These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

drone range tied too ship size

Author
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#1 - 2015-09-27 19:19:27 UTC
wouldn't it make more sense if drone control range was tied more too a ships sensor limitations?

why can a frigate control drones too the same range as battleships for instance? .. seems odd doesn't it?

current formula
20km + 25km+15km (base amount+drone avionics+adv drone av)

new base amounts could be
5km - small ships
10km - medium ships
15km - battleships
20km - capitals

maybe even nerf drone avionics skill too 4km a level removing 5km overall

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2015-09-27 19:24:59 UTC
Are you going to try and justify a blanket nerf to every subcapital droneboat, or...?
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#3 - 2015-09-27 19:39:12 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Are you going to try and justify a blanket nerf to every subcapital droneboat, or...?


well for instance a tristan being able too project its damage upto 60km's where as a merlin could depending on whether its rails or blasters could do 5km - 30 km's maybe but the merlin has too choose which weapon and live with the drawback, now ofc we could go too .. well drones are killable, but then turrets are also disruptable too point of being useless etc..

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Lady Rift
His Majesty's Privateers
#4 - 2015-09-27 19:51:15 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
Are you going to try and justify a blanket nerf to every subcapital droneboat, or...?


well for instance a tristan being able too project its damage upto 60km's where as a merlin could depending on whether its rails or blasters could do 5km - 30 km's maybe but the merlin has too choose which weapon and live with the drawback, now ofc we could go too .. well drones are killable, but then turrets are also disruptable too point of being useless etc..



and missiles?
Ellendras Silver
CrashCat Corporation
#5 - 2015-09-27 19:55:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Ellendras Silver
there is some logic in the OP but i am not comfortable with his nrs. what about changing the base that is 20Km at this point to

10Km for frigites and destroyers (they hardly use drones so not much of a problem)
15Km for cruisers and battlecruisers (small nerf but still no biggie)
20Km for battleships (neutral range as in unchanged)
25Km or maybe even 30Km for carriers as they are specialized in drones so makes sense to me (capitals need some love)

i could definitly live with that

[u]Carpe noctem[/u]

Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#6 - 2015-09-27 20:02:28 UTC
Lady Rift wrote:
Harvey James wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
Are you going to try and justify a blanket nerf to every subcapital droneboat, or...?


well for instance a tristan being able too project its damage upto 60km's where as a merlin could depending on whether its rails or blasters could do 5km - 30 km's maybe but the merlin has too choose which weapon and live with the drawback, now ofc we could go too .. well drones are killable, but then turrets are also disruptable too point of being useless etc..



and missiles?


well they are working on missile e-war

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Lady Rift
His Majesty's Privateers
#7 - 2015-09-27 20:10:41 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
Lady Rift wrote:
Harvey James wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
Are you going to try and justify a blanket nerf to every subcapital droneboat, or...?


well for instance a tristan being able too project its damage upto 60km's where as a merlin could depending on whether its rails or blasters could do 5km - 30 km's maybe but the merlin has too choose which weapon and live with the drawback, now ofc we could go too .. well drones are killable, but then turrets are also disruptable too point of being useless etc..



and missiles?


well they are working on missile e-war



and as this is ccp working on doesn't mean anything.
WarFireV
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2015-09-27 20:37:29 UTC
Because missiles are so OP?
Sean Crees
Sean's Safe Haven
#9 - 2015-09-27 21:11:06 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
wouldn't it make more sense if drone control range was tied more too a ships sensor limitations?

why can a frigate control drones too the same range as battleships for instance? .. seems odd doesn't it?

current formula
20km + 25km+15km (base amount+drone avionics+adv drone av)

new base amounts could be
5km - small ships
10km - medium ships
15km - battleships
20km - capitals

maybe even nerf drone avionics skill too 4km a level removing 5km overall


It is a little odd how drone range doesn't vary on ship size, or drone size. Every other weapon platform in Eve will generally have shorter ranges for small weapons and longer ranges for large weapons.

I would say for base distances:
10km - frigates/destroyers
20km - cruisers/battlecruisers
40km - battleships

That would put the range of drones for those ships more in line with long range turrets and missiles for those sizes.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#10 - 2015-09-27 22:22:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
-1 drones control range is a factor in balancing drones. If you reduce control range what do you do to the other systems to balance them again? Do they get reduced ranges as well, or maybe reduced damage?

-1 because you have not identified a problem created by current control ranges.

-1 because even if there is a problem created by control range you have not defined how this specific change addresses that problem.

-1 because all you have given us to this point is "I want this because I think it is cool", or the ever popular "the way this works makes no sense to me"

Drones are controlled by some form of electronic system that can easily be mounted in any size ship so from an alternate point of view there is no logic and it would make no sense to have these variable control ranges you are asking for.

Ellendras Silver wrote:
10Km for frigites and destroyers (they hardly use drones so not much of a problem)

The Tristan, Algos, Ishkur and Federation Navy Comet to name just a few would like to dispute your claim.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2015-09-27 22:57:10 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
-1 drones control range is a factor in balancing drones. If you reduce control range what do you do to the other systems to balance them again? Do they get reduced ranges as well, or maybe reduced damage?

-1 because you have not identified a problem created by current control ranges.

-1 because even if there is a problem created by control range you have not defined how this specific change addresses that problem.

-1 because all you have given us to this point is "I want this because I think it is cool", or the ever popular "the way this works makes no sense to me"

Drones are controlled by some form of electronic system that can easily be mounted in any size ship so from an alternate point of view there is no logic and it would make no sense to have these variable control ranges you are asking for.

Ellendras Silver wrote:
10Km for frigites and destroyers (they hardly use drones so not much of a problem)

The Tristan, Algos, Ishkur and Federation Navy Comet to name just a few would like to dispute your claim.


Astero is pretty brutal with drones too :)

I will -1 too since any of those ships sending their little drones out to 60 km will very quickly lose any real teeth they have. Dronr control range isn't a problem on these ships.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#12 - 2015-09-27 23:38:32 UTC
Think of it this way with an anology from the other world. nowadays you can buy a camera drone and let it fly around the streets or forests or whatever and you can control said drone to some distances.

Now approximately 30.000 years in the futur the wifi got more range and thats why we can control drones as far as 60km.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2015-09-28 00:38:43 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
wouldn't it make more sense if drone control range was tied more too a ships sensor limitations?

why can a frigate control drones too the same range as battleships for instance? .. seems odd doesn't it?

current formula
20km + 25km+15km (base amount+drone avionics+adv drone av)

new base amounts could be
5km - small ships
10km - medium ships
15km - battleships
20km - capitals

maybe even nerf drone avionics skill too 4km a level removing 5km overall


There are lot of things that would "make sense" if they got changed but that does not mean it has to happen. Battleship designers for example couldn't be arsed to install a targeting system that fits inside the hull of a frigate for some reason.
Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#14 - 2015-09-28 00:48:38 UTC
while im not sure this is the method to accomplish the goal, im for the concept in general.

+1

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Syn Shi
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#15 - 2015-09-28 00:51:42 UTC
If someone sends their drones out 60km shoot the drones.

Sadly you don't realize that by drawing the drones out to that range you are already ahead of the game.

Now I have to question if the drone pilot has to send their drones 60km, what weapons are you using at 60km?

And why can your weapons work at 60km and not theirs?

Sounds like you came up with a fit that doesn't work so well against drones.

That is the sandbox working as intended.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2015-09-28 06:08:37 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
current formula
20km + 25km+15km (base amount+drone avionics+adv drone av)

new base amounts could be
5km - small ships
10km - medium ships
15km - battleships
20km - capitals

So max amounts would be:

45km - small ships
50km - medium ships
55km - battleships
60km - capitals

A small difference, bigger when you haven't trained as far. I like it. It maintains drones as a unique range-capable system but still gives bigger ships a bit of an advantage in that area.

Could also make a Large Drone Link Augmentor that costs, say, 200 MW powergrid and gives a larger range bonus, maybe 30km (t1) or 36km (t2).

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#17 - 2015-09-28 07:27:21 UTC
I could standby a change in base drone control range on ships, if drone boats gained a role bonus for range.

It wouldn't be that hard I think for CCP to provide drone control role bonuses to drone ships.
The Ishtar has a drone control bonus.
Many weapon systems have a optimal/falloff range bonus.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

S1ckJ
Rational Chaos Inc.
Brave Collective
#18 - 2015-09-28 07:48:59 UTC
What about drone range tied to drone size? Small drones having the shortest range and fighters having longest range?

Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#19 - 2015-09-28 08:10:30 UTC
This is a very stupid suggestion in the line of bigger needs to be better.

*Too* stupid.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#20 - 2015-09-28 11:02:54 UTC
Yet another terrible "nerf everything" idea from the OP. As mentioned by others, if the silly little frigate has his drones out there at 60km, you can web them and kill them. Or just warp out. It's not like he will be doing any other meaningful action to you from 60km.

Not supported.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

12Next page