These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

[Question] Multi-screen Eve & Object icons around screen borders

Author
Sil Foundation
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-04-30 10:50:09 UTC
So I finally got off my lazy arse and plugged in an extra monitor under the guise of 'need it for work'. Eve multi-screen is great, all that extra real-estate for putting local, the market, dscan, etc.

One thing that's bugging the crap out of me, though, is that the 'objects in space' icons that normally circle around the border of my screen when they are off-screen now overflow onto the second monitor and follow its edge too.

I get that this might be something that some folks might want, but I'm wondering if there's a way to force them to circle the primary monitor only, and ignore the secondary monitor (because I don't want to have to pay that much attention to that screen).
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2015-04-30 10:56:54 UTC
Unfortunately I'd assume the answer is no. Sad

But if someone knows how to do it, I'd be very interested as well, as I'll get a second monitor in a couple of months.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Sil Foundation
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2015-04-30 11:00:01 UTC
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
Unfortunately I'd assume the answer is no. Sad

But if someone knows how to do it, I'd be very interested as well, as I'll get a second monitor in a couple of months.


I can highly recommend it. Now I'm thinking a third might be nice.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-04-30 11:06:19 UTC
Sil Foundation wrote:
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
Unfortunately I'd assume the answer is no. Sad

But if someone knows how to do it, I'd be very interested as well, as I'll get a second monitor in a couple of months.


I can highly recommend it. Now I'm thinking a third might be nice.
Hehe, I can hardly wait, especially since I've been playing EVE for 2 years on a 14' low-res laptop.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Memphis Baas
#5 - 2015-04-30 12:42:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
There is no option, currently. I have to leave a 5mm gap around the edges of the screen by making sure my overview, local, and all other in-game windows don't extend all the way to the edge.

I believe they had the option with early versions of the client, back in 2007 or something. Or rather, the client had the capability to reduce the size of the in-space scene and add black margins around the top bottom left and right edges, much like a 1080 TV displaying 480p broadcasts. Couldn't offset the camera center, though.

I'd like to see two options implemented in the Graphics tab:

- offset the camera horizontally (already exists)
- offset the camera vertically
- use black borders instead of stretching the scene

Hopefully they implement it correctly: if I offset camera left 20%, I lose 20% of the viewing angle on the left because it's off-screen, so the black border on the right would also have to extend 20% into the scene, so that my ship is centered in-space. Basically, a 20% camera offset gains 40% black border area, if that makes sense.

And yes, the in-space icons would circle the "scene" area and not go into the black border space. That way we can move overview, comms, and all other windows to the black borders and have an unobstructed space scene with icons circling as they should.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#6 - 2015-04-30 13:20:07 UTC
Put a second client on the other screen.
problem solved.
Sil Foundation
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2015-04-30 14:15:48 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
There is no option, currently. I have to leave a 5mm gap around the edges of the screen by making sure my overview, local, and all other in-game windows don't extend all the way to the edge.

I believe they had the option with early versions of the client, back in 2007 or something. Or rather, the client had the capability to reduce the size of the in-space scene and add black margins around the top bottom left and right edges, much like a 1080 TV displaying 480p broadcasts. Couldn't offset the camera center, though.

I'd like to see two options implemented in the Graphics tab:

- offset the camera horizontally (already exists)
- offset the camera vertically
- use black borders instead of stretching the scene

Hopefully they implement it correctly: if I offset camera left 20%, I lose 20% of the viewing angle on the left because it's off-screen, so the black border on the right would also have to extend 20% into the scene, so that my ship is centered in-space. Basically, a 20% camera offset gains 40% black border area, if that makes sense.

And yes, the in-space icons would circle the "scene" area and not go into the black border space. That way we can move overview, comms, and all other windows to the black borders and have an unobstructed space scene with icons circling as they should.


This would be nice. I don't actually need to actually see the stars on the second screen. Filling it in with black would be acceptable.

My guess is that we wont see any change like this any time soon as multiscreen users are more than likely not a majority of the eve player base Cry
Delt0r Garsk
Shits N Giggles
#8 - 2015-04-30 14:29:02 UTC
extra screens are for extra clients.... :D
I have 4 at work.

AKA the scientist.

Death and Glory!

Well fun is also good.

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#9 - 2015-04-30 16:15:16 UTC
So guess what? There IS an answer!

It's the new map. The map, being in a window by default, instead if full screen, can also be docked to either side of the screen or re-maximized to full screen.

The docking just so happens to take up half of the client by default and WILL change the edge that brackets scroll along.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/069xk3o.png

The Drake is a Lie

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2015-04-30 17:05:13 UTC
Xercodo wrote:
So guess what? There IS an answer!

It's the new map. The map, being in a window by default, instead if full screen, can also be docked to either side of the screen or re-maximized to full screen.

The docking just so happens to take up half of the client by default and WILL change the edge that brackets scroll along.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/069xk3o.png
You, sir, are a f*ing GENIUS!

Looks pretty cool as a backdrop to the right-side windows, as well!

Thanks! Big smile

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#11 - 2015-04-30 17:44:17 UTC
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
Xercodo wrote:
So guess what? There IS an answer!

It's the new map. The map, being in a window by default, instead if full screen, can also be docked to either side of the screen or re-maximized to full screen.

The docking just so happens to take up half of the client by default and WILL change the edge that brackets scroll along.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/069xk3o.png
You, sir, are a f*ing GENIUS!

Looks pretty cool as a backdrop to the right-side windows, as well!

Thanks! Big smile


It's also a great way to uncluster-**** your in-space view. So I can keep my dscan, probe scanner, and chats over on that side. Keep fitting and inventory on the left, market on the right, etc etc.

The Drake is a Lie

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#12 - 2015-04-30 18:00:07 UTC
Xercodo wrote:
So guess what? There IS an answer!

It's the new map. The map, being in a window by default, instead if full screen, can also be docked to either side of the screen or re-maximized to full screen.

The docking just so happens to take up half of the client by default and WILL change the edge that brackets scroll along.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/069xk3o.png

Shockedthats fantastic
Memphis Baas
#13 - 2015-04-30 19:57:53 UTC
Yes but the new map has a constant humming sound while it's opened, and that's driving me nuts. You guys don't mind it? I've given feedback about it, hopefully they remove the sound.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#14 - 2015-04-30 20:45:55 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
Yes but the new map has a constant humming sound while it's opened, and that's driving me nuts. You guys don't mind it? I've given feedback about it, hopefully they remove the sound.

Obligatory, "EVE has sound?"
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#15 - 2015-04-30 21:05:19 UTC
I dont hear it

The Drake is a Lie

Memphis Baas
#16 - 2015-05-01 01:17:42 UTC
It's a continuous low hum as if you were standing next to a power transformer, but softened so it's not so harsh, so I'm guessing 60 to 100 Hz, with new age-y higher pitched aural sounds every now and then.

If your ears CAN hear bass well, then you probably have the UI Sounds slider set to 0 in the Audio tab in the ESC game control panel. So I can turn it off, but that slider also turns off the UI clicks, targeting sounds, low shield/armor/hull warnings, etc.

There are no specific sliders for Map Sounds in the Advanced Audio Settings section. And nothing in the Map interface itself.

And I don't think I'm alone in considering a continuous electrical-like hum extremely annoying after about a minute.
Sil Foundation
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#17 - 2015-05-01 06:23:45 UTC
Xercodo wrote:
So guess what? There IS an answer!

It's the new map. The map, being in a window by default, instead if full screen, can also be docked to either side of the screen or re-maximized to full screen.

The docking just so happens to take up half of the client by default and WILL change the edge that brackets scroll along.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/069xk3o.png



Thank you. You win internet spaceships.

Exactly what I was looking for - with a map "backdrop" to boot!