These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

After leaving Exploration for a while, then coming back to it...

Author
Jennifer Maxwell
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#1 - 2013-10-23 06:23:07 UTC
I've changed my opinion. I used to think that CCP didn't quite ruin, but certainly did a good job on making exploration not very fun anymore. The loot spew, the simplification of scanning, ect. But now that I come back to it after taking a break from the game, I find myself enjoying it more than I had before.

Sure, they did really crash the exploration market when they made scanning all but trivial. Now I need to spend more time exploring instead of making a good haul on a couple of sites. But as time goes on and people drift away from exploration, it makes things a bit better; the market is slowly recovering.

While I certainly don't appreciate having to chase after the stuff I just worked to get, it makes it much easier if you know what to look for and you do a little work before hand by scanning the container before hacking. Sure I've lost some good loot, but making smart, quick decisions and paying for sloppiness and indecision is a good mechanic.

Even the market crash makes sense; it forces players to take chances in lower security space if they want the good loot, Thereby making it safer and more profitable to explore in groups. Certainly a lone hacker can get by; I made about 150 million in two days of hacking (more if I hadn't screwed up a T2 BPC container), and today alone I made 180 million.

The much simplified scanning makes being a loner hard though. If you know how to effectively use the probes, the Dscan and the icons that appear in space then you can zero in on an explorer and pounce on them quickly. So either you get a group, or you get better.

When it comes to the mini-game... well, I've actually always liked it. Nothing new there. Though sometimes it really does just screw you no matter what rout you take, it is more often pretty fair. Only the most difficult containers in Null actually give me trouble, though the ones found in wormholes are still quite challenging.


So, after a good while of getting used to exploration, how do you feel about the new systems introduced in Odyssey?
GreenSeed
#2 - 2013-10-23 07:13:16 UTC
now that the rush is over and the people left doing are are the same ones doing it before, its more enjoyable. but still prices are far from recovering.

im a bit concerned about the warp changes with Rubicon, they will make low/null blitz scanning the only way of "doing it", so long as cargo scanners are still working as they are now...
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#3 - 2013-10-23 07:40:02 UTC
To be honest, I haven't tried it since the change. Used to do it a lot, but the stories and the baffling reasoning behind CCP's lets make people play in groups (loot spew) but make it all hinge on solo play (mini game) has really put me off.

Guess I should dust off my exploration ship and give it a go....

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Silvetica Dian
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2013-10-23 08:19:50 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
To be honest, I haven't tried it since the change. Used to do it a lot, but the stories and the baffling reasoning behind CCP's lets make people play in groups (loot spew) but make it all hinge on solo play (mini game) has really put me off.

Guess I should dust off my exploration ship and give it a go....


It most certainly is not a group game. If you cargo scan before the mini game you will see most likely 2-3 items you actually want to loot. You then have to remember the fairly simple guide as to what type of spew containers hold that item type and then u select those.
Once you get good at it you will take 1-5 of the moving boxes and ignore the rest. there is plenty of time to do this.
Your mistake was to listen to people whining on the forums from before this feature even came out and to have given them any credance whatsoever.

Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85

Buzz Madullier
The Essence of Nike
#5 - 2013-10-26 22:43:27 UTC
Silvetica Dian wrote:
Jint Hikaru wrote:
To be honest, I haven't tried it since the change. Used to do it a lot, but the stories and the baffling reasoning behind CCP's lets make people play in groups (loot spew) but make it all hinge on solo play (mini game) has really put me off.

Guess I should dust off my exploration ship and give it a go....


It most certainly is not a group game. If you cargo scan before the mini game you will see most likely 2-3 items you actually want to loot. You then have to remember the fairly simple guide as to what type of spew containers hold that item type and then u select those.
Once you get good at it you will take 1-5 of the moving boxes and ignore the rest. there is plenty of time to do this.
Your mistake was to listen to people whining on the forums from before this feature even came out and to have given them any credance whatsoever.


Yea for the easy ones...

Have you cargo scanned some of the relic sites? They have like 9+ different salvage items, 2-3 blue T2 salvage. Good luck getting all of them, or even half of them. They spew out like 10+ material and parts cans and some of them are junk cans.


All this roll of the dice random **** is kinda making me go nuts. I have had some be like 2 salvage parts and 1 BPC. It spewed out like 8 or so parts/material cans and I got the first 4 as junk. I gave up on those, got the ****** BPC no one wants (Capital T2 Astro Rig) and the other cans disappeared.

It's pretty frustrating. I liked it more when I didn't know what I would get and my ability to scan down sites.
Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-10-26 22:44:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarod Garamonde
Jennifer Maxwell wrote:
The loot spew?



Posting in an overt "I hate getting the loot bukake all over my face" thread....

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

    [#savethelance]
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#7 - 2013-10-26 23:39:03 UTC
The loot spill must die. I'm not a fan of the hacking mini game, mostly because it keeps on being referred to as a mini game and I don't like the direction this is taking eve in, I'm trying to learn to live with it though.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-10-26 23:49:49 UTC
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
The loot spill must die. I'm not a fan of the hacking mini game, mostly because it keeps on being referred to as a mini game and I don't like the direction this is taking eve in, I'm trying to learn to live with it though.



CCP, plz make hacking minigame harder, and make the loot bukake cans last half as long as current.
I am not even joking.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

    [#savethelance]
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#9 - 2013-10-26 23:57:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
For me, most of the fun in exploration was the exploring part where you use your advanced capsuleer skills and player skill to pinpoint targets that are hard to locate. It was like an obstacle course, with the satisfaction coming from overcoming a challenge which other people either couldn't or wouldn't overcome.

CCP took away the DSP single-probe inventory from the advanced explorers (it was essentially a perk of having astrometrics 5), and instead gave us the system overview which lets everyone see exactly where every signature is located. No longer do you need to plonk down a "discovery" constellation of probes: the discovery has been done for you. You now now which celestial to send your 4AU precision constellation to, and from there it's only a couple of scans until you have a 100% hit.

The new exploration model feels very theme-park-like. It's not all the way there yet since we don't have attendants waiting at the gates advising us to keep our limbs inside the ride at all time.

CCP have put ramps and stairs over all the obstacles in order to improve "accessibility". The fun has gone, because the fun was being able to do something that other people couldn't or wouldn't do.
Mnemosyne Gloob
#10 - 2013-10-27 03:02:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Mnemosyne Gloob
Jennifer Maxwell wrote:
the market is slowly recovering.


Is that so? All i see is prices going down.

[edit]The removal of DSPs (or what they were used for) was a good move, but instead they gave us signatures with easy to infer 'accuracy' (read signature size) for everyone. GG[/edit]
Dont UseYourAlt OnTheForums
Doomheim
#11 - 2013-10-27 03:29:43 UTC
Everything makes sense in the end.. all it takes is a little lube
Maliandra
Doomheim
#12 - 2013-10-27 06:29:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Maliandra
Exploration is not more enjoyable IMO. Theres no unknown therefore not even exploration.