These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

CCP had 4-6 weeks of actual development time into this release, happy and worried.

Author
Rong Targets
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2011-11-29 18:42:11 UTC
http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3211

So this whole expansion only took CCP 4-8 weeks to do, I remember that is when Helmer actually wrote his apology letter. This have me both worried and happy.

Happy: This is one of the best expansion release in a long time, and all of this only took them about 2 month of development, think what would be possible if CCP really focus their attention into eve online, I used to think CCP's coder are morons because everything they write are broken or useless, but now I am impressed at what they can do.

Unhappy: So if this thing only took 2 month to develop, then that means during the past years with all the ****** expansion after ****** expansion they are only putting a fraction of their resource back into the game EVE Online, which means they are only putting a small fraction of our paying subscription money into the game that we are paying. Just imagine if they had actually invested back into the game that is the company's only money maker what a amazing world EVE Online would actually be today?
Jita Alt666
#2 - 2011-11-29 18:54:14 UTC
I sort of agree with you however a couple of my assumptions that may be taken into consideration are:
1. Many of the items in Crucible are things the community have been asking for repeatedly over the last 3 years - these things have been listed, noted and a small amount of resources allocated over that period - the incarna screw up would have seen a massive increase in the resources on these items.
2. Hilmar's apology was not the start of the Crucible. The back ground work needed to show that the apology was more than mere words would have been completed before the apology came out. I think of the apology as the first piece of marketing for crucible not the beginning of the process.
Dbars Grinding
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2011-11-29 19:49:35 UTC
it takes 3 years to make some new ships and new backgrounds to fly in.

I have more space likes than you. 

metallica212
Slow Chidlren at Play
SL0W CHILDREN AT PLAY
#4 - 2011-11-29 20:00:17 UTC
Speaking from my own personal opinion, this is the nicest feeling and most bug free expansion I have seen in a very long time. The new nebulae and all the graphics upgrades are stunning. I do get a slight chuckle at the stargates pointed in derpy directions, but overall its awesome
Gogela
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#5 - 2011-11-29 20:10:01 UTC
Rong Targets wrote:

Happy: This is one of the best expansion release in a long time, and all of this only took them about 2 month of development, think what would be possible if CCP really focus their attention into eve online, I used to think CCP's coder are morons because everything they write are broken or useless, but now I am impressed at what they can do.

Unhappy: So if this thing only took 2 month to develop, then that means during the past years with all the ****** expansion after ****** expansion they are only putting a fraction of their resource back into the game EVE Online, which means they are only putting a small fraction of our paying subscription money into the game that we are paying. Just imagine if they had actually invested back into the game that is the company's only money maker what a amazing world EVE Online would actually be today?


1) Agreed.

2) Mind boggeling isn't it? Where would eve be today? tbqh I don't even have the slightest idea of where the game is going right now... I'm just happy about where the resources are pointing. Next expansion I think we'll see what CCP can really do. Personally, I'm looking forward to it!

metallica212 wrote:
Speaking from my own personal opinion, this is the nicest feeling and most bug free expansion I have seen in a very long time. The new nebulae and all the graphics upgrades are stunning. I do get a slight chuckle at the stargates pointed in derpy directions, but overall its awesome


Sometimes stars are in derpy positions. Space is big. It can be confusing. I for one am trying to train myself to navigate by the stars. That seems like a fun new game to me in and of itself.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Denidil
Cascades Mountain Operatives
#6 - 2011-11-29 20:13:10 UTC
they were spending a lot of time on eve before, but they were spending it on the wrong things (Incarna .. which constitutes basically developing an entirely separate game engine).

Tedium and difficulty are not the same thing, if you don't realize this then STFU about game design.

Alara IonStorm
#7 - 2011-11-29 20:14:19 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Apocrypha, in my eyes, is EVE's greatest expansion. I shudder to think where the game would be today without it. But like being saved by Spider-Man, everybody gets one; CCP has already stated that they will never again do anything Apocryphaesque.


It's true, we said that. But a lot of things have happened since that was stated. Hilmar's acknowledgement that we were on the wrong path, the restructuring of the company and the new focus on EVE to name a few. Since then we scrambled and in slightly less than two months we made what's probably the second largest expansion for EVE ever, and it's all about spaceships.

I can't and won't promise anything about what we'll do next, but things have changed big time, we have massive momentum behind us, and I for one am genuinely excited about the future of EVE Smile

I believe him.

Next expansion is going to be Glorious.

I hope they T1 Balance Cruisers against Battlecruisers. I am tired of there role being Cruisers... but better.
Ten Bulls
Sons of Olsagard
#8 - 2011-11-29 21:25:22 UTC
They did lots of little changes in 6 weeks, but the previous 18 months wasnt a complete waste, they did do some important changes "under the hood".

Not that i can remember them, but the inventory one was big i think, going to 64 bit ids probably made it possible for some of there "little fixes".

Its all about balance CCP, i hope you dont swing the other way now.
Raid'En
#9 - 2011-11-29 21:31:39 UTC
Dbars Grinding wrote:
it takes 3 years to make some new ships and new backgrounds to fly in.

yeah don't forget part of the content was already on developement since a while, and they only finished it to release here.
if all the little things took a very short time, most of the graphical things took way longer.

i feels like the OP however...
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#10 - 2011-11-29 21:40:21 UTC
Blame Carbon.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#11 - 2011-11-29 21:46:02 UTC
Gogela wrote:
Sometimes stars are in derpy positions. Space is big. It can be confusing. I for one am trying to train myself to navigate by the stars. That seems like a fun new game to me in and of itself.

Indeed. As an explorer, I am hopeful that we can learn to navigate our paths more effectively by simply looking around space rather than pulling up the star map. That would be something very interesting.

"Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not." - Citan Uzuki, Xenogears

Takashi X2
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2011-11-29 21:52:02 UTC
Rong Targets wrote:
http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3211

So this whole expansion only took CCP 4-8 weeks to do, I remember that is when Helmer actually wrote his apology letter. This have me both worried and happy.

Happy: This is one of the best expansion release in a long time, and all of this only took them about 2 month of development, think what would be possible if CCP really focus their attention into eve online, I used to think CCP's coder are morons because everything they write are broken or useless, but now I am impressed at what they can do.

Unhappy: So if this thing only took 2 month to develop, then that means during the past years with all the ****** expansion after ****** expansion they are only putting a fraction of their resource back into the game EVE Online, which means they are only putting a small fraction of our paying subscription money into the game that we are paying. Just imagine if they had actually invested back into the game that is the company's only money maker what a amazing world EVE Online would actually be today?


Developement doesnt nessesarliy include things like testing or final polishing. Also pre planning before developement and other stuff takes time too. Actualy developement time doesnt nessarily include everything from begining to end.
Rong Targets
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2011-11-29 22:47:08 UTC
CCP Soundwave wrote:
Dierdra Vaal wrote:
I, too, am looking forward to this release which is filled with many fun and useful features! :D

I do have some questions...

Quote:
We had about 4-6 weeks of actual development time to put this release together


I thought Eve expansions came out in cycles of 6 months (roughly), so that figure seems unexpectedly low. I would expect a figure closer to 20 weeks (5 months or roughly 5x4 weeks)?
* What was the other time spent on?
* If this was the result of a 'last minute' change after/around the recent layoffs will the summer expansion contain about four times as much spaceship content since you'll have the full 6 months?

And hoping against hope and my own common sense, any chance you can shed light on plans for the summer expansion? :P


Regarding time spent, we worked on two other projects which were put on hold/scrapped due to various reasons, but the chief one being the change in direction for EVE (back to FiS).

Can't promise you x quantity of stuff, just that we'll continue to do this stuff :)


I cannot link another page on the forum basically. Look at the last post made by CCP Soundwave, they actually took people away that were working on other projects to eve, that still mean they were focusing on eveonline rather intensely during this 4-8 would I would say. That also means once this is over, Dust and WoD will still receive the majority of the investment unfortunately.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2011-11-29 23:20:01 UTC

That's bullshit.

Most of this things was being worked on for MONTHS !
It all started way before Incarna already!

Remember when it was said they hired a new artist guy, for example.
Remember the teams that got mentioned that did whatever stuff,
but we actually never have seen any of that ... for example.


This was pretty much timed like this anyway,
it's just the context that changed.

Or do you REALLY believe they did ALL THIS in a few weeks ?
Crowd Control Production controls your mind, then.

They just plugged the expansion together in a few weeks,
but all this stuff was being worked on for most of this year already.

It's almost hilarious, but actually really sad,
to see people being so unreasonable.


Anyway ...

CCP ... Working as intended. :)
DarkAegix
Acetech Systems
#15 - 2011-11-29 23:27:09 UTC
Carbon - Basically the conversion of EVE to a different language.
It was effectively completed with Incarna, and even worked on by the WoD people.

Before Carbon, a change in the thickness of a line on the overview would make all ships purple and Drakes fire Aeons instead of missiles.

Now that Carbon's done, CCP can add and change things without bug-testing every single thing in EVE. Simply shifting a team of devs over to EVE hasn't given us all of this great stuff: Carbon has.
Kuronaga
Fatal Absolution
#16 - 2011-11-29 23:43:22 UTC
So CCP only works on content 3 out of the 12 months of the year? Wow that's more time off than teachers get.