These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

gaming laptops advice?

Author
Hengle Teron
Rorquals Anonymous
Two Maidens One Chalice
#21 - 2015-01-19 22:01:49 UTC
buying a laptop is paying double the money for any of the hardware and still looking at so small screen that you were throwing out 10 years ago
Rain6637
Simulacra and Simulation
Goonswarm Federation
#22 - 2015-01-19 23:53:53 UTC
when it was time to see about replacing the video card in that dell laptop, the disassembly defeated my will to live.
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#23 - 2015-01-20 07:36:15 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
when it was time to see about replacing the video card in that dell laptop, the disassembly defeated my will to live.
That about sums up the sole purpose of 90% of all gaming laptops.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

jason hill
Red vs Blue Flight Academy
#24 - 2015-01-20 19:00:13 UTC
Hengle Teron wrote:
buying a laptop is paying double the money for any of the hardware and still looking at so small screen that you were throwing out 10 years ago




not strictly true ive never come across a single laptop that you couldn't plug a monitor into ..which is what im looking at right now everybody in our company without exception of 12 thousand UK employees has this functionality ...and how much is a bog standard 22" led flat screen monitor these days .. not that much when you look around .
Joe Starbreaker
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2015-01-20 19:30:43 UTC
jason hill wrote:
not strictly true ive never come across a single laptop that you couldn't plug a monitor into ..which is what im
looking at right now everybody in our company without exception of 12 thousand UK employees has this functionality ...and how much is a bog standard 22" led flat screen monitor these days .. not that much when you look around .


I also noticed that the 17" laptops generally seem to have 1920x1080 pixels, whereas my current desktop screens are 1680x1050 despite being probably 22" or more. So Mina's screenshots (above) actually have better resolution and more detail than I'm currently seeing in EVE. Might have to hunch over a little more to see the details though!
Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#26 - 2015-01-21 18:09:37 UTC
Is HP Omen any good?

The Tears Must Flow

Mehrune Khan
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2015-01-21 18:36:25 UTC
As said repeatedly above, laptops aren't the best gaming platform. That said, if you are dead set on getting a laptop for gaming purposes, I would recommend getting an Asus Republic of Gamers. These laptops run around $1k+ and I believe all of them have decent dedicated graphics cards (for a laptop).

This is a nice one

That one is just under $1100, and has a Intel I7 CPU, a 2gb Nvidia GTX860M graphics card, 16gb of RAM, and a 256gb SSD drive. You could get a desktop that is better, but for a laptop this is a pretty good deal. I would recommend this model over others simply for the fact that it comes with an SSD instead of a mechanical drive, which is a huge plus.

There are of course cheaper laptops out there, but they probably won't be as nice as this one. Newegg is a great place to go and compare laptops. They list all the specs so it's easy to compare different ones.

Also I try to steer people away from Alienware whenever possible - they are over-priced for what you get. I admit they are nice, and if you get an new Alienware machine you can game on it, but you will be paying more for the fancy name than the parts.
Previous page12