These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Vexor

Author
Xzanos
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2015-12-28 20:23:34 UTC
Vexor OP
Agree? Disagree?
Discuss....

Seems to be the top dog of T1 cruisers in every category.

*activates thermal hardeners for incoming flame

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#2 - 2015-12-28 20:45:33 UTC
No is the simple answer.

Why is complex and could take pages to explain and would vary depending on the player and the intended purpose but here are just a few that come to mind.
For a player with low or no drones skills the Vex would be a disaster.
If you want highest DPS possible then there are better options as well.
Some want speed and the Vex is sadly lacking in that department as compared to some options.
Xzanos
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2015-12-28 21:12:21 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
No is the simple answer.

Why is complex and could take pages to explain and would vary depending on the player and the intended purpose but here are just a few that come to mind.
For a player with low or no drones skills the Vex would be a disaster.
If you want highest DPS possible then there are better options as well.
Some want speed and the Vex is sadly lacking in that department as compared to some options.


Thanks for the answer but lets just assume that pilots will have the proper skill set for the ship they are flying. Drones are fast for you so i don't really think the speed thing is much of a hindrance, and while it may not be able to do the most DPS it can project it at 100% within lock range (due to the fact that most are pure drone/neut fit.)

Again thanks for the response, what would be your first T1 cruiser of choice vs the vexor?

*activates thermal hardeners for incoming flame

Xzanos
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2015-12-28 22:54:56 UTC
Any other opinions of the Vexor's place on the scale?

*activates thermal hardeners for incoming flame

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#5 - 2015-12-28 23:44:35 UTC
Xzanos wrote:
Any other opinions of the Vexor's place on the scale?


Let's put it this way, in the right hands every ship in EVE is powerful. Any screw up on the side of the helmsman causes a loss.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

PlantythePottedPlant
Kiwis In Space
Shadow Cartel
#6 - 2015-12-28 23:46:05 UTC  |  Edited by: PlantythePottedPlant
Xzanos wrote:

Thanks for the answer but lets just assume that pilots will have the proper skill set for the ship they are flying. Drones are fast for you so i don't really think the speed thing is much of a hindrance, and while it may not be able to do the most DPS it can project it at 100% within lock range (due to the fact that most are pure drone/neut fit.)


That's not quite true. If you have Ogres and Hammerheads out, you're not going to do much DPS to an interceptor. You can't always mindlessly drop max DPS drones and expect it to work.

Also, keep in mind drones can't be overheated, which can make a difference in fights. They can also be smartbombed or otherwise killed, thus negating all of your DPS if you're neut fit.

The Vexor is a good cruiser, but by no means is it perfect.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#7 - 2015-12-28 23:58:02 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
No is the simple answer.

Why is complex and could take pages to explain and would vary depending on the player and the intended purpose but here are just a few that come to mind.
For a player with low or no drones skills the Vex would be a disaster.
If you want highest DPS possible then there are better options as well.
Some want speed and the Vex is sadly lacking in that department as compared to some options.

typically when people talk about "best" they assume the pilot is skilled appropriately for the ship.

highest dps is typically a meaningless fitting tool exercise. without ewar to hold down targets to apply that dps, or a tank to stay on field long enough it matters, or speed to catch up to targets just having high dps alone is worthless. although I think the vexor may win that one, it has dual weapon bonuses and can do high dps with drones + blasters.

Speed similar to DPS, need a balance of stats. and as you say there are many different intended purposes where you want to weight stats differently.

if we look at cruisers on zkill: https://zkillboard.com/group/26/ the vexor is the #2 t1 cruiser in terms of kills in the last week. That would suggest to me that currently the caracal is the "best" t1 cruiser. although in Eve I find "best" to be an odd distinction not always worth worrying too much about. Metas shift, stuff gets nerfed. For right now though the vexor certainly seems like a strong ship that is probably worth flying if that is what you want to fly.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Xzanos
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2015-12-29 02:40:26 UTC
PlantythePottedPlant wrote:
Xzanos wrote:

Thanks for the answer but lets just assume that pilots will have the proper skill set for the ship they are flying. Drones are fast for you so i don't really think the speed thing is much of a hindrance, and while it may not be able to do the most DPS it can project it at 100% within lock range (due to the fact that most are pure drone/neut fit.)


That's not quite true. If you have Ogres and Hammerheads out, you're not going to do much DPS to an interceptor. You can't always mindlessly drop max DPS drones and expect it to work.

Also, keep in mind drones can't be overheated, which can make a difference in fights. They can also be smartbombed or otherwise killed, thus negating all of your DPS if you're neut fit.

The Vexor is a good cruiser, but by no means is it perfect.


While i understand that different class ships can play to the weaknesses of others, when i refer to best of x i mean to say when that ship is put up against another ship of the same class ( cruiser vs cruiser ext. ) in a fleet setting or solo.

*activates thermal hardeners for incoming flame

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#9 - 2015-12-29 05:11:21 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
...if we look at cruisers on zkill: https://zkillboard.com/group/26/ ....


Chainsaw, may I ask you how you did that? I was looking for a "top 10" ranking thing like there was on eve-kill.net but I have no clue how to do that.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#10 - 2015-12-29 05:14:33 UTC
if you look up a ship next to the picture it says vexor, and under that it says cruiser. you can click on cruiser as it is a link that takes you to the group.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Leila Meurtrier
Why Am I Not Surprised
#11 - 2015-12-29 09:46:52 UTC
Congratulations, you are one step closer to discovering Gallente bias.

On serious note, Gallente are kings of attack, but not combat, dps that melt faces yet limited applicatiion or tank. The only real problem with Gallente is drone ships approach. CCP insist that Gallente is all about big numbers (In that case, bandwidth) yet limited drone bays, while many ships (Including goddamned Ishtar) go completely out of line of that thinking. And don't get me started on Omen vs Thorax with former posessing just 40m3 of locusts.

They win PvE stuff because PvE doesn't engage player not on his terms. Step into Solitude though — and suddenly everything becomes tougher.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#12 - 2015-12-29 10:44:30 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
if you look up a ship next to the picture it says vexor, and under that it says cruiser. you can click on cruiser as it is a link that takes you to the group.


Ouuuuh. Thank you!

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Solecist Project
#13 - 2015-12-29 11:16:06 UTC
Vexor.
Suicide ganking.
Unless nerfed, 1k dps with blasters and drones, plus proper tank to last until CONCORD.

I liked it a lot back then, don't think it's OP.
One can **** up easily in that ship.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#14 - 2015-12-29 18:09:52 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
typically when people talk about "best" they assume the pilot is skilled appropriately for the ship.

Why?
I have first day players ask me what is "the best ship" all the time so why am I to assume that the OP wanted information based on having a high level of skills.
Setting that aside I did qualify the statement that if they had low skills the Vexor would suck, I never said the OP had low skills.
I never bother trying to figure out what someone "might" be asking, I simply read and respond to questions as asked.

Xzanos wrote:
Again thanks for the response, what would be your first T1 cruiser of choice vs the vexor?

Again that is a question that could take pages and depends on player preferences and character skills.
As illustrated by the link above the Vexor seems to be near the top of the list in the kill boards so it is obviously a capable ship and yet there are still questions that remain that the information in the kill boards does not provide.

Relative levels of player skills would be tops on my list, a highly skill player in the Vex could easily overwhelm a lower skilled player in many other ships. Give my son a Vex and he would die quickly to virtually anything he came up against, put him in a blaster fit Thorax and things change quickly.

Is the Vex near the top because it truly belongs there? Or is this a simple illustration of the human characteristic of follow the leader, one person has success using ti so now everyone uses it.

Rovinia
Exotic Dancers Union
#15 - 2015-12-29 18:24:23 UTC
For me, one of the best T1 Cruisers. But not OP.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#16 - 2015-12-29 19:50:08 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
typically when people talk about "best" they assume the pilot is skilled appropriately for the ship.

Why?
I have first day players ask me what is "the best ship" all the time so why am I to assume that the OP wanted information based on having a high level of skills.
Setting that aside I did qualify the statement that if they had low skills the Vexor would suck, I never said the OP had low skills.
I never bother trying to figure out what someone "might" be asking, I simply read and respond to questions as asked.


because in eve anyone can skill into anything, and typically people asking are either looking for a goal, or have skills and are looking for recommendations on what to fly. It is easy to set constraints and make alternate recommendations, or make short term recommendations. and I'd treat a newb asking the question a bit differently than someone asking a five word question over three lines.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Xzanos
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2015-12-31 00:46:56 UTC
I think that the damage profiles on ship and weapon types is a very intersting piece of information to add to this post if anyone has not yet seen it.

http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/damage-profiles-by-ship-group-and-weapon-type-in-2015/

While i do believe the follow the leader mentality applies to this chart there is a reason someone first found the "top dog" and everyone started following along.

*activates thermal hardeners for incoming flame

Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2016-01-01 23:36:03 UTC
Blaster Brutix giving you BS level of DPS. OP? No, cause it's nice and cheap brawl beast for you.

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Arysan
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2016-01-01 23:48:49 UTC
Anyone have a decent L2 mission runner fit for Vexor?
Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#20 - 2016-01-02 00:51:12 UTC
Rovinia wrote:
For me, one of the best T1 Cruisers. But not OP.


RLML Caracal isn't far behind, if vexor got nerfed i think the caracal would have to get a touch as well. Not OP I think, but nobody could complain if they got nerfed a bit.