These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Property/Asset Tax? What would happen?

Author
Scotsman Howard
S0utherN Comfort
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#1 - 2016-02-22 21:54:30 UTC
I AM IN NO WAY SUGGESTING THIS TO BE A FEATURE!!!!

There took care of people yelling at me that this is a stupid idea. I know, but this is something me and a friend were discussing. We honestly could not think through the entire economic impact this would have in Eve. Yes, we could tie in some real life examples, but Eve is slightly different from real life in terms of asset life, all items are the same, etc.


What if there was a monthly tax based on the value of all physical assets a player owned? This would be a huge isk sink.

Hypothetically, what would happen?

Our initial reaction was that prices would tank as people sold off old junk they don't use, but it was the long term affects we could not see.

We thought the tax would have to take into consideration market orders as people would just put all their items in obscenely high prices market orders to "hide" the asset.

The industry side of things were not clear to us either.
Ria Nieyli
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2016-02-22 22:06:05 UTC
This is a stupid idea.
Alexi Stokov
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2016-02-22 22:25:15 UTC
What is the point of this exercise?
Xylem Viliana
homeless bum
#4 - 2016-02-22 23:05:49 UTC
Cant see it being of any sense...

I agree prices would crash on a lot of assets but long term I see it being a really bad thing on eve, PVP players having to pay taxes to keep their stocks of ships at the ready, nullsec blocks that are on deployment with their gear being essentially punished for bringing the needed gear and ships.

3rd parties being taxed more for holding assets etc.

I cannot see any possible way this would actually have a positive impact on EvE, Since I started the game I have watched the average numbers online drop slowly (ok like a stone with WiS) and something like this would likely spell the end of eve once and for all.

I am by no means space rich in ISK or assets, I have what I need and what I want, but even a 0.5% tax would still add up to a large amount, with a full time job and limited play time... No.

Stupid idea, no real point to it. Bad for the community and bad for EvE IMO.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2016-02-23 01:00:07 UTC
Scotsman Howard wrote:

What if there was a monthly tax based on the value of all physical assets a player owned? This would be a huge isk sink.

Hypothetically, what would happen?

Our initial reaction was that prices would tank as people sold off old junk they don't use, but it was the long term affects we could not see.

We thought the tax would have to take into consideration market orders as people would just put all their items in obscenely high prices market orders to "hide" the asset.

The industry side of things were not clear to us either.


What do you mean the long term effect cannot be known? Prices would go up. People would buy less (if I buy stuff I'll be hit with the tax), people would supply less (if I buy stuff for say invention/manufacturing I'll get taxed).

Did you not take intermediate micro-economic theory or something?

Of course, what about corporate hangars? Would assets there be subject to the tax? If not, I would expect to see an explosion of "tax shelter" corporations.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2016-02-23 01:01:01 UTC
Xylem Viliana wrote:
Cant see it being of any sense...

I agree prices would crash on a lot of assets but long term I see it being a really bad thing on eve, PVP players having to pay taxes to keep their stocks of ships at the ready, nullsec blocks that are on deployment with their gear being essentially punished for bringing the needed gear and ships.

3rd parties being taxed more for holding assets etc.

I cannot see any possible way this would actually have a positive impact on EvE, Since I started the game I have watched the average numbers online drop slowly (ok like a stone with WiS) and something like this would likely spell the end of eve once and for all.

I am by no means space rich in ISK or assets, I have what I need and what I want, but even a 0.5% tax would still add up to a large amount, with a full time job and limited play time... No.

Stupid idea, no real point to it. Bad for the community and bad for EvE IMO.



Here is a crazy idea....just nerf the ISK faucet instead.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#7 - 2016-02-23 01:20:32 UTC
This would cause utter chaos in pricing.

Obviously IRL does have this. If you buy a million barrels of oil, you need to spend money storing it. EVE lets you do this free.

In game, some of the effects would be dramatically decreased stockpiling of ships and as a result, logistical bottlenecks in wars.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Adunh Slavy
#8 - 2016-02-23 03:43:22 UTC
Players would discover ways to hide wealth all over the game in ways that would cost CCP quite a few CPU cycles, not to mention subscriptions.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Jerry T Pepridge
Meta Game Analysis and Investment INC.
#9 - 2016-02-23 03:44:45 UTC
Great idea, it would force ppl into 'just in time' for production, will force steady volume.

it would also put stuff in space, like poses which already pay the tax so speds that can be bother shooting towers have increase chance of finding an easter egg

@JerryTPepridge

Amarrchecko
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2016-02-23 04:51:12 UTC
Scotsman Howard wrote:
I AM IN NO WAY SUGGESTING THIS TO BE A FEATURE!!!!

There took care of people yelling at me that this is a stupid idea. I know, but this is something me and a friend were discussing. We honestly could not think through the entire economic impact this would have in Eve. Yes, we could tie in some real life examples, but Eve is slightly different from real life in terms of asset life, all items are the same, etc.


What if there was a monthly tax based on the value of all physical assets a player owned? This would be a huge isk sink.

Hypothetically, what would happen?

Our initial reaction was that prices would tank as people sold off old junk they don't use, but it was the long term affects we could not see.

We thought the tax would have to take into consideration market orders as people would just put all their items in obscenely high prices market orders to "hide" the asset.

The industry side of things were not clear to us either.


Tax dodger merc corps could be a thing then.

Make it so.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2016-02-23 05:52:24 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
This would cause utter chaos in pricing.

Obviously IRL does have this. If you buy a million barrels of oil, you need to spend money storing it. EVE lets you do this free.

In game, some of the effects would be dramatically decreased stockpiling of ships and as a result, logistical bottlenecks in wars.



Storage costs are not the same as a wealth/asset tax.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

morion
Lighting Build
#12 - 2016-02-23 13:34:48 UTC  |  Edited by: morion
Inconvenient

NIRP

I suspect velocity of Isk would increase sharply.

Players played hot potato with infinity stuff reserves

and prices trended toward 00.01 Isk

or

Taxed = Isk + Stuff its a wash

Calling predatory lending a savings account !Big smile

Stealth PLEX is too high thread... ?
Aptenodytes
Reckless Abandon
#13 - 2016-02-23 14:00:15 UTC
Returning to the game after 3 years break.

"Your tax bill is ISK 232,335,794,346,873.45. Visa or Mastercard?"
Aaril
Interstellar Consulting Group
#14 - 2016-02-23 17:45:14 UTC
SInce this thread is about a feature request, can I add to the mix?

CCP, please create a down vote function for your forums.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#15 - 2016-02-23 21:49:42 UTC
Aptenodytes wrote:
Returning to the game after 3 years break.

"Your tax bill is ISK 232,335,794,346,873.45. Visa or Mastercard?"



This is why this will never happen.

Reduced ISK supply would, however, be a good thing.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com