These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Salvage Loadout

Author
Dante Freedan
Eclipse Industry Inc
#1 - 2016-03-21 20:39:49 UTC
Hey guys. I have a lowsec mission running fit on one account, with a Drake. Killing stuff is easy enough, but even with Salvage Drones, the ship is sooo slow that picking the stuff up is a pain.

So, I'm wondering what kind of set up (ship, fit, etc) a secondary account would need to salvage while my primary is doing a mission. I have about 100-150mil to play with here.

Ideally, it would be fast, able to salvage (obviously,) and have the ability to carry a fair amount of salvaged goods.

I also have a couple questions regarding this. Would it be wise to clear the mission before beginning to salvage, or is it viable to begin salvaging while the Drake is killing rats? Is there anything else I should keep in mind while doing this?
Deitra Vess
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#2 - 2016-03-21 20:48:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Deitra Vess
Noctis should work (not sure their price) that or use a mtu (mobile tractor unit) and comeback in a destroyer with salvagers. MAKE SURE YOU BOOKMARK THEM IN EVERY ROOM. Doing that you could use a single character for that. If you pass in the mission the gates disappear.
Dante Freedan
Eclipse Industry Inc
#3 - 2016-03-21 21:02:22 UTC
Deitra Vess wrote:
Noctis should work (not sure their price) that or use a mtu (mobile tractor unit) and comeback in a destroyer with salvagers. MAKE SURE YOU BOOKMARK THEM IN EVERY ROOM. Doing that you could use a single character for that. If you pass in the mission the gates disappear.


I already have two accounts, and I'm looking to be more efficient about this. Would it be viable, or highly dangerous, to warp in with the Noctis on a second account, while still doing the mission, and start salvaging?

Additionally, are MTUs single use? If so, then it seems like it would get very pricey very quickly to use them.
Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#4 - 2016-03-21 21:17:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Drago Shouna
Dante Freedan wrote:
Deitra Vess wrote:
Noctis should work (not sure their price) that or use a mtu (mobile tractor unit) and comeback in a destroyer with salvagers. MAKE SURE YOU BOOKMARK THEM IN EVERY ROOM. Doing that you could use a single character for that. If you pass in the mission the gates disappear.


I already have two accounts, and I'm looking to be more efficient about this. Would it be viable, or highly dangerous, to warp in with the Noctis on a second account, while still doing the mission, and start salvaging?

Additionally, are MTUs single use? If so, then it seems like it would get very pricey very quickly to use them.


Nope you can use an MTU over and over, just deploy it and let it drag everything in and loot them. Then deploy salvage drones when they have the wrecks on your doorstep.

DON'T FORGET TO SCOOP IT BACK INTO YOUR CARGO HOLD.

Also keep an eye on the amount of salvage you collect, sometimes you can run out of space for the MTU, WHICH YOU WON'T FORGET TO COLLECT. So sometimes you have to juggle which salvage you don't want.

You have to decide what's better, an expensive Noctis or MTU. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome salvaging ship.

On 2 accounts I just clear the first room then follow with the Noctis room to room, just approach the acceleration gate to the next room collecting everything on the way. It's a good idea to wait for a room clearing before going through.

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2016-03-21 21:22:31 UTC
MTUs are not single use but they can be shot at without any standing hit or concord interaction and are very easy to scan down.

IMHO the whole reason to mission in low or null sec is for the better mission rewards which is to say better LP. I would not bother with loot and salvage mission running in low or null sec.

For the most isk per hour in high sec you want to speed run missions and ignore loot. In low sec that is only more true with want to keep your exposure time to a minimum.

Also dividing you attention between two accounts in low sec seems problematic to me as well.

However this is just my two cents. You might be able to find a way to make it work. I'm just saying that I can not.

If you still want to do it I would say the cheaper the better.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#6 - 2016-03-21 21:26:55 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
ergherhdfgh wrote:

Also dividing you attention between two accounts in low sec seems problematic to me as well.


THIS.


Now that you exposed yourself as someone who dual-box while in low-sec in a PvE ship + a total non-combat ship, expect people to join you...In the no so friendly way.



I can also confirm:


Blitz the missions, make your exposure to space as short as possible.

And if you really want to mob up the missions, MTU + dessie-salvager is best.
Mission run for a about 1 / 1.5 hour and bookmark all sites, then do a salvage run while you have the main parked in station.

This way you can pay 100% attention to what ever you are doing.

That said, again, the time spent salvaging means you ain't running missions....which hurts your income more then the value of the salvage stuff (unless you are lucky with a very high value drop).

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Dante Freedan
Eclipse Industry Inc
#7 - 2016-03-21 21:38:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Dante Freedan
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. It leaves a lot to be pondered.

J'Poll wrote:

Now that you exposed yourself as someone who dual-box while in low-sec in a PvE ship + a total non-combat ship, expect people to join you...In the no so friendly way.


Posting such on the forums can leave me exposed? How would people even find me with as huge as this game is?

J'Poll wrote:

That said, again, the time spent salvaging means you ain't running missions....which hurts your income more then the value of the salvage stuff (unless you are lucky with a very high value drop).


I've read this several times and it has confused me. Let's say I spend 20-30 mins killing mobs to finish a mission...this gives me like 500k-1mil. I salvage for roughly the same amount of time, and end up with 3-4mil in loot. How is it faster to blitz missions?
Deitra Vess
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#8 - 2016-03-21 22:27:13 UTC
I don't really run missions often (I do Indy & pi for isk) so the second part I'll leave for more appropriate answerers. I can find you right now by using a locater agent, I can figure out when your usually on by looking at your killboard (if you've lost a ship I can get an idea of your tz and actually your main stomping grounds). Obviously I'm not going to, I don't like shooting non pvp people, no fun in it for me. More people do than don't from my experience though.
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#9 - 2016-03-21 22:35:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Iria Ahrens
Dante Freedan wrote:


Posting such on the forums can leave me exposed? How would people even find me with as huge as this game is?


Oh, I love this. I am too jaded now.

To answer your question. There are locator agents. When you have enough standing, you ask the locator agent where someone is, and after a period of time, they tell you. Luckily, they can't tell when you are logged on anymore.

Quote:


I've read this several times and it has confused me. Let's say I spend 20-30 mins killing mobs to finish a mission...this gives me like 500k-1mil. I salvage for roughly the same amount of time, and end up with 3-4mil in loot. How is it faster to blitz missions?


Most of the money in mission running is from the LP store. Since the LP reward is a flat amount, blitzing allows for a higher LP/hour rate. Players that concentrate on LP store income brag about 200m/hour. Although, I personally think anything that makes 200m an hour or more will be shortly crowded with competition, and the profit rate will go down.

The SOE ships used to be twice as expensive as they are now. The competition has halved the income of those who specialized in SOE missions.

TBH, the whole blitzing thing is an advanced technique that you use later in high DPS ships doing Level 4 missions which make over 10k LP/mission. Looting is fine for now since you're new and by definition poor, but I"d only loot in HS, or clear then loot as J'Poll said.

For now just be advised that the official forums are considered part of the game. So changing behavior based on forum presence is allowed. Wars have been started for remarks made on the forums. That's why ergh is a forum alt, she won't post with her main because she doesn't want to risk a backlash in game from her forum posts. She is not alone in this, many players will only post with alts, others strictly post with their mains. I just ergh chose an easier to spell forum name.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Dante Freedan
Eclipse Industry Inc
#10 - 2016-03-21 22:58:28 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:


Oh, I love this. I am too jaded now.

To answer your question. There are locator agents. When you have enough standing, you ask the locator agent where someone is, and after a period of time, they tell you. Luckily, they can't tell when you are logged on anymore.


That's really good to know.

Iria Ahrens wrote:
Most of the money in mission running is from the LP store. Since the LP reward is a flat amount, blitzing allows for a higher LP/hour rate. Players that concentrate on LP store income brag about 200m/hour. Although, I personally think anything that makes 200m an hour or more will be shortly crowded with competition, and the profit rate will go down.


I see. I'll keep that in mind, but I'm likely going to end up continuing to salvage. For now, it's enjoyable to find new and interesting things.

Iria Ahrens wrote:
For now just be advised that the official forums are considered part of the game. So changing behavior based on forum presence is allowed. Wars have been started for remarks made on the forums. That's why ergh is a forum alt, she won't post with her main because she doesn't want to risk a backlash in game from her forum posts. She is not alone in this, many players will only post with alts, others strictly post with their mains. I just ergh chose an easier to spell forum name.


You won't hear me complain about this. It's completely logical; I just had no idea that players could find others in game. But it makes sense, considering bounties are a thing.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2016-03-22 02:07:05 UTC
payout of a mission is determined, in part by the sec rating of the system. Lower sec pays out more isk reward and more LP.

SoE is a good example of my next point. The faction "The Servant Sisters of EVE" have 3 corps The corp "Sisters of EVE" Exists in high sec and has an LP store with nearly identical pricing as the other factions for the same or similar stuff. The corporation "The Santuary" is an SoE corp that exists only in low or null sec. They have much cheaper prices on items in the LP store.

There for not only do you get better LP rewards in low sec but your LP are worth more. At least if you are running missions for a low sec only corp.

Example Stratios:

With SoE corp the ship is 300K LP and 20 Million isk. The BPC is 120K LP and 30 Million isk.

With The Sanctuary the ship is 240K LP and 15 Million isk and the BPC is 80K LP and 20 Million isk.

As you can see the BPCs of the ship are one and a half times more expensive in both LP and isk in high sec and you get more LP per mission in low / null.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2016-03-22 12:50:45 UTC
In hostile space, MTU plus catalyst. Anything else is excessive.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Dante Freedan
Eclipse Industry Inc
#13 - 2016-03-22 12:54:10 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
payout of a mission is determined, in part by the sec rating of the system. Lower sec pays out more isk reward and more LP.

SoE is a good example of my next point. The faction "The Servant Sisters of EVE" have 3 corps The corp "Sisters of EVE" Exists in high sec and has an LP store with nearly identical pricing as the other factions for the same or similar stuff. The corporation "The Santuary" is an SoE corp that exists only in low or null sec. They have much cheaper prices on items in the LP store.

There for not only do you get better LP rewards in low sec but your LP are worth more. At least if you are running missions for a low sec only corp.

Example Stratios:

With SoE corp the ship is 300K LP and 20 Million isk. The BPC is 120K LP and 30 Million isk.

With The Sanctuary the ship is 240K LP and 15 Million isk and the BPC is 80K LP and 20 Million isk.

As you can see the BPCs of the ship are one and a half times more expensive in both LP and isk in high sec and you get more LP per mission in low / null.


Huh. Is there a resource for a new player to get more information on where to focus? Or is it going to be a lot of guess and check work?
Dante Freedan
Eclipse Industry Inc
#14 - 2016-03-22 12:57:12 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:
In hostile space, MTU plus catalyst. Anything else is excessive.

I don't have any Gallente skills trained. Also, being a Caldari, would the ship itself be expensive?
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#15 - 2016-03-22 13:20:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Iria Ahrens
Any t1 dessy should be fine. It doesn't have to be a catalyst. The point Cara was making was to keep it cheap. In the OP you said you were flying a Drake into LS and she picked up on that while the rest of us totally overlooked it and focused on the rest of your question.

Newbie + Drake in LS = Bad.
Solo drake is LS is a bad idea in general. T1 Dessy is a lot more maneuverable, you could probably even speed kite with some of them, and getting blown up by a hostile won't be nearly as painful as being blown up in a drake.

Quote:
Huh. Is there a resource for a new player to get more information on where to focus? Or is it going to be a lot of guess and check work?

https://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/lpstore/ has a bunch of resources that are useful. The numbers are estimates only and are often wrong, but they can help.

After looking up the numbers, you then have to go to the market and verify them, and check the volume. It doesn't matter how much an items is selling for if no one is buying.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#16 - 2016-03-22 14:39:01 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:

Newbie + Drake in LS = Bad.
Solo drake is LS is a bad idea in general. T1 Dessy is a lot more maneuverable, you could probably even speed kite with some of them, and getting blown up by a hostile won't be nearly as painful as being blown up in a drake.

I actually meant the destroyer as the salvage boat (any race is fine). There are many low sec sites that can't be done in a destroyer and a drake is actually one of the cheaper options for those. Of course you should never fly anything you can't afford to lose, even in high sec.

I should probably mention that most people don't even bother to salvage in low sec, whether it's missions or DED sites. Missions are generally more profitable if you just rush through them (blitz) for the LP, and DEDS generally have a single large loot drop that is potentially worth way more than the salvage.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Dante Freedan
Eclipse Industry Inc
#17 - 2016-03-22 15:36:34 UTC
It's not that big of a deal to lose it, as it's insured. It would suck to lose the insurance premium...but it wouldn't be THAT large of a blow.

The fact that people can find me makes me very wary of low sec though. And from what lots of you have said, it might be a good idea to just mission run in high sec. That said, it's more fun for me to salvage than to kill things. So, exploration might be more my style then? Is it even worth it to go exploring for salvage in high sec?
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
Federation Uprising
#18 - 2016-03-22 16:37:50 UTC
To me salvage is more about gaining the parts for industrial needs. We are always salvaging everything so we can make the higher profits from modules we build as a company. If you pay for them, you lose profit. If you salvage them yourselves, it's just time lost and usually having fun blowing up whatever it was that you were farming for salvage.

With two cruisers, we can have a normal sized HS site down in under 5 minutes and salvaged in about the same amount of time. We claim we clean up the mess we make. The extra loot and reward ISK is just gravy on the top.

Salvage in and of itself really wouldn't pay well (as has been said), and in that respect its somewhat like mining. However, mix it with building things and it suddenly seems to make things more profitable for your company that builds stuff.

I'm just using a T1 cruiser with 5 salvage drones.

The game doesn't have to be about making ISK. It should be about having FUN while making some ISK! What you define as fun is up to you. Big smile
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#19 - 2016-03-22 17:11:07 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
To me salvage is more about gaining the parts for industrial needs. We are always salvaging everything so we can make the higher profits from modules we build as a company. If you pay for them, you lose profit. If you salvage them yourselves, it's just time lost and usually having fun blowing up whatever it was that you were farming for salvage.]

Free materials are not free. Whether you salvage them or purchase them, they have a value. Many beginner industrialists actually end up losing profits because they are building things using their "free"materials, when the raw materials are actually worth more.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#20 - 2016-03-22 20:50:39 UTC
Dante Freedan wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. It leaves a lot to be pondered.

J'Poll wrote:

Now that you exposed yourself as someone who dual-box while in low-sec in a PvE ship + a total non-combat ship, expect people to join you...In the no so friendly way.


Posting such on the forums can leave me exposed? How would people even find me with as huge as this game is?

J'Poll wrote:

That said, again, the time spent salvaging means you ain't running missions....which hurts your income more then the value of the salvage stuff (unless you are lucky with a very high value drop).


I've read this several times and it has confused me. Let's say I spend 20-30 mins killing mobs to finish a mission...this gives me like 500k-1mil. I salvage for roughly the same amount of time, and end up with 3-4mil in loot. How is it faster to blitz missions?




There are NPC locator agents that for a minor payment will locate you as long as you aren't in wormhole space. So finding your location, specially as a missionrunner (they stick around their agent), isn't all that hard in EVE.




As for the 2nd part.

Mission income is MORE then just mission reward ISK

* LP conversion
* Bounty payments


If you blitz missions (only kill the triggers and high-value bounties) you can actually do missions in such a great time that you can do 4 or 5 missions in the time it takes to complete 1 mission by killing everything.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

12Next page