These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev Blog: Welcome to developers.testeveonline.com

First post First post
Author
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#41 - 2014-10-07 14:29:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Lors Dornick
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Just so everyone is clear (assuming I'm right) the card requirement is one from Legal, rather than from the development team. It's probably so Legal can sleep easy, knowing that there's a verified address somewhere that they can yell at, if that person starts doing something 'bad'.

I think Uncle Stevie is on the money.

Well he should be because that's why we voted for him, right? ;)

I think we can strip out that "probably" because it's down to Uncle Stevie having signed an NDA and he'd be slapped on his fingers if he didn't include that word.

In more general terms.

Yes it sucks that we will have to comply with moronic rules that doesn't apply equally around the world.

Lawyers by definition isn't very flexible (as in the juridical term, they might be gymnasts on the side).

They want a way to at least pretend, in juridical sense, that they know who the users are, and using CC data is the easiest way for SocksFour and Friends to both provide us with data, and keeping legal happy (-ish, legal is never really happy).

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Nicen Jehr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2014-10-07 15:53:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Nicen Jehr
to those who have paypal but no CC:
paypal offers a free mastercard debit card that works off your paypal balance

I've used my paypal debit card in the past. i'm not sure if i've used any other, so I can't gurantee that the paypal debit card actually works to open the dev apps. But it's free
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#43 - 2014-10-07 16:38:17 UTC
Nicen Jehr wrote:
to those who have paypal but no CC:
paypal offers a free mastercard debit card that works off your paypal balance

I've used my paypal debit card in the past. i'm not sure if i've used any other, so I can't gurantee that the paypal debit card actually works to open the dev apps. But it's free



Doesn't appear to work any more? (might be a localization thing)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Sephira Galamore
Inner Beard Society
#44 - 2014-10-07 18:35:30 UTC
There's also www.mywirecard.com which provides purely digital prepaid credit cards. You have a small fee (1,- Euro) when charging it, but otherwise its free and works great - I have used it for Google purchases before I got a physical card last year.
Trehan Crendraven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2014-10-07 21:17:58 UTC
I love you guys,

The site is awsome, and the SSO thingy... I could make babies with all of you, devs, if iceland was not so far Big smile

Have you got any idea of a date for the official realease of the SSO ? Or even a hint ? Cant wait to use this on my site...
CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#46 - 2014-10-08 09:45:09 UTC
Trehan Crendraven wrote:
I love you guys,

The site is awsome, and the SSO thingy... I could make babies with all of you, devs, if iceland was not so far Big smile

Have you got any idea of a date for the official realease of the SSO ? Or even a hint ? Cant wait to use this on my site...


No sorry. :( Sometime before HL3 I hope...

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

Makari Aeron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#47 - 2014-10-08 11:27:23 UTC
CCP FoxFour wrote:
Trehan Crendraven wrote:
I love you guys,

The site is awsome, and the SSO thingy... I could make babies with all of you, devs, if iceland was not so far Big smile

Have you got any idea of a date for the official realease of the SSO ? Or even a hint ? Cant wait to use this on my site...


No sorry. :( Sometime before HL3 I hope...


*before* HL3? HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED GUYS *runs away screaming it*

CCP RedDawn: Ugly people are just playing life on HARD mode. Personally, I'm playing on an INFERNO difficulty.

CCP Goliath: I often believe that the best way to get something done is to shout at the person trying to help you. http://goo.gl/PKGDP

Atach Hann
Jita Agile Police Department
#48 - 2014-10-10 21:03:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Atach Hann
Hello, I am a long time developer, and 1 year EVE player.

1. I want to develop an exe app or add on in C++ to eve game (e.g. something like small excel file) like Notepad or Compare tool used in Eve. There may be a website that those apps or addons are safe and can be linked by eve in add-ons page. So users may safely download and use in game.

2. Can it be possible that our apps may be added to Menu of Eve like Compare Tool ? AddOns Menu can be loaded from database, and if app is installed it can be available on the menu. When user clicks app, app window will run on the eve game screen.

3. Is there any .net example for C++ Builder XE version ?

Best Regards

Yilmaz
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#49 - 2014-10-11 14:46:08 UTC
Atach Hann wrote:
Hello, I am a long time developer, and 1 year EVE player.

1. I want to develop an exe app or add on in C++ to eve game (e.g. something like small excel file) like Notepad or Compare tool used in Eve. There may be a website that those apps or addons are safe and can be linked by eve in add-ons page. So users may safely download and use in game.

2. Can it be possible that our apps may be added to Menu of Eve like Compare Tool ? AddOns Menu can be loaded from database, and if app is installed it can be available on the menu. When user clicks app, app window will run on the eve game screen.

3. Is there any .net example for C++ Builder XE version ?

Best Regards

Yilmaz



CCP will never tell a player 'This person's application is safe'. It opens them up to potential liability.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#50 - 2014-10-11 20:01:15 UTC
Atach Hann wrote:
Hello, I am a long time developer, and 1 year EVE player.

1. I want to develop an exe app or add on in C++ to eve game (e.g. something like small excel file) like Notepad or Compare tool used in Eve. There may be a website that those apps or addons are safe and can be linked by eve in add-ons page. So users may safely download and use in game.

2. Can it be possible that our apps may be added to Menu of Eve like Compare Tool ? AddOns Menu can be loaded from database, and if app is installed it can be available on the menu. When user clicks app, app window will run on the eve game screen.

3. Is there any .net example for C++ Builder XE version ?

Best Regards

Yilmaz


1. We will probably never officially list third party applications for the same reasons that Steve mentioned. We also don't allow client modifications, so something running in EVE is not going to happen.

2. No, we don't let anyone else modify the client.

3. You can see some examples and libraries here:

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/XML_API_Libraries
https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/XML_API_Getting_Started

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

Atach Hann
Jita Agile Police Department
#51 - 2014-10-12 01:18:28 UTC
Thank you
Kossaw
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#52 - 2014-10-13 11:54:35 UTC
CCP FoxFour wrote:
...


Foxfour, why wont you answer questions about the requirement to use a credit card with CCP before we can access these services ?

So far all we have is a bunch of gueses from people who have no specific knowledge at all.

WTB : An image in my signature

CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#53 - 2014-10-13 12:21:40 UTC
Kossaw wrote:
CCP FoxFour wrote:
...


Foxfour, why wont you answer questions about the requirement to use a credit card with CCP before we can access these services ?

So far all we have is a bunch of gueses from people who have no specific knowledge at all.


Sorry for the late response. Basically this requirement is not going away and comes from legal. We are giving you, or will be, write access to TQ. Part of doing that means helping ensure we have another way of verifying who you are. I don't know the specifics as to why it's CC and CC only, but that happens to be what it is for now.

I have brought the concern up with others though.

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

Kossaw
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#54 - 2014-10-13 21:47:06 UTC
CCP FoxFour wrote:
I have brought the concern up with others though.

Thanks for your response mate.

WTB : An image in my signature

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#55 - 2014-10-14 07:06:58 UTC
I see that the Applications category is empty/not accessible. Would maybe interesting to put the EVE Probe there for download?

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Althalus Stenory
Flying Blacksmiths
#56 - 2014-10-15 13:26:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Althalus Stenory
By any chance, is there a way to get this page https://developers.testeveonline.com/blog as RSS, just like we can do with dev blogs here http://newsfeed.eveonline.com/en-US/2/articles/page/1/20 ?

EsiPy - Python 2.7 / 3.3+ Swagger Client based on pyswagger for ESI

CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#57 - 2014-10-15 14:40:13 UTC
Althalus Stenory wrote:
By any chance, is there a way to get this page https://developers.testeveonline.com/blog as RSS, just like we can do with dev blogs here http://newsfeed.eveonline.com/en-US/2/articles/page/1/20 ?


http://newsfeed.eveonline.com/en-US/95/articles

There is an RSS link on the front page. :)

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

Enta Ozuwara
WeebFleet
Tsundere Triad
#58 - 2014-10-15 15:18:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Enta Ozuwara
CCP FoxFour wrote:
Atach Hann wrote:
Hello, I am a long time developer, and 1 year EVE player.

1. I want to develop an exe app or add on in C++ to eve game (e.g. something like small excel file) like Notepad or Compare tool used in Eve. There may be a website that those apps or addons are safe and can be linked by eve in add-ons page. So users may safely download and use in game.

2. Can it be possible that our apps may be added to Menu of Eve like Compare Tool ? AddOns Menu can be loaded from database, and if app is installed it can be available on the menu. When user clicks app, app window will run on the eve game screen.

3. Is there any .net example for C++ Builder XE version ?

Best Regards

Yilmaz


1. We will probably never officially list third party applications for the same reasons that Steve mentioned. We also don't allow client modifications, so something running in EVE is not going to happen.

2. No, we don't let anyone else modify the client.

3. You can see some examples and libraries here:

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/XML_API_Libraries
https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/XML_API_Getting_Started


I think widgets authored with web technologies that can hook into menus, use a more extensive Javascript API (or just CREST with in-client auth or something) and generally feel like they're part of the client would make EVE a lot better than it is right now. Of course this couldn't warp you or update your market orders. Or do anything active that CREST wouldn't be able to do. It'd be a lot like Overwolf (which you mentioned on the QA where I asked about the IGB)

CCP FoxFour wrote:
Kossaw wrote:
CCP FoxFour wrote:
...


Foxfour, why wont you answer questions about the requirement to use a credit card with CCP before we can access these services ?

So far all we have is a bunch of gueses from people who have no specific knowledge at all.


Sorry for the late response. Basically this requirement is not going away and comes from legal. We are giving you, or will be, write access to TQ. Part of doing that means helping ensure we have another way of verifying who you are. I don't know the specifics as to why it's CC and CC only, but that happens to be what it is for now.

I have brought the concern up with others though.


I'd totally be willing to show you anything I'd need to provide to get a CC. As it is right now I'm pestering everyone in my Corp while being a trial member :^)
Althalus Stenory
Flying Blacksmiths
#59 - 2014-10-15 15:36:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Althalus Stenory
CCP FoxFour wrote:
Althalus Stenory wrote:
By any chance, is there a way to get this page https://developers.testeveonline.com/blog as RSS, just like we can do with dev blogs here http://newsfeed.eveonline.com/en-US/2/articles/page/1/20 ?


http://newsfeed.eveonline.com/en-US/95/articles

There is an RSS link on the front page. :)

Ahah ! Thx :)

I didn't saw it as I bookmarked the blog ^^"

edit: FYI, in the rss feed, http links for entry id seems to contain minor errors :
example for the last article : the entry ID leads to http://developers.eveonline.com/blog/industry-changes-for-phoebe instead of https://developers.testeveonline.com/blog/article/industry-changes-for-phoebe (/article/ is missing)

EsiPy - Python 2.7 / 3.3+ Swagger Client based on pyswagger for ESI

CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#60 - 2014-10-15 16:02:49 UTC
Althalus Stenory wrote:
CCP FoxFour wrote:
Althalus Stenory wrote:
By any chance, is there a way to get this page https://developers.testeveonline.com/blog as RSS, just like we can do with dev blogs here http://newsfeed.eveonline.com/en-US/2/articles/page/1/20 ?


http://newsfeed.eveonline.com/en-US/95/articles

There is an RSS link on the front page. :)

Ahah ! Thx :)

I didn't saw it as I bookmarked the blog ^^"

edit: FYI, in the rss feed, http links for entry id seems to contain minor errors :
example for the last article : the entry ID leads to http://developers.eveonline.com/blog/industry-changes-for-phoebe instead of https://developers.testeveonline.com/blog/article/industry-changes-for-phoebe (/article/ is missing)


Thanks, have a fix for that coming very soon. :)

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.