These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Will Island sink - is CCP prepared?

First post
Author
Ciar Meara
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#1 - 2011-12-02 12:26:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Ciar Meara
Icelandic volcano could cause severe flooding scientist warns

I would like to request that CCP builds a floodwall at their offices, because from the videos I have seen CCP is next to the harbour albeit pretty high up.

TLDR: Island volcano underneath a glacier will explode soon and flood into the sea and CCP isn't build on a boat. (I think)

Additionally, more information if there is anything a CCP dev things he needs he can request so. I am sure people would be prepared to send inflatables so you guys can live.

- [img]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/janus/ceosig.jpg[/img] [yellow]English only please. Zymurgist[/yellow]

Ann133566
Doomheim
#2 - 2011-12-02 12:32:27 UTC
Ciar Meara wrote:
Icelandic volcano could cause severe flooding scientist warns

I would like to request that CCP builds a floodwall at their offices, because from the videos I have seen CCP is next to the harbour albeit pretty high up.

TLDR: Island volcano underneath a glacier will explode soon and flood into the sea and CCP isn't build on a boat. (I think)


The servers are in London, but I suppose if they all die in a flood we would have to wait a while before a new expansion and patches are put in place if all the devs die in a lake of molten rock or boiling sea, or poisioned horribly by the fumes or stupidly drown slowly in the North Atlantic. Lets hope that doesn't happen because I still have ISK to spend and Iceland owe my country some money.
Reiisha
#3 - 2011-12-03 14:24:04 UTC
I'd be more worried about Yellowstone tbh. ;p

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Klown Walk
Black Rebel Rifter Club
The Devil's Tattoo
#4 - 2011-12-03 14:45:26 UTC
Will this happen before the 2012 doomsday?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#5 - 2011-12-03 20:58:09 UTC
Here was me thinking a part of iceland was going to crack off. No this won't flood CCP and CCP Sharkbait will still be safely contained in the fish tank.

Wost that could happen is ash fallout but I would bet on that either going north or west, hitting Europe againTwisted
CCP Stillman
C C P
C C P Alliance
#6 - 2011-12-04 00:20:15 UTC
The museum below the CCP office has a boat outside. If the waters go too high, we'll be able to jump onto it from the 2nd floor balcony with ease.

Frankly, Katla is quite far away. Which is good, because the museum boat has sprung a leak. So I doubt it would float for very long. Oops

Just a random dude in Team Security.

Jada Maroo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2011-12-04 01:13:11 UTC
CCP Stillman wrote:
Frankly, Katla is quite far away. Which is good, because the museum boat has sprung a leak. So I doubt it would float for very long. Oops


Just use whoever thought of the NEX store to plug the hole. Preferably head first, with the top half of their body underwater.
Alara IonStorm
#8 - 2011-12-04 01:25:47 UTC
Move your offices into orbit.

Sure managing a Starbase is hard but once you have figured it all out...

Use that knowledge to redesign our Starbases.
Nemesis Factor
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2011-12-04 06:15:23 UTC
CCP Stillman wrote:
The museum below the CCP office has a boat outside. If the waters go too high, we'll be able to jump onto it from the 2nd floor balcony with ease.

Frankly, Katla is quite far away. Which is good, because the museum boat has sprung a leak. So I doubt it would float for very long. Oops


We're more concerened about development than your well-being Twisted
Myxx
The Scope
#10 - 2011-12-04 07:16:18 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Move your offices into orbit.

Sure managing a Starbase is hard but once you have figured it all out...

Use that knowledge to redesign our Starbases.

Win.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#11 - 2011-12-04 07:24:51 UTC
Reiisha wrote:
I'd be more worried about Yellowstone tbh. ;p


If Yellowstone super-caldera were to go, it would be preempted by a long long buildup of pressure (several months minimum, likely years) during which the ground around yellowstone (massive area of land) would swell and rise hundreds of feet higher than it's current elevation.

This buildup would preempt the explosion itself, by a significant period of time. We would know very well it was going to happen before it did, in a manner in which wouldn't be able to be kept a secret.

Most comforting of all, we would have a chance to combat it. Whether or not we have the technology to prevent that type of catastrophe is a question for darpa, but I like knowing I can see the end coming and have a good amount of time to scream at the darkness before I go into it.


No, I'd be more worried about the smaller volcanoes that give little to no warning before they blow.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#12 - 2011-12-04 07:35:22 UTC
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
Reiisha wrote:
I'd be more worried about Yellowstone tbh. ;p


If Yellowstone super-caldera were to go, it would be preempted by a long long buildup of pressure (several months minimum, likely years) during which the ground around yellowstone (massive area of land) would swell and rise hundreds of feet higher than it's current elevation.

This buildup would preempt the explosion itself, by a significant period of time. We would know very well it was going to happen before it did, in a manner in which wouldn't be able to be kept a secret.

Most comforting of all, we would have a chance to combat it. Whether or not we have the technology to prevent that type of catastrophe is a question for darpa, but I like knowing I can see the end coming and have a good amount of time to scream at the darkness before I go into it.


No, I'd be more worried about the smaller volcanoes that give little to no warning before they blow.



The yellowstone caldera is indeed rising at this timeBlink
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#13 - 2011-12-04 08:23:28 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

The yellowstone caldera is indeed rising at this timeBlink


indeed. more than it ever has in the time we've been monitoring it (~90 years)

The real question is, what activity is concerning and what isn't?

There is great debate on this but many many experts believe we would see not the couple inches / fraction of inches we see year to year but an elevation change measurable in scores or even hundreds of feet. And that we would see this likely years before an actual eruption event.

Archetype 66
Perkone
Caldari State
#14 - 2011-12-04 10:50:12 UTC
CCP Stillman wrote:
The museum below the CCP office has a boat outside. If the waters go too high, we'll be able to jump onto it from the 2nd floor balcony with ease.

Frankly, Katla is quite far away. Which is good, because the museum boat has sprung a leak. So I doubt it would float for very long. Oops



Hamsters are in England, right ?
Reiisha
#15 - 2011-12-04 10:51:31 UTC
I wonder whether it's possible to somehow let the pressure off the caldera without setting it off. A controlled eruption where the lava flows out of the magma pockets in certain places at a certain rate.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

CCP Stillman
C C P
C C P Alliance
#16 - 2011-12-04 11:22:59 UTC
Archetype 66 wrote:
CCP Stillman wrote:
The museum below the CCP office has a boat outside. If the waters go too high, we'll be able to jump onto it from the 2nd floor balcony with ease.

Frankly, Katla is quite far away. Which is good, because the museum boat has sprung a leak. So I doubt it would float for very long. Oops



Hamsters are in England, right ?

In London, yes.

Just a random dude in Team Security.

Archetype 66
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2011-12-04 11:31:19 UTC
Well, all is not lost !
Emiko P'eng
#18 - 2011-12-04 15:23:40 UTC
Humm!

Volcano might go pop in the next couple of months!

Fanfest is in March!

Now what did the report say about ash, water & aircraft

Oh! The irony!

So how much are the ferries from the UK Big smile
CCP Stillman
C C P
C C P Alliance
#19 - 2011-12-04 16:24:14 UTC
Emiko P'eng wrote:
Humm!

Volcano might go pop in the next couple of months!

Fanfest is in March!

Now what did the report say about ash, water & aircraft

Oh! The irony!

So how much are the ferries from the UK Big smile

Don't worry. If you guys get stuck up here as a result of Katla going off during fanfest, you'll be fine. Local authorities will be handing out masks to make sure you don't inhale too much ash. And there's plenty of good pubs around the fanfest venue for you to enjoy while waiting for the airspace to clear up Big smile

Just a random dude in Team Security.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#20 - 2011-12-04 20:33:12 UTC
EVE fanfest. Parties so extreme they set off volcanoesTwisted
12Next page