These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

TARANIS

Author
STSxLight
Blue Republic
RvB - BLUE Republic
#1 - 2013-07-01 13:31:22 UTC
Hello :) i want to ask you brave pilots about the taranis:) I have seen a lot of clips of people using it with great succes.

Idea I am interested in geting into a beast like the taranis using it in NULL dual prop in fleet fights, or solo separating tacklers.
Any good taranis pilots out there with some good advice?

Idea I also have started solo duo pvp in fw sistems for a few months now with great succes and a lot of deats of course(no links or implants) i was interested in a lowsec fit as well as people are fit different in lowsec than in null.

IdeaI saw a good atron fit with ab scram TD ancilar rep geting into a tight orbit with ab overheated working vs a lot of turret frigs, now as the taranis has a tracking bonus as well i was interested if someone used a similar fit in lowsec ?

LolI have fought in most t1 frig hulls and agains most t1 t2 and facion hulls as well. The thig is i like to fly t1 because they are underestimated all the time, a good executioner will get me triple the fights than a nice enyo. As people have now a very bad opinion about interceptorsi i feel like its the only t2 hulls that i like to try to provide the WTF factor of course:)

Any feedback is welcome and i am looking forward to die a lot in it :D

IdeaIf you feel generous i would like your opinion for the Ares and Raptor for both null and lowsec combat but my main focus is on the taranis.

o7 fly strange Pirate

"Oh, you think nullsec is your ally. But you merely adopted nullsec; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!"

my eve youtube channelĀ  http://www.youtube.com/user/stsxlight/videos

Grandma Squirel
#2 - 2013-07-01 14:15:47 UTC
For fleet fights, the Taranis isn't really a good choice, once you get past a few people, the role of the interceptor becomes more exclusively tackle, and its dps quickly becomes moot in favor of survivability. You want to be orbiting at 25-35km with bonuses, where its much less likely that you will be scrammed/webbed/dead, and for that you need the point range bonus. Its also not one of the faster ceptors, which is also important in a fleet situation.

Never flown the Ares, while the raptor is an acceptable fleet ceptor, the stiletto outperforms it in that role.
Vervz
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-07-01 14:33:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Vervz
I love my stiletto, its squishy if you havent got Navigation skills due to the nature of the beast (Speed tank) BUT its a hellava fun to fly when your doing 7KM/S and can close pretty much anything with enough balls/luck :).

Traversial is your friend.

DPS wise? Hmmmm You be better off with a AF, but if your hunting T1 frigs then it's a beast.


EDIT, ive also ready it could be worth putting an explosive res rig on for the inevitable warrior confrontation, I wish i had tried this at the weekend :).
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#4 - 2013-07-01 14:55:28 UTC
My advice would be to wait for it to get buffed..

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Grandma Squirel
#5 - 2013-07-01 14:59:26 UTC
Vervz wrote:
I love my stiletto, its squishy if you havent got Navigation skills due to the nature of the beast (Speed tank) BUT its a hellava fun to fly when your doing 7KM/S and can close pretty much anything with enough balls/luck :).

Traversial is your friend.

DPS wise? Hmmmm You be better off with a AF, but if your hunting T1 frigs then it's a beast.


EDIT, ive also ready it could be worth putting an explosive res rig on for the inevitable warrior confrontation, I wish i had tried this at the weekend :).


MSE on your tackle ceptor, increases your tank from tissue paper to a nice firm cardstock.
Chessur
Fweddit
Free Range Chikuns
#6 - 2013-07-01 15:30:41 UTC
The ranis, while good- has some flaws when it comes to fleet fights.

Personally my favorite interceptor for fleet work, is the malediction. With a disruptor, you're pretty much untouchable sitting at your point range.

However that is beside the point. The fact of the matter is this, interceptors are in a bad place right now. And if you really want to fly a frig in fleet fights, use a T1 frig. There really is no reason to use a T2 ceptor, because you will die- and you will die very frequently- unless you are using a long point / links on your ceptor. However if you are using a long point, your effectiveness is greatly decreased- because a long point is not in any way hard tackle on a target. You are essentially doing nothing to help your fleet mates out.

Now if you were to fit a scram- that would be a different story. That hard tackle is great for shutting down MWD's. However to get in scram range, you will also be getting very close to webs / neuts / scrams. Which will get you insta popped quite quickly.

Standard Dual Prop Solo Ranis:

[Taranis, Dual Prop Solo]
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

1MN Afterburner II
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I

Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
[empty high slot]

[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]

243 DPS w/ heat

Rigs are up to player pref, you have a few options with damage rigs / polycarbs ext.



As for solo frig action:

Best ships for solo frig PvP are the following:

Arty Wolf
Slicer
Rail DD

Because interceptors have yet to be buffed, they are struggling to keep up with the new stats the other frigs share. I personally would not choose an inty for solo PvP currently.

As for the ares / raptor-

This video has some nice raptor fights in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgUfxHwWBQg

As for the ares- It works ok i suppose as a long pointing fleet inty, but i would not try and PvP with it
Whitehound
#7 - 2013-07-01 16:26:51 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
My advice would be to wait for it to get buffed..

^^ This. The T1 frigates are too close to it to be worth the fun now.

It is still useful for getting a tackle with the help of logistics, because of its signature reduction bonus and T2 resistances:

[Taranis, Hero Tackle]

Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core II
200mm Reinforced Steel Plates II

Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I

Light Neutron Blaster II, Void S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Void S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Void S
[Empty High slot]

Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I
Small Anti-Explosive Pump I

Hobgoblin II x2

(250 DPS from blasters and drones, 5510 eHP total with 2670 eHP on armor.)

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

STSxLight
Blue Republic
RvB - BLUE Republic
#8 - 2013-07-01 16:57:43 UTC
Chessur wrote:
The ranis, while good- has some flaws when it comes to fleet fights.

Personally my favorite interceptor for fleet work, is the malediction. With a disruptor, you're pretty much untouchable sitting at your point range.

However that is beside the point. The fact of the matter is this, interceptors are in a bad place right now. And if you really want to fly a frig in fleet fights, use a T1 frig. There really is no reason to use a T2 ceptor, because you will die- and you will die very frequently- unless you are using a long point / links on your ceptor. However if you are using a long point, your effectiveness is greatly decreased- because a long point is not in any way hard tackle on a target. You are essentially doing nothing to help your fleet mates out.

Now if you were to fit a scram- that would be a different story. That hard tackle is great for shutting down MWD's. However to get in scram range, you will also be getting very close to webs / neuts / scrams. Which will get you insta popped quite quickly.

Standard Dual Prop Solo Ranis:

[Taranis, Dual Prop Solo]
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

1MN Afterburner II
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I

Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
[empty high slot]

[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]

243 DPS w/ heat

Rigs are up to player pref, you have a few options with damage rigs / polycarbs ext.



As for solo frig action:

Best ships for solo frig PvP are the following:

Arty Wolf
Slicer
Rail DD

Because interceptors have yet to be buffed, they are struggling to keep up with the new stats the other frigs share. I personally would not choose an inty for solo PvP currently.

As for the ares / raptor-

This video has some nice raptor fights in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgUfxHwWBQg

As for the ares- It works ok i suppose as a long pointing fleet inty, but i would not try and PvP with it


awesome vid :D +1

"Oh, you think nullsec is your ally. But you merely adopted nullsec; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!"

my eve youtube channelĀ  http://www.youtube.com/user/stsxlight/videos

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
Wild Geese.
#9 - 2013-07-01 17:11:48 UTC
Get an Atron and fit/fly it like Taranis. It has 80% of the effectiveness for a fraction of the cost. Fun to fly too!
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#10 - 2013-07-01 19:33:12 UTC

This is my favorite Ranis setup that I use for soloing....
[Taranis, Solo]
Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Small Armor Repairer II

Experimental 1MN Afterburner I
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I

Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Small 'Knave' Energy Drain

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I

Hobgoblin II x2

If you are looking for a good, dual prop setup, I highly recommend this:
[Taranis, Dual Prop]
Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core II
Small Armor Repairer II

1MN Afterburner II
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I

Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Small 'Knave' Energy Drain

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I


Hobgoblin II x2

Frankly, Neutron blasters are overrated, and the "increased on paper dps" they do is often offset by their loss in tracking (especially if you are orbiting a cruiser/BC/BS and need to kill drones!!!!).

Next, while you stated you were mainly attacking enemy interceptors, the NOS is a huge boost to your ship's survivability should you attacking and tackling any ship with a neut. I've solo'd vagabonds and hurricanes using a taranis, and that would NEVER be possible without that NOS!
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#11 - 2013-07-01 19:38:47 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Get an Atron and fit/fly it like Taranis. It has 80% of the effectiveness for a fraction of the cost. Fun to fly too!


Here's the cheaper AB Atron I'd recommend when practicing for the AB Ranis:
[Atron, CheapRanis]
Small Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

1MN Afterburner II
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator

Small 'Knave' Energy Drain
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I


and here's the cheap, dual prop atron fit:
[Atron, CheapDualPropRanis]
Small Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I

1MN Afterburner II
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I

Small 'Knave' Energy Drain
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I


STSxLight
Blue Republic
RvB - BLUE Republic
#12 - 2013-07-01 20:19:15 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:
Get an Atron and fit/fly it like Taranis. It has 80% of the effectiveness for a fraction of the cost. Fun to fly too!


Here's the cheaper AB Atron I'd recommend when practicing for the AB Ranis:
[Atron, CheapRanis]
Small Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

1MN Afterburner II
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator

Small 'Knave' Energy Drain
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I


and here's the cheap, dual prop atron fit:
[Atron, CheapDualPropRanis]
Small Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I

1MN Afterburner II
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I

Small 'Knave' Energy Drain
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I




hmm interesting ty for the info and explanation, ion's +nos to sustain the rep feels right, how about using a ancilar rep or will the t2 do fine ?:D

"Oh, you think nullsec is your ally. But you merely adopted nullsec; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!"

my eve youtube channelĀ  http://www.youtube.com/user/stsxlight/videos

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#13 - 2013-07-01 20:26:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Gizznitt Malikite
STSxLight wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:
Get an Atron and fit/fly it like Taranis. It has 80% of the effectiveness for a fraction of the cost. Fun to fly too!


Here's the cheaper AB Atron I'd recommend when practicing for the AB Ranis:
[Atron, CheapRanis]
Small Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

1MN Afterburner II
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator

Small 'Knave' Energy Drain
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I


and here's the cheap, dual prop atron fit:
[Atron, CheapDualPropRanis]
Small Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I

1MN Afterburner II
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I

Small 'Knave' Energy Drain
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I




hmm interesting ty for the info and explanation, ion's +nos to sustain the rep feels right, how about using a ancilar rep or will the t2 do fine ?:D


Actually, the AAR is easier to fit, gives more reps during your time of need, and would augment the ship better than the t2 repper in most cases... good catch!