These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Citizens on the frontier concerned by Boundless Creation breakthrough

Author
Shirley Serious
Gutter Press
#1 - 2014-03-15 18:15:53 UTC
The Minmatar tech corporation Boundless Creation has just revealed a gravity well generator one eighth the size of existing technologies.

As news spreads of this technological development, several citizens have expressed concern over the potential uses of this device, with citizens near the militia warzones particularly concerned.

"what if tribal terrorists use them to collapse planets in on themselves?" asked a concerned Ni-Kunni jewellery trader.
"It'll all end in tears, so it will", said an Ealurian road sweeper.
"I have every faith in the Imperial Navy to counter such Matari duplicity", said a Khanid fundamentalist extremist.
"Artificial Gravity wells, eh? is that anything like the bottomless pit?", asked an Udorian teenage fashion model.
"I tell you what, it's just one thing after another here", said an elderly Amarr churchman. "Go to the Bleak Lands, they said. Plenty of opportunity, they said. Blood Raiders, assassins, Minmatar terrorists, scoundrelous militiamen, on both sides, I tell you, and now there's artificial gravity bombs? I don't need to tell you what the Scriptures say about many hardships and closeness to God, why, with this sort of thing, God himself might as well be right here in the Bleak Lands. End Times? pah! they can't come quick enough if you ask me!"


The Imperial Navy has not yet commented officially regarding the potential terror uses of the device.

Just the facts.

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-03-15 22:54:34 UTC
I for one applaud Boundless Creation on their breakthrough. I hope this technogy is used for peaceful or at the very least, defensive purposes.

Boundless creation has always been one of my favorite ship builders, second only to CreoDron.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Diana Kim
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#3 - 2014-03-15 23:24:07 UTC
They stole Caldari technology!
Remember that Arekjaalan project, or how was it called?
When minmatars took a Caldari scientist with a team, eh?
They stole CALDARI technology!!

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Alica Wildfire
Industry Network
#4 - 2014-03-15 23:47:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Alica Wildfire
Shirley Serious wrote:
The Minmatar tech corporation Boundless Creation has just revealed a gravity well generator one eighth the size of existing technologies.


I can answer you the most important questions to this technology.


  1. Will the gravity well make us all geniuses or ultra rich? - NO, but maybe I get ultra rich by that I got connections to BC
  2. Will the gravity well make us all morons or ultra poor? - NO, unimportant as long as the rest get's hit worse than me
  3. Will the gravity well destroy industries? - YES, I hope those of the others
  4. Will the gravity well make us all better humans? - NO, the general direction is down
  5. Will the gravity well make us less caring? - NO, you can't care less than zero
  6. Will Minmatar teens use the gravity well for sex? - YES, who want's first?
  7. Were they going to have sex anyway? - YES, all teens do but the Amarrians. Amarrians actually don't have sex in their life. They let their Minmatar slaves do that and claim their babies as their heirs. If they are ugly enough. It's a question of diet.
  8. Will the gravity well destroy music? - NO, no but some music should be tested to make sure
  9. Will the gravity well destroy art? - NO, but you can throw it into the well and see
  10. But can't we go back to a time when - NO, well Boundless is working on a device that catapults you back in time, okay, you lose some skills doing that, but never mind
  11. Will the gravity well bring about world peace - I hope NOT, that would destroy my industry, which gets to point three
  12. Will the gravity well cause widespread alienation by creating a world of empty experiences? - we were already alienated

FREEDOM, PUNK & AUTOCANNONS

Saya Ishikari
Ishukone-Raata Technological Research Institute
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#5 - 2014-03-16 10:57:03 UTC
I'm vaguely horrified by the prospects here, depending on the specifications and capabilities...

"At the end of it all, we have only what we've left in our wake to be remembered by." -Kyoko Ishikari, YC 95 - YC 117

Diana Kim
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#6 - 2014-03-16 11:17:58 UTC
Alica Wildfire wrote:

  • Were they going to have sex anyway? - YES, all teens do but the Amarrians.
  • What the... actual...
    You know, that sex is a process of making children. To bring up children you need first marriage.
    Having teens to marry and bring up children is highly inappropriate.
    To have sex and make children, they MUST reach first legal age of majority, and then have marriage. Only after these two conditions are met they are allowed to have sex.


    Besides, the most important question you have missed:

    Can the gravity well be used as a weapon?

    Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

    In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

    Fredfredbug4
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #7 - 2014-03-16 14:55:30 UTC
    Diana Kim wrote:


    Can the gravity well be used as a weapon?


    Probably. However I'd imagine it wouldn't be for conventional warfare. The image in my mind is someone placing the gravity well inside a ship, docking in a station or flying near a large fleet, and letting hell loose.

    That said, there are plenty of peaceful applications such as smaller gravity generators on stations, more efficient methods of interstellar travel, and so on.

    Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

    Apollo Lyserius
    Minerva Technologies
    #8 - 2014-03-16 15:02:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Apollo Lyserius
    Great news. Can't wait for the short-lived Minmatar patent terms to end so I can put my hands on this knowledge. The economic implications are also excellent, we can expect a short boom in profits for a while after it is put to use in industry and mining.


    Diana Kim wrote:

    Can the gravity well be used as a weapon?


    Diana, please.


    P.S.: Gravity wells can and are used for weapons and industry right now. This breakthrough means smaller gravity well generators which means smaller ships doing more. I don't think it will be enough for a Hulk generator to be fit on, say, a Skiff, but it's a step forward.

    You can expect a good use of these in salvaging purposes, as well as mining operations.

    Smartbombs, tractor beams, mining lasers, all rely on gravity physics. More specifically on gravitons. Which can be harnessed, between other means, through artificial gravity generators.

    They're also what allow you to walk in stations or ships withouth floating around because of Zero-G.
    Naraish Adarn
    Alexylva Paradox
    #9 - 2014-03-16 15:38:47 UTC
    Diana Kim wrote:
    They stole Caldari technology!
    Remember that Arekjaalan project, or how was it called?
    When minmatars took a Caldari scientist with a team, eh?
    They stole CALDARI technology!!


    i would like to remind you that it was EIfyr co. not Boundless creation
    Ayallah
    Brutor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #10 - 2014-03-16 15:49:14 UTC
    Naraish Adarn wrote:

    i would like to remind you that it was EIfyr co. not Boundless creation


    Facts and Diana kim mix like matter and anti-matter.

    It is best to just ignore any posting she may do.

    Additionally, there is some speculation amongst the nullsec crowd that these smaller gravity well generators can be used to anchor new stargates. But of course Boundless has yet to release any specifications.

    Goddess of the IGS

    As strength goes.

    Jennifer Maxwell
    Crimson Serpent Syndicate
    #11 - 2014-03-16 16:41:30 UTC
    I believe some of you should... "brush up" on your physics. You speak as if artificial gravity wells are new. But I'm sure every one of you have had at least some experience with cynosural fields in the past.

    I'm not really a scientist or engineer myself, so I can't exactly see more general uses for this. But I do know of some uses for a potentially mobile cynosural field. Coupled with a greatly reduced footprint...
    Anabella Rella
    Gradient
    Electus Matari
    #12 - 2014-03-16 17:30:55 UTC
    Ignore the racist ramblings of Kim-baka. She thinks that only the State produces great minds capable of such technological innovation.

    When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

    Diana Kim
    Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
    Templis CALSF
    #13 - 2014-03-16 17:40:57 UTC
    Naraish Adarn wrote:
    Diana Kim wrote:
    They stole Caldari technology!
    Remember that Arekjaalan project, or how was it called?
    When minmatars took a Caldari scientist with a team, eh?
    They stole CALDARI technology!!


    i would like to remind you that it was EIfyr co. not Boundless creation

    I am sorry! Look, all minmatars do look the same for me, even their corporation.
    You just don't have to look far for examples: take these Ayallah and Anabella Rella, both have same faces and all they can do is just spit groundless insults with lies and run from combat.

    Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

    In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

    Diana Kim
    Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
    Templis CALSF
    #14 - 2014-03-16 17:44:03 UTC
    Apollo Lyserius wrote:
    Great news. Can't wait for the short-lived Minmatar patent terms to end so I can put my hands on this knowledge. The economic implications are also excellent, we can expect a short boom in profits for a while after it is put to use in industry and mining.


    Diana Kim wrote:

    Can the gravity well be used as a weapon?


    Diana, please.


    P.S.: Gravity wells can and are used for weapons and industry right now. This breakthrough means smaller gravity well generators which means smaller ships doing more. I don't think it will be enough for a Hulk generator to be fit on, say, a Skiff, but it's a step forward.

    You can expect a good use of these in salvaging purposes, as well as mining operations.

    Smartbombs, tractor beams, mining lasers, all rely on gravity physics. More specifically on gravitons. Which can be harnessed, between other means, through artificial gravity generators.

    They're also what allow you to walk in stations or ships withouth floating around because of Zero-G.

    Does this mean I will get a gravity well handgun?
    Or at least gravity well cannon for a frigate?
    Can you use this stuff to blow up whole planets?

    Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

    In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

    Apollo Lyserius
    Minerva Technologies
    #15 - 2014-03-16 21:28:25 UTC
    Diana Kim wrote:

    Does this mean I will get a gravity well handgun?
    Or at least gravity well cannon for a frigate?
    Can you use this stuff to blow up whole planets?


    Nope.

    That's not how gravity wells are used as weapons.
    Katran Luftschreck
    Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
    #16 - 2014-03-17 01:18:10 UTC
    Neat! Who'd they steal it from?

    http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

    Ayallah
    Brutor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #17 - 2014-03-17 11:33:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Ayallah
    Jennifer Maxwell wrote:
    I believe some of you should... "brush up" on your physics. You speak as if artificial gravity wells are new. But I'm sure every one of you have had at least some experience with cynosural fields in the past.

    I'm not really a scientist or engineer myself, so I can't exactly see more general uses for this. But I do know of some uses for a potentially mobile cynosural field. Coupled with a greatly reduced footprint...


    Perhaps we could produce ships that could 'jump' to those mobile cynosural beacons.
    Maybe even make 'covert' versions with this new technology that are undetectable...

    Or maybe our physics are fine and you missed the shuttle.

    Because artificial gravity wells are common and the breakthrough was in mass not it them existing at all.

    Goddess of the IGS

    As strength goes.

    Makoto Priano
    Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
    #18 - 2014-03-17 16:20:25 UTC
    Hmmm. Depending on how exactly the technology develops, I could see two potential paths:

    The first is a cynosural beacon probe; we may see sufficient miniaturization of the cynosural technology that it could be included as a payload on a warp-capable drone or probe.

    The second is an improved ability to generate navigation waypoints for in-system warping, due to how our navigation systems handle warp geometry.

    I suspect, though, that we won't see a breakthrough from Boundless Creations itself. Let's be honest. While Matari technology is perfectly capable, Boundless Creations hasn't proven itself a reliable provider of high technology research services. My recommendation to my Matari counterparts would be to solicit an established research partner such as Ishukone Okusaika, who will respect your joint claim to the intellectual property so generated.

    Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

    Fredfredbug4
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #19 - 2014-03-17 16:37:48 UTC
    Makoto Priano wrote:


    I suspect, though, that we won't see a breakthrough from Boundless Creations itself. Let's be honest. While Matari technology is perfectly capable, Boundless Creations hasn't proven itself a reliable provider of high technology research services. .


    They wrote the algorithm used in virtually all tracking systems, supply the Republic Fleet with all of it's subsystems and practically saved the Minmatar economy. Now they just created the most efficient and compact gravity well to date. What are you talking about?

    Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

    Diana Kim
    Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
    Templis CALSF
    #20 - 2014-03-17 17:33:06 UTC
    Makoto Priano wrote:

    I suspect, though, that we won't see a breakthrough from Boundless Creations itself. Let's be honest. While Matari technology is perfectly capable, Boundless Creations hasn't proven itself a reliable provider of high technology research services.

    In other words, they stole it.

    Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

    In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

    123Next pageLast page