These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

World War Bee and lag

Author
Botticelli
Doomheim
#1 - 2016-04-01 06:47:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Botticelli
I was one of the unfortunates who travelled 20 odd systems (through often extreme lag), only to be smart bombed on the J-GAMP gate in M-OEE8, also due to lag - we tried to jump in and then everything froze.

For reference Reddit post on the incident

So I missed the battle.......

The point is, it would be great if CCP could allocate more server resources to the war zone for the duration.

I understand that each constellation is on its own shard, but perhaps some constellations need to be divided into multiple shards, or whatever trick CCP does with Jita (which always seems to have thousands of players, but no lag).

Anyway, I was more disappointed with missing the battle in J-GAMP than the Imperium defeat........

CCP is using great marketing to let lapsed players know about the war, so let's not disappoint them with laggy, unplayable fights.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#2 - 2016-04-01 07:00:58 UTC
Botticelli wrote:
I was one of the unfortunates who travelled 20 odd systems (through often extreme lag), only to be smart bombed on the J-GAMP gate in M-OEE8, also due to lag - we tried to jump in and then everything froze.

For reference Reddit post on the incident

So I missed the battle.......

The point is, it would be great if CCP could allocate more server resources to the war zone for the duration.

I understand that each constellation is on its own shard, but perhaps some constellations need to be divided into multiple shards, or whatever trick CCP does with Jita (which always seems to have thousands of players, but no lag).

Anyway, I was more disappointed with missing the battle in J-GAMP than the Imperium defeat........

CCP is using great marketing to let lapsed players know about the war, so let's not disappoint them with laggy, unplayable fights.


That's not how the server allocation works.

See this other reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/4cpkdx/eve_news_fleet_fight_notifications_you_ccp_falcon/

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
Brave Collective
#3 - 2016-04-01 07:21:50 UTC
Botticelli wrote:
...
CCP is using great marketing to let lapsed players know about the war, so let's not disappoint them with laggy, unplayable fights.


They probably know.
I've had enough of the giant battles this game can't cope with, so i can't relate to those people who love doing things IN DROVES.
When i hear of a great crowd forming to pew, my smile falters, my attention wanders.
It's similar to the issue with roads, traffic jam? More roads! Which get jammed.
I don't have any solutions, i'm that one guy who isn't a game developer. I'm more than familiar with the problems though, and wish CCP well in changing things so we can get past them.


Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Botticelli
Doomheim
#4 - 2016-04-01 07:26:18 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
That's not how the server allocation works.

See this other reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/4cpkdx/eve_news_fleet_fight_notifications_you_ccp_falcon/




Yes, I know about this.

My point is, I guess, the whole war zone is fluid and major battles erupt constantly and at unexpected times. It'd be great if CCP could help with the lag given this unpredictable nature of war.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#5 - 2016-04-01 08:17:15 UTC
Botticelli wrote:
My point is, I guess, the whole war zone is fluid and major battles erupt constantly and at unexpected times. It'd be great if CCP could help with the lag given this unpredictable nature of war.
I'm pretty sure CCP has no Psychics on staff.

Mr Epeen Cool
Botticelli
Doomheim
#6 - 2016-04-01 08:41:22 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
I'm pretty sure CCP has no Psychics on staff.

Mr Epeen Cool



Haha, very funny.... it doesn't take psychic abilities to predict that certain regions (Dek, Branch, Fade) are probably going to have a huge number of large fights over the next few weeks and perhaps months.
Demica Diaz
SE-1
#7 - 2016-04-01 08:53:09 UTC
Most players in Jita are docked up though. Overall CCP has improved big battles in EVE by quite a bit since old days. But I get your frustration of being smart bombed after long trip. Roll

Neuntausend
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2016-04-01 13:28:32 UTC
Botticelli wrote:
Haha, very funny.... it doesn't take psychic abilities to predict that certain regions (Dek, Branch, Fade) are probably going to have a huge number of large fights over the next few weeks and perhaps months.


Yes, but do you know how many systems there are in a Konstellation, let alone a region? Tranquility simply doesn't have enough Everest nodes to cover all of the possible locations for the next major battle and putting multiple systems nearby onto one everest node would defeat the purpose, as even if the battle may be happening in just one system, there will be thousands of ships moving in the neighboring systems as well that would just be adding to the lag were the systems on the same node.

This used to be easier in Dominion: "Oh, the timer is in BL-AH12, let's put that on an everest node." Now the big battle can happen anywhere in the constellation the timer is in, and there are quite a few timers ticking at any given time.
Sustrai Aditua
Intandofisa
#9 - 2016-04-01 20:52:18 UTC
CoolBOYCOTT REDDIT!!!Cool


Go back to your dirty den. Stop littering our forum.

If we get chased by zombies, I'm tripping you.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#10 - 2016-04-01 21:01:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Herzog Wolfhammer
There must be something in the way of having say a "floater blade" that automatically balances load out when a large spontaneous fight breaks out.


(That's what I would do)

But we can armchair-general this 7 ways to Sunday. It is what it is.

And from the looks of things, these might be the last great battles of Eve anyway. After Imperium falls (or is reduced to just a shadow of it's former self), there will be no more.

... except when "Sauron" tries to make a comeback some years later, when the dwarves and elves and man have drifted apart again, when the blood of Númenor is all but spent... ah you all know the drill

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#11 - 2016-04-01 21:34:34 UTC
You got smartbombed because you read and/or post on Reddit


Seems to me like the punishment fits the crime

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Lykouleon
Noble Sentiments
Second Empire.
#12 - 2016-04-01 21:44:01 UTC
I remember a time when 100 people in system caused disconnects, desyncs, and rubber-banding in warp.

Lykouleon > CYNO ME CLOSER so I can hit them with my sword

Neuntausend
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2016-04-01 21:58:22 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
There must be something in the way of having say a "floater blade" that automatically balances load out when a large spontaneous fight breaks out.


The way I understand it is, that each system basically is a single server process. You can't just split one process into two so it can run on multiple nodes, as that would probably cause different objects in the system to get out of sync, and you can't just move a process from one node to the other one the fly, without disconnecting everyone. So, load balancing is not a realtime matter here. The "solution" they came up with was, to predict where the power would be needed and assigning a particularly strong node - the so called "Everest Node" to that system during downtime. This hasn't changed, and won't change anytime soon, I'm afraid.

It's not stellar, but it's the best we can have at the moment.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#14 - 2016-04-01 23:33:33 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#15 - 2016-04-02 00:04:35 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
There must be something in the way of having say a "floater blade" that automatically balances load out when a large spontaneous fight breaks out.


The way I understand it is, that each system basically is a single server process. You can't just split one process into two so it can run on multiple nodes, as that would probably cause different objects in the system to get out of sync, and you can't just move a process from one node to the other one the fly, without disconnecting everyone. So, load balancing is not a realtime matter here. The "solution" they came up with was, to predict where the power would be needed and assigning a particularly strong node - the so called "Everest Node" to that system during downtime. This hasn't changed, and won't change anytime soon, I'm afraid.

It's not stellar, but it's the best we can have at the moment.



I figured it was something like that. My only experience in load balancing is configuring CARP in pfSense routers. To have instant balance/failover for all nodes they would all have to be master-slave to each other or have systems set up as "slave" to every node. Such a blade would have to be the size of a truck, even rhetorically.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#16 - 2016-04-02 00:19:44 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
Botticelli wrote:
Haha, very funny.... it doesn't take psychic abilities to predict that certain regions (Dek, Branch, Fade) are probably going to have a huge number of large fights over the next few weeks and perhaps months.


Yes, but do you know how many systems there are in a Konstellation, let alone a region? Tranquility simply doesn't have enough Everest nodes to cover all of the possible locations for the next major battle and putting multiple systems nearby onto one everest node would defeat the purpose, as even if the battle may be happening in just one system, there will be thousands of ships moving in the neighboring systems as well that would just be adding to the lag were the systems on the same node.

This used to be easier in Dominion: "Oh, the timer is in BL-AH12, let's put that on an everest node." Now the big battle can happen anywhere in the constellation the timer is in, and there are quite a few timers ticking at any given time.


Technically they can ghetto reinforce a node by off-loading all other system off they node without crashing the big fight but it's not as good as the proper high end nodes and force crash all other systems that were on this same node as the solar system has to be re-allocated across the cluster.

One of the last time I remember them doing this, they sadly fat fingered the command and told the node to off-load all systems on it except one that didn't even exist in the game or something like that instantly crashing the solar system where the fight was taking place.

It's also much less useful with today SOV as the load could jump to another system 5 minutes later because the nodes spawned elsewhere and then you are back at square one.
Aiwha
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#17 - 2016-04-02 16:29:04 UTC
Lykouleon wrote:
I remember a time when 100 people in system caused disconnects, desyncs, and rubber-banding in warp.





Yeah, tidi sucks but its WAAAAAY better than the old days.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#18 - 2016-04-02 16:34:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Andski
Here's a screenshot of what it would look like to jump into a massive fight before TiDi.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Jade Blackwind
#19 - 2016-04-02 16:40:13 UTC
Soul-crushing lag , 2011 edition
Aiwha
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#20 - 2016-04-02 16:45:11 UTC
Andski wrote:
Here's a screenshot of what it would look like to jump into a massive fight before TiDi.



Yeah, whoever showed up first pretty much won the day.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

12Next page