These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Is it worth it to put up a high sec research/manufacturing POS?

First post
Author
Groon Sheysen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-12-12 21:34:50 UTC
I'm a returning player. I took a a year off. Now that I'm back I'm finding it nearly impossible to get any research done with que that are over a month long. This has me thinking of setting up a high sec POS. Is it worth it?
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#2 - 2013-12-12 21:35:11 UTC
no
Galadriel Vasquez
Project Omega Industries
Evictus.
#3 - 2013-12-12 21:38:44 UTC
Miilla wrote:
no



It's correct unfortunately.

I have tin foil hat trained to 5.

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#4 - 2013-12-12 21:40:23 UTC
Galadriel Vasquez wrote:
Miilla wrote:
no



It's correct unfortunately.


I meant yes.
Cyber SGB
Mecha Enterprises Fleet
Federation Uprising
#5 - 2013-12-12 21:41:59 UTC
I've been considering it myself. However, I did find an area with wait times of only 2 to 5 days or so. I wasn't in a hurry all that much. So, I got in line.

The worth of a High Sec POS is in the eye of the beholder. If you have the isk flow to pay for it, then go for it, I say. It sure would defeat the hassle of waiting for research slots.

I write Kindle books. Visit my author page. http://amazon.com/author/sgbynum

Galadriel Vasquez
Project Omega Industries
Evictus.
#6 - 2013-12-12 21:43:07 UTC
Well if you mean Yes - you are wrong.

If the OP has access to null the sov benefit of fuel costs is exponentially better. If he does not want to go Null and put up a stick in hi sec - meh.

I have tin foil hat trained to 5.

I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#7 - 2013-12-12 21:45:16 UTC
It used to be years ago, had one then. Dunno about now though. Fuel is different, lots of ganking and so on. I suppose if you're doing a lot of research, then probably be worth it. I'd stick to manufacturing from NPC stations though. There are manufacturinslots out there, just have to be willing to travel to them.
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#8 - 2013-12-12 22:00:17 UTC
Yes.

No.

Maybe.

It depends.

It's also pretty easy to figure out the answer for yourself.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Sebastor Cane
The Outlet
#9 - 2013-12-12 22:06:16 UTC
If you do then the game stops being casual
Cyber SGB
Mecha Enterprises Fleet
Federation Uprising
#10 - 2013-12-12 22:40:51 UTC
Galadriel Vasquez wrote:
Well if you mean Yes - you are wrong.

If the OP has access to null the sov benefit of fuel costs is exponentially better. If he does not want to go Null and put up a stick in hi sec - meh.


The OP asked about highsec, not nullsec. So - meh.

I write Kindle books. Visit my author page. http://amazon.com/author/sgbynum

Ronny Hugo
Cyno Inc. Reactions
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2013-12-12 22:49:40 UTC
I have pondered the question myself, what stuff in addition to tower would be required? how much could be manufactured and researched in a POS?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#12 - 2013-12-12 22:55:05 UTC
Research? Yes.
Manufacturing? No.
Starfellow Hawke
Distant Light Syndicate
#13 - 2013-12-23 01:52:09 UTC
Can reactions be done in High Sec POS's?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#14 - 2013-12-23 02:37:40 UTC
Starfellow Hawke wrote:
Can reactions be done in High Sec POS's?

No.
Ambassador Crane
Hellhound Productions
#15 - 2013-12-23 03:27:34 UTC
It's fairly easy to find open slots for manufacturing.

For researching, I say yes. Better to have a POS.

HOWEVER, in high sec? no. Don't want to join a null bloc? No problem. Do as I did. Set up a POS in a class 1 wormhole with a high sec static. Most are unwilling to put in the effort it takes to kill a POS in a class 1 so it's relatively safe. Perhaps safer than in high sec. As long as you're manufacturing goods that can be transported in an industrial, you can add your manufacturing capabilities too (but I just use mine for researching.)

For me, I find it to be cheaper than a high sec POS and safer than a low sec POS. Only downside is your exits constantly changing.
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
Ronins
#16 - 2013-12-23 04:28:53 UTC
Train a covops and research in a quiet lowsec station.
Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#17 - 2013-12-23 04:34:42 UTC
Ambassador Crane wrote:
It's fairly easy to find open slots for manufacturing.

For researching, I say yes. Better to have a POS.

HOWEVER, in high sec? no. Don't want to join a null bloc? No problem. Do as I did. Set up a POS in a class 1 wormhole with a high sec static. Most are unwilling to put in the effort it takes to kill a POS in a class 1 so it's relatively safe. Perhaps safer than in high sec. As long as you're manufacturing goods that can be transported in an industrial, you can add your manufacturing capabilities too (but I just use mine for researching.)

For me, I find it to be cheaper than a high sec POS and safer than a low sec POS. Only downside is your exits constantly changing.


if you have research labs on such a pos, its actually fairly tempting, because the bpos can drop.

For highsec, all you need do is keep the research jobs short enough that in the event of a dec you can unanchor the labs and dickstar the tower without it feeling too much pain over the lost jobs.
Tiberius StarGazer
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#18 - 2013-12-23 07:22:38 UTC
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:
Train a covops and research in a quiet lowsec station.


This, lots of deep lowsec stations with hardly anyone using them.

You can use one for reaserch, but your burning ISK all the time. T2 production maybe, but again the increased costs in fuel in charters mean your margins are gonna be squeezed.
flakeys
Doomheim
#19 - 2013-12-23 14:42:56 UTC  |  Edited by: flakeys
Tauranon wrote:
Ambassador Crane wrote:
It's fairly easy to find open slots for manufacturing.

For researching, I say yes. Better to have a POS.

HOWEVER, in high sec? no. Don't want to join a null bloc? No problem. Do as I did. Set up a POS in a class 1 wormhole with a high sec static. Most are unwilling to put in the effort it takes to kill a POS in a class 1 so it's relatively safe. Perhaps safer than in high sec. As long as you're manufacturing goods that can be transported in an industrial, you can add your manufacturing capabilities too (but I just use mine for researching.)

For me, I find it to be cheaper than a high sec POS and safer than a low sec POS. Only downside is your exits constantly changing.


if you have research labs on such a pos, its actually fairly tempting, because the bpos can drop.

For highsec, all you need do is keep the research jobs short enough that in the event of a dec you can unanchor the labs and dickstar the tower without it feeling too much pain over the lost jobs.


If your gonna dickstar it then why unanchor the labs?Dickstars really rarely get attacked in high-sec and if you just put the labs offline you can go further with the research right where you 'paused' it after the threat is gone.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#20 - 2013-12-23 15:18:45 UTC
It's worth whatever it's worth to you. Just remember to stront your tower and if you get war decced, dismantle it and go do something else for a while.
12Next page