These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Restoration Node in Data and Relic Sites hacking causes massive Lag

First post
Author
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#1 - 2013-09-03 14:55:43 UTC
With the current Odyssey version 1.1, when you hack a can in the sites and a Restoration Node appears, it is not possible to click several times on the node or any other node/defensive module and the game still recognizes the multiple clicks.

Instead, you have to wait until the restoration effect is applied to all the modules on the grid which can take up to several seconds depending on the number of other modules, restoration nodes and the PC hardware.

This lag makes the experience of the mini game a rather unpleasant one and it should be dealt with to revert it back to the pre.1.1 status.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Jane Rule
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2013-09-04 21:28:51 UTC
Confirm Sad
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#3 - 2013-09-05 15:26:33 UTC
A whole lot better now, but the lags are still noticeable when you click on undiscovered nodes. However, clicking on the Restoration Nodes themselves to destroy them, while other defensive modules are on the grid, is almost lag free now. :)

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

CCP Bayesian
#4 - 2013-09-06 08:51:38 UTC
So we made a change to fix a lot of complaints we had from people who just didn't notice what the Restoration Nodes were doing at all which was a bit exuberant in the amount of time it took to play the animation that shows it very clearly. I basically dropped that time by a lot.

There will always be some lag from your network latency to our servers as the server tells you the results of each click.

EVE Software Engineer Team Space Glitter

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#5 - 2013-09-06 10:00:49 UTC
Yes, there will be lag, but there was no lag at all before 1.1. I could click around on the grid with a Restoration Node (RN) and several other defensive modules (DM)and the mini game recognized all my clicks on other modules or not yet uncovered nodes. Now, even with the improvements from 1.1.1., I have to wait a little bit before I can click on another not yet uncovered node before the mini game (MG) recognizes the click.

Before 1.1(.1) , and without any defensive modules on the grid, you could click around on the grid quickly and the MG recognized these consecutive clicks. If there were several DM on the grid and also a Restoration Node, you could still click around and there was no noticeable lag at all. The clicking experience was just like if there was no RN effecting the grid.

Now, however, it takes a comparatively long time for the RN-effect to travel around the grid. It is in .1.1 better than in .1 but still not as good as in .0. Whatever change you implemented in 1.1, I don't understand why it was necessary or what it changed. There are people like me who don't click one node every minute where this introduced lag doesn't matter, but I rather quickly hurry over the grid to get to the gist, because I don't have the time to sit around in 00 or low and marvel the RN make my live even harder than it already does.

Unfortunately, there are only very limited amounts of suitable videos out there from before 1.1 to illustrate the problem. Take this one for instance:

Hacking Pre Odyssey

This guy clicks around on the grid quickly (aprox the speed that I usually employ), no noticeable lag at all).

Hacking Pre Odyssey with Restoration Node

Here we have the same vid, now with a RN and another module on grid. I at least don't notice any lag when he clicks on the other module, even tho the RN-effect is applied.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a personal foot of my pre-1.1 hacking experience, so this video is the closest I could find. But all in all, the pre-1.1 hacking experience was in my opinion a better and more enjoyable one when it RN were involved.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

MainTrain
Main's Moon Mining
#6 - 2013-09-06 11:47:18 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
Yes, there will be lag, but there was no lag at all before 1.1. I could click around on the grid with a Restoration Node (RN) and several other defensive modules (DM)and the mini game recognized all my clicks on other modules or not yet uncovered nodes. Now, even with the improvements from 1.1.1., I have to wait a little bit before I can click on another not yet uncovered node before the mini game (MG) recognizes the click.

Before 1.1(.1) , and without any defensive modules on the grid, you could click around on the grid quickly and the MG recognized these consecutive clicks. If there were several DM on the grid and also a Restoration Node, you could still click around and there was no noticeable lag at all. The clicking experience was just like if there was no RN effecting the grid.

Now, however, it takes a comparatively long time for the RN-effect to travel around the grid. It is in .1.1 better than in .1 but still not as good as in .0. Whatever change you implemented in 1.1, I don't understand why it was necessary or what it changed. There are people like me who don't click one node every minute where this introduced lag doesn't matter, but I rather quickly hurry over the grid to get to the gist, because I don't have the time to sit around in 00 or low and marvel the RN make my live even harder than it already does.

Unfortunately, there are only very limited amounts of suitable videos out there from before 1.1 to illustrate the problem. Take this one for instance:

Hacking Pre Odyssey

This guy clicks around on the grid quickly (aprox the speed that I usually employ), no noticeable lag at all).

Hacking Pre Odyssey with Restoration Node

Here we have the same vid, now with a RN and another module on grid. I at least don't notice any lag when he clicks on the other module, even tho the RN-effect is applied.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a personal foot of my pre-1.1 hacking experience, so this video is the closest I could find. But all in all, the pre-1.1 hacking experience was in my opinion a better and more enjoyable one when it RN were involved.



Second this. Finding it much slower and slightly frustrating with the lag on this. Wasn't sure of the cause, but 90% sure only getting lag during RN
CCP Bayesian
#7 - 2013-09-06 13:22:50 UTC
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll take this to the team and we'll revisit it quickly. I can see why the change we made for good reasons at one end has hurt you guys who are more capable with the hacking. I'll post back on Monday to say what we're going to do but I think a simple revert of this particular change might be the best bet.

EVE Software Engineer Team Space Glitter

Nicen Jehr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-09-06 13:37:01 UTC
maybe a brief green flash across all nodes affected by the RN, to denote HP numbers going up, and a brief red flash on whatever you click to denote HP numbers going down

or 'coherence' or w/e...
MainDrain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-09-06 15:32:44 UTC
Nicen Jehr wrote:
maybe a brief green flash across all nodes affected by the RN, to denote HP numbers going up, and a brief red flash on whatever you click to denote HP numbers going down

or 'coherence' or w/e...


Perhaps the colour change will make it more visible for all.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#10 - 2013-09-06 16:48:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll take this to the team and we'll revisit it quickly. I can see why the change we made for good reasons at one end has hurt you guys who are more capable with the hacking. I'll post back on Monday to say what we're going to do but I think a simple revert of this particular change might be the best bet.


Cool. I'm looking forward to it. Smile

Quote:
maybe a brief green flash across all nodes affected by the RN, to denote HP numbers going up, and a brief red flash on whatever you click to denote HP numbers going down

or 'coherence' or w/e...


Yeah, maybe the best solution.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Jane Rule
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2013-09-10 11:43:31 UTC
yaaay fast hacking is back thanks ccp ! Big smile
CCP Bayesian
#12 - 2013-09-10 13:55:29 UTC
Excellent. :)

EVE Software Engineer Team Space Glitter

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#13 - 2013-09-10 15:05:53 UTC
Yep, it's perfect again. Thanks for that. Big smile

Btw. this might be related to the today's fixes, but is it intended that it takes up to 5 seconds before the grid loads? When I start the hacker, the minigame window appears, but it's empty and only between 3-5 seconds later the grid appears in the window.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.