These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Which T3 for Solo Exploration?

Author
Bedreddin
97997
#1 - 2015-03-07 07:12:35 UTC
I've been back in the game for 3 months after a 2 year abscence. I've moved my way through Gnosis to Stratios to my current ship the Gila. I prefer to go it solo so am trying to choose which of the T3's will best suit null and wormhole exploration with the ability to do combat sites.
Is a passive Tengu the way to go or should I be looking at Proteus and Legion, the other two ships I have to choose from with both being able to field drones.
Thanks in advance
Valkin Mordirc
#2 - 2015-03-07 11:08:20 UTC
T3's have a coming Nerf coming up to the defensive systems. So Might be a good idea to wait and see.

However I see more Tengu's fitted for exploration than any other T3's.
#DeleteTheWeak
Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#3 - 2015-03-07 14:43:19 UTC
It's not what it used to be, but I think the Tengu is still recommended for combat exploration because of range and cargo space.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#4 - 2015-03-07 14:48:33 UTC
stratios then legion/proteus (imo)

personally i love the legion but theirs a balancing pass looming so it might be best to stick with the stratios till we know which ones still have any teeth left when they put the bat back down
Garrett Osinov
Doomheim
#5 - 2015-03-07 15:54:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Garrett Osinov
I can fly Tengu and Legion...and personally I don't understand how and why would I use them for exploration.

Those ships can maximum run C3 wormholes, income there is around 120 mils per hour (correct me if I am wrong) and there is a big risk to get killed and loose an expensive ship + skillpoints. Doing lvl4 missions gives me around 100 mils income.

Also another big question is cargo hold size. To travel / scan in WH / 0.0 / Low sec I would like to have 3 subs dedicated to this (interdiction nullifier, cov ops config and sub dedicated to scanning hacking) , also you need a mobile depot and mobile tractor beam, and a combat configuration. After all this you have only 40m3 space left (or similar numbers).
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#6 - 2015-03-07 19:38:03 UTC
Garrett Osinov wrote:
I can fly Tengu and Legion...and personally I don't understand how and why would I use them for exploration.

Those ships can maximum run C3 wormholes, income there is around 120 mils per hour (correct me if I am wrong) and there is a big risk to get killed and loose an expensive ship + skillpoints. Doing lvl4 missions gives me around 100 mils income.

Also another big question is cargo hold size. To travel / scan in WH / 0.0 / Low sec I would like to have 3 subs dedicated to this (interdiction nullifier, cov ops config and sub dedicated to scanning hacking) , also you need a mobile depot and mobile tractor beam, and a combat configuration. After all this you have only 40m3 space left (or similar numbers).


Because L4s are boring as ****?

In low sec there's no need for an interdiction nullifier and it's absolutely beyond me why you'd want an MTU for exploration. Depending on rats, Proteus, Legion, and Tengu are all viable.

As for null and wormhole? Pretty much the same. You probably aren't going to get a nullifier on every fit but honestly? Just be mindful and don't get yourself into bad situations. They're almost all avoidable.
Orlacc
#7 - 2015-03-07 20:13:57 UTC
WTF does running C3 anomalies have to do with exploration?

All T3s can be used for exploration.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Garrett Osinov
Doomheim
#8 - 2015-03-07 21:31:33 UTC
Orlacc wrote:
WTF does running C3 anomalies have to do with exploration?

All T3s can be used for exploration.


I thought that exploration means going to god knows where...like WH and doing anomalies there. If I am wrong, then ok...
Garrett Osinov
Doomheim
#9 - 2015-03-07 21:33:21 UTC
Zhilia Mann wrote:
Garrett Osinov wrote:
I can fly Tengu and Legion...and personally I don't understand how and why would I use them for exploration.

Those ships can maximum run C3 wormholes, income there is around 120 mils per hour (correct me if I am wrong) and there is a big risk to get killed and loose an expensive ship + skillpoints. Doing lvl4 missions gives me around 100 mils income.

Also another big question is cargo hold size. To travel / scan in WH / 0.0 / Low sec I would like to have 3 subs dedicated to this (interdiction nullifier, cov ops config and sub dedicated to scanning hacking) , also you need a mobile depot and mobile tractor beam, and a combat configuration. After all this you have only 40m3 space left (or similar numbers).


Because L4s are boring as ****?

In low sec there's no need for an interdiction nullifier and it's absolutely beyond me why you'd want an MTU for exploration. Depending on rats, Proteus, Legion, and Tengu are all viable.

As for null and wormhole? Pretty much the same. You probably aren't going to get a nullifier on every fit but honestly? Just be mindful and don't get yourself into bad situations. They're almost all avoidable.


MTU I was using for collecting loot from sleepers...
Orlacc
#10 - 2015-03-07 22:07:41 UTC
Garrett Osinov wrote:
Orlacc wrote:
WTF does running C3 anomalies have to do with exploration?

All T3s can be used for exploration.


I thought that exploration means going to god knows where...like WH and doing anomalies there. If I am wrong, then ok...



Traditionally, exploration refers to probing down relic or data sites and then hacking or doing combat sites. Of course one finds WHs and then "explores" them. Running C3 anomalies in a ship fitted for exploration would get ugly fast. That and Sleeper anomalies do not need to be scanned down.

By your logic gate camping is exploration as one needs to find a gate to camp. A little broad I think.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Bedreddin
97997
#11 - 2015-03-07 22:55:30 UTC
Thanks for the thoughts!

To pad out my want from a t3 a bit further, yes i'm considering sleeper sites as part of exploration. I'm wanting to be able to travel null, and to some extent wormholes, do combat and sleeper sites, and where profitable data/relic.

By the looks of it I'm going to have to keep the amount of modules down in cargo unless i use a MC to set up for an extended period of time in a particular space. I was thinking on the side of interdiction nullifier for the most part over covert. Am I wrong to think so? If I'm looking to do more combat/sleeper sites does this rule out particular modules or t3's?

I've used the Stratios for hi-sec and ended up thinking the Gila was a far better option speed and tanking wise. The harder combat sites got the less I considered stratios an option for null and anything like sleeper sites, thus the questions over t3's

Again thanks in advance
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#12 - 2015-03-08 01:25:57 UTC
Bedreddin wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts!

To pad out my want from a t3 a bit further, yes i'm considering sleeper sites as part of exploration. I'm wanting to be able to travel null, and to some extent wormholes, do combat and sleeper sites, and where profitable data/relic.

By the looks of it I'm going to have to keep the amount of modules down in cargo unless i use a MC to set up for an extended period of time in a particular space. I was thinking on the side of interdiction nullifier for the most part over covert. Am I wrong to think so? If I'm looking to do more combat/sleeper sites does this rule out particular modules or t3's?

I've used the Stratios for hi-sec and ended up thinking the Gila was a far better option speed and tanking wise. The harder combat sites got the less I considered stratios an option for null and anything like sleeper sites, thus the questions over t3's

Again thanks in advance

are you "solo" or solo because a pair of t3's work really nicely togeather
Bedreddin
97997
#13 - 2015-03-08 02:34:56 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Bedreddin wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts!

To pad out my want from a t3 a bit further, yes i'm considering sleeper sites as part of exploration. I'm wanting to be able to travel null, and to some extent wormholes, do combat and sleeper sites, and where profitable data/relic.

By the looks of it I'm going to have to keep the amount of modules down in cargo unless i use a MC to set up for an extended period of time in a particular space. I was thinking on the side of interdiction nullifier for the most part over covert. Am I wrong to think so? If I'm looking to do more combat/sleeper sites does this rule out particular modules or t3's?

I've used the Stratios for hi-sec and ended up thinking the Gila was a far better option speed and tanking wise. The harder combat sites got the less I considered stratios an option for null and anything like sleeper sites, thus the questions over t3's

Again thanks in advance

are you "solo" or solo because a pair of t3's work really nicely togeather


Solo, as in no corp or dual boxing
Garrett Osinov
Doomheim
#14 - 2015-03-08 09:09:22 UTC
Bedreddin wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts!

To pad out my want from a t3 a bit further, yes i'm considering sleeper sites as part of exploration. I'm wanting to be able to travel null, and to some extent wormholes, do combat and sleeper sites, and where profitable data/relic.



Tengu tanks 1000+ dps which is good for C3 sites, but then you are going to have problems with cargo hold.
Bedreddin
97997
#15 - 2015-03-16 01:48:40 UTC
It seems the harder C3 sites require a tank of 800-1000, and pretty good cap stability. First question is this doable in a Proteus, either drone or hybrid? Is this viable speed wise compared to Tengu? With regard to Tengu do people have a preference for L shield booster fit over M?
Basically I'm going to be doing wormhole day tripping c2/3 and then moving through wormholes to null for data/relic sites as I progress. 2 different fits obviously so I'm looking for t3 that will give best versatility
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#16 - 2015-03-16 03:34:01 UTC
I've never done C3 in my Tengu, BUT:
I've done hundreds of other combat sites in both a Tengu and a Proteus.
Tank was similar
DPS was similar (Rail Proteus vs Heavy Missile Tengu)

In sites with neuts, the Tengu can keep on firing. That's a pretty huge advantage imo
Native resists may not be good for any site with EM damage though...

Drone Proteus is also nice, especially to carry ECM drones for extra gtfo help if needed. But neuts definataly kill the weapons and the reps there.

For what I do (did) I always consider the Proteus *second best*

Large booster is the way to go. Some sites deliver big Alpha and a medium just can't out boost it. You gotta be able to kill the tackle, and tank that huge alpha for a few volleys before you can warp out.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2015-03-16 10:58:38 UTC
Garrett Osinov wrote:
Zhilia Mann wrote:
Garrett Osinov wrote:
I can fly Tengu and Legion...and personally I don't understand how and why would I use them for exploration.

Those ships can maximum run C3 wormholes, income there is around 120 mils per hour (correct me if I am wrong) and there is a big risk to get killed and loose an expensive ship + skillpoints. Doing lvl4 missions gives me around 100 mils income.

Also another big question is cargo hold size. To travel / scan in WH / 0.0 / Low sec I would like to have 3 subs dedicated to this (interdiction nullifier, cov ops config and sub dedicated to scanning hacking) , also you need a mobile depot and mobile tractor beam, and a combat configuration. After all this you have only 40m3 space left (or similar numbers).


Because L4s are boring as ****?

In low sec there's no need for an interdiction nullifier and it's absolutely beyond me why you'd want an MTU for exploration. Depending on rats, Proteus, Legion, and Tengu are all viable.

As for null and wormhole? Pretty much the same. You probably aren't going to get a nullifier on every fit but honestly? Just be mindful and don't get yourself into bad situations. They're almost all avoidable.


MTU I was using for collecting loot from sleepers...


you salvage sleepers not loot them?

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2015-03-16 11:39:30 UTC
The large bulk of money from sleepers is the blue loot that they drop, salvage often weighs in between 10-15% of the overall money
Warmonger Simon
Trinity Alpha Zero
#19 - 2015-03-16 12:05:55 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
The large bulk of money from sleepers is the blue loot that they drop, salvage often weighs in between 10-15% of the overall money


Can confirm. Just hauled total of ~1.2 bill salvage and blue loot from doing c2/3's, and nanoribbons(salvage) was about ~200m out of 1.2b so 15-20% or so.
Sentry 10
Escape Velocity
#20 - 2015-03-17 19:54:24 UTC
Are you looking for an all in one? (Salvage, scan, cloak, tank)

Legion is great for that, plus you don't need to carry ammo if your cargo
12Next page