These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Outfitting a Merlin for Sisters of EVE

Author
Chandra Yadva
Critical Mass Inc
#1 - 2014-12-20 22:01:21 UTC
So... I am a seriously new player and I need someone to guide me through outfitting a Merlin to run the Sisters of EVE missions.
I see that there are two ways to go with Hybrid turrets, either the ion/neutron/electron weapons that are real short range... or the railguns that are longer range but apparently slower to track their targets.

Which way should I go and what should I do as far as shield tanking? Can someone give me an outfitting and explain it for me? My SPs are really low as I have just been in the game for about a week and half the time I have been training various mining skills... I have about 25 million ISK that I've mined to buy the stuff I need...

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

-- Chandra Yadva
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#2 - 2014-12-20 23:35:54 UTC
Assuming T1 frigs for level 1 missions, I'd probably just go with a sniping fit for popping rats fast. Something like this would probably be suitable, though something with an optimal bonus would be better. I think maybe Cormorant or something. Anyway, this fit isn't really "new player friendly" as it takes a little skilling to get the T2 guns, which this fit relies on for the long range ammo.

[Merlin, Merlin]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Overdrive Injector System II

1MN Afterburner II
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Sensor Booster II, Scan Resolution Script

150mm Railgun II, Spike S
150mm Railgun II, Spike S
150mm Railgun II, Spike S

Small Hybrid Locus Coordinator I
Small Hybrid Locus Coordinator I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I

Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#3 - 2014-12-21 02:30:10 UTC
Chandra Yadva wrote:
So... I am a seriously new player and I need someone to guide me through outfitting a Merlin to run the Sisters of EVE missions.
I see that there are two ways to go with Hybrid turrets, either the ion/neutron/electron weapons that are real short range... or the railguns that are longer range but apparently slower to track their targets.

Which way should I go and what should I do as far as shield tanking? Can someone give me an outfitting and explain it for me? My SPs are really low as I have just been in the game for about a week and half the time I have been training various mining skills... I have about 25 million ISK that I've mined to buy the stuff I need...

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

-- Chandra Yadva



Generally for PVE you want to go long range. It helps you to do damage without having to fly back and forth to get into your weapon range, so actually you complete mission faster because in the increased dps from short ranger weapons does not make up for the time lost having to fly around. Also because, generally, NPC hurt more if they get closer so being able to keep them at range tends to lower incoming damage.

Here's a fitting idea that any newbie with cpu/pg skills at lvl 4 can use. Just adapt the resists based on the mission. Alternatively you can also use a destroyer, the Cormorant in your case which you got for free from the adv military tutorials.


[Merlin, Newbie]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer I
Magnetic Field Stabilizer I
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I

Experimental 1MN Afterburner I
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Upgraded Thermic Dissipation Amplifier I
Upgraded Kinetic Deflection Amplifier I

150mm Carbide Railgun I, Antimatter Charge S
150mm Carbide Railgun I, Antimatter Charge S
150mm Carbide Railgun I, Antimatter Charge S

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Core Defense Field Purger I
Small Core Defense Field Purger I




Chandra Yadva
Critical Mass Inc
#4 - 2014-12-21 15:49:04 UTC
Gregor Parud wrote:
Chandra Yadva wrote:
So... I am a seriously new player and I need someone to guide me through outfitting a Merlin to run the Sisters of EVE missions.
I see that there are two ways to go with Hybrid turrets, either the ion/neutron/electron weapons that are real short range... or the railguns that are longer range but apparently slower to track their targets.

Which way should I go and what should I do as far as shield tanking? Can someone give me an outfitting and explain it for me? My SPs are really low as I have just been in the game for about a week and half the time I have been training various mining skills... I have about 25 million ISK that I've mined to buy the stuff I need...

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

-- Chandra Yadva



Generally for PVE you want to go long range. It helps you to do damage without having to fly back and forth to get into your weapon range, so actually you complete mission faster because in the increased dps from short ranger weapons does not make up for the time lost having to fly around. Also because, generally, NPC hurt more if they get closer so being able to keep them at range tends to lower incoming damage.

Here's a fitting idea that any newbie with cpu/pg skills at lvl 4 can use. Just adapt the resists based on the mission. Alternatively you can also use a destroyer, the Cormorant in your case which you got for free from the adv military tutorials.


[Merlin, Newbie]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer I
Magnetic Field Stabilizer I
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I

Experimental 1MN Afterburner I
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Upgraded Thermic Dissipation Amplifier I
Upgraded Kinetic Deflection Amplifier I

150mm Carbide Railgun I, Antimatter Charge S
150mm Carbide Railgun I, Antimatter Charge S
150mm Carbide Railgun I, Antimatter Charge S

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Core Defense Field Purger I
Small Core Defense Field Purger I



I am going to work with this build right now and build up to others.... I do not yet have the CPU/PG skills at level 4, so to get most of it to run until tomorrow evening I had to substitute one of the Magnetic Field Stabilizer I's for a second Micro Auxiliary Power Core I's. I am hoping the loss of attack speed will not be too bad today, but I am probably still going to be on the lower end of the missions I plan to run with this ship... so we shall see.

Thanks for the input you guys, I am learning and that is what I came here for. :D

-- Chandra Yadva
Termy Rockling
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2014-12-22 05:25:34 UTC
If you lacking fitting skills, dropping to 125mm rails wont really hurt you, fitting ships for t1 missions and the sisters arc is very easy, though there are couple missions which you just cannot solo as new player in t1 frigate. You will also face enemies which shoot you with lasers etc (EM damage) so remember that while fitting your ships resistances.
For last fights you need atleast destroyer, maybe even cruiser if you arent familiar with the game or get help.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#6 - 2014-12-22 18:00:07 UTC
as a side note, i found it most pleasant to run the arc in a light missile ship with high warp speed. warp into mission, turn on fofs and go back to watching scrubs season 1. it doesn't get more comfortable.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Yzen Danek
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-12-22 19:47:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Yzen Danek
He's not going to be able to beat Dagan with railguns; has to be a blaster fit if it has to be a Merlin.

The only mission in the arc where fit even matters and you're giving him fits that won't be able to do it.
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#8 - 2014-12-22 23:18:58 UTC
Yzen Danek wrote:
He's not going to be able to beat Dagan with railguns; has to be a blaster fit if it has to be a Merlin.

The only mission in the arc where fit even matters and you're giving him fits that won't be able to do it.


He's not going to kill him with blasters either, not on low SP, hence my remark about the destroyer. That said; It's perfectly normal for newbies to need help with Dagan anyway so it doesn't really change anything.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#9 - 2014-12-22 23:37:34 UTC
a destroyer does very well for the SoE arc, and is what I would recommend. You can fit it very similarly to the merlin above, but with more guns. and get some blasters for the last few missions.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

kurage87
EVE University
Ivy League
#10 - 2014-12-23 00:03:57 UTC
If I were a Caldari newbro doing SoE arc without a bankrolling bittervet buddy, I'd use this:

[Cormorant, Unnamed loadout]
Damage Control I
Magnetic Field Stabilizer I

1MN Afterburner I
Medium Azeotropic Ward Salubrity I
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
[empty high slot]

Costs about 3m ISK, 2m if you have a free Cormorant (which you should).
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2014-12-24 02:48:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Hasikan Miallok
Yzen Danek wrote:
He's not going to be able to beat Dagan with railguns; has to be a blaster fit if it has to be a Merlin.

The only mission in the arc where fit even matters and you're giving him fits that won't be able to do it.


Not entirely true. Correct fit and tactics is also critical in "Burning Down the Hive" or you will find yourself webbed and disrupted and sitting there waiting to explode.

The rest of the arc (aside from one other mission, the one near the end of the arc where the guy neuts you) could probably be run in the free newbie frigate.

As for Dagan 150 DPS seems the magic number to break his tank.
Chandra Yadva
Critical Mass Inc
#12 - 2014-12-25 06:01:46 UTC
kurage87 wrote:
If I were a Caldari newbro doing SoE arc without a bankrolling bittervet buddy, I'd use this:

[Cormorant, Unnamed loadout]
Damage Control I
Magnetic Field Stabilizer I

1MN Afterburner I
Medium Azeotropic Ward Salubrity I
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
125mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Antimatter Charge S
[empty high slot]

Costs about 3m ISK, 2m if you have a free Cormorant (which you should).


I do have a Cormorant in storage... I will outfit it like that and switch over to it for the rest of the missions. I am currently on the 31st mission, "Goading the Leader" in Chapter 6. I made it through "Burning Down the Hive" by destroying some drones, withdrawing to let my shields recharge, and then going in to destroy a few more... repeat.

You think that the ship above should take me safely though the final 40% of this Epic Arc?

-- Chandra Yadva
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#13 - 2014-12-25 08:15:02 UTC
Chandra Yadva wrote:
I do have a Cormorant in storage... I will outfit it like that and switch over to it for the rest of the missions. I am currently on the 31st mission, "Goading the Leader" in Chapter 6. I made it through "Burning Down the Hive" by destroying some drones, withdrawing to let my shields recharge, and then going in to destroy a few more... repeat.

You think that the ship above should take me safely though the final 40% of this Epic Arc?

-- Chandra Yadva


I did it with a similar fit, although of a different race. I'd just bring some blasters for the last few missions where you pretty much 1v1 bigger ships.

destroyers are awesome for lv1 missions, just look at the npc frigs and they explode Twisted

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Chandra Yadva
Critical Mass Inc
#14 - 2014-12-25 19:16:55 UTC
I started running missions in the Cormorant and it is like magic... *pop* *pop* *pop* the pirates are gone... :D
Chandra Yadva
Critical Mass Inc
#15 - 2014-12-26 00:38:53 UTC
Mission 46 - Chasing Shadows... I am against a Battle Cruiser and I just can't kill it. I end up running out of armor and start taking core damage before I can get away. I read that I need to be doing EM damage with EM resists... I do not know yet what to equip for that, but I am going to figure it out and see if that will help. This is a serious *****.
kurage87
EVE University
Ivy League
#16 - 2014-12-26 02:29:29 UTC
That's the nos dude I think, who is short range, so just change ammo to something longer range. Uranium or Iridium probably I can't really remember, Christmas drunk.

Just stay longer than like 12k away and you're golden. Should be able to maintain with just the afterburner that you have. If you can't, try switching the Damage Control for a Nanofibre.
Chandra Yadva
Critical Mass Inc
#17 - 2014-12-26 04:35:58 UTC
I went ahead and recruited 3 other ships, a destroyer and two frigates, and the four of us were able to blow the battlecruiser up in nothing flat... onward and upward!
Niobe Song
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2014-12-26 11:07:35 UTC
Chandra Yadva wrote:
I went ahead and recruited 3 other ships, a destroyer and two frigates, and the four of us were able to blow the battlecruiser up in nothing flat... onward and upward!




Best way to do it for a new character.

I always tell people the best way to do the SOE arc is in a frigate because you spend so much time warping between systems it is painful to fly a bigger, slower ship. If you are not skilled enough to take down the last few missions just get help from others that are having issues or switch to a cruiser near that station if you have the skills for it.
Doctor Knuckles
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2014-12-27 00:44:31 UTC
Gregor Parud wrote:
Yzen Danek wrote:
He's not going to be able to beat Dagan with railguns; has to be a blaster fit if it has to be a Merlin.

The only mission in the arc where fit even matters and you're giving him fits that won't be able to do it.


He's not going to kill him with blasters either, not on low SP, hence my remark about the destroyer. That said; It's perfectly normal for newbies to need help with Dagan anyway so it doesn't really change anything.



yes he can, i killed dagan with a meta fit comet no problem
Nalelmir Ahashion
Industrial Management and Engineering
Mouth Trumpet Cavalry
#20 - 2014-12-27 01:18:07 UTC
you really want a destroyer for the epic arc.
12Next page