These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Why do people announce things in alliance chat?

Author
metalravenous
Pyramid Celestial
#1 - 2014-08-27 18:51:08 UTC
Snippet of typical alliance banter:

[18:43:24] Lostility > JF leaving jita within 30 mins so last chance for couriers!!
[18:44:31] galrizian > can you go to rens 1st ?
[18:44:56] galrizian > i got a 120k m3 can that needs bringin down here

Why do people post these things in alliance chat where there are spies who can use this information to gank them? Is it me or is it just not the smartest place to be announcing your travel plans?
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-08-27 18:53:37 UTC
because being helpful in ally > paranoid fear of spais
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
metalravenous
Pyramid Celestial
#3 - 2014-08-27 18:56:33 UTC
J3ssica Alba wrote:
because being helpful in ally > paranoid fear of spais


So being helpful justifies being dumb?
Leoric Firesword
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2014-08-27 18:57:23 UTC
Because it's entirely possible that they're using an alt to do the hauling, and not the character they're in alliance chat with.

Because they're trying to be a good alliance mate.

Because not everyone is concerned about spies.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#5 - 2014-08-27 19:00:06 UTC
the likelihood of someone using an 'alliance chat spy' to find out where your jf duder is is not very high
Erika Tsurpalen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-08-27 19:04:33 UTC
Leoric Firesword wrote:
Because it's entirely possible that they're using an alt to do the hauling, and not the character they're in alliance chat with.


More like completely idiotic if they arnt.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#7 - 2014-08-27 19:11:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
metalravenous wrote:
Snippet of typical alliance banter:

[18:43:24] Lostility > JF leaving jita within 30 mins so last chance for couriers!!
[18:44:31] galrizian > can you go to rens 1st ?
[18:44:56] galrizian > i got a 120k m3 can that needs bringin down here

Why do people post these things in alliance chat where there are spies who can use this information to gank them? Is it me or is it just not the smartest place to be announcing your travel plans?
It's called working as part of a team and being a good corpie/alliance member. Also out of corp/alliance alts are a thing, especially for hauling.

Judging by some of your posts recently, especially with regards to working with others, it's something you know nothing about Roll

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Marsha Mallow
#8 - 2014-08-27 19:13:44 UTC
Might be worth mentioning in alliance chat when your super is tackled tho. Unless they think you're a trolling berk and would rather hoe on the km than help.

~the most annoying thing is replacing it~

SMD Blink

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2014-08-27 19:21:52 UTC
If you're on a big alliance you're pretty dumb as a rule. So your point?

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#10 - 2014-08-27 19:24:21 UTC
metalravenous wrote:
J3ssica Alba wrote:
because being helpful in ally > paranoid fear of spais


So being helpful justifies being dumb?


It's hard to get ganked when you jump from under cover of undocking invulnerability.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

GreenSeed
#11 - 2014-08-27 19:34:00 UTC  |  Edited by: GreenSeed
from having "chat intel" to having a Machariel bumper in system cloaked and prealigned to where you know the cyno alt will land and light, there's a long stretch.

it would be different if you know the JF will make a stop at a stationless system to cap up and do another jump.
Artemis Bowden
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2014-08-27 19:35:56 UTC
metalravenous wrote:
Snippet of typical alliance banter:

[18:43:24] Lostility > JF leaving jita within 30 mins so last chance for couriers!!
[18:44:31] galrizian > can you go to rens 1st ?
[18:44:56] galrizian > i got a 120k m3 can that needs bringin down here

Why do people post these things in alliance chat where there are spies who can use this information to gank them? Is it me or is it just not the smartest place to be announcing your travel plans?



However, posting it in GD compared to alliance chat is a much better idea. Reaches a much larger audience to comment on your travel plans....vRoll
Jenn aSide
Worthless Carebears
Pandemic Horde
#13 - 2014-08-27 19:37:24 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
metalravenous wrote:
Snippet of typical alliance banter:

[18:43:24] Lostility > JF leaving jita within 30 mins so last chance for couriers!!
[18:44:31] galrizian > can you go to rens 1st ?
[18:44:56] galrizian > i got a 120k m3 can that needs bringin down here

Why do people post these things in alliance chat where there are spies who can use this information to gank them? Is it me or is it just not the smartest place to be announcing your travel plans?
It's called working as part of a team and being a good corpie/alliance member. Also out of corp/alliance alts are a thing, especially for hauling.

Judging by some of your posts recently, especially with regards to working with others, it's something you know nothing about Roll


hey Jonah, did this guy ring your 'ok, this chum has some issues' bell the way he rung mine? Big smile
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#14 - 2014-08-27 19:43:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Jenn aSide wrote:
hey Jonah, did this guy ring your 'ok, this chum has some issues' bell the way he rung mine? Big smile
Nah, he rung my "should be playing X-Afterbirth and salivating at the thought of Star Citizen" bell.

The someone has issues bell got broken the day I discovered the F&I forum.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Adrie Atticus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2014-08-27 20:19:04 UTC
metalravenous wrote:
Snippet of typical alliance banter:

[18:43:24] Lostility > JF leaving jita within 30 mins so last chance for couriers!!
[18:44:31] galrizian > can you go to rens 1st ?
[18:44:56] galrizian > i got a 120k m3 can that needs bringin down here

Why do people post these things in alliance chat where there are spies who can use this information to gank them? Is it me or is it just not the smartest place to be announcing your travel plans?


Lies.

There's a reason your alliance is called "DOCKNESS.", you never undock.
Torneach Structor
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2014-08-27 20:22:55 UTC
Oh, look, you're complaining about your alliance again.
Vyl Vit
#17 - 2014-08-27 20:32:04 UTC
Pretty small time to use a spy in an alliance to pinpoint mere freighter hauls. Too valuable an asset to use like that. So, stupidity would factor in all this somewhere...as it does everywhere.

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#18 - 2014-08-27 20:58:12 UTC
There are spais in Eve ???

I am shocked and appalled, no, seriously I am.
...
Stop that sniggering
...
It's undignified





IT'S NOT THAT FUNNY OK !!!!!!
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#19 - 2014-08-27 21:12:12 UTC
It's only dumb if it doesn't work, really.
BoBoZoBo
MGroup9
#20 - 2014-08-27 21:41:23 UTC  |  Edited by: BoBoZoBo
metalravenous wrote:
J3ssica Alba wrote:
because being helpful in ally > paranoid fear of spais
So being helpful justifies being dumb?



Many people use alts, especially in big alliances. Chances are, you will never see that character doing the hauling.

You not thinking about these things, does not make others stupid.

PS - Nice way to talk about your bros.

Primary Test Subject • SmackTalker Elite

12Next page