These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Marauders 2015

Author
Jarsoom Blade
Blade's Legion
#1 - 2015-08-02 01:59:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarsoom Blade
Hi all,

I was wondering how the Marauders are compared to each other as of 2015. I've read alot of posts dating back to 2013 and 2014 and I'm guessing most of it from back then isn't up to date anymore with changes added to the game constantly over the years.

Not that I'm asking "which Marauder is the best Marauder?", but I'm certainly curious as to the positive and negative points of each of the four ships. Especially regarding mission running (obviously) and general PvE (ratting, incursions).

Also, I'm aware that some pirate faction Battleships are preferable over a Marauder. Why is that, and which pirate faction ship over which Marauder exactly?

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

"Two things I've learned lately. One: don't get jammed. And two: stationary ships don't react well to 1400's" - John Rourke, Clear Skies 2

Alexey Rumyancev
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2015-08-02 05:09:03 UTC
I honestly do not know which of marauders is the best, they look pretty balanced.
Marauders are too big for 4 lvl missions (If you don't blitz them, but that's unlikely the case), too slow for incursions because of bastion, but they are good for 10/10.
It looks like marauders are super-tanky and very good ships overall, but they don't have much purpose.
Ahed Sten
#3 - 2015-08-02 05:15:59 UTC
Alexey Rumyancev wrote:
It looks like marauders are super-tanky and very good ships overall, but they don't have much purpose.


Says the guy that must not do anything with Marauders.

I can do The Score, Blockade or Worlds Collide in 15 mins.

I regularly make 25 - 30 mil isk ticks in Null farming Sansha rats in Forsaken Hubs.

Paladins are great if you know how to fly them properly. (Hint: I don't use Bastion.)

The reason the OP's questions can't really be answered is because there is no real answer - The variables rely too heavily on pilot skill, which type of PVE you're doing and how you're fit. It's exactly the same argument that's been going on since Marauders were buffed two years ago.
Valkin Mordirc
#4 - 2015-08-02 05:16:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Valkin Mordirc
I've really only messed around with a Golem and Vargur,


Both of them get insanely strong active tanks. Well they all do but with those two being shield based platforms with capless weapons. They can really withstand a lot of pressure.

Though that's not to say the Paladin and Kronos are bad.
#DeleteTheWeak
stoicfaux
#5 - 2015-08-02 05:56:30 UTC
Jarsoom Blade wrote:
Hi all,

Not that I'm asking "which Marauder is the best Marauder?", but I'm certainly curious as to the positive and negative points of each of the four ships. Especially regarding mission running (obviously) and general PvE (ratting, incursions).

For missions, Vargur is probably the best general purpose marauder. Variable damage type, good range, etc.

Paladin is best against EM weak. Tachyon or Pulse w/Scorch work well. Bring a mobile depot and switch as needed.

Kronos is also good since so many things are weak to kin or therm.

Golem is meh because missiles are meh (and because people tend to use Rigor rigs in place of warp speed rigs.) You need to dedicate a lot of mids/rigs to damage application. Cruise/torps have a 7-8 second cycle time which results in DPS loss to overkill (by comparison a Vargur's ACs have a ~3s cycle.) Torps are just too range limited and slow moving (DPS loss if you don't volley count.) Using Fury cruise missiles is the way to go. Basically, gunships clear things faster than the Golem despite the on-paper advantages.

Having said that, any of the marauders will serve you well, assuming you don't do something silly such as run a Paladin against Angels. The differences between them generally come down to personal preference and how much of a min/max-er you are.


Quote:
Also, I'm aware that some pirate faction Battleships are preferable over a Marauder. Why is that, and which pirate faction ship over which Marauder exactly?


Pirate ships tend to bring some unique qualities to the plate over standard battleships and marauders. Rattlesnake is good in terms of raw DPS (~1400 DPS,) however no warp speed rigs. Mach has always been a good all around level 4 ship, especially now with its warp speed bonus. The Nightmare has been "replaced" by the Paladin. The other pirate ships aren't normally used for level 4s, as far as I'm aware.



Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

FT Cold
No Vacancies
No Vacancies.
#6 - 2015-08-02 08:29:51 UTC
Jarsoom Blade wrote:
Hi all,

I was wondering how the Marauders are compared to each other as of 2015. I've read alot of posts dating back to 2013 and 2014 and I'm guessing most of it from back then isn't up to date anymore with changes added to the game constantly over the years.

Not that I'm asking "which Marauder is the best Marauder?", but I'm certainly curious as to the positive and negative points of each of the four ships. Especially regarding mission running (obviously) and general PvE (ratting, incursions).

Also, I'm aware that some pirate faction Battleships are preferable over a Marauder. Why is that, and which pirate faction ship over which Marauder exactly?

Thanks for taking the time to comment!


All of the marauders are generally well balanced among themselves as other posters have noted, though they all pale before the rattlesnake. For level 4s and anoms, your tank is generally a secondary concern, taking a back seat to, dps, range, and application. The snake can do all these things at once, particularly for anoms, where your speed isn't an issue. When running level 4s, you might consider warp speed or polycarbon rigs to help reduce transit time. Marauders can do the same thing, the rattlesnake just does it better, faster, and for less isk.

If you plan to blitz, consider the machariel. It's fast, aligns quicky, and has a bonus to warp speed. When fit correctly, you can augment these already powerful attributes to quickly and efficiently snipe objectives from blitzable missions.
d0cTeR9
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2015-08-02 20:40:37 UTC
Golem is the best, by far.

Best tank, best low-usage of cap (most of the dead golems are ****-fitted by idiots that have no idea how to shield tank, just because it's purple doesn't make it good for the fit). You can change your damage type, hit up to 250km, and the list goes on.

For PVP it's absurd, most gangs ignore them since they can't kill them. Very OP ship that can burst tank better than a carrier.

Been around since the beginning.

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#8 - 2015-08-02 20:50:59 UTC
In general the pirate bs do more damage than the marauders. however with bastion mode you have a huge ability to tank with only a few slots, so you can load up on a ton of damage and application mods/rigs. also easy to tank with an undersized booster/rep meaning you can lazy mode it.

I take the mach over the vargur. more damage and more maneuverability. the vargur was hitting stacking penalty problems before bastion came out, having bastion almost doesn't even help the vargur. Plus the mach warps so much faster.

nightmare/paladin, I take the paladin pretty much every time. having the optimal bonus is better than the tracking at least for most pve. Plus the paladin has a ton of cap, combined with the undersized repper and I usually just have a CCC for one of my rigs, or a cap recharger it is pretty stable. and bastion to get rid of TDs is nice to have.

vindy/kronos: I've been using a kronos, maybe I should try the vindy more, I didn't realize just how much more dps it could do. I typically use my kronos in void range. in eft it looks like a ~300 dps difference. plus since ism using void I'm not sure the tank matters too much as everything dies before that will be an issue. that and I've had weapon timer issues when going to dock up thanks to bastion.

missile boats/golem: I mostly just avoid them all together, I can't stand using missiles. mostly for the reasons said earlier.

rattlesnake: gets its own category, it's a special ship. 6 lows for plenty of damage mods, and a resist bonus for a huge tank. Thing pumps out a ton of damage. personally I find it kinda annoying to fly. the hull is pretty slow, and agility is poor. that said for missions where you can just sit still and beat on things it works rather well. Also without a missile velocity bonus the missiles are very slow and take a while to get to targets, plus the drones to a lot of damage so overkill potential is pretty high and that means wasted dps. also sentry drones don't move so if you need to burn to a different spot you have to use heavy drones and those go pretty slow and take a lot of time to make it to targets, so wasted dps.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Daerrol
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2015-08-02 21:31:51 UTC
I have used every laserboat. Nothing compares to my paladin but I think a lot that might be me roleplaying an Amarrian knight with my poor dog being the blood raider upon whom pennies are hurled and plenty of "Piskewpewpewpews" are directed.

But seriously the Paladin is really, really good. As a "grind sansha and blood raider rats for isk" it's probably the best. Salvage is not what it used to be, but multitasking the tractors and the savalger + drones is a nice addition to build your APM from a 5 to a 30. Actaully makes missions fun trying to savalgage everything, burn to the gate, bastion and kill rats all at the same time.I have moved more into speed running L4's and no BS is terribly great at that xD
Ahed Sten
#10 - 2015-08-04 01:01:40 UTC
Golem may be the best Marauder for PVP (Don't know, never tried it, don't crucify me) but it's certainly not the best for PVE. At the very least, it's on par with the Paladin for sansha and blood farming, but I would confidently say that the Paladin is still better for anything in Amarr space by a significant margin.

- The Golem cannot one-shot everything smaller than a cruiser with 2 guns. (2 gun grouping means that with beams, 2 frigs die every gun cycle. Beam cycles are like 6.5 sec. Those EM/Therm friendly, frigate-heavy missions and anoms are no problem in a Paladin if you stay at 60-80km where you can still apply about 1000 dps on low transversal ships.)

- Golem cannot instantly switch ammo types.

- Launchers need to reload.

- Volley counting sucks.
Jarsoom Blade
Blade's Legion
#11 - 2015-08-04 02:06:53 UTC
Thank you all for commenting. Getting some up-to-date information about these ships is very appreciated!

For L4's I am looking into training for a Marauder.
The L4's I'm doing are in Caldari space and I am currently using a CNR. Checking the volleys is something I am used to by now but using missiles all this character's life is getting pretty boring and is causing me having unvaried, dedicated skills. So I'm thinking I want to invest in training into one of the turret Marauders first.

Even though my missile skills are currently better than any turret skills, just blindly going for the Golem because I have the skills seems stupid (and boring), without having done some research and getting some feedback.

Which turret Marauder would perform best in Caldari space L4's, resistance/tank wise and damage selectability wise?

And also, in which area of L4 Empire space would the pirate faction Battleships the Machariel and Rattlesnake perform best (same as above, restistance and damage wise)?

Thanks!

"Two things I've learned lately. One: don't get jammed. And two: stationary ships don't react well to 1400's" - John Rourke, Clear Skies 2

FT Cold
No Vacancies
No Vacancies.
#12 - 2015-08-04 05:31:36 UTC  |  Edited by: FT Cold
Jarsoom Blade wrote:
Thank you all for commenting. Getting some up-to-date information about these ships is very appreciated!

For L4's I am looking into training for a Marauder.
The L4's I'm doing are in Caldari space and I am currently using a CNR. Checking the volleys is something I am used to by now but using missiles all this character's life is getting pretty boring and is causing me having unvaried, dedicated skills. So I'm thinking I want to invest in training into one of the turret Marauders first.

Even though my missile skills are currently better than any turret skills, just blindly going for the Golem because I have the skills seems stupid (and boring), without having done some research and getting some feedback.

Which turret Marauder would perform best in Caldari space L4's, resistance/tank wise and damage selectability wise?

And also, in which area of L4 Empire space would the pirate faction Battleships the Machariel and Rattlesnake perform best (same as above, restistance and damage wise)?

Thanks!


You'd probably have the best bet farming SoE missions as they've got a lp/isk ratio because of the demand for SoE ships. If you're set on caldari l4s, you'll end up fighting against guristas quite often, which have kinetic vulnerability, so the golem, vargur, and kronos are all equally valid choices.

As for the mach, projectiles have good em, therm, and explosive ammo choices, and while kinetic is a little weaker, it's still not useless. The snake has almost perfect damage selection, as you can chose the ship's damage bonus to drones applies to all racial varieties. The kin/therm bonuses to the launchers isn't generally a big concern, as many rats have vulnerabilities towards thermal damage as a secondary type. Also, for any ship type, the resist profile, whether it's t1 or t2, isn't a huge concern. A few t2 hardeners will reduce any damage type to manageable levels, no matter what hull you decide to use.

Eve-survival is going to be a valuable resource for you, I suggest you use it to ascertain what kind of tank you'll need and get an idea of what the mission triggers are. Once you learn them, most l4s are manageable with even a very light tank.
Khan Wrenth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2015-08-04 06:30:08 UTC
I'll share some of the experience I have with marauders. I use two, the Paladin and Kronos. I started off with the Paladin because of my fondness for energy weapons while using the Zealot. After a while I got the Kronos because as was said before, a lot of rats are vulnerable to that kin/therm damage. Here's what I've taken away so far.


--Paladin

*Easily my favorite of the two. By far. The Amarr have a fantastic T2 advantage most people don't seem to bring up often, but their T2 resist profile seals up the hole in armor resist normally present in T1 ships. That means they have phenomenal tanking ability.

*The cap is awesome. Paladin actually has better cap than the Kronos when firing their top-tier weapons.

*Both beams and pulse on the large level are in a fantastic place. I have fits for both and switch out as needed for the mission. They do great damage, and have a great mix of range and tracking for either weapon

*The EM/therm damage lock isn't as bad as it seems. For a long time I only had the Paladin and had no trouble whatsoever in doing all missions not antagonizing an empire. The Angels missions take longer, sure, but because they favor close range, you just have to MJD out and melt everything from range as they try to slowboat at you.

*I have access to, but haven't yet used the T2 ammo. But the standard ammo works great, and I use Navy Multi often. Those crystals last a long, long time before they shatter.


--Kronos

*Fantaistic against a wider variety of rats. Because of the kin damage from hybrids, I use my Kronos against Angels, and it works out better than the Paladin.

*Blasters track a lot better than pulse, so up-close targets get wrecked. But you'll be working with less range than Pulse provides. Tech II ammo for blasters provides more on-paper DPS than pulse, but at the expense of having even less range.


These two Marauders overall...

The native MJD role bonus lends a lot to the versatility of the class. You can MJD with a range-focused fit and pick off the frigates from afar while their transversal is low. Or load up long range ammo in your short guns and still pick 'em off, just with a shorter window of opportunity. If you're good at some mental geometry you can do a two-part MJD jump and get wherever you need to on the grid (though under 20k it is more time efficient to afterburn or MWD there), so long-distance gates are no issue.

I find it best to try to avoid using Bastion whenever possible. Mobility is what gets missions done quickly, whether it's burning to a gate or burning a certain direction to get good transversal verses a target. If you do bastion, whether for tank or range bonuses, have a mobile depot with you to deploy. Your bastion cycle is 1 minute anyway, so by the time your cycle is complete you'll have the depot to refit certain things (I often switch out some mids if I have to do an extended bastion at range. Or online/offline modules I don't need normally like small remote armor/hull reps to repair drones).

All this having been said, I get the impression that the best overall marauder is probably the Vargur. But I say this having no experience with the Vargur itself or projectile weapons. I say this from what I read on the forums and my own experience with shield boost fits and turret weapons. The boost to active reps from bastion is insane, and yes, there are some missions where putting a x-large shield booster + amplifier in my mids actually helps me tank more than my armor repper in a Paladin (but that's because the game is designed so active tanking works better with shield, and buffer is better with armor). I can only imagine how insane active shield tanking is like in a shield focused ship like the Vargur.

Damage type selection is always nice, but I think there may be too much emphasis on it. Like I said earlier, I used a Pali no problem for months. And keep in mind that with projectiles, you'll almost always be shooting into falloff, so your paper DPS isn't going to reflect what happens in the mission pocket. Your DPS will likely still be great if you are piloting well and managing range and transversal, but that's a good bit of effort that you may not be used to with having a background in missiles.

Because the Vargur is Minnmitar and is opposite Amarr, you'll find the native T2 resist profile partially covers up the EM hole in the shields, giving you phenomenal tanking ability on top of the active rep bonuse and bastion. And capless weapons are always nice.

I recommend going autocannons, as artillery has long refire times, and overkilling a target doesn't do anyone any good.

On the other hand, you only have so many mids. Tank, propulsion, and application mods are going to be competing for very limited space. Those compromises are part of what makes EVE great, just think long and hard about what sort of equipment you want to take with you into the mission. And keep in mind you can carry that mobile depot with you and switch between rooms if you are familiar enough with the territory.
Mike Whiite
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2015-08-04 07:03:17 UTC
Ahed Sten wrote:
Golem may be the best Marauder for PVP (Don't know, never tried it, don't crucify me) but it's certainly not the best for PVE. At the very least, it's on par with the Paladin for sansha and blood farming, but I would confidently say that the Paladin is still better for anything in Amarr space by a significant margin.

- The Golem cannot one-shot everything smaller than a cruiser with 2 guns. (2 gun grouping means that with beams, 2 frigs die every gun cycle. Beam cycles are like 6.5 sec. Those EM/Therm friendly, frigate-heavy missions and anoms are no problem in a Paladin if you stay at 60-80km where you can still apply about 1000 dps on low transversal ships.)

- Golem cannot instantly switch ammo types.

- Launchers need to reload.

- Volley counting sucks.



Not saying the Golem is the best ship.

but

- I can't remember when I needed to change ammo types on a Golem (choose ammo for specific rats and you're done)

- aside from lasers everything needs to reload.

- volley counting on a Golem is only a thing when you're 120km + away from your target.

- only elite angel frigates form somewhat of a problem, though that's why you have drones
Ahed Sten
#15 - 2015-08-04 18:31:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Ahed Sten
Mike Whiite wrote:
Ahed Sten wrote:
Golem may be the best Marauder for PVP (Don't know, never tried it, don't crucify me) but it's certainly not the best for PVE. At the very least, it's on par with the Paladin for sansha and blood farming, but I would confidently say that the Paladin is still better for anything in Amarr space by a significant margin.

- The Golem cannot one-shot everything smaller than a cruiser with 2 guns. (2 gun grouping means that with beams, 2 frigs die every gun cycle. Beam cycles are like 6.5 sec. Those EM/Therm friendly, frigate-heavy missions and anoms are no problem in a Paladin if you stay at 60-80km where you can still apply about 1000 dps on low transversal ships.)

- Golem cannot instantly switch ammo types.

- Launchers need to reload.

- Volley counting sucks.



Not saying the Golem is the best ship.

but

- I can't remember when I needed to change ammo types on a Golem (choose ammo for specific rats and you're done)

- aside from lasers everything needs to reload.

- volley counting on a Golem is only a thing when you're 120km + away from your target.

- only elite angel frigates form somewhat of a problem, though that's why you have drones


I do agree. There's nothing "wrong" with the Golem, but neither is it the "best" as some earlier poster stated.

It's like fitting a Rattlesnake in EFT vs actually flying one. Sure, you may have like 1500 paper dps but you've got missiles that are slow as ****. Drones that are either slow as **** or stationary and don't hit very well at certain ranges. You still have to reload your launchers, and you're agility is terrible. There are a lot of factors that you have to consider about the application of your dps and your ability to complete missions that a lot of people forget. The same concepts apply to the Golem as well.

Compared to the Pally, you may have lower base dps but you warp in anywhere from 50-90km and you can instapop the first 10-15 frigs/dessies/cruisers in 30 seconds flat with one volley each. Then start working on the BS, which, if they're EM/Therm weak, usually melt in 4 volleys if not 3. Drones are not even a consideration because nothing gets within 40km of you.

I'm not saying that the Pally is the best either. For missions like the Damsel where rats spawn at 0, I'd imagine that the Kronos would be an absolute beast. Same thing for Anoms where all the rats spawn at 0. Only downside there would be that you'd probably be using Bastion to tank the dps at that range, and at least where I live, ratting with Bastion is a Marauder loss waiting to happen. (You shouldn't be using a Marauder with anything but blues in local anyway, but you don't want to be in Bastion on the rare occasion that a hotdropping neut does pop into local and dscans you at a site.)

I think that the Vargur is probably the best of the 4. I've never flown anything but the Paladin, but with long range guns and a similar approach, I can see the Vargur functioning a lot like the Pally with the added benefit of being able to select damage type.
Buoytender Bob
Ronin Exploration Mission and Mining
#16 - 2015-08-04 19:11:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Buoytender Bob
One consideration I don't recall seeing mentioned is the tractor bonus for the Marauder class. Where I mission, a MTU with its easily scannable profile attracts ninjas and other vermin quite often. I can keep moving in my marauder, scooping the loot as needed and still not reduce my clear time a second. Of course, missions like Mordus Headhunters or The Blockade calls for the use of a Noctis; I even use a MTU if local is clear, but any of the pirate BS I own don't get the bonus to range for the tractor. Based with loot drops atm, however, I rarely spend any extra time looting; its more grab what I can while my guns are shooting and as I'm moving to the next gate.

To buck the popular trend, I began to Rage Start instead of Rage Quit.

...and every time I get another piece of Carbon, I know exactly what CCP is getting this Christmas.

Chiang LapShek
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2015-08-04 19:39:43 UTC
Ahed Sten wrote:
Mike Whiite wrote:
Ahed Sten wrote:
Golem may be the best Marauder for PVP (Don't know, never tried it, don't crucify me) but it's certainly not the best for PVE. At the very least, it's on par with the Paladin for sansha and blood farming, but I would confidently say that the Paladin is still better for anything in Amarr space by a significant margin.

- The Golem cannot one-shot everything smaller than a cruiser with 2 guns. (2 gun grouping means that with beams, 2 frigs die every gun cycle. Beam cycles are like 6.5 sec. Those EM/Therm friendly, frigate-heavy missions and anoms are no problem in a Paladin if you stay at 60-80km where you can still apply about 1000 dps on low transversal ships.)

- Golem cannot instantly switch ammo types.

- Launchers need to reload.

- Volley counting sucks.



Not saying the Golem is the best ship.

but

- I can't remember when I needed to change ammo types on a Golem (choose ammo for specific rats and you're done)

- aside from lasers everything needs to reload.

- volley counting on a Golem is only a thing when you're 120km + away from your target.

- only elite angel frigates form somewhat of a problem, though that's why you have drones


I do agree. There's nothing "wrong" with the Golem, but neither is it the "best" as some earlier poster stated.

It's like fitting a Rattlesnake in EFT vs actually flying one. Sure, you may have like 1500 paper dps but you've got missiles that are slow as ****. Drones that are either slow as **** or stationary and don't hit very well at certain ranges. You still have to reload your launchers, and you're agility is terrible. There are a lot of factors that you have to consider about the application of your dps and your ability to complete missions that a lot of people forget. The same concepts apply to the Golem as well.

Compared to the Pally, you may have lower base dps but you warp in anywhere from 50-90km and you can instapop the first 10-15 frigs/dessies/cruisers in 30 seconds flat with one volley each. Then start working on the BS, which, if they're EM/Therm weak, usually melt in 4 volleys if not 3. Drones are not even a consideration because nothing gets within 40km of you.

I'm not saying that the Pally is the best either. For missions like the Damsel where rats spawn at 0, I'd imagine that the Kronos would be an absolute beast. Same thing for Anoms where all the rats spawn at 0. Only downside there would be that you'd probably be using Bastion to tank the dps at that range, and at least where I live, ratting with Bastion is a Marauder loss waiting to happen. (You shouldn't be using a Marauder with anything but blues in local anyway, but you don't want to be in Bastion on the rare occasion that a hotdropping neut does pop into local and dscans you at a site.)

I think that the Vargur is probably the best of the 4. I've never flown anything but the Paladin, but with long range guns and a similar approach, I can see the Vargur functioning a lot like the Pally with the added benefit of being able to select damage type.


Agree with the paper vs. Applied dps alot

I did alot of c4 wormhole site soloing and some level 4 missions and holy crap do the drones take forever to get where they are going. You get that high dps number after about 10 seconds of drone travel time and missle speed
Minister of Death
Colossus Enterprises
#18 - 2015-08-05 19:35:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Minister of Death
250km Golem is not the fastest, but it is ez mode.

It is interesting that two its bonuses + bastion are obviated from 250km, but who cares really. The fast cd for the MJD makes moving around easy. Zero tank need for 90+% of L4's, all mids and rigs can be dmg application (-2 for target range sebos)
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#19 - 2015-08-06 14:35:15 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Basically, gunships clear things faster than the Golem despite the on-paper advantages.

Simply not true especially now with the new missile damage mods.
There have always been missions I can clear significantly faster in my Golem than corp mates can in their Vargur, Paladin or Kronos depite the paper advantage of faster cycle time and no damage delay due to missile travel time.. With all of use being all level 5 skills those are not a factor either. And yes there are mission they clear substantially faster than I can, but this only serves to illustrate my point in these debates. There is no "best" ship because it all comes down to personal preferences and which NPC you fight most often.

I like and fly all of the marauders because each offers unique capabilities and strengths against specific NPC.
If I had to choose just one and based on my expectations / preferences I would take the Golem because of it's consistency.
While each of the others will kill some npc faster than the Golem they are slower to kill other NPC. The Golem just runs along in the middle killing everything at the same rate no matter what NPC you are shooting at.

One caution for anyone considering a Marauder with bastion.
If you DC with bastion active the ship will not safe warp.
So if you are going this route place a heavy emphasis in your fit choices with this in mind.
On the other hand if you have a very stable internet connection and rarely if ever DC then ignore this.
Khan Wrenth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2015-08-08 12:44:11 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
One caution for anyone considering a Marauder with bastion.
If you DC with bastion active the ship will not safe warp.
So if you are going this route place a heavy emphasis in your fit choices with this in mind.
On the other hand if you have a very stable internet connection and rarely if ever DC then ignore this.


There seems to be some dispute in that. Someone said they tested on SiSi and found that their marauder safe warped when they purposefully d/c during an engagement with NPC's. No I haven't run this test myself.

But, I do have a suggestion for those who worry about this. I'm assuming all fits will probably have bastion, because why else would you fly a marauder? Pirate battleships offer comparable stats and abilities aside from bastion, without the skill specialization. Anyway, when you bastion...

*Set your bastion cycle to NOT auto-repeat.
*Make sure your repper of choice DOES auto-repeat
*When entering bastion mode, activate your prop mod and/or your repper depending on fit and situation

I'm told active modules keep cycling after a d/c. So, if it happens to you, your ship should have a fighting chance to either move away from the rats to stay alive, or out-rep incoming damage until you reconnect.
12Next page