These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

Eve consumes wrong disk space

First post
Author
nardaq
Orion Expeditions
#21 - 2013-06-16 21:46:02 UTC  |  Edited by: nardaq
Jup, u have to blame Microsoft (vista and higher) because of this, like seth Hendar explained.

/end /LUA:OFF is keeping all files beside chat/game logs and screen shots in the my docs/ccp folder and the rest in the game folder.
The "/end /LUA:OFF" option works mostly on XP due to this OS dont have this "all non static files can only be written in userland, in %userdir% or it's sub-folders." limitation

U can try to use /end /LUA:OFF and try set the eve (sub) folder the same as your My Docs folder. Try the security tab to fix write access (if you know how to do it)
seth Hendar
I love you miners
#22 - 2013-06-16 22:00:22 UTC
nardaq wrote:
Jup, u have to blame Microsoft (vista and higher) because of this, like seth Hendar explained.

/end /LUA:OFF is keeping all files beside chat/game logs and screen shots in the my docs/ccp folder and the rest in the game folder.
The "/end /LUA:OFF" option works mostly on XP due to this OS dont have this "all non static files can only be written in userland, in %userdir% or it's sub-folders." limitation

U can try to use /end /LUA:OFF and try set the eve (sub) folder the same as your My Docs folder. Try the security tab to fix write access (if you know how to do it)

no, do not blame MS for this, any OS should not allow any application that runs under user privileges to write anywhere but in a user folder.

as i explained in my previous post, this is also tue for macos or linux
Shpenat
General Defense Union
#23 - 2013-06-17 14:09:01 UTC
Thorian Crystal wrote:
Thanks for advice. Seems complicated. I am right, all data should go where I set them to go, not some other place that some other person wants them to go.

I just might consider changing to Mac.


I think our issue is with understanding the radical change in windows OS. From the start practically up to windows XP (ignoring NT line here) the windows was designed as single user system. It was operated by one user with administrative privileges. At that times any program could be placed in folder anywhere and was expected to keep everything inside that folder.

With the switch to multi user approach in windows vista this approach changed. Now the user does not and should not have a right to write to the static folders where the static data should be located. This is to protect those data from unauthorized modification. So EvE and any game now can expect that it will not be able to write to its basic folder without proper privileges. There is a proper location in user "home" folder where those temporal data should go for each user.

Unfortunately for windows it does not have a flexibility of *nix systems. It puts those "home" folders on C drive without even asking you. It is up to you to move them anywhere later by yourself (and with limited flexibility).


In short. EvE puts its files exactly where it is supposed to.


oh and backing up the cache instead of deleting it is horrible practice.

Thorian Crystal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#24 - 2013-06-17 15:37:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Thorian Crystal
Shpenat wrote:
In short. EvE puts its files exactly where it is supposed to.


Wrong. Horribly wrong. The correct place to put files is where I, the owner of this machine, say where the files will go.

If Microsoft says that hey lets make it so that files go over here instead, then that is not good enough a reason to put the files there, as I, the owner of this machine, have decided otherwise. CCP does not own this computer. Microsoft does not own this computer. So if they decide to override my decision of the location of the files, then they are effectively putting the files into a totally wrong place. There are no other correct places than the place I decide, because it is my computer and therefore I can move the files where ever I like, and as well the files could and should go there automatically.

So CCP doesn't put the files into the correct place. But they are putting the files into a wrong place! I mean, instead of nothing happening, they dump files where they don't have any permission to dump the files to.

Sure, if I didn't care where the files should go, then the operating system can choose. But, I have installed the program into a certain location and I have not given any other permissions, so CCP is putting the files into a wrong folder. And not only into a wrong folder, but into a wrong disk drive. And the wrong disk drive is also a big issue here as the C is running out of space.

Shpenat wrote:
oh and backing up the cache instead of deleting it is horrible practice.


Yeah. The biggest problem here is that the cache history consumes so much disk space in a place, where it shouldn't be in the first place.
Shpenat
General Defense Union
#25 - 2013-06-18 08:28:37 UTC
You are mistaken in one point. By telling the installer where to install the files you only specify where the static files should go. Not where all files should go. Since you did not tell EvE where the cache and other user specific data should go it uses the windows specific files.

People here were suggesting how to tell EvE to put their files elsewhere.

Btw you can safely delete the cache backup files. However you need to do it manually not using eve client.
seth Hendar
I love you miners
#26 - 2013-06-18 16:36:39 UTC  |  Edited by: seth Hendar
Thorian Crystal wrote:
Shpenat wrote:
In short. EvE puts its files exactly where it is supposed to.


Wrong. Horribly wrong. The correct place to put files is where I, the owner of this machine, say where the files will go.

If Microsoft says that hey lets make it so that files go over here instead, then that is not good enough a reason to put the files there, as I, the owner of this machine, have decided otherwise. CCP does not own this computer. Microsoft does not own this computer. So if they decide to override my decision of the location of the files, then they are effectively putting the files into a totally wrong place. There are no other correct places than the place I decide, because it is my computer and therefore I can move the files where ever I like, and as well the files could and should go there automatically.

So CCP doesn't put the files into the correct place. But they are putting the files into a wrong place! I mean, instead of nothing happening, they dump files where they don't have any permission to dump the files to.

Sure, if I didn't care where the files should go, then the operating system can choose. But, I have installed the program into a certain location and I have not given any other permissions, so CCP is putting the files into a wrong folder. And not only into a wrong folder, but into a wrong disk drive. And the wrong disk drive is also a big issue here as the C is running out of space.

Shpenat wrote:
oh and backing up the cache instead of deleting it is horrible practice.


Yeah. The biggest problem here is that the cache history consumes so much disk space in a place, where it shouldn't be in the first place.

no, you are wrong, the correct place for any application to write data is within the folder that are allowed by the privilege profile they run under.

in the eve case, it's user privilege, so it writes under the "user" folder.

however since it is YOUR computer, i suggest YOU learn how to configure it.

what you want to do is possible, but for security reason, is not the default behaviour.

several solutions exist to give you the result you expect, some were given to you for free (since it seems hard for you to ask google about it).

windows is behaving exactly how it should, you just fail to understand that.


also about permission, you installed static files, in a specific folder, you didn't changed the application permissions to write in said folder.

maybe you should search about the difference between files, process, right management etc... this would help you understand all this.


also, CCP / microsoft doesn't own your comp, but they own their own code (windows / eve online)

so THEY can decide WHERE they write (maybe you should read the windows / eve eulas.....)

or you know, switch to linux, there are many distro, some 100% free if you want, where you would be able to setup ANYTHING you want.
Thorian Crystal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2013-06-18 19:29:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Thorian Crystal
"You are mistaken in one point. By telling the installer where to install the files you only specify where the static files should go. Not where all files should go. Since you did not tell EvE where the cache and other user specific data should go it uses the windows specific files."

Wrong. I decided that all of the files should go to where I installed the program. If they put files elsewhere, well, I didn't tell them to so they are doing something else. I know that user folder is used for dynamic files because this and that, but I have not approved it. So I am right.

"Btw you can safely delete the cache backup files. However you need to do it manually not using eve client."

It is not my job to delete files that Eve creates all the time.

"no, you are wrong, the correct place for any application to write data is within the folder that are allowed by the privilege profile they run under."

I don't care about profiles. I decide a folder for an application. Well guess what? That is the folder for all of the application files. All of them. If something else is being done, I have not approved it.

"in the eve case, it's user privilege, so it writes under the "user" folder."

And by writing under user folder, Eve does something I have not approved.

"however since it is YOUR computer, i suggest YOU learn how to configure it."

No. I have already configured it by deciding the correct folder. If the computer puts files somewhere else, then the computer fails. It is not good to fail. Pure failurage noted.

"what you want to do is possible, but for security reason, is not the default behaviour."

If I decide to put files somewhere, the files should go there. I don't want to hear "configure this configure that".

"windows is behaving exactly how it should, you just fail to understand that."

Wrong. Windows should behave as I, the owner of this computer, say. Anything else is failing.

"also about permission, you installed static files, in a specific folder, you didn't changed the application permissions to write in said folder."

I installed the whole program into that folder. If the program doesn't go there, it is failing.

"maybe you should search about the difference between files, process, right management etc... this would help you understand all this."

I have full rights to this computer.

"also, CCP / microsoft doesn't own your comp, but they own their own code (windows / eve online)"

I don't care. If they fail, they fail. Failing is bad.

"so THEY can decide WHERE they write (maybe you should read the windows / eve eulas.....)"

I understand that Windows has certain characteristics and I know I have to live with that failing. But now I have written my opinion about it, as a tip how to listen to customers.

"or you know, switch to linux, there are many distro, some 100% free if you want, where you would be able to setup ANYTHING you want."

Yeah, that is one option.
Shpenat
General Defense Union
#28 - 2013-06-18 22:01:37 UTC
I will point out the statement that is wrong:

Thorian Crystal wrote:

I don't care about profiles. I decide a folder for an application. Well guess what? That is the folder for all of the application files. All of them. If something else is being done, I have not approved it.



All you did is you told the computer to store the static data into that folder. You did not tell him to store other data in that folder as well. A computer will do only what it is told to do. Since you did not specify the location for temporary files (I.E you did not tell your computer where to store the temporary files) it uses some predefined options.

Most installers are asking about the static files. Nothing more, nothing else.
Aethlyn
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2013-06-19 14:08:58 UTC
Quick and easy fix for your problems (you don't need additional downloads or anything).

Just start a command prompt (cmd.com) with administrative rights and type the following (Windows Vista/7/8):

move "%localappdata%\CCP" "G:\Eve Online\data" (replace the second path with the location where you want your cache/config files)
move "%userprofile%\Documents\EVE" "G:\Eve Online\data" (again, replace the second path with the location where you want your user files; i.e. screenshots, logs, and the like)

Once this is done repeat this steps using the following commands, again replacing the paths:

mklink /D "%localappdata%\CCP" "G:\Eve Online\data"
mklink /D "%userprofile%\Documents\EVE" "G:\Eve Online\data"

To revert the change, just delete the links created in place of the former folders.
The links created that way won't require any hard disk space (other than a few bytes meta data).

Looking for more thoughts? Follow me on Twitter.

Thorian Crystal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2013-06-19 16:32:59 UTC
Shpenat wrote:
I will point out the statement that is wrong:

All you did is you told the computer to store the static data into that folder. You did not tell him to store other data in that folder as well. A computer will do only what it is told to do. Since you did not specify the location for temporary files (I.E you did not tell your computer where to store the temporary files) it uses some predefined options.

Most installers are asking about the static files. Nothing more, nothing else.


Are you not able to read? If I say, that I want files to a specific location, I don't care at all about how the computer works. I have said the location for all of the files, and if the computer works so that it stores some files somewhere else for what ever reason, then the computer fails to fulfill what I said. If the installer is the culprit, then fine, blame the installer. But I have not talked anything about dynamic files while I installed the program, it was the installer or the computer. Not me, not anyone else here.
Jysella Halcyon
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2013-06-19 18:50:51 UTC
Obviously there's some confusion on a lot of levels here.

There are two broad categories of user accounts on all modern OS.

There are limited accounts. These accounts all have restrictions on where they can write to, read from, and what they can execute as code.

There are also unlimited accounts. These go by special names. *nix users call this "root" or sometimes "superuser". Windows and Mac call this Administrator. This account (and there is only one on a given OS install) can do literally anything it wants to. This is the account that says "del /f c: ("rm -rf /" for my linux friends)" and the computer does it without confirmation. This is the account that has base-level awareness of which keystrokes you are making and can write hidden files recording those and send them invisibly to anyone that your computer is connected to. This is the account that has the ability to Seriously Mess You Up.

On windows Vista and later, You have a limited account. It's limitations are as follows: Without confirmation of elevated priveleges, it may not write to folders outside of your user directory (C:\Users\YourName by default). It may not read the contents of other users directories (C:\Users\Spouse, C:\Users\Kids, C:\Users\Dog). Without elevation, it may not run code from a user directory.

What does this mean for you and Eve? It means that for your computer to do what you are asking it to do will require one of three things:
1) You run everything as the unlimited Administrator account. This is possible, though not recommended. If you are really gung-ho on it, go ask google. Yes, it will take some work. That's the point. THIS IS A REALLY DUMB IDEA ON AN INTERNET-CONNECTED COMPUTER.
2) You get a pop-up every time you have a session change in Eve, move a window, fit or refit a ship, buy or sell on the market, look at your assets, dock, undock, activate a module, open a container, loot a wreck, salvage...anything. Why? Because in order to keep track of that state, your limited account wants to write to someplace outside of your user directory. Every. Single. Time. Why? Because you told your computer to store settings someplace your account can't write to without getting elevated privileges.
3) You move your Eve files or your entire user directory to your special-snowflake Eve drive as has been said about a dozen times already. This is because it is the best way to do what you are asking.

:rant:
These are constraints and defaults of the Windows OS. They are shared by every other modern production OS. They are NOT the OS failing, they are the ways that OS programmers protect morons from themselves. The kinds of things that anyone with an inkling of sense doesn't want happening to their computer are in large part mitigated by these design choices. People who have an idea of how the most common malware gets into computers and enables things like identity theft actually think that these do not go far enough, but there are tradeoffs between security and usability. Your idiotic quest to complain about sensible defaults while ignoring the Very Simple Workarounds shows just how ignorant of good programming design you are.
:/rant:

If you hate that your computer doesn't do what you are proposing in an easier way, I have an honest suggestion for you.
Write your own. It'll have to run on bare hardware, so plan on writing drivers for input devices, ports, and output to screens. It'll have to handle fan operation, CPU clocking, Disk I/O, and memory management. It'll have to make and maintain a file system on that HDD. It'll have to deal with every little thing that goes on behind the scenes that you don't have to think about or even be aware of because you are the recipient of DECADES of continual OS development and improvement such that, by and large, your computer "Just Works".
seth Hendar
I love you miners
#32 - 2013-06-20 08:32:09 UTC
Thorian Crystal wrote:
Shpenat wrote:
I will point out the statement that is wrong:

All you did is you told the computer to store the static data into that folder. You did not tell him to store other data in that folder as well. A computer will do only what it is told to do. Since you did not specify the location for temporary files (I.E you did not tell your computer where to store the temporary files) it uses some predefined options.

Most installers are asking about the static files. Nothing more, nothing else.


Are you not able to read? If I say, that I want files to a specific location, I don't care at all about how the computer works. I have said the location for all of the files, and if the computer works so that it stores some files somewhere else for what ever reason, then the computer fails to fulfill what I said. If the installer is the culprit, then fine, blame the installer. But I have not talked anything about dynamic files while I installed the program, it was the installer or the computer. Not me, not anyone else here.

you seems to be the one that fail to understand that, when you change the install path, you only did changed the place where STATIC files are stored, NOT THE DYNAMIC ONES.

hence your comp just did exactly what you told him to do, no less, no more.

you also need to tell him to use another folder for DYNAMIC files.


and that'll be my last contribution, cause you clearly don't want to understand how a computer work anyway.
Thorian Crystal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#33 - 2013-06-20 16:37:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Thorian Crystal
Jysella Halcyon wrote:
Obviously there's some confusion on a lot of levels here.


There is no confusion here. If I install a program to a specific folder, I am constrainting the program to that specific folder. But no. Of course the computer doesn't constraint the program only to that specific folder, but takes the liberty of storing some of the files of the program to an another location in the name of so called security. Well, thanks to your security, I am running out of space in C instead of the program being constrainted nicely and safely into D:\Eve\ or such.

Jysella Halcyon wrote:
your computer "Just Works".


No, it doesn't.

seth Hendar wrote:
NOT THE DYNAMIC ONES


Please tell me, at which point I wanted my computer to store some of the files to an other location than the location I specified?

The answer is, that you fail to understand, that the computer fails to fulfill what I want. I don't want to tell the computer that yes please also the DYNAMIC files should go to this FOLDER THAT I SPECIFIED. I wouldn't be surprised, if I run out of something else too, because I have not told the computer to HANDLE IT!
Jysella Halcyon
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2013-06-20 17:04:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Jysella Halcyon
Thorian Crystal wrote:


There is no confusion here. If I install a program to a specific folder, I am constrainting the program to that specific folder.

Windows 95 called, it wants its security model back.

Quote:
But no. Of course the computer doesn't constraint the program only to that specific folder, but takes the liberty of storing some of the files of the program to an another location in the name of so called security. Well, thanks to your security, I am running out of space in C instead of the program being constrainted nicely and safely into D:\Eve\ or such.

It's called a DEFAULT setting because you can CHANGE it. The way to do so has been detailed multiple times in this thread. Use it, or stop complaining.

Quote:

No, it doesn't.

Way to pull it out of context, but I'll bite. Yes, it does. Here's why. You press the power button. Your computer loads up through a series of increasingly complex programs to a graphical environment that entirely hides that complexity from you. Using a computer in an intelligent way has NEVER BEEN EASIER THAN IT IS TODAY.
Exceptions made for morons who refuse to listen or learn, ofc.
Quote:

seth Hendar wrote:
NOT THE DYNAMIC ONES


Please tell me, at which point I wanted my computer to store some of the files to an other location than the location I specified?

The answer is, that you fail to understand, that the computer fails to fulfill what I want. I don't want to tell the computer that yes please also the DYNAMIC files should go to this FOLDER THAT I SPECIFIED. I wouldn't be surprised, if I run out of something else too, because I have not told the computer to HANDLE IT!


Yes, you have told it that. You know how? You installed Microsoft Windows on your PC. When you did that you told your computer to use the defaults in Windows until and unless you specifically say otherwise. As you have not said otherwise, you are implied to have told it to do exactly what it is doing. Changing these defaults is as simple as it needs to be and has been spelled out multiple times.

If you insist on being a luddite that is your choice, but please stop complaining when your computer does what you tell it to do, because computers - contrary to your obvious belief - do not think for themselves. In the absence of a hardware failure (may we be so lucky) a computer does PRECISELY what it is told to do and NOTHING else. By running this set of programs (OS, Eve, whatever else you have on the PC) you have told it to do EXACTLY what it is now doing. If you tell your dog to sit, do you also become irate when it sits and does not bring you the newspaper?
Thorian Crystal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2013-06-24 15:46:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Thorian Crystal
Jysella Halcyon wrote:
Windows 95 called, it wants its security model back.


When computer systems are improved, the systems should get improved. Ok, there came a new security model. But let me say this: Many people have complained about this specific annoyance, and many more will keep complaining. Why? Because a system is not perfect until there are no flaws in it. Technology isn't sufficiently advanced until it feels like magic. In this case the computer does what a computer does, the user wants something else, and when the user tells that he hasn't told the computer to fail, but the computer still fails, the user gets blamed. Well, think again.

Jysella Halcyon wrote:
It's called a DEFAULT setting because you can CHANGE it. The way to do so has been detailed multiple times in this thread. Use it, or stop complaining.


No. My idea was an improvement idea. Go and improve.

Jysella Halcyon wrote:
Using a computer in an intelligent way has NEVER BEEN EASIER THAN IT IS TODAY.


Looks like you are running out of mana.

Jysella Halcyon wrote:
Exceptions made for morons who refuse to listen or learn, ofc.


It is not about that I couldn't solve the problem. It is about that there shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Jysella Halcyon wrote:
If you tell your dog to sit, do you also become irate when it sits and does not bring you the newspaper?


Your example doesn't describe this issue. Here is a better example:

I tell my dog to sit. The dog sits, but all the dynamic parts of the dog are still running around.
seth Hendar
I love you miners
#36 - 2013-06-24 16:37:26 UTC
Thorian Crystal wrote:


It is not about that I couldn't solve the problem. It is about that there shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Jysella Halcyon wrote:
If you tell your dog to sit, do you also become irate when it sits and does not bring you the newspaper?


Your example doesn't describe this issue. Here is a better example:

I tell my dog to sit. The dog sits, but all the dynamic parts of the dog are still running around.

yes, some dog part, like it's heart, still move. you rather have it to stop?

and BTW, it would not be an improvement to do what you suggest, this would be a big regression regarding the safety of the operating system and it's resistance versus malicious process.

you are just talking about things you do not understand, and when explained to you, ignore all the explanation because they don't agree with the way you think it works.

fact is:

1- when you choose the path of installation, you choose where the static files while be stored, no changes to be done to the emplacement the dynamic ones will go. simply put, the computer did exactly what it was told to do, YOU just didn't told him to change the path for dynamic files, only for static ones.

2- dynamic files are stored in a specific location where user have write rights, this can be changed in various ways explained in this thread

3- CCP CANNOT decide to write anywhere but in the default location deal with it


computers just do whatever they are being told to, if something is not done right, it's because the instructions here not right or, like in your case, incomplete (and thus, it reverted to the default setting).

let's assume for a split second that the dynamic files would have been stored in a sub-folder of the install path, here is what would have happened:

1- each time you would start the game, it would crash, because it couldn't acess settings / cache

or

2- each time you would start it, it would require a permission elevation to gain write access (the box that you whould read when you are updating eve for example, asking for higher permissions)

a process shall never run under those permissions beside system process or install process, eve is neither of those when you play, thus you have to revert to case 1.

and FYI, the problem, in the first place, is here because you used partitionning without knowing how the operating system works, if you would have known, you would have set a sufficient wide enought partition for the system to old those cache files.

when installing windows, there are 2 modes, the easy one, wich take the whole disk, and the advanced one, llowing partitionning, but this mode is to be used by ppl knowing what they do
Thorian Crystal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#37 - 2013-06-28 16:38:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Thorian Crystal
"yes, some dog part, like it's heart, still move. you rather have it to stop?"

You distorted my example. In your dynamic world, the heart of the dog would be beating in the kitchen while the dog sits in the living room.


"and BTW, it would not be an improvement to do what you suggest, this would be a big regression regarding the safety of the operating system and it's resistance versus malicious process."

Wrong. At one time cars were started with a spinning crank in the front of the car. Today they use keys. Or just with a press of a button. See? Progress is going to the way of being easier to use. At this rate I wouldn't be amazed, if five years from now there would be four different locations for different kinds of files...


"you are just talking about things you do not understand, and when explained to you, ignore all the explanation because they don't agree with the way you think it works. fact is..."

The fact is, that I am right. It doesn't matter how the computer works now, because it can be changed.


"3- CCP CANNOT decide to write anywhere but in the default location deal with it"

But they can get rid of the enormously space wasting cache histories. And they can vote on Microsoft sites that the system should be changed.

No other program so far has used 1.4Gb of dynamic file space than Eve. Others use just small amounts like few megs or so. So clearly CCP is doing something wrong even with the current security model.

For example from the bigger end:
- World of Tanks takes 55 Mb
- Origin 15 Mb
- Whole "My Games" takes total of 50 Mb
- GuildWars2 44 Mb
- SecondLife 124 Mb
- Whole "Microsoft" takes 64 Mb
- Star Wars the Old Republic only 12 Mb and that is from screenshots only

- And Eve 1.2 Gb! Plus logs 75 Mb. And 1 Gb of that is only from some history files! They could propably just not be there!


"and FYI, the problem, in the first place, is here because you used partitionning without knowing how the operating system works, if you would have known, you would have set a sufficient wide enought partition for the system to old those cache files."

No, I didn't partition anything. This configuration is purely purchased from store.


"when installing windows, there are 2 modes, the easy one, wich take the whole disk, and the advanced one, llowing partitionning, but this mode is to be used by ppl knowing what they do"

I know what I am doing. But CCP decides to store cache histories worth of 1.2Gb as dynamic files, even though I have said, that all files should go to D:\.

Also, if I say that all files should go to D:\, then they should go there no matter does the computer work after that or not. If the computer doesn't work after that, well, it would be a fail computer.
Thorian Crystal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#38 - 2013-07-02 16:15:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Thorian Crystal
Looks like I am quitting Eve then (no one is getting any isk, it will sink with the client):

I decided to reinstall Eve client to clear up some space it used from C though it was installed to D.

- First I uninstalled Eve. It removed 1Gb of useless cache backups from my C-drive plus 250Mb of cache and 75Mb of log files.
- Then I removed some other programs and hooray, I had over 3Gb of free room in my C-drive.

- Then I tried to reinstall Eve. I downloaded the installer and it showed that I need at least 18 Gb of free disk space and suggested to install into C. Well, I had only over 3Gb free room in C, so I changed the installation folder to D-drive.
- So far so good. The installer started to download the Eve client.

- At this point my computer alerts, that BY THE WAY THERE IS ZERO MB FREE IN C!
- I check what used up the C-drive space, and sure enough, under CCP\EVE\downloads there is over 3Gb of some stuff.
- There is hundreds of Gbs free in D.

- Eve installer says that error occured, cannot continue installing.
seth Hendar
I love you miners
#39 - 2013-07-03 13:19:08 UTC
Thorian Crystal wrote:
Looks like I am quitting Eve then (no one is getting any isk, it will sink with the client):

I decided to reinstall Eve client to clear up some space it used from C though it was installed to D.

- First I uninstalled Eve. It removed 1Gb of useless cache backups from my C-drive plus 250Mb of cache and 75Mb of log files.
- Then I removed some other programs and hooray, I had over 3Gb of free room in my C-drive.

- Then I tried to reinstall Eve. I downloaded the installer and it showed that I need at least 18 Gb of free disk space and suggested to install into C. Well, I had only over 3Gb free room in C, so I changed the installation folder to D-drive.
- So far so good. The installer started to download the Eve client.

- At this point my computer alerts, that BY THE WAY THERE IS ZERO MB FREE IN C!
- I check what used up the C-drive space, and sure enough, under CCP\EVE\downloads there is over 3Gb of some stuff.
- There is hundreds of Gbs free in D.

- Eve installer says that error occured, cannot continue installing.

i kindly suggest you just return your comp to the place you bought it too, and ask for a refund since you seems to dumb to actually use it
Thorian Crystal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#40 - 2013-07-03 16:13:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Thorian Crystal
seth Hendar wrote:
i kindly suggest you just return your comp to the place you bought it too, and ask for a refund since you seems to dumb to actually use it


Really? I mean, if I install the program to D because C has not enough room, I should not be running out of space from C. Blame me as much as you want, but this is the fact.

The installer even shows that C has 3Gb free room, the install-button is greyed out, and the installer offers the choice to change path. Ok, I choose D. Now it shows that sure thing it fits and so the installing starts. But no, the installer complains after a while that hey, there is one little bit of a problem...

Though the installer doesn't even know what was it that caused the installing to fail. First the installer consumes wrong disk space, then gives up and reports of unknown error. And leaves all the stuff into C without bothering to clear up the mess it caused!

If I should need 4Gb or more of free space in C, too, then the install-button should be greyed out even when I choose D and show how much of specifically C-space is needed! So not only the installer consumes wrong disk space, it doesn't even provide enough information to the user.

And the installer should install only the static files, so why the need for space from C?

I have had no problems with other programs, they install fine even though they are large. It is clearly Eve that is working wrong.

Oh well, at least there is an option to download the client manually below the error message. The option should be as big as other download buttons to draw attention, though.

And why those messages about drafts keep appearing on top of my writing? I don't need them.
Previous page123Next page