These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Everyone is too obsessed with their killboard stats!

First post First post
Author
Justin Zaine
#141 - 2014-12-15 05:56:44 UTC
Agree with a lot of what is said here: For one reason or another, people are wayyyy too risk averse in this game.

Having said that, I think that there's a big, thick line between being risk averse and scared of losing ships, and knowing how to pick your fights.

For example: The other day a few WT's undocked in a Diemos, Enyo and a Thrasher and trash talked my buddy and I for not aggressing in our Incursus and Rifter.

Do I care about losing an Incursus? Hell no. But neither do I make a point of mindlessly whelping ships when the cards are stacked against me.

He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.

He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared.

Basil Pupkin
Strategic Incompetence
#142 - 2014-12-15 07:45:07 UTC
Why don't we just remove everyone who's not a leet peeveepeer from killboards?

It's a win-win. They get to go at each other and can freely shame "you are on KB and dodge a fight booo", and KB gets a meaning by showing their leet peeveepee skills and no padding on the rest of us (who see combat as what it really is - pointless comparison of SP between characters, leading to nothing but losses).

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#143 - 2014-12-15 08:14:00 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
who see combat as what it really is - pointless comparison of SP between characters
LMAO

Let's just put everyone on eveboard, then instead of spaceship PVP we can have massive meetings with thousands of people on teamspeak discussing their character stats.

/sarcasm

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Inxentas Ultramar
Orde van Oranje Nassau
The Watchmen.
#144 - 2014-12-15 10:17:16 UTC
In my experience there are two types of PVP gamers: those that want to statisticly shine, and those that wish to see objectives met. I count myself part of the latter, and when others run away because they are to scared to take one for the team, my team wins. While it may be frustrating to some, it does add an element of deterrence to gameplay which does suit me on a strategic level. To scared to look like a fool? More chances for this fool to actually win! Lol
CCP Falcon
#145 - 2014-12-15 10:40:43 UTC
I used to be pretty obsessed with killboard stats back in the day, then more people started to play, solo roaming battleships we're viable any more, and this started to happen a lot:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/RH48ppF.gif[/img]

So I just thought "Screw it" and started having fun... Lol

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Bentakhar
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#146 - 2014-12-15 11:28:11 UTC
Lol that GIF!

Killboards are a nice feature but some corps really care too much about em. Gotta find the right corp ;)
Decaneos
Casalt Corp
CAStabouts
#147 - 2014-12-15 13:55:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Decaneos
I have seen this so many times in Null sec, were gangs that outnumber and out gun us RUN! why cause they know we don't give a damn about loss's and if we think we can get a decent fight and take out one or 2 of there shiny ships we will even if it means the death of the whole fleet.

Killboards are the reason we see such risk adverse fleets such as 4 logi with carrier support and then wonder why no one will engage them or they get blobed. I think the worst fleet i saw was 4 guardians, 1 BB 1 Falcon a boosting astarte and 2 t1 cruisers...... i mean really?

Even goons are massively risk adverse, after killing my geddon(mistake on my part) , they RAN from a t1 5 man cruiser gang despite massively outnumbering us and each of there battlecruisers having fighter support..... and cause they ran they lost some ships that got caught and ended up actually having worse kill stats than if they had stayed and killed shiz.

So when people say Syndicate is dead.... take a look at what your flying and ask yourself would you fight that?.

Ofc thats not to say that all groups are like this and hats off to Flumz for bringing something so shiny to null!
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#148 - 2014-12-15 14:05:35 UTC
Maybe we need more high score lists than less ... best miner, best mission runner, best explorer, best trader, best logi pilot(!), ... for best logi the game could count how many ships been repaired are still alive 15 min later. Instead of Killmails you get Savemails for activating a repper on a target and Lossmails for failure to rep (target died within 15min) ...the longer I think about it, the more sense it makes ...

I'm my own NPC alt.

flaming phantom
Unqualified Chaos
Warped Intentions
#149 - 2014-12-15 14:56:22 UTC
I do like to look at my killboard, even though it isn't stellar. But I do agree that KBs kind of ruin the game.

We had an incident where someone lost a marauder to pirates. Then he lost another one, and holy **** was the alliance in an uproar about that. Most of the time it's not a deal, but the absolute animosity he received changed my personal opinion about a couple select people.

It's a game, and too many people do stress over being green on the KB. I just enjoy flying, dying, and shooting things occasionally.
Sven Viko VIkolander
Allemannsrett
#150 - 2014-12-15 15:16:32 UTC
This thread is pointless. If you went to EVE Vegas or watched the stream, you would know that this group called Soul Takers already won killboards online, no point trying to compete with the best.
Signal11th
#151 - 2014-12-15 15:16:40 UTC
Nope not everyone does, Haven't looked at mine for over a year. Couldn't care less to be honest.

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

Varathius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#152 - 2014-12-15 19:59:52 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:
So, I was roaming in lowsec again with my favorite fed navy comet. I saw another fed navy in the novice, so I pursued him in. As I was landing, he warped away. I asked him why he did it and he told me he's too scared. He lost his comet about 30 minutes later to a kiting tristan.

This happens a LOT to me in lowsec. Last night, 2 comets bailed. About 2 weeks ago, I was sitting in a novice with a republic fleet firetail and another firetail appeared on dscan, he was sitting in front of the novice for about a minute and then he warped.

I asked him in local why he did it, and he told me he's worried about losing his ship.

In my opinion, the public killboard is CANCER. It kinda reminds me of call of duty and kills/losses ratio.

With eve, it's the same thing. People are too scared to take risks because of the possible loss. I'm pretty sure if there weren't any public killboard sites, there would be much more pvp in eve.

I have a little nasty daredevil with a faction web sitting in a lowsec station, but my corp/alliace wouldn't be happy if I lost it. I have a vindicator I'm eager to use in solo pvp, but my corp members would kill me if I caused 2 billion loss on KB. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

I just wish there weren't no public killboards.

Combat log stats in eve should definitely stay, and imo one should be on the kill it even if he doesn't cause the final blow. You ***** on a killmail, it should appear in the combat log. That way, if there weren't public killboards, you'd still see and could link what you've lost/killed.

This is probably not going to happen, but it would be awesome if it did!


And it wouldn't be a problem for corp recruiters, either. They could just see all your kills/losses in your API.


Killboards in eve are generally a joke. Sure, people are putting some hard work that we actually have one, but they are flawed. The only good thing about the killboard (what I use it for), is to see potential fits the enemy might have. I do this however because I like to solo a lot. I don't care about kills, losses being on my killboard.
Frostys Virpio
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#153 - 2014-12-15 20:30:53 UTC
Killboard were trash since day 1 because they are easy to game and don't tell the whole story. They also encourage not doing your job correctly because you want to be on more kills so you split dps and other similar stupid behavior.
Aurelius Valentius
Valentius Corporation
#154 - 2014-12-15 20:38:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Aurelius Valentius
I am 5 years in and still don't have a KB... so I vote NO on obsession over KBs.

and I vote yes for coffee on the side, even though that wasn't mentioned, just because I would like some right now and it's on my mind; unlike killboards.
Frostys Virpio
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#155 - 2014-12-15 20:45:00 UTC
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen wrote:
You can't have killmails without loss mails, and people will never give up their killmails.

A beautiful killmail is like meeting Jessica Alba in a bar, nailing her, then having a photo of her curled up under your arm in bed.

Now imagine your Facebook page, covered in said photos, including Taylor Swift (and that fail-fit 300lb fatty you took down)...

Why, you would be a GOD amongst men, surely.

F


Or just good a showing up in large bloc fight and whoring...
Celise Katelo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#156 - 2014-12-15 23:44:58 UTC
I once had a duel in my Pod outside Jita station, was testing out my new Jump clones P

My Ferox... well this got gate camped. If you want advice on fittings for Ferox fail, then copy the fitting, i equiped it with stuff in the local station that i got it from, perhaps not a wise choice, since the selection of good was limited to next to nothing. Roll

The other deaths... well /facepalm fittings once again... I was only using stuff that i had collected from ship wrecks, this kinda doesn't work in EVE online. Then i found Jita station for buying stuff to fit my ships P

My Pixie dust adventure into the world of pvp. Then i wanted to became a Pirate lost at sea, i vanished into the abyss Pirate My adventures of TinkerBell and The Lost Treasure Roll .. I found a Gila all for me.

True story, no subtitles...

EVEBoard ...Just over 60million skill points, each skill was chosen for a reason. I closed my eyes & clicked another skill to train... "BINGO...!!!" ... "This time i got something usefull"

Serene Repose
#157 - 2014-12-16 01:59:22 UTC
What did you say? I was busy...obsessing over my killboard stats.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
Pandemic Horde
#158 - 2014-12-16 04:52:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Seven Koskanaiken
Gallowmere Rorschach wrote:
So, am I to understand that ~elitepvp~ is 95% running away?

That can't be right...


No it's repeatedly making alts on your free slots and killing them. Also 1 shot whoring on the pos with 100 mods, ykno no ones gonna check page 17 of zkill and find them right.......
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#159 - 2014-12-16 06:36:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Barrogh Habalu
Killboards have little to do with the fact that people aren't particularly willing to spend time fiddling with marketing ships and fits, transporting them to convenient places, grinding back ISK they spend on that, all instead of just warping off and look for another target. That at least involves flying your ship in some less-dull-than-usual way instead of dealing with grinding/market/fitting/logistical crap associated with ship losses.

WTB better shopping lists than what we have in market window, with the ability to import stuff into it from saved fitting lists.
Cymru2000
A Blessed Bean
Pandemic Horde
#160 - 2014-12-16 06:52:53 UTC
Barrogh Habalu wrote:
WTB better shopping lists than what we have in market window, with the ability to import stuff into it from saved fitting lists.


You mean like dragging a fit from saved fittings into the market quickbar? Because, you know, you can totally do that.