These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Painting fitted ships.....

Author
Emmerik
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-12-20 01:21:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Emmerik
These new ships skins/painting is nice.
But for ships like a Dreadnaught it whould be nice to be able to paint it fitted.
I am sure there has been a topic about it before, but I am to lazy to search for it!
But make us able to paint ships, regardless of it being fitted or not. (because riggs are expensive, being t2)
Kharnakh
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2014-12-20 03:33:28 UTC
All they would have to do would be to make the ship skins a rig type module with its own slot that all ships have.

That way you could put them on rigged ships. Also it would mean the skins could have their market entries lumped together in their own section rather than cluttering up the ship section with multiple types of the same ship.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2014-12-20 04:35:30 UTC
Kharnakh wrote:
All they would have to do would be to make the ship skins a rig type module with its own slot that all ships have.

That way you could put them on rigged ships. Also it would mean the skins could have their market entries lumped together in their own section rather than cluttering up the ship section with multiple types of the same ship.


I assure you there are very good reasons why it is implemented the way it currently is at the current time. What you propose is neither simple nor currently feasible considering the entire ship painting system is being rebuilt from the groups up into something far better than your proposition.
Kharnakh
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#4 - 2014-12-20 04:39:24 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
I assure you there are very good reasons why it is implemented the way it currently is at the current time. What you propose is neither simple nor currently feasible considering the entire ship painting system is being rebuilt from the groups up into something far better than your proposition.


Are there? What are these good reasons?

And what is it being rebuilt into? The actual ship painting feature they rolled out at fanfest? Surely thats something separate from microtransaction ship skins?
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2014-12-20 05:04:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Anhenka
Kharnakh wrote:
Anhenka wrote:
I assure you there are very good reasons why it is implemented the way it currently is at the current time. What you propose is neither simple nor currently feasible considering the entire ship painting system is being rebuilt from the groups up into something far better than your proposition.


Are there? What are these good reasons?

And what is it being rebuilt into? The actual ship painting feature they rolled out at fanfest? Surely thats something separate from microtransaction ship skins?



TLDR: Database identity issues.

A raven is not the same as a painted raven to the database. Even if you implemented a paint slot, it wouldn't be a magical "insert paint item, raven now has skin" process, it would be "insert paint item, ship is transformed (even DB side) into painted version" Note this also means there needs to be a way for a fully fitted ship to effectively transfer from one type of a ship to another with all mods and rigs fitted without creating problems. Not something I know of currently implemented.

Which means that you still have both painted versions and normal version, and both need to be represented in the contract system, as you would still need the paint version for contracting painted ships.

While they are working on a more easily used and less DB intensive version for future release, it's not here yet, and temp adding in halfassed modifications that take time and effort away from actually finishing the rework is a poor idea.

So while only begin able to reskin packaged ships in annoying, it's not something that should be dealt with before they roll out the full paint release.