These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Update regarding Multiboxing and input automation

First post First post First post
Author
RoAnnon
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#561 - 2014-11-25 19:35:13 UTC
Mr Omniblivion wrote:
This is ironic but the logical change next to be made is to nerf afk cloaking.

Sure, that's logical, since an AFK cloaked pilot has absolutely no way to interact with the game at all... perfect sense there... Roll

So, you're a bounty hunter. No, that ain't it at all. Then what are you? I'm a bounty hunter.

Broadcast4Reps

Eve Vegas 2015 Pub Crawl Group 9

Houston EVE Meet

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#562 - 2014-11-25 19:35:26 UTC
Mr Omniblivion wrote:
This is ironic but the logical change next to be made is to nerf afk cloaking.




But how will CCP fix people's runaway imaginations?

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

virm pasuul
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#563 - 2014-11-25 19:35:35 UTC
If all the bot accounts stopped playing all at the same time, would anyone notice?
If only the bot players are sad, and they aren't even playing Eve, then who is left to be sad for them?
Maybe someone could write a bot to be sad for the other bots?
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#564 - 2014-11-25 19:35:50 UTC
isBoxer fleet character sales are coming out now.



There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

embrel
BamBam Inc.
#565 - 2014-11-25 19:36:04 UTC
Partricia Solette wrote:
meh i think this is a bad call by ccp people are going to unsub accounts and stuff even if they just plex there account those plexes are still payed by some1.

prices of modules and ships are going to go up and everything


You see any reason this someone would not buy a Plex now?

Re: other prices guess so too, unless the boxers created a large demand there too.
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#566 - 2014-11-25 19:36:34 UTC
Mr Omniblivion wrote:
This is ironic but the logical change next to be made is to nerf afk cloaking.



The next logical step is for CCP to implement a better way to employ multiple accounts within Eve. Not saying that would be a good thing or bad thing, just saying I could see it being a new feature down the road.

In the meanwhile, I won't be unsubscribing my six accounts. You just won't see all three of them wave like this in local:

Char1: o/
Char2: o/
Char3: o/

Alt-tabbing, along with normal fleet functions such as squad warp, works very well for mining or ratting.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#567 - 2014-11-25 19:36:44 UTC
Damn, lot of folks pitching in on this and more even as I write.

ISBoxer is not banned, what it sometimes does IS. This has the benefit of if you make a new program called ASSBoxer that does the same as ISBoxer you have not found a way around the bans. If you use chopsticks and rubberbands to duplicate you have not found a way around. It is not the tool it is the application of it that is at issue.

I think this is a good move. It may cost a few short term, losses but I think a lot of players will appreciate the chance to be on even footing or forced to be with other players to do a group activity (one of the M's in mMo)

and I know I forgot to ask earlier . . . but yeah, I am helping out the FLOOD of new players coming into the game and so if you want to hand over the assets of a multibox mining fleet I will see that they get a good home and USED by individual players.

which is what I like

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Kagehisa Shintaro
Back Door Burglars
#568 - 2014-11-25 19:37:46 UTC
Taram Caldar wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
Mierin Arthie wrote:
How does this policy update regard the usage of KVM switches to control multiple computers from one mouse/keyboard?

for those that dont know what a kvm switch is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch


That doesn't broadcast, it just changes where input goes - it should be fine.


Wrong
it broadcasts a single command to multiple systems

Still applies.

Seriously people.... reading comprehension


KVM sends signals to one computer at a time. You then tell it to switch to another computer and send the command, infact it would make multiboxing slower. KVM does NOT automate actions.


Dazamin wrote:

CCP Falcon, mind explaining why the punishments for something that has previously been allowed in game are more severe then they have ever been for actual botting? Up until this point completely automated botting had a three strike policy, why is someone playing the game using input broadcasting considered worse?

Also are you intending to devote more resources to catching people using various forms of automation? Since it is already a large problem before you add more bannable offences.


Botters have been on two-strike system for some time now.

Any company can ship. We space ship. - CCP Guard

Ginger Barbarella
#569 - 2014-11-25 19:38:30 UTC
Mr Omniblivion wrote:
This is ironic but the logical change next to be made is to nerf afk cloaking.


0/10

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Utari Onzo
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#570 - 2014-11-25 19:39:26 UTC
Daniel Jackson wrote:

no i only do it for 1 account i cant pvp with more then 1 lol u would have to be some kind of god to do any combat with more than 1


I tend to fly in pvp with 1 logi alt and 1 dps/ecm ship. I have the two clients in windowed mode, shrunk so they both fit in my monitor. It works in that I can generally use both characters pretty well, but I am a human and it has bit me in the ass more then once playing the game like this. I would link you my carrier lossmail while dualboxing triage/devoter and logging a proteus alt in, but I can't. Here's a blog post about it instead http://smug-bastard.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/neither-borrower-nor-lender-be.html

Dual/Multiboxing without broadcast fuctions is a PITA but it's still a massive force multiplier when you ahve limited 'real' pilots

"Face the enemy as a solid wall For faith is your armor And through it, the enemy will find no breach Wrap your arms around the enemy For faith is your fire And with it, burn away his evil"

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#571 - 2014-11-25 19:39:29 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
and I know I forgot to ask earlier . . . but yeah, I am helping out the FLOOD of new players coming into the game and so if you want to hand over the assets of a multibox mining fleet I will see that they get a good home and USED by individual players.


Your CSM tag does not exempt you from the fact that you know damn well that I have perma-dibs on people's stuff.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Tora Bushido
The Marmite Mercenaries
P I R A T
#572 - 2014-11-25 19:40:13 UTC
RIP Code and Miniluv gankers Blink

DELETE THE WEAK, ADAPT OR DIE !

Meta Gaming Level VII, Psycho Warfare Level X, Smack Talk Level VII.

Utari Onzo
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#573 - 2014-11-25 19:40:48 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
Damn, lot of folks pitching in on this and more even as I write.

ISBoxer is not banned, what it sometimes does IS. This has the benefit of if you make a new program called ASSBoxer that does the same as ISBoxer you have not found a way around the bans. If you use chopsticks and rubberbands to duplicate you have not found a way around. It is not the tool it is the application of it that is at issue.

I think this is a good move. It may cost a few short term, losses but I think a lot of players will appreciate the chance to be on even footing or forced to be with other players to do a group activity (one of the M's in mMo)

and I know I forgot to ask earlier . . . but yeah, I am helping out the FLOOD of new players coming into the game and so if you want to hand over the assets of a multibox mining fleet I will see that they get a good home and USED by individual players.

which is what I like

m


Can't like this post enough.

"Face the enemy as a solid wall For faith is your armor And through it, the enemy will find no breach Wrap your arms around the enemy For faith is your fire And with it, burn away his evil"

Charley Talleyrand
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#574 - 2014-11-25 19:41:16 UTC
Valterra Craven wrote:
Interesting. Given that this is a new policy and one that might be hard to communicate to players at large, are you going to go soft with people the first few months and give them written warnings before you adopt your other policy?


lol. It's a month away. Anyone stupid enough to be doing this now deserves a ban- much less leniency in 2015. They should skip the 30-day suspension and just perma ban.
Daniel Jackson
Universal Exos
#575 - 2014-11-25 19:41:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Jackson
Utari Onzo wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:

no i only do it for 1 account i cant pvp with more then 1 lol u would have to be some kind of god to do any combat with more than 1


I tend to fly in pvp with 1 logi alt and 1 dps/ecm ship. I have the two clients in windowed mode, shrunk so they both fit in my monitor. It works in that I can generally use both characters pretty well, but I am a human and it has bit me in the ass more then once playing the game like this. I would link you my carrier lossmail while dualboxing triage/devoter and logging a proteus alt in, but I can't. Here's a blog post about it instead http://smug-bastard.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/neither-borrower-nor-lender-be.html

Dual/Multiboxing without broadcast fuctions is a PITA but it's still a massive force multiplier when you ahve limited 'real' pilots

i can barly stand my own using just 1 account :P but as i said i only really use the gkeys to broadcast for reps for my main account my other account is mining or something more safe generally
knobber Jobbler
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#576 - 2014-11-25 19:41:24 UTC
Sentamon wrote:
Mr Omniblivion wrote:
This is ironic but the logical change next to be made is to nerf afk cloaking.


Yup nerf all things that threaten the rich boy club of nullsec.


High sec incursions nerf it is then.
Adrie Atticus
Circle Mercs
#577 - 2014-11-25 19:41:57 UTC
Tora Bushido wrote:
RIP Code and Miniluv gankers Blink


Ohhh, hisec elite pvp smacktalk!

This thread is going places.
Xython
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#578 - 2014-11-25 19:41:58 UTC
Taram Caldar wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
Mierin Arthie wrote:
How does this policy update regard the usage of KVM switches to control multiple computers from one mouse/keyboard?

for those that dont know what a kvm switch is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch


That doesn't broadcast, it just changes where input goes - it should be fine.


Wrong
it broadcasts a single command to multiple systems

Still applies.

Seriously people.... reading comprehension


Not even close to accurate. You can simulate a KVM by unplugging your keyboard and plugging it into a second computer.

KVMs should be just fine, if you want to set up a few dozen PCs to play EVE Online with. (Don't do this.)
Aerious
Professionals Incorporated
The Initiative.
#579 - 2014-11-25 19:42:37 UTC
Goon tears are the best tears!

"They worried we would eventually offer not just vanity items, but ones that would give the Haves an unfair advantage over the Have-Nots."

Lord Ra
Sicarius.
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#580 - 2014-11-25 19:43:45 UTC
Ive snipped out the audio file 'The Asteroid Is Depleted' with audacity and placed it on sound cloud if any ISBOXER users would like it as a message tone for your phones?.




Good Change 10/10 :)


Ra