These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

March release - New Camera Feedback

First post
Author
cBOLTSON
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#81 - 2016-04-02 01:48:21 UTC
Recently returned to the game and the new camera was one of the first things I had the pleasure (or displeasure) of dealing with.

At first I thought I would grow to like it but after a few hours of using it I quickly decided I much preferred the old camera. The old camera can do more with more customisation. The new camera has this really odd rotation around the front of the ship and swings out wildly. With the new camera I had to constantly adjust the FoV / camera position after undocks and gate jumps.

The old camera is superior CCP.

The good old days of Unreal Tournament, fragging and sniping on Facing Worlds, listening to Foregone Destruction.......

Ecrir Twy'Lar
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2016-04-02 14:35:53 UTC
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
If you have auto-tracking on then you can click on anything to direct your d-scan in that direction. The new map is not required to do this. Well, it is working for me at least... feel free to elaborate if I'm misunderstanding the issue.


Maybe I am misunderstanding as well. But, last I checked you cannot click on "anything" (within the map) and have your dscan "cone" point at it. This does not seem to work on bookmarks, signatures or anomalies. And it would be really nice if it did. I really like the new graphical representation of dscan in the map and it would be nice if it actually worked for everything.
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman
CK-0FF
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#83 - 2016-04-02 22:18:01 UTC
cBOLTSON wrote:
Recently returned to the game and the new camera was one of the first things I had the pleasure (or displeasure) of dealing with.

At first I thought I would grow to like it but after a few hours of using it I quickly decided I much preferred the old camera. The old camera can do more with more customisation. The new camera has this really odd rotation around the front of the ship and swings out wildly. With the new camera I had to constantly adjust the FoV / camera position after undocks and gate jumps.

The old camera is superior CCP.

The rotation and most of the wild swinging can probably be fixed by unchecking Dynamic Center Offset on the Display & Graphics tab of the esc menu. You might want to just uncheck all those settings and move the inertia slider a bit to the right.
Pobunjenik
Resbroko Liberation Fleet
#84 - 2016-04-04 10:58:10 UTC
Another issue: the First Person camera does not offset. I play EVE on a dual-monitor setup and the FP camera is always between two screens.
Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#85 - 2016-04-05 18:33:08 UTC
When I have tracking turned on and switch from one overview item to another the camera still does a lot of jerky bouncing stuff instead of just swinging over to the new target.

I have all the options in Display & Graphics unchecked.

Sometimes it'll work smoothly for awhile after I log in, then switch over to the jerky bouncing movements, and other times it will be jerky and bouncy from the start.

Do not run. We are your friends.

CCP Turtlepower
C C P
C C P Alliance
#86 - 2016-04-07 14:20:57 UTC
Ecrir Twy'Lar wrote:
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
If you have auto-tracking on then you can click on anything to direct your d-scan in that direction. The new map is not required to do this. Well, it is working for me at least... feel free to elaborate if I'm misunderstanding the issue.


Maybe I am misunderstanding as well. But, last I checked you cannot click on "anything" (within the map) and have your dscan "cone" point at it. This does not seem to work on bookmarks, signatures or anomalies. And it would be really nice if it did. I really like the new graphical representation of dscan in the map and it would be nice if it actually worked for everything.
I checked with bookmarks, and with auto-tracking on the cone moved when I clicked the bookmark marker in the system map. Do you have auto tracking on (shift+c toggles it)?
I did however find that having auto-track off and attempting to do this manually by holding C is not working. I've filed a defect and we can hopefully fix that soon.
Tyranis Marcus wrote:
When I have tracking turned on and switch from one overview item to another the camera still does a lot of jerky bouncing stuff instead of just swinging over to the new target.

I have all the options in Display & Graphics unchecked.

Sometimes it'll work smoothly for awhile after I log in, then switch over to the jerky bouncing movements, and other times it will be jerky and bouncy from the start.
Are you on Singularity or Tranquility? We have made some improvements to this camera movement on Singularity, so I just want to make sure we are looking at the same thing Smile

o7
CCP Turtlepower
Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#87 - 2016-04-07 14:38:07 UTC
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
Ecrir Twy'Lar wrote:
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
If you have auto-tracking on then you can click on anything to direct your d-scan in that direction. The new map is not required to do this. Well, it is working for me at least... feel free to elaborate if I'm misunderstanding the issue.


Maybe I am misunderstanding as well. But, last I checked you cannot click on "anything" (within the map) and have your dscan "cone" point at it. This does not seem to work on bookmarks, signatures or anomalies. And it would be really nice if it did. I really like the new graphical representation of dscan in the map and it would be nice if it actually worked for everything.
I checked with bookmarks, and with auto-tracking on the cone moved when I clicked the bookmark marker in the system map. Do you have auto tracking on (shift+c toggles it)?
I did however find that having auto-track off and attempting to do this manually by holding C is not working. I've filed a defect and we can hopefully fix that soon.
Tyranis Marcus wrote:
When I have tracking turned on and switch from one overview item to another the camera still does a lot of jerky bouncing stuff instead of just swinging over to the new target.

I have all the options in Display & Graphics unchecked.

Sometimes it'll work smoothly for awhile after I log in, then switch over to the jerky bouncing movements, and other times it will be jerky and bouncy from the start.
Are you on Singularity or Tranquility? We have made some improvements to this camera movement on Singularity, so I just want to make sure we are looking at the same thing Smile

o7
CCP Turtlepower


Tranquility.

Do not run. We are your friends.

Mister Ripley
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#88 - 2016-04-07 14:53:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Mister Ripley
Can you please remove the camera panning to a ships direction when using 'Look At'. It drives me nuts and I'm loosing orientation all the time.

Let's say I'm looking at another ship (with focus on my ship). Direction A. Then I'm using the 'Look At' function at said ship, the camera moves to the other ship and pans to the other ships flight direction (sometimes with some random offset to the side)*. Direction B. Then I disable the 'Look At' function and the camera moves back to my ship still facing Direction B.

The move back to my ship is totally fine, but why do you change the direction when using the 'Look At' function in the first place? It's such a weird behaviour and it's impossible to keep track of things in mind when every 'Look At' move changes the direction.
(I'm talking about orbit mode on TQ)

* This random offset to the side also happens when jumping, when the camera moves to the stargate for the jump tunnel animation.

The tracking camera focus still can't be moved to the side. The old behaviour was super nice and smooth, the new thing wobbles and shakes around like a drunk...
CCP Turtlepower
C C P
C C P Alliance
#89 - 2016-04-07 16:01:52 UTC
Mister Ripley wrote:
Can you please remove the camera panning to a ships direction when using 'Look At'. It drives me nuts and I'm loosing orientation all the time.

Let's say I'm looking at another ship (with focus on my ship). Direction A. Then I'm using the 'Look At' function at said ship, the camera moves to the other ship and pans to the other ships flight direction (sometimes with some random offset to the side)*. Direction B. Then I disable the 'Look At' function and the camera moves back to my ship still facing Direction B.

The move back to my ship is totally fine, but why do you change the direction when using the 'Look At' function in the first place? It's such a weird behaviour and it's impossible to keep track of things in mind when every 'Look At' move changes the direction.
(I'm talking about orbit mode on TQ)
This sounds like a bug, 'Look at' should not change camera angle. Could you please file a bug report? Please file it from in-game (press F12), and include as many screenshots as you can so that we can fully understand it.
Mister Ripley wrote:
* This random offset to the side also happens when jumping, when the camera moves to the stargate for the jump tunnel animation.
This should be fixed already on Singularity.

Thanks!
CCP Turtlepower
Albert Madullier
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2016-04-07 18:21:18 UTC
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
Mister Ripley wrote:
Can you please remove the camera panning to a ships direction when using 'Look At'. It drives me nuts and I'm loosing orientation all the time.

Let's say I'm looking at another ship (with focus on my ship). Direction A. Then I'm using the 'Look At' function at said ship, the camera moves to the other ship and pans to the other ships flight direction (sometimes with some random offset to the side)*. Direction B. Then I disable the 'Look At' function and the camera moves back to my ship still facing Direction B.

The move back to my ship is totally fine, but why do you change the direction when using the 'Look At' function in the first place? It's such a weird behaviour and it's impossible to keep track of things in mind when every 'Look At' move changes the direction.
(I'm talking about orbit mode on TQ)
This sounds like a bug, 'Look at' should not change camera angle. Could you please file a bug report? Please file it from in-game (press F12), and include as many screenshots as you can so that we can fully understand it.
Mister Ripley wrote:
* This random offset to the side also happens when jumping, when the camera moves to the stargate for the jump tunnel animation.
This should be fixed already on Singularity.

Thanks!
CCP Turtlepower


any update on the 21:9 ultrawide fov? it was in the new camera before the march patch but march release removed it
Mister Ripley
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#91 - 2016-04-07 19:15:45 UTC
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
Mister Ripley wrote:
Can you please remove the camera panning to a ships direction when using 'Look At'. It drives me nuts and I'm loosing orientation all the time.

Let's say I'm looking at another ship (with focus on my ship). Direction A. Then I'm using the 'Look At' function at said ship, the camera moves to the other ship and pans to the other ships flight direction (sometimes with some random offset to the side)*. Direction B. Then I disable the 'Look At' function and the camera moves back to my ship still facing Direction B.

The move back to my ship is totally fine, but why do you change the direction when using the 'Look At' function in the first place? It's such a weird behaviour and it's impossible to keep track of things in mind when every 'Look At' move changes the direction.
(I'm talking about orbit mode on TQ)
This sounds like a bug, 'Look at' should not change camera angle. Could you please file a bug report? Please file it from in-game (press F12), and include as many screenshots as you can so that we can fully understand it.
Mister Ripley wrote:
* This random offset to the side also happens when jumping, when the camera moves to the stargate for the jump tunnel animation.
This should be fixed already on Singularity.

Thanks!
CCP Turtlepower

Seems to be fixed on SiSi. Thank you!
Ecrir Twy'Lar
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#92 - 2016-04-08 00:49:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Ecrir Twy'Lar
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
Ecrir Twy'Lar wrote:
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
If you have auto-tracking on then you can click on anything to direct your d-scan in that direction. The new map is not required to do this. Well, it is working for me at least... feel free to elaborate if I'm misunderstanding the issue.


Maybe I am misunderstanding as well. But, last I checked you cannot click on "anything" (within the map) and have your dscan "cone" point at it. This does not seem to work on bookmarks, signatures or anomalies. And it would be really nice if it did. I really like the new graphical representation of dscan in the map and it would be nice if it actually worked for everything.
I checked with bookmarks, and with auto-tracking on the cone moved when I clicked the bookmark marker in the system map. Do you have auto tracking on (shift+c toggles it)?
I did however find that having auto-track off and attempting to do this manually by holding C is not working. I've filed a defect and we can hopefully fix that soon.
Tyranis Marcus wrote:
When I have tracking turned on and switch from one overview item to another the camera still does a lot of jerky bouncing stuff instead of just swinging over to the new target.

I have all the options in Display & Graphics unchecked.

Sometimes it'll work smoothly for awhile after I log in, then switch over to the jerky bouncing movements, and other times it will be jerky and bouncy from the start.
Are you on Singularity or Tranquility? We have made some improvements to this camera movement on Singularity, so I just want to make sure we are looking at the same thing Smile

o7
CCP Turtlepower


I am on Tranquility as well and I always have my tracking camera on. I can go try it out on Singularity.
Ecrir Twy'Lar
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#93 - 2016-04-08 14:31:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Ecrir Twy'Lar
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
Ecrir Twy'Lar wrote:
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
If you have auto-tracking on then you can click on anything to direct your d-scan in that direction. The new map is not required to do this. Well, it is working for me at least... feel free to elaborate if I'm misunderstanding the issue.


Maybe I am misunderstanding as well. But, last I checked you cannot click on "anything" (within the map) and have your dscan "cone" point at it. This does not seem to work on bookmarks, signatures or anomalies. And it would be really nice if it did. I really like the new graphical representation of dscan in the map and it would be nice if it actually worked for everything.
I checked with bookmarks, and with auto-tracking on the cone moved when I clicked the bookmark marker in the system map. Do you have auto tracking on (shift+c toggles it)?
I did however find that having auto-track off and attempting to do this manually by holding C is not working. I've filed a defect and we can hopefully fix that soon.
Tyranis Marcus wrote:
When I have tracking turned on and switch from one overview item to another the camera still does a lot of jerky bouncing stuff instead of just swinging over to the new target.

I have all the options in Display & Graphics unchecked.

Sometimes it'll work smoothly for awhile after I log in, then switch over to the jerky bouncing movements, and other times it will be jerky and bouncy from the start.
Are you on Singularity or Tranquility? We have made some improvements to this camera movement on Singularity, so I just want to make sure we are looking at the same thing Smile

o7
CCP Turtlepower


Ok, so I logged onto the test server this morning. I then went out into space. I made sure the "new camera" was enabled. I then made sure my auto tracking was on via the "shift-c" command. First thing I notice is that I absolutely do not like how it offsets my ship when panning to a celestial that I've clicked on. Mainly because when I go to manually move my camera again there is a moment where it centers the ship before it allows me to move the camera. This gives me the feeling of unresponsiveness. I want the camera to move when I move it. So I disabled the dynamic center offset. All better.

Ok, so the next thing I did was ensure that my tracking camera was enabled by clicking on items in my overview. It worked. My camera was panning to the items I clicked on. Then I opened my map via the dscan ui. I set my dscan to 5 degrees. Then I started clicking on celestials. This worked fine. My graphical dscan cone was pointing at any celestial that I selected on the map. Then I clicked on a bookmark. The map centered on the bookmark and the dscan cone does not point at it. If I open the map via the scan probe ui and select a signature or anomaly, the same thing happens. The map re-centers on the object instead of panning the dscan cone at it.

If I toggle my tracking camera off and click on anything on my map, the map centers on that object. When I toggle my tracking camera back on it seems to work for everything except bookmarks, signatures and anomalies.
cBOLTSON
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#94 - 2016-04-09 14:09:23 UTC
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman wrote:
cBOLTSON wrote:
Recently returned to the game and the new camera was one of the first things I had the pleasure (or displeasure) of dealing with.

At first I thought I would grow to like it but after a few hours of using it I quickly decided I much preferred the old camera. The old camera can do more with more customisation. The new camera has this really odd rotation around the front of the ship and swings out wildly. With the new camera I had to constantly adjust the FoV / camera position after undocks and gate jumps.

The old camera is superior CCP.

The rotation and most of the wild swinging can probably be fixed by unchecking Dynamic Center Offset on the Display & Graphics tab of the esc menu. You might want to just uncheck all those settings and move the inertia slider a bit to the right.


After some more use I think that I can say that the new camera does have potential. I was able to make the camera feel a bit better with some settings changes however it still has a few issues.

- The Tactical overlay with the range spheres / rings can be a bit problematic at times when changing cameras.

- I Still find that when jumping systems or undocking that the camera FoV settings has been reset.

- I still miss the right click to look around.

I do like the first person camera though it would be great if we could change the FoV of that perhaps?
All in all its not terrible but its not quite there yet still.

The good old days of Unreal Tournament, fragging and sniping on Facing Worlds, listening to Foregone Destruction.......

Miss 'Assassination' Cayman
CK-0FF
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#95 - 2016-04-09 22:26:24 UTC
cBOLTSON wrote:
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman wrote:
cBOLTSON wrote:
Recently returned to the game and the new camera was one of the first things I had the pleasure (or displeasure) of dealing with.

At first I thought I would grow to like it but after a few hours of using it I quickly decided I much preferred the old camera. The old camera can do more with more customisation. The new camera has this really odd rotation around the front of the ship and swings out wildly. With the new camera I had to constantly adjust the FoV / camera position after undocks and gate jumps.

The old camera is superior CCP.

The rotation and most of the wild swinging can probably be fixed by unchecking Dynamic Center Offset on the Display & Graphics tab of the esc menu. You might want to just uncheck all those settings and move the inertia slider a bit to the right.


After some more use I think that I can say that the new camera does have potential. I was able to make the camera feel a bit better with some settings changes however it still has a few issues.

- The Tactical overlay with the range spheres / rings can be a bit problematic at times when changing cameras.

- I Still find that when jumping systems or undocking that the camera FoV settings has been reset.

- I still miss the right click to look around.

I do like the first person camera though it would be great if we could change the FoV of that perhaps?
All in all its not terrible but its not quite there yet still.

The tactical overlay will be changing significantly with the Citadels release. I'm not sure if it will fix whatever problems you had though.

You can change the FoV in first person camera. Instead of zooming it changes the FoV.
Hanna Hunter
Sandbox Castle
#96 - 2016-04-10 21:01:57 UTC
I definitely don't like the new camera.
No possibility to choose the point of view around the ship, my ship is always on the left side, can't go on the right or top or bottom.
And no possibility to take screenshot with the shift-optique, not to put the target on the middle of the screen. This was very appreciate et very usefull.
CCP Turtlepower
C C P
C C P Alliance
#97 - 2016-04-11 10:33:42 UTC
Albert Madullier wrote:
any update on the 21:9 ultrawide fov? it was in the new camera before the march patch but march release removed it.
Sorry, no update.
Ecrir Twy'Lar wrote:
...I clicked on a bookmark. The map centered on the bookmark and the dscan cone does not point at it. If I open the map via the scan probe ui and select a signature or anomaly, the same thing happens. The map re-centers on the object instead of panning the dscan cone at it.
This is a known issue, we hope to fix it soon.
cBOLTSON wrote:
- The Tactical overlay with the range spheres / rings can be a bit problematic at times when changing cameras.
What exactly do you mean? Can you provide more details or maybe file a bug report?
cBOLTSON wrote:
- I still miss the right click to look around.
We are adding this asap.

o7
CCP Turtlepower // Team Psycho Sisters
Ecrir Twy'Lar
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#98 - 2016-04-11 15:15:35 UTC
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
Ecrir Twy'Lar wrote:
...I clicked on a bookmark. The map centered on the bookmark and the dscan cone does not point at it. If I open the map via the scan probe ui and select a signature or anomaly, the same thing happens. The map re-centers on the object instead of panning the dscan cone at it.
This is a known issue, we hope to fix it soon.


o7
CCP Turtlepower // Team Psycho Sisters


Awesome! Thanks!
Areen Sassel
Dirac Angestun Gesept
#99 - 2016-04-12 03:00:46 UTC
Pobunjenik wrote:
Another issue: the First Person camera does not offset. I play EVE on a dual-monitor setup and the FP camera is always between two screens.


Interestingly I now find the camera itself offsets (obvious when flying up to a gate or station) - it's just the HUD elements that stay dead centre. I don't know which the D-scan cone is locked to.
Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#100 - 2016-04-14 18:05:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyranis Marcus
I'm having a problem on the test server with Dynamic Center Offset.

I'm in a Deimos orbiting an Abaddon with the camera tracking the Abaddon. My orbit path takes me directly above and below the Abaddon. When I cross those points, and my camera is looking almost straight up or down, it goes into a fast spin for several rotations, then as my orbit continues it stops as suddenly as it started.

Screw gimbal lock. This is a gimbal blender!

edit: With some careful ship positioning, I can get a permanent spin, as expected, then turn it on and off by toggling Dynamic Center Offset in the esc menu.

Do not run. We are your friends.