These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

CSM Campaigns

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Sion Kumitomo: CSM X

First post
Author
Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#21 - 2014-12-10 02:00:45 UTC
Good guy , very effective communicator and CSM. Will be getting my vote.

@EveManny

https://twitter.com/EveManny

corebloodbrothers
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#22 - 2014-12-10 10:07:27 UTC
Sion was the first csm to contact me at the start of the term to chat with me, reach out and get to know me. I was highly impressed, he invested time, and shared. Sion can be critical and direct which is refreshing and he s not afraid to tell poeple stuff in their face, internally and towards ccp. If anyone stands uo there its him. Just like mynna i never seen him as a goon. A decicated eve player and solid csm, he would be on my vote list, and i am looking forward to spend time with him in thr winetr summit
Elizabet Forgrave
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#23 - 2014-12-11 11:50:36 UTC
+1
Neo Kathura
Doomheim
#24 - 2014-12-12 10:17:36 UTC
Hurrah for Sion!
Alekseyev Karrde
Noir.
The Network.
#25 - 2014-12-16 17:44:04 UTC
Continuing the tradition of strong Goon candidates. He doesn't need my vote but I'll put him on my ballot anyway XD

Alek the Kidnapper, Hero of the CSM

Xenuria
#26 - 2014-12-16 20:01:53 UTC
Alekseyev Karrde wrote:
Continuing the strong tradition of Goon candidates. He doesn't need my vote but I'll put him on my ballot anyway XD

I fixed that for you.
Caleb Seremshur
Naked Oiled Bodybuilders
Parasitic Legion.
#27 - 2014-12-22 10:04:57 UTC
Sion Kumitomo wrote:

When I started my term last year, I had certain expectations of how the CSM worked and what it meant. For a hardened space politician, I was unfortunately naïve. That naïveté is gone. After hearing the CSM called a “PR tool” by one of CCP’s public relations people, I know where the CSM stands. After many of the disparaging comments made to me directly, I know where I stand. The new release cycle makes it harder than ever for the CSM to have input and be heard. The institution requires strong, professional voices from people with the confidence to, if necessary, fight. Because that’s what it takes, not sycophantic CCP apologists, not rabid anti-CCP detractors. It’s a tough balance to strike, and the people you vote in dictate the effectiveness of the institution itself. Vote wisely.

I’m a straight shooter. You might not always like what I say. CCP certainly doesn’t. But you’ll always know what I think, and why.


I'm curious to know why noone has addressed this yet.

I read the CSM minutes every time they're released. I read them several times over. Specific people saying specific things gets lost in the details but what I've quoted above directly violates/contradicts the publicly disclosed stance of CCP (through the minutes) and while it's not a surprise I think it's worth more than just a footnote in your campaign.

You're a volunteer peer reviewer, pretty much, from what I'm able to gather. To publicly state the things you have above is.. pretty damning really (of CCP). You're running for CSM 10, but I haven't seen Mynnnas declaration yet. Any other goon candidates this year? To be honest I haven't checked I'm mostly interested in recurring terms like yours.

I appreciate that you've avoided using lofty rhetoric for the most part. Your honesty about CCPs position on their own institution is also appreciated. I just wonder why you're doing it, again I mean. It's pretty clear the CSM is being progressively marginalised and that last year especially was a pretty clear indicator of that. And then the sudden resignations of 2 CSM members this year as well.

I would run for CSM too but not for the same reasons you do, I think.
Solaris Vex
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2014-12-24 01:59:17 UTC
Sion Kumitomo wrote:
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie wrote:
Sion Kumitomo, I'd like to pose the same question to you that I posed to Corbexx. You were in the meeting where CCP proposed the removal of high sec awoxing, and barely spoke other than to suggest that suicide ganking is a decent replacement for it. Is this actually your opinion, and could you elaborate on whether you support this change?


I was the one who proposed the removal of "highsec awoxing," not CCP.

Boo, awoxing was a unique eve tradition, that often lead to hilarious losses and memorable stories.
Caleb Seremshur
Naked Oiled Bodybuilders
Parasitic Legion.
#29 - 2014-12-24 02:08:02 UTC
Solaris Vex wrote:
Sion Kumitomo wrote:
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie wrote:
Sion Kumitomo, I'd like to pose the same question to you that I posed to Corbexx. You were in the meeting where CCP proposed the removal of high sec awoxing, and barely spoke other than to suggest that suicide ganking is a decent replacement for it. Is this actually your opinion, and could you elaborate on whether you support this change?


I was the one who proposed the removal of "highsec awoxing," not CCP.

Boo, awoxing was a unique eve tradition, that often lead to hilarious losses and memorable stories.


As far as I ever saw, the major point of contention was killing another player in highsec without CONCORD retribution, without being in a wardec. So now at least one hole has been plugged. You want to kill another player in highsec without prior aggression? You lose your ship, highsec working as intended.
Solaris Vex
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2014-12-24 04:58:57 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Solaris Vex wrote:
Sion Kumitomo wrote:
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie wrote:
Sion Kumitomo, I'd like to pose the same question to you that I posed to Corbexx. You were in the meeting where CCP proposed the removal of high sec awoxing, and barely spoke other than to suggest that suicide ganking is a decent replacement for it. Is this actually your opinion, and could you elaborate on whether you support this change?


I was the one who proposed the removal of "highsec awoxing," not CCP.

Boo, awoxing was a unique eve tradition, that often lead to hilarious losses and memorable stories.


As far as I ever saw, the major point of contention was killing another player in highsec without CONCORD retribution, without being in a wardec. So now at least one hole has been plugged. You want to kill another player in highsec without prior aggression? You lose your ship, highsec working as intended.

Wardecs are easy to avoid and suicide ganking requires a gang but little individual skill, the kick queue just allows lazy carebears to eliminate a problem without skill or effort.
Sion Kumitomo
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2014-12-24 15:16:45 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
I'm curious to know why noone has addressed this yet.

I read the CSM minutes every time they're released. I read them several times over. Specific people saying specific things gets lost in the details but what I've quoted above directly violates/contradicts the publicly disclosed stance of CCP (through the minutes) and while it's not a surprise I think it's worth more than just a footnote in your campaign.

You're a volunteer peer reviewer, pretty much, from what I'm able to gather. To publicly state the things you have above is.. pretty damning really (of CCP). You're running for CSM 10, but I haven't seen Mynnnas declaration yet. Any other goon candidates this year? To be honest I haven't checked I'm mostly interested in recurring terms like yours.

I appreciate that you've avoided using lofty rhetoric for the most part. Your honesty about CCPs position on their own institution is also appreciated. I just wonder why you're doing it, again I mean. It's pretty clear the CSM is being progressively marginalised and that last year especially was a pretty clear indicator of that. And then the sudden resignations of 2 CSM members this year as well.

I would run for CSM too but not for the same reasons you do, I think.


What the CSM "is" is difficult to define. The CSM isn't really a peer review process though. We're not peers and we rarely see things in time to review them in any meaningful capacity. Mynnna is not running this year, in his place Endie is running.

The reason I'm honest both in public and in private about CSM matters is because I remember how the CSM came to be. The CSM exists not as a junior game developer consultancy, but as a means by which players can make sure we have a voice in legislating the rules of the game. According to one CCP employee, the CSM is a "PR tool." But that's a sword that cuts both ways as history has shown, and savvy CSM members recognize this. The reality is that CCP is in general in frequent contact with the playerbase, and they seek out and listen to many individuals and experts who don't have a CSM tag. On a superficial level, this makes the CSM redundant if the only purpose of the institution is to talk to CCP as player representatives. On the balance, this is a good thing. Though—since individual players aren't under NDA—it does sometimes result in some pretty hilarious NDA "breaches" for which the CSM sometimes gets wrongly blamed.

As the other members of CSM 9 and CCP would no doubt tell you, I've been a firm—some might say belligerent—advocate for the CSM as an institution. I've consistently went to the mats with CCP on being cut out of processes, our rights to engage as players, and the increasing marginalization of the institution. As for why, it's because I'm convinced that the CSM, when used properly and populated by capable members, is a huge asset to the community and the game as a whole. But regardless of what CCP does with the CSM, the ultimate responsibility is on us as players to make the CSM effective. And the reality is that we're not there yet.

On twitter @siggonK

Sion Kumitomo
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2014-12-24 15:19:16 UTC
Solaris Vex wrote:
[quote=Sion Kumitomo]Boo, awoxing was a unique eve tradition, that often lead to hilarious losses and memorable stories.


A tradition that you will continue to be able to enjoy where it was originally developed and traditionally practiced—nullsec.

On twitter @siggonK

Leyla Celeste
Doomheim
#33 - 2014-12-26 03:23:53 UTC
Sion's a good man, you should definitely have him on your list.
Crasniya
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2015-01-05 18:03:44 UTC
Sion, you'll get a spot on my ballot. o7

Soraya Xel - Council of Planetary Management 1 - [email protected]

Schwa Nuts
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2015-01-07 14:05:28 UTC
Sion is a brilliant and dedicated advocate for the Eve players, a rational and thoughtful space diplomat/politician, and a generally good human being. And if I dare say so, someone I consider a friend. His addition to CSM9 was fantastic for us as regular Eve players, and he'll be a tremendous asset to CSM 10.
mynnna
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#36 - 2015-01-07 20:51:06 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
You're running for CSM 10, but I haven't seen Mynnnas declaration yet. Any other goon candidates this year?

As Sion noted, Endie is running in my place this year. I burned out pretty hard, largely courtesy of real life.

Member of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal

Seraph IX Basarab
Deplorables.
Sedition.
#37 - 2015-01-09 05:01:03 UTC
So what can you tell us about Kimsemus? Intriguing minds ponder.
Sion Kumitomo
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2015-01-09 20:01:19 UTC
Seraph IX Basarab wrote:
So what can you tell us about Kimsemus? Intriguing minds ponder.


I believe he's moved on to other MMO's, but I couldn't say for sure.

On twitter @siggonK

Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#39 - 2015-01-09 22:04:02 UTC
What is your opinion as a Goonswarm's CSM representative about Walking in Stations ?

Should it be iterated on:

  • to provide an immersive and superior New Player Experience
  • to attract female players because of the immersion or emotional attachment to a character
  • to ascend eve beyond the niche willing to suffer through its vertical learning curve

source: http://www.themittani.com/content/soss-67-incarna-postmortem-6

Eve online is :

A) mining simulator B) glorified chatroom C) spreadsheets online

D) CCP Games Pay to Win at skill leveling, with instant gratification

http://eve-radio.com//images/photos/3419/223/34afa0d7998f0a9a86f737d6.jpg

http://bit.ly/1egr4mF

Sion Kumitomo
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2015-01-10 06:24:01 UTC
Freelancer117 wrote:
What is your opinion as a Goonswarm's CSM representative about Walking in Stations ?

Should it be iterated on:

  • to provide an immersive and superior New Player Experience
  • to attract female players because of the immersion or emotional attachment to a character
  • to ascend eve beyond the niche willing to suffer through its vertical learning curve

source: http://www.themittani.com/content/soss-67-incarna-postmortem-6



Broadly speaking, I'm in favor of the idea of walking in stations—provided there is compelling gameplay associated. I'd also quite like to see Dust boarding parties on titans, landing parties on sov infrastructure, and corridor firefights through outposts. Anything that makes New Eden a more immersive virtual world is a good goal. However, that must be balanced with the core of the game, which is the flying in space aspect that has propelled EVE along as long as it has. Dev time is zero sum, and I'm not convinced that FiS is at a point where it can be ignored long enough to properly implement WiS or that the resources are there to handle building both concurrently.

I do, however, exception to your points.

  • You'll have to convince me that WiS provides a superior NPE when compared with other potential NPE options that incorporate FiS. That premise is not a given.
  • It offends my sensibilities that you appear to think females can only be attracted by first person avatars. Grow up.
  • I have seen no evidence that WiS will flatten the FiS learning curve.

The argument for WiS is there, certainly. I think you're doing yourself and all who share your goal of seeing a WiS reality a disservice by framing it in this manner though.

On twitter @siggonK