These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Apparently it is OK to reuse skins of unique ships

First post
Author
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#161 - 2015-06-11 21:29:22 UTC
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:
Paint jobs constituting a draw is the entire basis of the skins feature. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, he has a right to complain. You can't have it both ways. Well you can if you're one of those "he's rich, stick it to him" types, I guess...

Seems like some flawed logic here. The skin system was designed to create a draw to those same paint jobs, not particular hulls. The feature was not designed for the sake of unique hulls as there is no need or benefit from it under those circumstances.

The clain of trying to "have it both ways" doesn't apply since the single rare item is becoming no less rare and only marginally less distinct and even then only for those that give up the ability to trade the skin. There is room to complain but, until skins change the ships they are on to other ships, It's not much.

If this were the case where the ship was defined purely by the skin that would be a different situation as the whole of the distinction were being given away.
Alpheias
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#162 - 2015-06-11 23:00:55 UTC
I am late to the party, and because I am so flabbergasted, I need to confirm with you first that Entity is actually crying over pixels in a internet spaceship game?

Fret not however as I have a genuine article with me as a consolation gift.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Rain6637
Simulacra and Simulation
Dracarys.
#163 - 2015-06-14 16:04:59 UTC
Entity wrote:
Really?

So you hand out unique ships as event reward and then just go "lol we'll reuse this skin because only a handful of people have it anyway. We don't care about upsetting customers that obtained those ships, we just care about getting a few more bucks from skins"

Thanks, CCP. Thanks a lot.

I guess I can look forward to seeing the skins of all the unique ships I have in the NEX store.

Seriously though, the visual identity of these ships is part of what makes them unique. I think it's a bad call to reuse those skins. It's not good for the game in the long run.

Dude their logic for these things is ass backwards. The assortment of digital prizes for the Fanfest cosplay thing was all over the board. A mix of nice and not-great things to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place... by my math, 2nd place got boned. I can't decide if it's a matter of not playing the game enough to know where items come from, a lack of regard for where they do, or a complete lack of taste.

In general, though, I disagree with limited availability outside of AT. Limit the availability window, but not the quantity. Quafe skins for whoever purchases a Twitch HD stream, yes. Something so mainstream as the SOE gunner jacket for just one person at Fanfest for cosplaying, no.

It's "exclusive" by definition... people will be excluded. But in EVE it causes resentment and anxiety for not much profit benefit. Players should not have reason to direct their ire at the company, but EVE is special.
kyoukoku
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#164 - 2015-06-14 16:42:21 UTC
Fatoria Hemah wrote:
Putting in Skins for ships to look-alike unique onse is such a horrible thing. It's like we go to the olympic games and got told 'Well we decided the 2nd and 3rd best athlets can get a Gold painting on their medals it they want. Don't worry, it's still silver and bronze on the inside' - all would go wtf and for good reason
Same here, there have been unique ships handed out on special events like winners of Alliance tournaments.
If it's too hard to update those skins with better graphics if there aren't that many just let them keep old skins, makes them just look more special ;)



Sorry to have to be the one to break it to you, but the Olympic Gold Medal has barely any gold in it's composition. It is just a plated skin:

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_medal#Production_and_design wrote:
The IOC dictates the physical properties of the medals and has the final decision about the finished design. Specifications for the medals are developed along with the National Olympic Committee (NOC) hosting the Games, though the IOC has brought in some set rules:

Recipients: The top three competitors receive medals
Shape: Usually circular, featuring an attachment for a chain or ribbon
Diameter: A minimum of 60 mm
Thickness: A minimum of 3 mm
Material:
First place: It is composed of silver of at least .925 grade, plated with 6 grams of gold.
Second place: .925 silver.[10]
Third place: It is mostly copper with some tin and zinc (worth approximately $3).[11]
Event details: The sport for which the medal has been awarded should be written on the medal

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics#Medals wrote:
Each gold medal is made up of 92.5 percent silver and 1.34 percent gold, with the remainder copper.


So ultimately it is the stats which make the item unique not the skin.

There's also the old saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover".
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#165 - 2015-06-14 17:42:44 UTC
Your logic is so hilariously stupid people are at a loss for words.
The Slayer
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#166 - 2015-06-15 11:33:28 UTC
Entity wrote:
- If CCP isn't committed to maintaining the integrity of unique content, then they shouldn't release unique content.


An idea from Entity I can get behind. CCP shouldn't waste resources making ships that entitled babbies will never undock.
Carrie-Anne Moss
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#167 - 2015-07-28 04:33:46 UTC
Sup with T2 ships now sharing skins with t1 ships?

They made excuse a while ago that we couldn't use the same skin license for both ships cuz quote "then people could get them confused and not be able to tell them apat"


Now lots of t2/t1 ships with same hull model share same separate skin for sale license.

Y not combination one?
Combo
Value meal!
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#168 - 2015-07-28 05:03:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Carrie-Anne Moss wrote:
Sup with T2 ships now sharing skins with t1 ships?

They made excuse a while ago that we couldn't use the same skin license for both ships cuz quote "then people could get them confused and not be able to tell them apat"


Now lots of t2/t1 ships with same hull model share same separate skin for sale license.

Y not combination one?
Combo
Value meal!

One of the CCP staff explained that on Reddit (can't remember who).

That was a policy CCP had in place for a long time, but apparently following the community response to closing off the bug and comments about SKINs for T2 ships, there was internal discussion and they changed their approach.

My personal opinion, is that is a bit of a cop out, but I also think CCP have handled the whole SKIN thing poorly.

So, it is what it is now. No more restrictions based on visual gameplay issues.
flakeys
Doomheim
#169 - 2015-07-28 07:42:14 UTC
Eugene Kerner wrote:
Entity wrote:
Really?

So you hand out unique ships as event reward and then just go "lol we'll reuse this skin because only a handful of people have it anyway. We don't care about upsetting customers that obtained those ships, we just care about getting a few more bucks from skins"

Thanks, CCP. Thanks a lot.

I guess I can look forward to seeing the skins of all the unique ships I have in the NEX store.

Seriously though, the visual identity of these ships is part of what makes them unique. I think it's a bad call to reuse those skins. It's not good for the game in the long run.


We have a saying here for spoiled kids: "Close your eyes and you´ll see what belongs to you"



The thing is , in this game there are no spoiled kids.There are those who achieve wealth by themselves and there are those who stay scrubs .Be it with scamming , taking Alliance money , or just being a verry good trader at the end of the day unless you just buy ingame wealth with rl cash you made this possible yourself and not by being ''spoiled by daddy''.

I can understand why entity is a bit ''upset'' about this , but on the other side entity you should know better by now then to expect CCP to not do something like this.After all this isn't the first time if i recall right that you come to GD to '' reclaim the right for rarity''.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Neckbeardian
Doomheim
#170 - 2015-07-28 10:37:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Neckbeardian
OP, The skin might not be as unique as it used to be but the stats show otherwise. A skin doesn't make or break a ship. Just additional eyecandy everyone in the game can enjoy now. OK with it's limits but I guess it's going somewhere? At least now you can freely play spacedoll online a lot more cheaper compared to before ... Jeez ...

Anyway, for sure CCP was going to reskin or provide another skin for it anyway.
Now that you alerted them ... Well ... Incoming hotfix for the guys who can? oO
Nicolai Serkanner
Incredible.
Brave Collective
#171 - 2015-07-28 10:57:22 UTC
flakeys wrote:



The thing is , in this game there are no spoiled kids....unless you just buy ingame wealth with rl cash .

.



So, there are spoiled kids. Ugh
Entity
X-Factor Industries
Synthetic Existence
#172 - 2015-07-28 13:03:14 UTC
flakeys wrote:
I can understand why entity is a bit ''upset'' about this , but on the other side entity you should know better by now then to expect CCP to not do something like this.After all this isn't the first time if i recall right that you come to GD to '' reclaim the right for rarity''.


I've (succesfully) defended items (including ones I do not own) from a similar fate before.

Also, it's not about being spoiled or anything. I'd be a bad collector if I did not try and defend that which I've done for the past 12 years.

╦......║...╔╗.║.║.╔╗.╦║.╔╗╔╦╗╔╗

║.╔╗╔╗╔╣.╔╗╠..╠ ╠╗╠╝.║╠ ╠╝║║║╚╗

╩═╚╝║.╚╝.╚╝║..╚╝║║╚╝.╩╚╝╚╝║.║╚╝

Got Item?

Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#173 - 2015-07-28 13:42:39 UTC
Nicolai Serkanner wrote:
flakeys wrote:
The thing is , in this game there are no spoiled kids....unless you just buy ingame wealth with rl cash .

.



So, there are spoiled kids. Ugh

Does that make them spoiled kids if they "made" that cash themselves IRL?
Rawthorm
The Establishment
#174 - 2015-07-28 13:53:02 UTC
Entity wrote:
Wendrika Hydreiga wrote:
Gregor Parud wrote:

Oh doh, I thought he meant Entity.


I have the upmost respect for Entitty and his incredible ship collection. And my knowledge of what happened with Somer is almost nonexistant, apart from the fact they were given SER Stratios. Because of reasons.

But Entity's 1% attitude regarding SKINS is just not cool.


It has little to do with 1% and everything to do with the fact it's cheap and lazy to copy an existing skin, of a unique ship no less.

There's 2 problems with this:
- Clearly everyone who is saying looks aren't important are forgetting that they're apparently important enough for CCP to charge you for them.
- If CCP isn't committed to maintaining the integrity of unique content, then they shouldn't release unique content. What's next? A ship with the same stats as a unique? "Oh but it has a different name so it's ok, your ship is still special". Yeah whatever Roll


Speaking of CCP laziness, I also think it's about time that CCP stopped neglecting unique ships when balancing passes are done. It's disheartening to see some beasts released as unique ships, only to find them severely underpowered as the game progresses simply because they got left out of the stats changes that applied to the ships they were originally based on.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#175 - 2015-07-28 14:01:29 UTC
I'm with Entity on this one. Keep up the good fight.

Although I personally threw in the towel a while back and sold off all my unique ships and fashion before they completely lost their value and uniqueness.

Mr Epeen Cool
Wacktopia
State War Academy
Caldari State
#176 - 2015-07-28 14:17:04 UTC
Throwing in my support for Entity here.

Unique sips (including their skin) are an important trophy to many players and hold great value both in ISK and in bragging rights.

Taking that away for a cheap buck devalues those items and the purpose of having unique items in general.

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com

Hadrian Blackstone
Yamato Holdings
#177 - 2015-07-28 15:05:53 UTC
I see Entity's point and I agree with the sentiment that CCP is just finding a way to make some easy money (perhaps to offset the loss of subs?) but regardless, if both ships undocked it would instantly be clear which is the real thing and which is just a tacky paint job.

And for the record I wouldn't buy a ship skin either, if it ain't the real thing I'm not interested.
flakeys
Doomheim
#178 - 2015-07-28 15:11:46 UTC
Nicolai Serkanner wrote:
flakeys wrote:



The thing is , in this game there are no spoiled kids....unless you just buy ingame wealth with rl cash .

.



So, there are spoiled kids. Ugh



Every rule has an exception dude , common knowledge Lol

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

flakeys
Doomheim
#179 - 2015-07-28 15:12:43 UTC
Barrogh Habalu wrote:
Nicolai Serkanner wrote:
flakeys wrote:
The thing is , in this game there are no spoiled kids....unless you just buy ingame wealth with rl cash .

.



So, there are spoiled kids. Ugh

Does that make them spoiled kids if they "made" that cash themselves IRL?


Nope ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

flakeys
Doomheim
#180 - 2015-07-28 15:14:28 UTC
Entity wrote:
flakeys wrote:
I can understand why entity is a bit ''upset'' about this , but on the other side entity you should know better by now then to expect CCP to not do something like this.After all this isn't the first time if i recall right that you come to GD to '' reclaim the right for rarity''.


I've (succesfully) defended items (including ones I do not own) from a similar fate before.




I know mate , but it happened before so it is expected to happen again.You might be defending those items but your OP makes it sound/look like you where surprised it happened.I just pointed out that you should not be surprised as it is just a repeat from past actions by CCP.

And it will definatly happen again...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.