These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

Eve technical progress

First post First post
Author
Noxisia Arkana
Deadspace Knights
#21 - 2014-01-22 21:43:35 UTC
Felicity Love wrote:
... gets moar cheese... and those little shrimp-flavoured crisps...



Ish, Shrimp chips. *Shudder*

Also, EvE has done a pretty good job of letting people know where they are going. Honestly, I don't see the point of looking beyond the next expansion as a player since anything outside of 6 months is incredibly fuzzy and changes pretty frequently.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2014-01-22 21:49:18 UTC
My daughter says the problem is they need to run it on an iPad, oh and she also says it should be able to run as a Facebook app like Candy Crush.
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#23 - 2014-01-22 22:20:36 UTC
Caviar Liberta wrote:
I've read that tranquility is ran on 280 single core processors. I'm sure I'm repeating what someone has already said however, it would be nice if the memory and processor load could be shifted dynamically.


Veritas talked about this in his Fanfest 2012 presentation, which is great and chock full of information (and some player quotes that sound incredibly funny after HED-GP). The basic idea is to crank TiDi up to 0% to freeze the system, then make the move, then drop TiDi back where it would otherwise be.

Seems straightforward enough, and the dev blog linked upthread shows an important step that CCP has taken toward fully dynamic load balancing. Given that there is a lot of interconnected behavior between systems--wormholes, gates, cynos, fleets spread across multiple systems, and so on--I imagine that there are a truly diabolical number of edge cases to deal with. But they're clearly working on it.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Arsine Mayhem
Doomheim
#24 - 2014-01-22 22:58:27 UTC
lrn2C/C++
Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#25 - 2014-01-23 06:10:41 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
My daughter says the problem is they need to run it on an iPad, oh and she also says it should be able to run as a Facebook app like Candy Crush.


Haha, eve.. a app game that will be awesome!! Playing games on the toilet Lol
Radamant Nemess
Remnants of War
#26 - 2014-01-23 08:39:33 UTC
CCP, time to invest some dough in hardware..

i can fail at any speed you like

CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#27 - 2014-01-23 09:06:26 UTC
We (Team Gridlock) have a session with the CSM, about things relevant to this, tomorrow afternoon. I know nobody is going to give me any stars for suggesting that you read over the minutes, but it should be a good read and worth the wait.

So... not much of answers from me. But at least your thread gets a blue bar! Blink
KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#28 - 2014-01-23 10:22:22 UTC
Let's see - minutes.. so look for them in July?
CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#29 - 2014-01-23 10:29:17 UTC
Seeing as I asserted "they would be worth the wait" then you clearly want to wait as long as possible for them. As the longer you wait the more their worth rises! Blink

I don't know what else to say. I'd rather work on my technical improvements (read: post on forums) than offer to help with the meeting minutes. P
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#30 - 2014-01-23 10:37:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Debora Tsung
Crakachunky wrote:
Not a whine thread, but...


Failed before you finished the first sentence...

This is not a troll post, but...

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Kateryna I
Bean-shidh
The Nameless Alliance
#31 - 2014-01-23 10:51:16 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:
Seeing as I asserted "they would be worth the wait" then you clearly want to wait as long as possible for them. As the longer you wait the more their worth rises! Blink

I don't know what else to say. I'd rather work on my technical improvements (read: post on forums) than offer to help with the meeting minutes. P


I understand your desire to keep on working rather than reply on forums and stuff, but as someone else has pointed out general EVE population is kept in the dark most of the time on things down in the pipeline. It would be nice to get the road map visible for all things EVE.

Polish PVP corp looking for members to have some fun together. Join me! Check our KB

CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#32 - 2014-01-23 11:05:24 UTC
Kateryna II wrote:
understand your desire to keep on working rather than reply on forums and stuff, but as someone else has pointed out general EVE population is kept in the dark most of the time on things down in the pipeline. It would be nice to get the road map visible for all things EVE.


I know, and I'm not really trying to be facetious even though I clearly have a burning need to try and be funny all the time. Thing is that I'm just a programmer in Team Gridlock, I can't give you any infromation outside of that as it's not mine to give. But I can be extremely vague about what I'm doing because that is my work (not being vague.. but the stuff I'm being vague about). And what I am doing is relevant to the original post (not so much the links to my previous dev blogs though), and that's all I can currently say.

Now back to lose more of my already precious Sanity. o7
Crakachunky
Elite Mining Services
#33 - 2014-01-23 12:52:14 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:
We (Team Gridlock) have a session with the CSM, about things relevant to this, tomorrow afternoon. I know nobody is going to give me any stars for suggesting that you read over the minutes, but it should be a good read and worth the wait.

So... not much of answers from me. But at least your thread gets a blue bar! Blink



haha thank you for taking the time to reply and the blue bar :) it's good that all this is getting discussed. we can all appreciate that you just can't go undermining the people up top as well and start spilling secrets, thanks for the heads up on the minutes though will definitely be reading them
Aineko Macx
#34 - 2014-01-23 12:54:02 UTC
I miss the technical devblogs. But then again, the fact that the Python GIL is still holding eve back is hardly blog worthy...
Crakachunky
Elite Mining Services
#35 - 2014-01-23 12:54:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Crakachunky
Debora Tsung wrote:
Crakachunky wrote:
Not a whine thread, but...


Failed before you finished the first sentence...

This is not a troll post, but...


not a troll when you raise a valid if petty point, thus I find this a schrodinger's post, and both a successful and unsuccessful troll at the same time
Nicen Jehr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2014-01-23 15:47:16 UTC
jumping on the 'want more devblogs about servers and cores and technical improvements' bandwagon
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#37 - 2014-01-23 15:53:25 UTC
I would like them too. I've read the older ones too many times now.

Yes, they'll have a relatively low reader count, but think of how happy those readers will be!

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2014-01-23 19:06:30 UTC
Arsine Mayhem wrote:
lrn2C/C++


I learned C++ on a Sparq 2 machine with Solaris.
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2014-01-23 19:10:15 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:
Kateryna II wrote:
understand your desire to keep on working rather than reply on forums and stuff, but as someone else has pointed out general EVE population is kept in the dark most of the time on things down in the pipeline. It would be nice to get the road map visible for all things EVE.


Thing is that I'm just a programmer in Team Gridlock


And Patton was just a General at the D-Day invasion at Normandy beach right?

You might think you are "just a programmer" but you are the last step in a process.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#40 - 2014-01-23 19:20:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Plastic Psycho
Caviar Liberta wrote:
CCP Prism X wrote:
Kateryna II wrote:
understand your desire to keep on working rather than reply on forums and stuff, but as someone else has pointed out general EVE population is kept in the dark most of the time on things down in the pipeline. It would be nice to get the road map visible for all things EVE.


Thing is that I'm just a programmer in Team Gridlock


And Patton was just a General at the D-Day invasion at Normandy beach right?

You might think you are "just a programmer" but you are the last step in a process.

Actually, Patton *wasn't* a general at the D-Day invasion. He was in reserve in the UK, acting as a strategic decoy for the Germans.

http://www.generalpatton.org/D-Day/Patton_Dday.htm
Previous page123Next page