These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Repercussions of allowing Mobile Depots to launch for corporation?

Author
Chance Ravinne
WiNGSPAN Delivery Services
WiNGSPAN Delivery Network
#1 - 2015-02-24 18:08:11 UTC
One of the most common misconceptions about Mobile Depots I see is new players assuming they can be shared by other corp members.

Obviously this would be a pretty powerful tool, but would it be overpowered? Because if not I think it would greatly encourage cooperative efforts like roams, camps, exploration. It would also provide a tool for groups to operate in occupied space, which will result in conflict.

You've just read another awesome post by Chance Ravinne, CEO of EVE's #1 torpedo delivery service. Watch our misadventures on my YouTube channel: WINGSPANTT

Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#2 - 2015-02-24 21:02:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Phoenix Jones
Ive had an alt diving into c13 holes. I'd find one, farm it for 2 days, take everything out. To do this I have to have a suitcase of stuff with me.

My pve fit destroyer
2 mobile depots
1 tractor unit
Ammo
Probes
Hull repairer
Storage (anchor a can)
Salvagers (6 of them)
Hacking and data analyzers

This takes up about 240 m3 of storage in my destroyer, leaving me with 160 of m3 left.

Now here is the issue I have. I cannot trade a mobile depot, nor can I trade a mobile tractor unit to an alt or another character (I'm probably screwing this up for all I know). The other char cannot scoop the unit, the other char cannot trade the unit (considered a container so it can't fit in other containers). I haven't figured out how to just eject the thing. So my 1 char has to be self contained to do everything alone in those holes.

Now on the other end. I scouted out a chimera running sites in a c5 pulsar. What they would do is send the chimera, launch a depot. Wait for it to anchor and then proceed to run the site, warping in other dreads and carriers to self escalate. The reason they did this was so that if they got "jumped", they could immediately dump out their expensive pve fit mods and swap out their cheap pvp fit mods before the main fleet arrives. Since the depot reinforces for 2 days, no wormhole group will bother to camp it (their stuff is safe). Such things are done in low and null also. We did kill the chimera, reinforced the depot but the chimera dumped anything valuable into the vault of the depot before it was reinforced.

The main issue you will run into regarding making this a corporate asset is spam amounts. If everybody in a corporation could use it, then for every pvp engagement, rule 1 will be for everybody to mass deploy depots so they can swap mods at will and store both expensive loot or expensive mods before they die. The field would be littered with these 2 day indestructible depots. In other words, people would purposely use them in the most abusive way possible. I'd like them to be scoop able by another person in the same corp once deployed (so you can trade them in space in someway, shape or form without having to use a pos or a station or a carrier/nestor.

Any enhancement for group sharing will be abused by massive fleets (move one, deploy 300 of them).

Yaay!!!!

Chance Ravinne
WiNGSPAN Delivery Services
WiNGSPAN Delivery Network
#3 - 2015-02-24 21:48:51 UTC
Hmmmm what if launch for corporation had a much longer timer, several minutes?

I've also never been a fan of the two day reinforcement. Mobile depots do not die nearly often enough despite being totally abandoned.

You've just read another awesome post by Chance Ravinne, CEO of EVE's #1 torpedo delivery service. Watch our misadventures on my YouTube channel: WINGSPANTT

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-02-24 22:00:34 UTC
would be far too overpowered, that's why carriers are killable but allow refitting.
Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#5 - 2015-02-24 22:19:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Phoenix Jones
I get where he's going at. It is a bit silly that they aren't shareable, but it would be way broken if they were. There is an answer there, but I'm not sure exactly what.

I also am not a fan of the 2 day reinforcement timer. On the meta ones, sure, but not the basic one. Epi posted some thoughts about them recently. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5485224#post5485224

The difference between these things and the players ships is that there has to be a player in the ship in order to use ship fitting services given by that ship, relegated to solely capitals and the Nestor.

I know I would want something like this for smaller gang groups, but I know it would be abused to no end in medium to large scale pve and pvp.

Yaay!!!!

Orlacc
#6 - 2015-02-24 22:39:45 UTC
This thread would really shine in Features and Ideas!

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

O'nira
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#7 - 2015-02-26 23:07:07 UTC
Phoenix Jones wrote:
Ive had an alt diving into c13 holes. I'd find one, farm it for 2 days, take everything out. To do this I have to have a suitcase of stuff with me.

My pve fit destroyer
2 mobile depots
1 tractor unit
Ammo
Probes
Hull repairer
Storage (anchor a can)
Salvagers (6 of them)
Hacking and data analyzers

This takes up about 240 m3 of storage in my destroyer, leaving me with 160 of m3 left.

Now here is the issue I have. I cannot trade a mobile depot, nor can I trade a mobile tractor unit to an alt or another character (I'm probably screwing this up for all I know). The other char cannot scoop the unit, the other char cannot trade the unit (considered a container so it can't fit in other containers). I haven't figured out how to just eject the thing. So my 1 char has to be self contained to do everything alone in those holes.

Now on the other end. I scouted out a chimera running sites in a c5 pulsar. What they would do is send the chimera, launch a depot. Wait for it to anchor and then proceed to run the site, warping in other dreads and carriers to self escalate. The reason they did this was so that if they got "jumped", they could immediately dump out their expensive pve fit mods and swap out their cheap pvp fit mods before the main fleet arrives. Since the depot reinforces for 2 days, no wormhole group will bother to camp it (their stuff is safe). Such things are done in low and null also. We did kill the chimera, reinforced the depot but the chimera dumped anything valuable into the vault of the depot before it was reinforced.

The main issue you will run into regarding making this a corporate asset is spam amounts. If everybody in a corporation could use it, then for every pvp engagement, rule 1 will be for everybody to mass deploy depots so they can swap mods at will and store both expensive loot or expensive mods before they die. The field would be littered with these 2 day indestructible depots. In other words, people would purposely use them in the most abusive way possible. I'd like them to be scoop able by another person in the same corp once deployed (so you can trade them in space in someway, shape or form without having to use a pos or a station or a carrier/nestor.

Any enhancement for group sharing will be abused by massive fleets (move one, deploy 300 of them).



make your alt hop into the ship with the depot in it, eject it, hop back into the original ship and you will be able to use it freely.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2015-02-26 23:14:06 UTC
if it was usable by fleet, it should have no reinforce timer so it's actually a viable strategic target.
Zekora Rally
U2EZ
#9 - 2015-02-27 04:46:19 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
if it was usable by fleet, it should have no reinforce timer so it's actually a viable strategic target.

Strategic target that would always be shot on site unless somehow missed?
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2015-02-27 07:59:20 UTC
Zekora Rally wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
if it was usable by fleet, it should have no reinforce timer so it's actually a viable strategic target.

Strategic target that would always be shot on site unless somehow missed?


That's a choice that a person will have to make depending on situation.

If it's made hard enough to kill then it has to be evaluated on whether or not its worth the time to kill over just going for ships.
Agent Unknown
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#11 - 2015-02-27 15:54:53 UTC
I like the idea, but have a maximum allowed per corporation in a given system.
Tikra Vargur
Eagle Feathers
#12 - 2015-02-27 22:04:23 UTC
I just wish it could be placed in the cargo hold with modules inside it
Trey Kutoi
Furries Ruin Everything
#13 - 2015-03-05 00:34:16 UTC
mobile depot overview tanking
Mr Mac
Dark Goliath
#14 - 2015-03-05 08:34:08 UTC
Tikra Vargur wrote:
I just wish it could be placed in the cargo hold with modules inside it

And only one MD can be in the cargo hold
Would be nice
infra52x
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2015-03-07 11:38:30 UTC
They are already way to easy to probe out and reinforce....remove the timer, and now you basically make people not want to deploy them in areas where they were more than likely intended for in the first place, hostile space far away from friendly space where you can refit/store fat loot... Remove that 2 day timer, you might as well finish the job and remove the depot from the game.
Aqriue
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2015-03-07 14:32:57 UTC
Phoenix Jones wrote:
Ive had an alt diving into c13 holes.

Then it should not be hard to have two alts diving in the hole, one dropping stuff in a can, and the other putting it in the MD so it can be equipped. Key trick, is to have it in something other than a MD for transfer. Also, nothing says you cannot have that second alt in a t1 scan frig, T1 industrial with cloak, a blockade runner with cloak for extra storage capacity....yeah, just need something with storage capacity and the ability to put it in a jet can and/or anchorable can near the MD, log off the alt and log on the other, pick up from the jet can/anchorable and warp to the MD to fit.