These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

As a fairly new player- is Exploration or Mission running better?

First post
Author
Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#21 - 2014-08-22 10:27:41 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
*Snip* Removed reply to a deleted post. ISD Ezwal.

As far as losec, WH space or null goes I have yet to see a single CODE gatecamp or any other CODE presence in low, null or any WH I have scouted. I am sure they DO occasionally pop up in low or null but the chances of bumping into them outside hisec is is close enough to nil.


*Snip* Removed reply to an edited out part of the quoted post. ISD Ezwal. I did run into a large Russian gate camp once on my way to Stain, so if you spend time in Null, don't try to cross a war zone if you're too tired to read DOTLAN correctly. Lol
Ka' Zutao Hashur
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2014-08-22 13:41:09 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Owen Levanth wrote:
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
*Snip* Removed reply to a deleted post. ISD Ezwal.

As far as losec, WH space or null goes I have yet to see a single CODE gatecamp or any other CODE presence in low, null or any WH I have scouted. I am sure they DO occasionally pop up in low or null but the chances of bumping into them outside hisec is is close enough to nil.


*Snip* Removed reply to an edited out part of the quoted post. ISD Ezwal. I did run into a large Russian gate camp once on my way to Stain, so if you spend time in Null, don't try to cross a war zone if you're too tired to read DOTLAN correctly. Lol




Low/Null sec appeal to me more than Hi-sec to be honest.
Stone-Cold Gunther Sabre
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2014-08-26 13:50:13 UTC
Ka' Zutao Hashur wrote:
I have an interest in doing exploration stuff but I keep reading its best to do that type of stuff when you have a Covert Ops ship? Is it possible to do in a Frigate? or is it just better to run missions until your skills catch up and allow you to fly a better ship?


You can definitely do exploration in a T1 frigate. I started in low sec with an Imicus (choose favourite faction exploration frig), no cloak needed, and had no major problems with other players (choose a quiet area). You definitely need need need to learn to use d-scan, set safe spots, set up your overview and understand what other players are up to around you, though. Not having a cloak is an excellent way of learning the above player skills and you'll learn how to read what is going on in system (a skill useful for every aspect of Eve) far better than high sec missioning, even if you can make more ISK in missions.

In fact, since using a covops frigate it is easy to become complacent which is always bad!
Sinnish Saken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#24 - 2014-08-27 21:49:33 UTC
Invest in an Astero, newbro's version of a covops frig. Basically has T2 bonuses and you can bully other explorers out of sites and get some kills/loot. Once you get a taste of that nullsec look you'll see the investment was worth it.
Ka' Zutao Hashur
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2014-08-29 16:39:33 UTC
Sinnish Saken wrote:
Invest in an Astero, newbro's version of a covops frig. Basically has T2 bonuses and you can bully other explorers out of sites and get some kills/loot. Once you get a taste of that nullsec look you'll see the investment was worth it.



I will look into that! I just got destroyed by another explorer in WH space when I was in my Imicus.. so anything more beefy that will give me a fair go against others is worth a look1
Experiment 32423
Doomheim
#26 - 2014-08-29 18:23:08 UTC
Missions would probably provide higher ISK, exploration (up to a point) will provide more enjoyment and experience.
Sinnish Saken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#27 - 2014-08-29 18:45:00 UTC
Variety is the spice of life! Screw the isk...have fun.
Elinarien
Doomheim
#28 - 2014-09-01 09:01:18 UTC
Ka' Zutao Hashur wrote:
I have an interest in doing exploration stuff but I keep reading its best to do that type of stuff when you have a Covert Ops ship? Is it possible to do in a Frigate? or is it just better to run missions until your skills catch up and allow you to fly a better ship?


Check this guy out - exploration is a state of mind.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8mjRcrFtOMUg8oKWgSnww
erg cz
ErgoDron
#29 - 2014-09-01 12:07:26 UTC
Experiment 32423 wrote:
Missions would probably provide higher ISK, exploration (up to a point) will provide more enjoyment and experience.


Can't fully agree with that. Exploration sites are same, all the time. Only loot differs. And loot in high sec is not worth hour of digging through wormholes sigs and half-plundered sites. Many ppl just wait till server restart and then quickly cherry pick best out of cans, leaving data or relic sides half plundered with only junk left. In low sec it is even worse since they will stay cloaked next to the can and will ambush you as soon as you will get into site.

Security missions gives you nice celestials to see, it takes much more time to get used to view of angel cathedrals or rogue drone barricades... Much more fun, IMHO. Of cause they also become repetitive, but not that much as few usual data or relic sites.
Andrew Indy
Cleaning Crew
#30 - 2014-09-04 05:31:10 UTC
erg cz wrote:
Experiment 32423 wrote:
Missions would probably provide higher ISK, exploration (up to a point) will provide more enjoyment and experience.


Can't fully agree with that. Exploration sites are same, all the time. Only loot differs. And loot in high sec is not worth hour of digging through wormholes sigs and half-plundered sites. Many ppl just wait till server restart and then quickly cherry pick best out of cans, leaving data or relic sides half plundered with only junk left. In low sec it is even worse since they will stay cloaked next to the can and will ambush you as soon as you will get into site.

Security missions gives you nice celestials to see, it takes much more time to get used to view of angel cathedrals or rogue drone barricades... Much more fun, IMHO. Of cause they also become repetitive, but not that much as few usual data or relic sites.


The fun does not come from the sites it comes from a sense of accomplishment. Getting past the pirates, getting a good drop , forcing someone from a site ect ect.

Player interaction is fairly dynamic where are missions are always the same save a few gankers and looters.
Luwc
Elysian Technologies Enclave
Dead Terrorists
#31 - 2014-09-04 06:46:08 UTC
The year 2014.

Interpid Crossing talking about mission running. The world has come to balance

http://hugelolcdn.com/i/267520.gif

Jeremiah Saken
The Fall of Leviathan
#32 - 2014-09-05 06:41:35 UTC
Elinarien wrote:
Check this guy out - exploration is a state of mind.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8mjRcrFtOMUg8oKWgSnww


Meth, not even onceLol D-scan lesson in a pill.
He found sand in his sandbox, good for him. Worthless kill but he had some much fun!

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..." - Herman Melville

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#33 - 2014-09-05 21:04:33 UTC
I have removed a rule breaking post and those quoting it.

The Rules:
26. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued.



And on topic: Both have merits and as with everything, both get dull after doing them for a prolonged period of time. The best way to enjoy EvE to the fullest is finding an interesting mix of activities, interesting for you that is, Do some exploration followed by some missions, do some exploration again,etcetera.
As a matter of fact, I do (and like) both at times. Among many, many other things. Never a dull moment in EvE....Blink

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Previous page12