These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev blog: Ship Customization: Time to Show Some SKIN

First post First post
Author
CCP Terminus
C C P
C C P Alliance
#241 - 2015-04-22 11:39:07 UTC
Sven Viko VIkolander wrote:
I am curious why the Police Comet is marked as a permanent skin, when it is still in some ways an in-game drop. I am happy to have it permanent, but it seems like a mistake.


The Police Pursuit Comet will become a permanent SKIN. It's cost in the LP Store will also be changing.
The reasoning behind this was that, although they are in-game items, Police Pursuit Comets actively bought and so the market can self regulate them, versus loot drop SKINs which can't be controlled as easily by the market to keep their value up.

@CCP_Terminus // Game Designer // Team Size Matters

OkarasRule
Murder Is Sometimes Justified
Ankle Biter's
#242 - 2015-04-22 11:39:14 UTC
the ORE development edition ships have "market" as their method of getting them... does that mean they will be seeded by npcs?
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#243 - 2015-04-22 11:53:25 UTC
NekoKitten wrote:
How about dropping a time limited skin of a ship that was SKINned by a capsuleer that got destroyed in pvp and ofcourse treated like any loot drop (yes or no said the loot fairy), is that an idea or a terrible one ?



I could see potential farming issues here. Though I guess the time limited could be more limited than the 30 days.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Marox Calendale
Xynodyne
The Initiative.
#244 - 2015-04-22 11:54:35 UTC
All shown new SKINs are for T1 Hulls only except Exhumers. Why are there no SKIN´s for Barges or T2 Hulls? Will they be introduced in future patches?
Theo Sotken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#245 - 2015-04-22 11:54:49 UTC
Burnt Beans wrote:
Question to CCP.

I am currently in possession of the quafe ships after subscribing for a year. They are being held on an alt account.

Does the character I wish the permanent skins to belong to after the change have to have possession of the ships at the change or is the skin transferrable before applying?

Cheers


The BPC's change into permanent licences to be applied.
The ships are seperated into the base ship + permanent licence

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5660433#post5660433
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#246 - 2015-04-22 11:57:44 UTC
OkarasRule wrote:
the ORE development edition ships have "market" as their method of getting them... does that mean they will be seeded by npcs?



Market = The only way to get them is to buy them from other players (who got them before, and haven't injected the license)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

OkarasRule
Murder Is Sometimes Justified
Ankle Biter's
#247 - 2015-04-22 12:10:01 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
OkarasRule wrote:
the ORE development edition ships have "market" as their method of getting them... does that mean they will be seeded by npcs?



Market = The only way to get them is to buy them from other players (who got them before, and haven't injected the license)


thank you for the fast answer and thank the gods of eve I bought 15 of them lmao
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#248 - 2015-04-22 12:29:38 UTC
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
well some people would wonder about why different skins for the same ship would be priced so differently, and so high

i'd encourage these people to think about these skins as if they were clothing

Quote:
Look at the clothes you are currently wearing in real life. Do you have any specific brands? Did you choose it because it was better quality than a no-name brand? Assume for a short while that you are wearing a pair of $1,000 jeans from some exclusive Japanese boutique shop. Why would you want to wear a pair of $1,000 jeans when you can get perfectly similar jeans for under $50? What do other people think about you when they see you wearing them? For some you will look like the sad culmination of vainness while others will admire you and think you are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Whichever it is, it is clear that by wearing clothes you are expressing yourself and that the price is one of the many dimensions that clothes possess to do that in addition to style and fit. You don't need to buy expensive clothes. In fact you don't need to buy any clothes. Whatever you choose to do reflects what you are and what you want others to think you are.


it's obviously perfectly fine that a particular recolour'd cost more than another recolour because the higher price adds to the prestige of owning the skin

i think ccp should be applauded for this fearless approach to cosmetics pricing


One can be fearless by jumping into a wood chipper, it does not automatically make it a wise choice.

Of course your argument holds meaning in the luxury market, but wrapping a ford car in gold paint does not make it a luxury item, no matter how pretty. It is still a consumer automobile.

There is an opportunity here for low priced cosmetic items, something where everyone has many. As it stands, it is offering false vanity, to a few, at high price. The income will be minimal, and the cost to the brand significant.

Not exactly the goal of a marketing department.

However, we will see, one of us will be right.
And If it is me, I will be deeply sad, as it will be a golden opportunity lost at harm to the game I love.

i thought the quote'd be a dead giveaway but ok
to be clear, it's dumb and i'm turned off of buying any because it's dumb
Asayanami Dei
Adhocracy Incorporated
Adhocracy
#249 - 2015-04-22 12:43:47 UTC
In the character sheet SKINS tab, the search field lets you search for specific items, it would be nice if I could type in "Amarr" and all the Amarr ships that have skins available would show up. Likewise for Gallente, Caldari and Minmatar.

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I--THE CAPACITOR IS EMPTY

Youtube: /asayanami

Twitter: @asayanami

wormholefundamentals.com

GankYou
9B30FF Labs
#250 - 2015-04-22 12:54:33 UTC
OkarasRule wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:
OkarasRule wrote:
the ORE development edition ships have "market" as their method of getting them... does that mean they will be seeded by npcs?



Market = The only way to get them is to buy them from other players (who got them before, and haven't injected the license)


thank you for the fast answer and thank the gods of eve I bought 15 of them lmao


You're spacerich now. Cool
kyoukoku
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#251 - 2015-04-22 12:59:03 UTC
Marox Calendale wrote:
All shown new SKINs are for T1 Hulls only except Exhumers. Why are there no SKIN´s for Barges or T2 Hulls? Will they be introduced in future patches?



If you play with the URL of the Internet Spaceship Interactive Spinner (ISIS®©™) you can find what some T2 Hulls look like with various SKINs;

e.g.
Aliastra Nemesis
or
The Quafe Bomber (also the Nemesis)

The standard Manticore (in native Laidai SKIN) vs the Wiyrkomi Manticore

You can pull the relevant hull IDs from the Scylla DB Dump found on the dev site, specifically from the file "graphicsIDs.yaml".

At least you'll have some idea of what skins you might like to see in future, because even if they don't currently exist as obtainable items, with this you know it's possible to have any combination.
Akrasjel Lanate
Lanate Industries
#252 - 2015-04-22 13:00:35 UTC
When will SKINs work in way that for example i have a Kor-Azor skin an it can be applied to all Amarr T1 hulls beacause now(still) if you fly a ship diffrent than those with SKINs... you have nothing ?

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

GankYou
9B30FF Labs
#253 - 2015-04-22 13:04:15 UTC
Akrasjel Lanate wrote:
When will SKINs work in way that for example i have a Kor-Azor skin an it can be applied to all Amarr T1 hulls beacause now(still) if you fly a ship diffrent than those with SKINs... you have nothing ?


I thought the system would work like that when it was first announced, but seeing objectively - the demand would've been exhausted in no time under such conditions.

So yes, ship-type specific SKINs is what we have currently.
Sahn Koon
Yuvha
#254 - 2015-04-22 13:10:08 UTC
Damjan Fox wrote:
Prices might seem quite high at first, but you have to consider, that these new SKINs are indestructible now. You only have to purchase them once. And in addition to that, you can buy them with ISK from the market, which costs you no real life money at all.
(...and it's not like i have bought 1 or 2 skinned ships in advance Twisted)

PS:
How long do i have to wait, till i get my Black Astero or Black Stratios? Please, CCP, make it happen!Cry



They would probably cost $50 dollars each. Or maybe even more for the Stratios. I'm sure the price will far out way the benefits.
Sahn Koon
Yuvha
#255 - 2015-04-22 13:14:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Sahn Koon
Benny Ohu wrote:
Ned Thomas wrote:
Verskon Qaual wrote:
variable pricing based on desirability


Just wanted to point out: this is not something to criticize. This is something that should be expected.

Not that I'm completely on board with the price structure here, mind you, but this isn't one of the problems.

well some people would wonder about why different skins for the same ship would be priced so differently, and so high

i'd encourage these people to think about these skins as if they were clothing

Quote:
Look at the clothes you are currently wearing in real life. Do you have any specific brands? Did you choose it because it was better quality than a no-name brand? Assume for a short while that you are wearing a pair of $1,000 jeans from some exclusive Japanese boutique shop. Why would you want to wear a pair of $1,000 jeans when you can get perfectly similar jeans for under $50? What do other people think about you when they see you wearing them? For some you will look like the sad culmination of vainness while others will admire you and think you are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Whichever it is, it is clear that by wearing clothes you are expressing yourself and that the price is one of the many dimensions that clothes possess to do that in addition to style and fit. You don't need to buy expensive clothes. In fact you don't need to buy any clothes. Whatever you choose to do reflects what you are and what you want others to think you are.


it's obviously perfectly fine that a particular recolour'd cost more than another recolour because the higher price adds to the prestige of owning the skin

i think ccp should be applauded for this fearless approach to cosmetics pricing


Yea, vouch for the retailer and pay top price! You'll have a hard time in life with that mentality.
Lavayar
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#256 - 2015-04-22 13:19:26 UTC
So why is ship SKIN system is bad idea for EVE?

Not because of CCP gets more money.

It`s because it does not fit the "golden rule" of EVE universe "If you undock be ready to loose it all".
But now CCP introduces "something" that is yours forever, no matter what happens with you after undock.

This is bad for EVE!

And all that "rich boys", who is stupidly loosing their shiny officer fit toys every day, will get a way to be shiny, but not to loose anything.

And this is bad for EVE!

CCP stop that!

Make SKINS destructible with ships. Make them like t3 subsystems, or "skin" rigs, or something like that (there are many fine proposals).
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#257 - 2015-04-22 13:39:42 UTC
lel

Actually, this is a wealth transfer mechanic from established pilots to new people, just like PLEX is. Smile

That is very healthy from an economic point of view.
Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#258 - 2015-04-22 13:39:53 UTC
Wait. Wtf did I just see? I was actually zooming and spinning the ship in the image in the devblog! How did you do that?

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Odeva Pawen
Fliet Pizza Delivery
PERCUSSIVE PIZZA TIME DIPLOMACY
#259 - 2015-04-22 13:44:04 UTC
On patch day, how will the conversion of market orders work? will the skin items themselves stay on the market, or will they just be dumped in the item hanger?

Overheat Keyboards! Load Rage posts! Prepare for a long, seething, back and forth about irrelevant things!

Gaia Ma'chello
Photosynth
#260 - 2015-04-22 13:49:55 UTC
Many people, including me, don't like the temporary SKINs as loot drops. But, CCP, you do have a point about market saturation. How to fix? Have permanent SKINs drop as loot very, very rarely. There will always be demand for SKINs as new players join eve. You just need to insure the drop rate is low enough, and the market will never saturate.