These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Cyno Beacon change idea

Author
Belynius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-01-30 02:05:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Belynius
Currently on the jump to menu, all alliance cyno beacons are visible regardless of range.

I propose allowing beacon filters on the contextual menu, or limiting results to those in range. This could be implemented with just a few lines of code. There is likely already a variable for ship jump range modified by your skills in place, and there is obviously a function for checking the distance to target system, as upon initiating a jump it has to check distance, and if the distance is too far returns a dialog stating you cannot jump that far.

The filter would be implemented simply. An if statement that checks if you can jump(likely stolen from the current jump checking functionality), if not it does not display that system on the context menu.

If it is in fact not terribly difficult to implement, I feel that it would be an excellent functional/ease of life addition to the next release, and would coincide with the recent jump changes, and make many people happy.

PS. If it is not already implemented, add poll functionality to the forums.
Godfrey Silvarna
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#2 - 2015-01-30 02:10:21 UTC
I came expecting a horrible thread full of whine and bad ideas.

I am pleasantly surprised. This proposal is genuinely excellent.
Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2015-01-30 02:13:12 UTC
Not sure if it will ever happen, but it's not a terrible idea. I'll give it a +1 maybe it will get a little visibility.
Belynius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2015-01-30 04:28:35 UTC
Thanks guys, appreciate it. It just bugs me because I get jump bridges halfway across the map and it would provide a simple solution to a problem that should not exist.
Dybbuch
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2015-01-30 07:20:09 UTC
+1 for a not terrible Idea ..
Castor Black
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2015-01-30 08:04:36 UTC
+1

paging a CCP dev to this page...
Belynius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2015-01-30 08:10:26 UTC
Castor Black wrote:
+1

paging a CCP dev to this page...


Awesome much obliged. I am aware there is already a capital ship navigation window, but it lacks "bridge to" functionality for black ops pilots, and although you can filter the tabs, it would be more functional if they allowed you to hide entries as well, then use that data for the jump/bridge tooltip upon right clicking a jump/bridge capable ship.
MainDrain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2015-01-30 09:29:06 UTC
Belynius wrote:
I am aware there is already a capital ship navigation window


Come again...
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#9 - 2015-01-30 12:44:02 UTC
MainDrain wrote:
Belynius wrote:
I am aware there is already a capital ship navigation window


Come again...

ESC --> Shortcuts --> Window --> Capital Navigation

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Belynius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2015-01-30 13:08:20 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
MainDrain wrote:
Belynius wrote:
I am aware there is already a capital ship navigation window


Come again...

ESC --> Shortcuts --> Window --> Capital Navigation


Yessir. You can map it as well, however it lacks a dropdown for the bridge contextual menu and lack of filters that edit entry visibility like overview items. If the jump/bridge menu just showed locations in range, it would be a nice little stocking stuffer in tiamat.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#11 - 2015-01-30 13:09:35 UTC
Belynius wrote:
Rivr Luzade wrote:
MainDrain wrote:
Belynius wrote:
I am aware there is already a capital ship navigation window


Come again...

ESC --> Shortcuts --> Window --> Capital Navigation


Yessir. You can map it as well, however it lacks a dropdown for the bridge contextual menu and lack of filters that edit entry visibility like overview items. If the jump/bridge menu just showed locations in range, it would be a nice little stocking stuffer in tiamat.

I know, I was just pointing out to him where he can find that window as his "Come again..." comment indicated to me that he did not know that window exists at all.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Belynius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#12 - 2015-01-30 13:15:04 UTC
Yup, was using a quote to explain its functionality to those who were not familiar with it. Very much appreciate your reply.
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#13 - 2015-01-30 14:25:01 UTC
Belynius wrote:
Castor Black wrote:
+1

paging a CCP dev to this page...


Awesome much obliged. I am aware there is already a capital ship navigation window, but it lacks "bridge to" functionality for black ops pilots, and although you can filter the tabs, it would be more functional if they allowed you to hide entries as well, then use that data for the jump/bridge tooltip upon right clicking a jump/bridge capable ship.


I'd rather see them get that capital ship navigation window working properly for a full range of cyno options with an indicator of range to each one and whether its in range or not - its even a nice looking window that never gets used except for very specific sov holding stuff.
Silent Silhouette
Malevelon Roe Industries
Convocation of Empyreans
#14 - 2015-01-30 14:50:26 UTC
Rroff wrote:
Belynius wrote:
Castor Black wrote:
+1

paging a CCP dev to this page...


Awesome much obliged. I am aware there is already a capital ship navigation window, but it lacks "bridge to" functionality for black ops pilots, and although you can filter the tabs, it would be more functional if they allowed you to hide entries as well, then use that data for the jump/bridge tooltip upon right clicking a jump/bridge capable ship.


I'd rather see them get that capital ship navigation window working properly for a full range of cyno options with an indicator of range to each one and whether its in range or not - its even a nice looking window that never gets used except for very specific sov holding stuff.


true but that would take time, this sounds like a fairly easy quick fix to hold over till a full new system can be worked out
Kruull Death
Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organisation
#15 - 2015-01-30 15:24:18 UTC
Belynius wrote:
Rivr Luzade wrote:
MainDrain wrote:
Belynius wrote:
I am aware there is already a capital ship navigation window


Come again...

ESC --> Shortcuts --> Window --> Capital Navigation


Yessir. You can map it as well, however it lacks a dropdown for the bridge contextual menu and lack of filters that edit entry visibility like overview items. If the jump/bridge menu just showed locations in range, it would be a nice little stocking stuffer in tiamat.



Aham, you can map this menu to a key (or combination). it opens in space and if you look the second tab it shows cyno bacons in range. so no clutter of the 200 cyno beacons your alliance has. Still any improvements are always welcome.
Belynius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2015-01-30 15:24:27 UTC
Yeah, it could not possibly hurt, and people would still be able to lookup a list of jump bridges regardless of range in the capital window.
Zimmer Jones
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2015-01-30 15:27:31 UTC
+1 supported

Use the force without consent and the court wont acquit you even if you are a card carryin', robe wearin' Jedi.

Belynius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#18 - 2015-01-30 15:27:31 UTC
Kruull Death wrote:

Aham, you can map this menu to a key (or combination). it opens in space and if you look the second tab it shows cyno bacons in range. so no clutter of the 200 cyno beacons your alliance has. Still any improvements are always welcome.


Yeah, it just seems like an unnecessary hassle. When I jump/bridge, I would like to be able to quickly determine what cyno beacons are in range for an emergency bridge/jump out without swimming through a list of beacons that is easily six or seven times longer than the amount of systems in range.

Currently the fastest way for me to do it is to map the Cap navigation window to alt-shift, pull it up, sort by in range, then go to my ship, right click, bridge/jump to, swim through a two page list of system names, and pray I did it fast enough.
Belynius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#19 - 2015-01-30 15:28:36 UTC
Zimmer Jones wrote:
+1 supported

Thanks!
Joseph Cash
Stardust Drifters
#20 - 2015-02-01 03:04:38 UTC
+1 This is a great idea. The facebook post lead me here, and I was pleasantly surprised upon reading it, because most ideas posted there are absolute ****.
12Next page