These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

CSM Campaigns

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Manfred Sideous for [CSM9]

First post First post
Author
Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#81 - 2014-02-26 16:23:39 UTC
I will get to these questions here soon™ just been a busy few days. Just deployed PL and started combat ops so I've been a little busy getting that all sorted .

@EveManny

https://twitter.com/EveManny

Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#82 - 2014-02-27 16:11:31 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
Manfred Sideous wrote:
No new questions today whats up community?

Well this one was originally aimed at Mynnna due to him being more indy type, but I would like to hear a reply from all CSM delegates:
Marlona Sky wrote:
mynnna wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:
How do you feel about the teleportation mechanics?
I feel that they're only part of a bigger picture and so while many, perhaps even all, likely need to be reigned in to one degree or another, considering them in isolation from that bigger picture is folly. I can probably elaborate a bit when I'm not on my lunch break, if you like.

I agree. They are all intertwined. Makes answering only a specific part difficult. How about something a bit different.

EVE is very much about building sand castles and knocking them over. The sandbox. While knocking them down is amazing, the satisfaction is limited to how impressive the sand castles can be. So can you talk a bit how you envision what can be added and improved on to allow players to make amazing sand castles in EVE?


The sov system needs more depth. There is so much we could do with ihub upgrades or system add on and defensive structures to augment the player experience. Outpost should be more customizable with greater control for owners on things like factory lines copy and research slots and market control. However at the same time everything should be destructible and/or interruptible the new hacking mini-game is perfect for this. Imagine small gangs hacking market services and shutting them down or siphoning off isk through a worm or trojan they plant. Imagine hackers hacking the ihub disabling the pirate upgrades or cyno jammer upgrade. This would give incentive for more small gang roaming that can do meaningful things to targets without Grinding EHP of station services that are broken and bugged for literally YEARS.


This in turn gives incentives for defensive gangs to interdict roaming/hacking gangs. Also once something has been hacked it would need to be ~unhacked to restore the service. The idea is give players more control over their space more customization options but at the same time create more incentives for roaming gangs. Create more opportunity for harassment and in-turn give more reasons for defense fleets to patrol space. It would be hilarious to see gangs going through undefended unused space and hacking things like jumpbridges etc. In Nullsec the barrier to grow block level strat Fleet Commanders is so high. We need to give more reasons for guys/girls to form fleets and get out their and get the experience needed to develop as a fleet commander. It always starts as a roaming gang or small defense fleet FC.

@EveManny

https://twitter.com/EveManny

Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#83 - 2014-02-27 16:27:13 UTC
Angry Mustache wrote:
Would you rather fight 1 dbrb sized laz or 10 laz sized dbrb?

Serious question.

What do you think should be the proper "sp limit" and barriers on players entering nullsec. There's multiple facets to this - How useful should new players be in fleets? How much sp should they have before they become combat effective? Should they be able to support themselves without the charity of their corp/alliance mates?

On a related note, it's apparent that sov null pilots need a lot of alts to function properly. Is this a problem? And does this "alt requirement" pose too much of a problem to players looking into sov-null.



There shouldn't be a barrier and there isn't one. A tackling rifter is was and always will be a valuable addition to any fleet anytime anywhere. I was tackling for a fleet full of battleships when I was a fresh n00bie on my first day into nullsec. It was a meaningful role for me as I recall. I remember being enthralled by the entire experience and completely overwhelmed by the scope of the battle unfolding around me. Being cheered on by my corp mates as I landed a tackle with my little rifter on a giant behemoth Apocolypse Tech 2 fitted battleship.


There should be many factors that play into PVP. Skill , Skillpoints , Experience , Doctrine , Numbers , Tactics . In a balanced environment any of those previously stated factors should/could be the decider in a event or fight but none of them should be the IWIN button. You ask should new players be able to support themselves and I say yes absolutely. When I came to Nullsec there was no such thing as SRP ( ship replacement program AKA socialized alliance subsidies). Players provided their own combat ships corps and alliance role was to provide the logistic backbone for seeding markets and offering discounted hulls and modules via powerbuying and/or in-house production. I can recall NPC hunting in groups not because of social aspects but because we were little n00bies and we needed 3-4 of us to down a battleship NPC. We would have 1 guy with a tank setup to get aggro 1 guy to remote rep and 2 guys to do dps. It was exciting getting that wallet flash for 250k isk ( ZOMGS THATS LIKE 5 RIFTERS WORTH OF ISK ZOMGS I CAN PVP FOREVER WOOHOO).


In regards to your question about alts it is quite the nature of the beast of this game especially if you are a capital pilot and god forbid a supercapital pilot. However at the end of the day CCP is a capitalist business and I don't see them making changes that greatly effects their bottom line. They absolutely support the idea of alts you can see this in their marketing schemes "Power of Two" and so on. So as much as I would like to say yes this is a pain I don't see them changing it and I currently have in excess of 50 accounts. I alternate on which are active at any given point based off what I am doing at the time or can afford.

@EveManny

https://twitter.com/EveManny

Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#84 - 2014-02-27 16:28:26 UTC
Veskrashen wrote:
Thanks for responding to my earlier question, and I like your take on risk / reward (even though I personally feel that sov null can be pretty riskless the majority of the time).

Regarding "carrots" - do you think people don't live in sov null because there aren't enough incentives, or is it because it's too easy to "own" sov null and live / work in empire? Compare it to wormholes, for example. There's an entire swath of people who live and base out of wormholes - with all the logistical hassle and lack of convenience that implies - even though the rewards aren't significantly better than nullsec on a per-player basis. In spite of lacking stations, jump clones, jump freighters, etc - they still choose to live and work there.

The point being - if the rewards aren't significantly higher per player than in nullsec, why are wormholes occupied and sov null barren?

Is it truly a lack of "carrots" or is it that there's no reason to live there when they can access it at will?



Saving this one so I can answer it as a self-serving bump heh NOMADPLEASE

@EveManny

https://twitter.com/EveManny

Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#85 - 2014-02-27 17:16:09 UTC
you said that you see lowsec as some kind of industrial region for eve. can you elaborate a bit more on that ?

if you have farms in 00, why transport ressources to lowsec if you could just build in nullsec ?

i always see lowsec as a place where most things are possible, but with profitability, risk and most importantly commitment somewhere between highsec and nullsec.
Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#86 - 2014-02-27 18:03:56 UTC
Gilbaron wrote:
you said that you see lowsec as some kind of industrial region for eve. can you elaborate a bit more on that ?

if you have farms in 00, why transport ressources to lowsec if you could just build in nullsec ?

i always see lowsec as a place where most things are possible, but with profitability, risk and most importantly commitment somewhere between highsec and nullsec.



If you think of Nullsec its like a rural area where you see farms and fields mines and logging operations. Usually in rural areas you have some industry and commerce to serve the indigent population. However the Resources get transported to production centers usually industrialized areas this is what lowsec represents to me. In lowsec you would see mining and things of that nature as well as commerce but perhaps lowsec stations have the most efficient and fastest factories because its the industrial zone. However industrial zones make great places for extortion and for the "families" to control the space and get paid protection money. When I say families I refer to the Racial Militias. What if Amarr FW not only had a vested interest in controlling more low security space but also a protected interest in protecting logisticians and industrialist that pledge fealty or purchase protection from the "Family" aka Faction.


Whereas high security space is like your urban centers where you would expect to see science and technology and your market centers. I mean you would still see factories here you would still see mining but there are other more efficient/profitable areas to do that in. However for invention copy/research High security is the best places for that. A larger influx of good and minerals creates a more vibrant and competitive marketplace. Perhaps in high security space you are able to pay lower broker fees and able to have more market orders and perhaps you are able to control and make changes to your market orders at a greater range then other areas.



The overall concept should be that all activities should be possible anywhere but some areas certain activities make the most sense due to societal norms or just giant carrots. But if we get each area of the game interdependent on each other it makes for a much more vibrant and dynamic gaming experience.

@EveManny

https://twitter.com/EveManny

Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#87 - 2014-02-27 19:52:31 UTC
i must say that i am not really convinced by that. if you split ressource gathering, research and manufacturing you make a lot of people very unhappy. transport is boring.

i see more potential in keeping the steps together and giving people options where they can choose how much risk they are willing to take

it works great for PI, but not so great for pretty much every other industry activity

high - low - NPC 00 - Sov 00 - wormholes
Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#88 - 2014-02-27 20:14:03 UTC
Gilbaron wrote:
i must say that i am not really convinced by that. if you split ressource gathering, research and manufacturing you make a lot of people very unhappy. transport is boring.

i see more potential in keeping the steps together and giving people options where they can choose how much risk they are willing to take

it works great for PI, but not so great for pretty much every other industry activity

high - low - NPC 00 - Sov 00 - wormholes


On the other hand, there could be ways to incentivize things to bias it that way.

For example, if you changed the cost per unit time and job initiation fees for high sec factory slots to a model akin to office rents, that would instantly change the dynamics of high sec manufacturing. Once you do that, prevent factory modules from being anchored at high-sec POSes, and all of the sudden you have a big reason so shift your manufacturing to low sec. The logistical hurdles could well be justified by the better margins, especially if the high sec stations saw a reduction in manufacturing lines.

You could justify this in any number of ways, lore wise - stations charging in proportion to demand, higher safety standards for high sec meaning they want control over moon-based manufacturing, etc etc etc.

You could pair this with an increase in research and copy slots in high sec, possibly converting some of the factory slots to research slots instead. POS-based research modules could be unaffected in high sec as well.

This would create your bias towards research in high sec, and manufacture in low sec, without removing the option for either. It could also potentially foster better markets and item availability in low sec, which would further make those areas attractive.

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

Speedkermit Damo
Invicta.
#89 - 2014-02-28 11:01:53 UTC
Manfred Sideous wrote:
The sov system needs more depth. There is so much we could do with ihub upgrades or system add on and defensive structures to augment the player experience. Outpost should be more customizable with greater control for owners on things like factory lines copy and research slots and market control. However at the same time everything should be destructible and/or interruptible the new hacking mini-game is perfect for this. Imagine small gangs hacking market services and shutting them down or siphoning off isk through a worm or trojan they plant. Imagine hackers hacking the ihub disabling the pirate upgrades or cyno jammer upgrade. This would give incentive for more small gang roaming that can do meaningful things to targets without Grinding EHP of station services that are broken and bugged for literally YEARS.


This in turn gives incentives for defensive gangs to interdict roaming/hacking gangs. Also once something has been hacked it would need to be ~unhacked to restore the service. The idea is give players more control over their space more customization options but at the same time create more incentives for roaming gangs. Create more opportunity for harassment and in-turn give more reasons for defense fleets to patrol space. It would be hilarious to see gangs going through undefended unused space and hacking things like jumpbridges etc. In Nullsec the barrier to grow block level strat Fleet Commanders is so high. We need to give more reasons for guys/girls to form fleets and get out their and get the experience needed to develop as a fleet commander. It always starts as a roaming gang or small defense fleet FC.



This!!!!

This is why I'll be voting for you. Roaming needs to be a thing again.

Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.

SIR PRIME
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#90 - 2014-02-28 11:14:59 UTC
Veskrashen wrote:
Gilbaron wrote:
i must say that i am not really convinced by that. if you split ressource gathering, research and manufacturing you make a lot of people very unhappy. transport is boring.

i see more potential in keeping the steps together and giving people options where they can choose how much risk they are willing to take

it works great for PI, but not so great for pretty much every other industry activity

high - low - NPC 00 - Sov 00 - wormholes


On the other hand, there could be ways to incentivize things to bias it that way.

For example, if you changed the cost per unit time and job initiation fees for high sec factory slots to a model akin to office rents, that would instantly change the dynamics of high sec manufacturing. Once you do that, prevent factory modules from being anchored at high-sec POSes, and all of the sudden you have a big reason so shift your manufacturing to low sec. The logistical hurdles could well be justified by the better margins, especially if the high sec stations saw a reduction in manufacturing lines.

You could justify this in any number of ways, lore wise - stations charging in proportion to demand, higher safety standards for high sec meaning they want control over moon-based manufacturing, etc etc etc.

You could pair this with an increase in research and copy slots in high sec, possibly converting some of the factory slots to research slots instead. POS-based research modules could be unaffected in high sec as well.

This would create your bias towards research in high sec, and manufacture in low sec, without removing the option for either. It could also potentially foster better markets and item availability in low sec, which would further make those areas attractive.


I'm guessing you're not a large scale industrialist as your idea doesn't work in practice and will simply alienate most of the producers in game.

You do not "incentivize" people by increasing costs and forcing them to spread themselves further away from their buying and selling locations.

As a large scale producer over a long period (and allegedly a market manipulator) the idea that buyers will pay a premium because the producer has a variable cost is just not born out by hard market data. There is also currently NO reason to produce any item except carriers, dreads and rorquals in low sec for the simple reasons that materials to build are not there and neither are sellers...plus risks are huge. To counter that would require a huge increase in margins so you'd even alienate buyers.
Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#91 - 2014-02-28 15:24:53 UTC
SIR PRIME wrote:
I'm guessing you're not a large scale industrialist as your idea doesn't work in practice and will simply alienate most of the producers in game.

You do not "incentivize" people by increasing costs and forcing them to spread themselves further away from their buying and selling locations.

As a large scale producer over a long period (and allegedly a market manipulator) the idea that buyers will pay a premium because the producer has a variable cost is just not born out by hard market data. There is also currently NO reason to produce any item except carriers, dreads and rorquals in low sec for the simple reasons that materials to build are not there and neither are sellers...plus risks are huge. To counter that would require a huge increase in margins so you'd even alienate buyers.


You're right, I'm not an industrialist. To the point where I donated my Malediction BPO to my corp back in the day, and sold the Guardian BPO I had. Really kind of kick myself for that these days, but them's the breaks.

I know that this will make things more difficult for large scale producers, but I doubt this will really make it more difficult to get things to market. There's already plenty of freighter services about to render the problem of moving stuff around pretty irrelevant.

I also am pretty sure that folks won't mind paying more for their mods / ships / etc. Ships get more expensive, people still buy them. Mods get more expensive, people still buy them. Any increased cost can and would be pushed to the customer.

Finally, I disagree that folks would avoid lowsec. If there's sellers in lowsesc, there will be buyers. I live full time in lowsec, and if there was a robust enough market in Vlillirier that I could ignore Jita, I'd biomass my alt there in a heartbeat. If you build it, they will come. If there's an incentive to do it, EVE players will find a way to leverage it. If the advantages to manufacturing in lowsec, in spite of the risk of loss and logistical challenges, are enough to give a savvy player an edge over the high sec guys who are too lazy to move - there will be folks who do it.

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#92 - 2014-03-01 01:34:13 UTC
Quote:
I also am pretty sure that folks won't mind paying more for their mods / ships / etc. Ships get more expensive, people still buy them. Mods get more expensive, people still buy them. Any increased cost can and would be pushed to the customer.


i can assure you that that's not the case. there are people out there who are happily producing things at a loss of more than a million ISK/hr. and judging from their sell orders they own tens of billions in ISK. and i am not talking about ships with extra materials here
Hendrick Tallardar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#93 - 2014-03-01 17:39:39 UTC
Manny, the people are dying to know the following questions:

Do you like WAFFLES.?

Do you like Pancakes?

Do you like French Toast?

Can you wait to get a mouthful?
Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#94 - 2014-03-01 19:36:54 UTC
Hendrick Tallardar wrote:
Manny, the people are dying to know the following questions:

Do you like WAFFLES.?

Do you like Pancakes?

Do you like French Toast?

Can you wait to get a mouthful?


I can confirm I like all of the above bathed in generous amounts of steamy delicious syrup.

@EveManny

https://twitter.com/EveManny

Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#95 - 2014-03-02 21:10:32 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Will likely be at the top of my list due to extensive game knowledge and love of Eve.



Thanks for the support

@EveManny

https://twitter.com/EveManny

Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#96 - 2014-03-03 18:06:52 UTC
Gilbaron wrote:
Quote:
I also am pretty sure that folks won't mind paying more for their mods / ships / etc. Ships get more expensive, people still buy them. Mods get more expensive, people still buy them. Any increased cost can and would be pushed to the customer.


i can assure you that that's not the case. there are people out there who are happily producing things at a loss of more than a million ISK/hr. and judging from their sell orders they own tens of billions in ISK. and i am not talking about ships with extra materials here



There are lots of things that can be done. People tend to cling to what they are comfortable with. However some change is needed and as long as its approached correctly with taking all parties into consideration it can be a positive thing.

@EveManny

https://twitter.com/EveManny

Hendrick Tallardar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#97 - 2014-03-03 19:33:50 UTC
Thank you for answering Manny, I look forward to reading your responses and you are most assuredly high on the list of candidates that would do a wonderful job.
Aineko Macx
#98 - 2014-03-03 19:52:02 UTC
Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#99 - 2014-03-03 21:50:11 UTC
How do you intend for industry to take place in null sec with out them just being a big target, because unless you pvp even a passerby is a target for others there. out side of you joining that group that holds the low sec and producing only for them its not that big of a market to be had. Besides eve promotes multiple accounts which causes many to be independent of others.

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#100 - 2014-03-03 22:22:28 UTC
Agondray wrote:
How do you intend for industry to take place in null sec with out them just being a big target, because unless you pvp even a passerby is a target for others there. out side of you joining that group that holds the low sec and producing only for them its not that big of a market to be had. Besides eve promotes multiple accounts which causes many to be independent of others.



If and I say if CCP nerf power projection like they intend too. Industrialist and miners would be SO SO important in null sec. Alliances and members will have a vested interest in ensuring that a good environment is maintained so industrialist and miners can carry out their jobs. That is a exciting nullsec to me ( creating a true community with essentially hunters , gatherers , soldiers ) all working in union because they need eachother.

Lowsec is even easier so you could purchase protection from the 4 races. Whereby Faction warfare players would all get a cut of . So you see you pay your extortion money and for it the Faction Warfare guys protect you. Because as you use factory lines in their space you improve the FW index's that they draw other benefits from. It also encourages them to take other space from other factions. Especially those lucrative systems with high-sec connections. If a faction warfare guy shoots you or participates in a kill of a paying customer they take devastating faction standing hits.



In both places the idea is to get people working together doing things and others trying to take what you have because they want it. In both areas you would make it extremely lucrative for productionist / miners to operate there. The giant carrot strategy. I guarantee it if you can make x % more in low security space then high security after you factor in the risk of loss you would do it and the same goes for null security . Lets not even mention that it would make the game better having increased interaction between players and dynamic dependency .


IMHO CCP should always be looking at things how can we make this more balanced more dynamic and immersive. This is a sandbox mmo with a real and vibrant economy.

@EveManny

https://twitter.com/EveManny