These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev blog: Coming to EVE Online in the Rhea release on December 9th

First post First post
Author
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#201 - 2014-11-16 20:07:09 UTC
CCP Darwin wrote:
There have been a couple significant steps toward changing EVE's lighting model, including linear lighting, which is a prerequisite for PBR and came earlier in the year. PBR is the latest and probably the most dramatic.

Yes, PBR is the final step to make Amarr ships look like ivory and gold, as the design intended.

More than a few of us have been enjoying the steady release of graphics updates, so kudos to you and the rest of the team!

A lot of the snapshots of Caldari ships (including some of the Kaalakiota versions, like the Nighthawk) seem to have a lot of weathering. Was this intended or are these anomalies from specific graphics cards?

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Randy Roid
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#202 - 2014-11-16 20:46:37 UTC
CCP Darwin wrote:
Harvey James wrote:
will they be rebalanced at the same time ? and when would this be?


T3 rebalancing and work to get them into the PBR world are not coupled to each other. As for questions about ship rebalancing schedule, that's not my area and I'm not sure what's been planned or announced.

Khun Maa wrote:
The PBR, is this the lighting changes that have been talked about the last 2 years that was going to happen once everything was V3d? This lighting change was also mentioned it would help the Amarr ships get rid of the **** brown gold you guys did a while back


There have been a couple significant steps toward changing EVE's lighting model, including linear lighting, which is a prerequisite for PBR and came earlier in the year. PBR is the latest and probably the most dramatic.

Yes, PBR is the final step to make Amarr ships look like ivory and gold, as the design intended. You can see that in the PBR preview from CCP Seagull's dev blog:

A couple Amarr PBR examples


Thanks for you and Bunny answering questions here!
CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#203 - 2014-11-17 01:53:32 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
A lot of the snapshots of Caldari ships (including some of the Kaalakiota versions, like the Nighthawk) seem to have a lot of weathering. Was this intended or are these anomalies from specific graphics cards?


Please be aware that the state of ships on Sisi doesn't fully reflect what will be in the release. I can't speak to the state of specific ships because I'm not personally in the art direction loop on that, but I do know that there is a long list of visual notes being addressed prior to PBR going live.

CCP Darwin  •  Senior Software Engineer, Art & Graphics, EVE Online  •  @mark_wilkins

Suicide Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#204 - 2014-11-17 02:27:30 UTC
CCP Darwin wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
A lot of the snapshots of Caldari ships (including some of the Kaalakiota versions, like the Nighthawk) seem to have a lot of weathering. Was this intended or are these anomalies from specific graphics cards?


Please be aware that the state of ships on Sisi doesn't fully reflect what will be in the release. I can't speak to the state of specific ships because I'm not personally in the art direction loop on that, but I do know that there is a long list of visual notes being addressed prior to PBR going live.

Indeed.. Well then if it's not on their list..

The Kronos (Standard, not the Skinned ones that CCP Devs seem to want to avoid telling us when they will be made available) kinda looks like the skin is from the Lunar Lander's.. Aluminium and Gold Foil.. It's a little weird for a warship..
Emiko Rowna
Keys To The Stars
#205 - 2014-11-17 03:51:40 UTC
The answer to this will make or break this patch.

Will I be able to use WASD in my Captain's Quarters?
Suicide Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#206 - 2014-11-17 03:59:22 UTC
Emiko Rowna wrote:
The answer to this will make or break this patch.

Will I be able to use WASD in my Captain's Quarters?

... You already can..
Emiko Rowna
Keys To The Stars
#207 - 2014-11-17 04:11:35 UTC
Suicide Smith wrote:
Emiko Rowna wrote:
The answer to this will make or break this patch.

Will I be able to use WASD in my Captain's Quarters?

... You already can..



Thank you! I'll try it one day.
TheDestroyer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#208 - 2014-11-17 08:13:57 UTC
Draahk Chimera wrote:
Quote:
No clone grades and no skill point loss on pod death

Clone grades, clone upgrade cost and skill point loss when podded (except when losing a Strategic Cruiser) will be removed in Rhea.


I really hope you will reconsider this decision.

Actual losses and the constant threat of Uncle Darwin is what set EVE apart from all the other mmos out there. I would also like to point out that your logic is a bit flawed in discussing this matter. For the old bittervets it is not the microscopic cost of the clone that prevent some of them to fly interceptors in combat, it is the 2.5b ISK pirate implants. Personally I am about to hit the 92m SP mark and my clone will only cost 10m, this is peanuts you understand? I can make 10m in about 5 minutes or less.

I can understand your reasoning when it comes to new players who are unfamiliar with the system but this could be easily rectified by some sort of warning box. For the first 1 month or so of a character's life a big box appears if the character tries to undock with an insufficient clone. After that you have no one to blame but yourself if you manage to loose a few SP.




I Agree, this is a stupid change.. Whats the point in playing eve anymore, if the only risk is losing isk.
This is getting to the point of world of warcraft, where you can never lose anything off great value.. Just 'ingame cash'Ugh
Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#209 - 2014-11-17 09:33:19 UTC
TheDestroyer wrote:
Draahk Chimera wrote:
Quote:
No clone grades and no skill point loss on pod death

Clone grades, clone upgrade cost and skill point loss when podded (except when losing a Strategic Cruiser) will be removed in Rhea.


I really hope you will reconsider this decision.

Actual losses and the constant threat of Uncle Darwin is what set EVE apart from all the other mmos out there. I would also like to point out that your logic is a bit flawed in discussing this matter. For the old bittervets it is not the microscopic cost of the clone that prevent some of them to fly interceptors in combat, it is the 2.5b ISK pirate implants. Personally I am about to hit the 92m SP mark and my clone will only cost 10m, this is peanuts you understand? I can make 10m in about 5 minutes or less.

I can understand your reasoning when it comes to new players who are unfamiliar with the system but this could be easily rectified by some sort of warning box. For the first 1 month or so of a character's life a big box appears if the character tries to undock with an insufficient clone. After that you have no one to blame but yourself if you manage to loose a few SP.




I Agree, this is a stupid change.. Whats the point in playing eve anymore, if the only risk is losing isk.
This is getting to the point of world of warcraft, where you can never lose anything off great value.. Just 'ingame cash'Ugh


Zug Zug.

Yaay!!!!

ISD Rontea
ISD STAR
ISD Alliance
#210 - 2014-11-17 10:45:42 UTC
How much will cost Special Edition Dreadnoughts blueprints and pirate faction apparel in New Eden Store?
Now I know where to spend my old Aurum.

ISD Rontea

ISD STAR Executive

Волонтёр группы по взаимодействию с игроками

Interstellar Services Department

Skiltvakten
Federal Intelligence Bureau
#211 - 2014-11-17 10:46:18 UTC
After playing around on the test server and setting up the new keyboard ship controls I have to say I love the new controls and will be using my Razor Nostromo gamepad for it, The UI...not 100% sure on that one...will take some time I'm sure. Graphic updates are spot on.

Polarized Weapons....can see every Catalyst/Ganknado pilot running those XD

But overall can't wait for it :P
Masao Kurata
Perkone
Caldari State
#212 - 2014-11-17 15:51:35 UTC
Skiltvakten wrote:
Polarized Weapons....can see every Catalyst/Ganknado pilot running those XD


You do realise that A) a gank catalyst costs 10M total and polarized light neutron blasters are currently 100M each and b) for tornadoes, there currently are no polarized artillery at all implemented, in fact no long range polarized weapons at all?
Algathas
Wraithguard.
The Wraithguard.
#213 - 2014-11-17 17:48:27 UTC
"No clone grades and no skill point loss on pod death"

This change is very disappointing. Instead of removing a mechanic, come up with something worthwhile to replace it with. This is EVE, there should be a penalty for being killed.

One of the main things that attracted me to EVE initially (and still) was the very fact that you can lose your ship/gear and also can lose SP (or isk) when podded. The rush and of pvp is lost when there is no consequence to being killed.

And will this really bring more PVP? I wonder since the same people that are too averse to pay a few minutes of income to replace their clone (or learn how to avoid being podded in the first place) are the same people that are too afraid to lose their ship or implants. They won't PVP anyway.


Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#214 - 2014-11-17 18:20:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Robert Caldera
are we going to receive a final list of all trial character names being removed in some form?
Would be pretty nice.

For the clone penalty change: not a good one. There should be more consequences for gettin podded than just a quick way home.
Midnight Hope
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#215 - 2014-11-17 19:15:43 UTC
What was wrong with the Incursus???! Why did you have to "update" it??

It is one of the best models you have and you had to go and change it...and the change doesn't really improve on it in any way.

I have to admit my heart sunk when I got to that part of the dev blog.
So disappointing. Cry
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#216 - 2014-11-17 19:37:00 UTC
TheDestroyer wrote:
I Agree, this is a stupid change.. Whats the point in playing eve anymore, if the only risk is losing isk.


If you update your clone before undocking again, all you lose is ISK right now. Even if your pod had HG Snakes, that's still only ISK to replace.

The skill point loss from a substandard clone was just a busywork tax: did you remember to fill out form 27b/6 before hurriedly reshipping and running out to rejoin your fleetmates in combat? No? Here, you get to relearn Gallente Dreadnought V. Have a nice day!

Not to mention that, since clone costs scaled with skill points, there was a distinctly theme-park element to the design of that mechanic: essentially, you can only lose what you can afford to fly.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Algathas
Wraithguard.
The Wraithguard.
#217 - 2014-11-17 20:25:06 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
TheDestroyer wrote:
I Agree, this is a stupid change.. Whats the point in playing eve anymore, if the only risk is losing isk.


If you update your clone before undocking again, all you lose is ISK right now. Even if your pod had HG Snakes, that's still only ISK to replace.

The skill point loss from a substandard clone was just a busywork tax: did you remember to fill out form 27b/6 before hurriedly reshipping and running out to rejoin your fleetmates in combat? No? Here, you get to relearn Gallente Dreadnought V. Have a nice day!

Not to mention that, since clone costs scaled with skill points, there was a distinctly theme-park element to the design of that mechanic: essentially, you can only lose what you can afford to fly.


If you look at it that way, losing anything at all is a "busywork tax". Damn you died and now you have to do "busywork" to get a new ship. You have to make isk and deal with buying a new one. We should just get a new free replacement ship upon death since its all busywork anyway. /sarcasm
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#218 - 2014-11-17 21:25:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
Algathas wrote:
If you look at it that way, losing anything at all is a "busywork tax". Damn you died and now you have to do "busywork" to get a new ship. You have to make isk and deal with buying a new one. We should just get a new free replacement ship upon death since its all busywork anyway. /sarcasm


No, because the choices I have to make once I find myself back in a station are the consequence of prior planning (or lack thereof), whatever materials the market chooses to provide, whether it makes sense for me to go back in another Moa, and so on. That's complex enough to qualify as gameplay.

The clone upgrade is a busywork tax because it's an unconditional step with no incentive to do it, only a punishment for failing to do it.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Solhild
Doomheim
#219 - 2014-11-17 21:42:41 UTC
Emiko Rowna wrote:
Suicide Smith wrote:
Emiko Rowna wrote:
The answer to this will make or break this patch.

Will I be able to use WASD in my Captain's Quarters?

... You already can..



Thank you! I'll try it one day.


Excellent.
Helene Fidard
CTRL-Q
#220 - 2014-11-17 22:57:54 UTC
I really like the way all the new ship designs lately look as though they have been folded out of card.

Wait, no. The opposite of that.

Hey! I don't know about you

but I'm joining CTRL-Q