These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

Hyperion a resounding success?

First post
Author
Ren Oren
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2014-09-14 23:02:44 UTC
Obsidian Hawk wrote:
posting in obligitory eve is dying thread. also Football season started in the states so most people are watching the game right now.



How about we change from "Eve is dying" to "Devs are leaving left and right"

Maybe that will put things into perspective
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#22 - 2014-09-14 23:13:01 UTC
Ptraci wrote:
DaReaper wrote:
Hicksimus wrote:
I wish I was in the alternate universe where CCP had been smart enough to invest in EvE instead of spending all that money on shovelware514, world of dickheads, and whatever that other game is.


Then you have zero clue how business works


Oh then please tell us, enlightened one. How does pouring dollars down poorly thought out R&D pathways that are cancelled far before their unrealistic completion dates make for successful business?


CCP became complacent. They thought they could do no harm and we would take whatever they shelled out. They figured give us incarnia, make it micro transaction heavy, there is no competition no one will leave we can do this.. But the jita riots proved them wrong. It also showed them that oh crap moment of 'if eve falls, so goes CCP'

This put WoD development on hold, and any progress they may have made in 3 years was halted and re-evaluated. This would cause them to change things, even in dust. So they start fixing eve, and put WoD on bare bones crew. Then they push to finish dust, because they need another game, for as i just said 'if eve falls, so gos ccp'

So they launch dust, and also show us valk which got a surprise reaction.

So as the year goes on ccp starts looking at things again, and goes 'we have two pc eve games... one for ps3 and one totally different ip... i don;t think this is gonna work'

killing WoD, while i disagree with, was a good idea. Dust clearly was not a huge smash. And i think CCP saw issues with up datinng both the pc and ps3. Plus, lets face it, the ps3 prolly had limitations they got tired of dealing with. So they decided to take charge and move to a single platform. close WoD because it was not close to done and was not part of the new direction (hell if the New Eden IP becomes a huge success, they can always relook at WoD). The point is, they need more products to survive. And they need to take risk to learn. We showed them that they can;t relay on just eve. And we showed them, they need to focus on us for now. Without eve players CCP is dead.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#23 - 2014-09-14 23:22:10 UTC
Ren Oren wrote:
Obsidian Hawk wrote:
posting in obligitory eve is dying thread. also Football season started in the states so most people are watching the game right now.



How about we change from "Eve is dying" to "Devs are leaving left and right"

Maybe that will put things into perspective



Lets look at this logically shall we? The economy is getting better. That means there are more jobs and opportunities. That means anyone who was a little annoyed at there work place starts going 'hmm that looks like i can find a few more companies hiring.. i can move on' it happens everywhere. When the economy is ****, people hang on the job, house, life they have, because tis too big a risk to leave. You put up with a lot of crap because of that. But the moment you see the chance for more money you run.

Dev's leaving does;t really mean anything. It happens all the time. What should worry you is if they can replace the ones that go. And we ofc don;t have the info. I read as 'person a leaves for company b' as a meh moment. Its natural in business, and really is not a sign of much. It COULD be, but typically isn;t.

If you say work for intel, and have a buddy who quit intel and went to google. Then a few months later you wanted out of intel, you would ask your buddy if google has any opening. As you already have a foot in the door and can use yoru bud to get you in. this is how networking and business works. And this is another example of people too dedicated to a product that they stalk every move of the company that makes it, and tries to desperately analyze every word. Heres an idea.. maybe stop doing that and keep playing the game you enjoy. Because at the end of the day, you are just a customer and nothing you can say or do will change the fact that ccp is closing if it is. So why worry? And if you don;t enjoy eve.. then why the **** are you still here?

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#24 - 2014-09-15 01:29:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Shiloh Templeton
Hey, look at that chart -- I signed up a year ago at the peak of the Test/CFC war. .... No wonder it's felt like it's been all downhill since then.

j/k I love Eve - I just hope that some of it's best days are still ahead & it's worth building up my experience and SP to be ready for those days.
Varesk
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2014-09-15 01:39:38 UTC
numbers always go down at the end of summer. some people that play this game have to go back to school. this happens every year and every year threads start being posted about it.
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#26 - 2014-09-15 15:31:21 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:


Please make us a list of the companies with a 100% hit rate whom you have financially managed.


I haven't seen your credentials, but I don't doubt they are impressive..


Irrelevant when you are comparing a "100% hit rate" with a 0% hit rate. Well ok they did manage to get Dust514 out the door. And in their infinite wisdom they made it Playstation only. The business case behind this being, er, let me get back to you on this...

As for my credentials - you first. This is the internet. There's no way I'd expect you to believe me and there's no way I'd be interested in proving anything. But better than credentials how about letting the evidence speak for itself. EVE is an old product with a poor audience (compared to other online games) and complete stagnation in growth numbers. Their only strength is that they seem to be able to manage to sell multiple subs and PLEX to their existing customer base, but at some point these are going to move on or even get old and die.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2014-09-15 15:48:27 UTC
Ptraci wrote:
...poor audience....


Niche audience =/= poor audience.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Ssabat Thraxx
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#28 - 2014-09-15 15:54:39 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
Lets look at this logically shall we? The economy is getting better.


orly?


\m/ O.o \m/

"You're a freak ..." - Solecist Project

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2014-09-15 15:58:31 UTC
Ren Oren wrote:
Obsidian Hawk wrote:
posting in obligitory eve is dying thread. also Football season started in the states so most people are watching the game right now.



How about we change from "Eve is dying" to "Devs are leaving left and right"

Maybe that will put things into perspective


So...

Less money spent on salaries, more spent on EVE?

HUZZAH!!!

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#30 - 2014-09-15 17:53:02 UTC
Next expansion will be best thing that hit eve online, you ppl give up so easy.

Who need a dev that is there forever key is in constant flux of talent in and out I say.

Now whos for some re balance pass hm?

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Copper Khai
#31 - 2014-09-15 20:09:51 UTC
Current Devs are best Devs ever and I've never been more hopeful for EVE's future. Especially the CCP Nullarbor, Fozzie, ytterbium, Greyscale, Seagal, Scarpia... very talented people, among others.

EVE is jazz - some people will always love it, year after year
EVE is not pop radio - "what no, hit this month, you are over." On to the next one.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#32 - 2014-09-15 20:13:17 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Now you're just creating work for the ISDs. Think of their children man.
Yes, and my children would be grateful if less extra work was created. My wife would too btw.

Thread locked.

The Rules:
17. Redundant and re-posted threads will be locked.

As a courtesy to other forum users, please search to see if there is a thread already open on the topic you wish to discuss. If so, please place your comments there instead. Multiple threads on the same subject clutter up the forums needlessly, causing good feedback and ideas to be lost. Please keep discussions regarding a topic to a single thread.


ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Previous page12