These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

REVOVLING SPACE

Author
Cpt Mangrum
P.O.Box
#1 - 2015-10-04 13:25:04 UTC
So, this idea adds to the realism of eve. In the real universe planets, moons, asteroids, and many other objects in space slowly rotate around suns, or blackholes. I propose that over a one year cycle time that the planets, moons, and stargates slowly rotate around the suns changing their positions. This can add a nice visualization and new mechanic. The new mechanic would be that not all Bookmarks would be created equal over time. This would require more or less strategy over time. Its just a thought.
Faxat
#2 - 2015-10-04 13:42:47 UTC
Good idea, but probably waay too much work. But other than giving Neil deGrasse Tyson some peace of mind this would seriosly mess up instand undocks and tactical jumpbridge placements.

I would say that unless they also add decreased warp speed close to planetsry objects, this change would be more annoying than "tactical".

+1 though

Also remember that only temperate planets that orbit the sun at 1 au are allowed close to an sctual year though, all other planets/objects would have to be mathed out correctly. If done right it might spawn an astronomers corp that fly around celebrsting eclipse events Big smile

Faxat out! o/

Lugh Crow-Slave
#3 - 2015-10-04 13:54:42 UTC
Faxat wrote:
Good idea, but probably waay too much work. But other than giving Neil deGrasse Tyson some peace of mind this would seriosly mess up instand undocks and tactical jumpbridge placements.

I would say that unless they also add decreased warp speed close to planetsry objects, this change would be more annoying than "tactical".

+1 though

Also remember that only temperate planets that orbit the sun at 1 au are allowed close to an sctual year though, all other planets/objects would have to be mathed out correctly. If done right it might spawn an astronomers corp that fly around celebrsting eclipse events Big smile



Weather the planet is temperate or not would have nothing to do with how fast they compleat one orbit around their star it would be based on the mass of the star the planet and any other massive body


Over all-1 this would be a lot of work to pull off and would displease as many as it would please if not more
Cpt Mangrum
P.O.Box
#4 - 2015-10-04 13:55:35 UTC
Very true on the 1 a/u. Jump bridges should still work just based on the system they were placed in. As to the insta docks yes it would, but once every so often it would work fine. You would just need to have more of them. I also forgot to mention that the distance between stargates would increase or decrease over time, adding to another factor for travel and fights. All in all it causes the eve player to think in a new manner its change and people are resistant to change.
Syeed Ameer Ali
Dirtbag Space Warriors Coming for yor Loots
#5 - 2015-10-04 14:13:00 UTC
Cpt Mangrum wrote:
So, this idea adds to the realism of eve. In the real universe planets, moons, asteroids, and many other objects in space slowly rotate around suns, or blackholes. I propose that over a one year cycle time that the planets, moons, and stargates slowly rotate around the suns changing their positions. This can add a nice visualization and new mechanic. The new mechanic would be that not all Bookmarks would be created equal over time. This would require more or less strategy over time. Its just a thought.


Undocks and other bookmarks could be considered relative to the nearest station/celestial object and therefore not change for any practical purpose. Still though, seems a lot of developer manhours for a feature that while cool would not actually improve anyone's gameplay experience.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#6 - 2015-10-04 14:13:47 UTC
Cpt Mangrum wrote:
Very true on the 1 a/u. Jump bridges should still work just based on the system they were placed in. As to the insta docks yes it would, but once every so often it would work fine. You would just need to have more of them. I also forgot to mention that the distance between stargates would increase or decrease over time, adding to another factor for travel and fights. All in all it causes the eve player to think in a new manner its change and people are resistant to change.



He is talking about the strategy behind placing a bridge. This idea would remove that for long term bridges.


Also no one wants to have even more bms to look through
Cpt Mangrum
P.O.Box
#7 - 2015-10-04 14:17:01 UTC
Please, make some suggestions so that this idea could work then.
Faxat
#8 - 2015-10-04 14:27:33 UTC
Actually with citadels and tethering, the instant undocks wouldn't really matter anymore. As for me talking about temparate planets; I was actually going to start a rsnt about how they would have to move temparate planets to the goldilocks zone around 1 au, and then take it's size into account vs the sun etc, but I'm actually not knowledgeable on the specifics so i lazily edited it out and ended up with my current reply. Anywho.. yes.. I still like this idea, but I'd rather they fix problems instead of adding new random things to an already bloated jumbled mess.. /rant What?

Faxat out! o/

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#9 - 2015-10-04 16:21:42 UTC
Cpt Mangrum wrote:
Please, make some suggestions so that this idea could work then.

How does one make suggestions on how to revive or improve an idea that was dead the moment it was posted?

Other than the ever popular "it would be cool", or the equally popular "I want this"
What advantage does it give to the players as a whole?

What game play problems exist that this idea would solve and how would it solve them? And yes I mean actual game play and not the it would be nice to have the star field change thing.

What tactical / strategic advantage could be gained by planets etc slowly moving over time?

Considering the work required by the servers / clients to track these ever changing positions one has to wonder what it would do to lag and other negative aspects we all hate?

If bookmarks are auto updated then all you are doing is changing the star filed simply because it would be cool and for that you get a -1.

If bookmarks did not auto update then you get a -1 because you cannot have a "gee this would be neat feature" that causes others untold hours of work to keep up with.

Instead of messing with book marks, the in game star map and wasting players time why not simply have CCP change the static star field back grounds on a routine basis. This would have zero impact on players who do not care about star fields in the back ground but give you a large portion of the ever changing appearance that you are trying to achieve.

Haatakan Reppola
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#10 - 2015-10-04 16:43:37 UTC
Just pretend the stars rotate, everything else in that system just happen to rotate at the same speed making it look stationary :P
Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#11 - 2015-10-04 18:36:03 UTC
Cpt Mangrum wrote:
So, this idea adds to the realism of eve. In the real universe planets, moons, asteroids, and many other objects in space slowly rotate around suns, or blackholes. I propose that over a one year cycle time that the planets, moons, and stargates slowly rotate around the suns changing their positions. This can add a nice visualization and new mechanic. The new mechanic would be that not all Bookmarks would be created equal over time. This would require more or less strategy over time. Its just a thought.


You do know that all space bodies are hurling through space and any bookmark you make is instantly irrelevant if we start taking speeds of celestial bodies into account.

Oh, you didnt know that !?

Well, now you do.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Iain Cariaba
#12 - 2015-10-04 20:32:22 UTC
I remember a text based Star Trek game I played 20 years ago that had planets/stations that moved. About once a month entire ship crews had to remake their characters because someone would launch from a planet or undock and forget to immediately move the ship, causing the planet/station to crash into it.

Great times. Twisted
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#13 - 2015-10-04 20:41:17 UTC
Syeed Ameer Ali wrote:
Cpt Mangrum wrote:
So, this idea adds to the realism of eve. In the real universe planets, moons, asteroids, and many other objects in space slowly rotate around suns, or blackholes. I propose that over a one year cycle time that the planets, moons, and stargates slowly rotate around the suns changing their positions. This can add a nice visualization and new mechanic. The new mechanic would be that not all Bookmarks would be created equal over time. This would require more or less strategy over time. Its just a thought.


Undocks and other bookmarks could be considered relative to the nearest station/celestial object and therefore not change for any practical purpose. Still though, seems a lot of developer manhours for a feature that while cool would not actually improve anyone's gameplay experience.

This would ruin bookmarks. Many bookmarks are created on a grid in line with a specific object. If that object moves, the bookmark becomes useless.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

Di Mulle
#14 - 2015-10-04 22:39:45 UTC
First, learn to use search please.

Second, try to educate yourself beyond "oh, it all should rotate". Right now, if to take your suggestion about "one year cycle for them all" almost nothing will change, except that you may notice some change in a look of a system map after a couple months, if you try really hard ( and probably, if you have taken a screenshot two months ago). Basically, everything will stay in place, just the general angle in a system view would change. But underneath mechanics will require a serious dev job and countless server ticks nevertheless. Where is the profit ?

If to make celestial mechanics realistic, instead of the illiterate initial proposal, not so many things will change either. Distances between inner planets and moons will change considerably, in a course of months. What bright change this should bring into gameplay, I have no idea. Positions of many outer planets will not change much not only during months, or even years, but during the whole lifetime of EVE. Woops.

Obviously, that would completely broke the bookmark mechanics. Some workarounds may be made, which basically will return everything back, so where is the profit again ?

In the end, you will have forced the servers to make thousands and thousand of calculations every tick, so in a few months you can compare two screenshots of a system map... and what of it ?
<<Insert some waste of screen space here>>
Nyalnara
Marauder Initiative
#15 - 2015-10-04 22:49:47 UTC
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie wrote:
Syeed Ameer Ali wrote:
Cpt Mangrum wrote:
So, this idea adds to the realism of eve. In the real universe planets, moons, asteroids, and many other objects in space slowly rotate around suns, or blackholes. I propose that over a one year cycle time that the planets, moons, and stargates slowly rotate around the suns changing their positions. This can add a nice visualization and new mechanic. The new mechanic would be that not all Bookmarks would be created equal over time. This would require more or less strategy over time. Its just a thought.


Undocks and other bookmarks could be considered relative to the nearest station/celestial object and therefore not change for any practical purpose. Still though, seems a lot of developer manhours for a feature that while cool would not actually improve anyone's gameplay experience.

This would ruin bookmarks. Many bookmarks are created on a grid in line with a specific object. If that object moves, the bookmark becomes useless.


Make bookmarks relatives to nearest object. problem solved for tacticals, safe docks, safe undocks. Would still pretty much break deep safes.

French half-noob.

Non, je ne suis pas gentil.

Leto Aramaus
Black Fox Marauders
Pen Is Out
#16 - 2015-10-04 22:50:01 UTC
I will expect perfect, real physics when we have Matrix-style plug-into-the-back-of-your-head virtual reality interface for EVE, in 60 years.

Until then, -1. This isn't needed and is one of the last things I'd put work into to improve immersion. A million other things could improve immersion first and do it better.
Lim Hiaret
Hiaret Family
#17 - 2015-10-05 12:28:07 UTC
...all this revolving, my stomach was revolting...
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#18 - 2015-10-05 13:18:11 UTC
Eve is a knifefighting submarine SIM ... Let's not talk about realism.
Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2015-10-05 15:21:55 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Eve is a knifefighting submarine SIM ... Let's not talk about realism.


"Kinfefights" at 80km distance...
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#20 - 2015-10-05 17:01:22 UTC
Cpt Mangrum wrote:
So, this idea adds to the realism of eve. In the real universe planets, moons, asteroids, and many other objects in space slowly rotate around suns, or blackholes. I propose that over a one year cycle time that the planets, moons, and stargates slowly rotate around the suns changing their positions. This can add a nice visualization and new mechanic. The new mechanic would be that not all Bookmarks would be created equal over time. This would require more or less strategy over time. Its just a thought.



1 earth year? 1 mercury year? 1 planetoid X year?

It seems like a lot of work and math just to screw up all the bookmarks in the game. I would say that logically, if my ship and its onboard computers can warp beyond the speed of light, navigate a wh and all the other stuff - they should be able to account for all that motion and make it invisible to me.

20 years ago you had to continually move your telescope to keep up with the moon. Now you point it at a star and tell it "star" and it auto compensates for everything. (you just have to keep the battery charged)
12Next page