These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

FanFest Impressions

First post First post
Author
Noam Kova
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#121 - 2013-04-28 12:05:33 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:
Noam Kova wrote:



Remember Incarna. And as an update met in the Jita. Now, tell me again about the fact that the CCP do not care the opinions of their players. This is not a blizzard that could give a s*** about their players, because they still have the same 8kk fanboys.


And you missed my point

CCP need to develop their products to remain relevant with the changes in the hardware market

10 years ago the Desktop PC was the undisputed king
consoles were a minority market share
mobile products were a luxury commodity for the privileged few

Today Smart Phones are more numerous than desktops
OS & Application developers are shifting their focus more and more to tablets and notebooks

In 10 years time I can't even guess what will be current tech for the masses
but im pretty sure that mobility will be a key component


just so your clear, my point is
The hardware market is changing, moving away from the desktop PC
CCP as far as I can tell are merely following this trend

The world is changing, and ccp is changing with it
hence as a customer we ARE irrelevant

cry, kick & scream as much as you like
the change is going to happen
deal with it.



No one is opposed to CCP was engaged new projects. We are always glad for them. Just do not forget about the players of EVE. When parallel projects get in the way the primary task at the moment, it causes resentment among subscribers. It's obvious.
Beaver Retriever
Reality Sequence
#122 - 2013-04-28 12:11:16 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:
Noam Kova wrote:



Remember Incarna. And as an update met in the Jita. Now, tell me again about the fact that the CCP do not care the opinions of their players. This is not a blizzard that could give a s*** about their players, because they still have the same 8kk fanboys.


And you missed my point

CCP need to develop their products to remain relevant with the changes in the hardware market

10 years ago the Desktop PC was the undisputed king
consoles were a minority market share
mobile products were a luxury commodity for the privileged few

Today Smart Phones are more numerous than desktops
OS & Application developers are shifting their focus more and more to tablets and notebooks

In 10 years time I can't even guess what will be current tech for the masses
but im pretty sure that mobility will be a key component


just so your clear, my point is
The hardware market is changing, moving away from the desktop PC
CCP as far as I can tell are merely following this trend

The world is changing, and ccp is changing with it
hence as a customer we ARE irrelevant

cry, kick & scream as much as you like
the change is going to happen
deal with it.

We're not 'irrelevant', we're the ones paying for their little Sony party.

Maybe we should try not paying them for a while to see if they remember where their focus ought to be then.
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#123 - 2013-04-28 12:17:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Kitty Bear
Beaver Retriever wrote:
Kitty Bear wrote:
Noam Kova wrote:



Remember Incarna. And as an update met in the Jita. Now, tell me again about the fact that the CCP do not care the opinions of their players. This is not a blizzard that could give a s*** about their players, because they still have the same 8kk fanboys.


And you missed my point

CCP need to develop their products to remain relevant with the changes in the hardware market

10 years ago the Desktop PC was the undisputed king
consoles were a minority market share
mobile products were a luxury commodity for the privileged few

Today Smart Phones are more numerous than desktops
OS & Application developers are shifting their focus more and more to tablets and notebooks

In 10 years time I can't even guess what will be current tech for the masses
but im pretty sure that mobility will be a key component


just so your clear, my point is
The hardware market is changing, moving away from the desktop PC
CCP as far as I can tell are merely following this trend

The world is changing, and ccp is changing with it
hence as a customer we ARE irrelevant

cry, kick & scream as much as you like
the change is going to happen
deal with it.

We're not 'irrelevant', we're the ones paying for their little Sony party.

Maybe we should try not paying them for a while to see if they remember where their focus ought to be then.


I've heard holding your breath for a really long time works well too.
Zloco Crendraven
BALKAN EXPRESS
Shadow Cartel
#124 - 2013-04-28 12:19:09 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Honestly there was/is/will be a bunch of eve related content in odyssey:
-New gate animations+pretty sensor sweep
-probe deployment
-tags for sec status
-revamped archaeology
-revamped hacking
-v3'd capitals
-improved station interiors and gate graphics
-*4x hi res textures*
-warp to [select your range here] instead of just 0, 5k, 10k, etc.
-nullsec industry, ore, and resource re-balance (aka tech nerf that everyone asked for + improved nullsec manufacturing)
-largest ship rebalance ever, all t1 bs, faction cruiser, faction bs, some faction frigs
-navy battlecruisers
-gnosis for everybody

In all honesty, this is probably one of the larger eve expansions in a while. Granted, a large chunk of fanfest wasn't about eve exclusively, but there was a great deal of info on eve none the less.

Also, the occulus rift game looked absolutely amazing and received significant media attention, which is good for eve as a whole.
And building your own stargates is a cool idea.

How is that not a large list?


Those are huge changes FFS ppl. What are u talking about of lack of content. Ppl must be so dumb.
Also if u didnt like the idea about the free comics and EVE history book. First Collectors Edition box and possible TV show u can all GTFO from New Eden tnx and bye!

For an organisation to be successful it needs to diversify. Every product will have its highs and lows, thats why the 2nd, 3rd and other products are needed, to take the weight of the lesser performing one.

I dont play DUST but it is amazing what CCP is doing and believe me that DUST will be much more prollifc than EVE will ever be because it appeals to much broader audience.

BALEX, bringing piracy on a whole new level.

DelBoy Trades
Trotter Independent Traders.
#125 - 2013-04-28 12:56:25 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:
[quote=DelBoy Trades]Retail Stereotyping
Customer View --> The Customer is always RIGHT
Retailer View --> The customer is mostly always STUPID

Sorry to burst your bubble, but
you are NOT a special precious unique little snowflake

yes that right, lie down on the floor
kick your arms and legs
go 'WAAAAAAAAAGH!!'

your opinion is irrelevant, get used to the thought

don't like it ?? there are other games to play, please go play them
take your mardy petulant whining elsewhere

Haha, you clearly have no idea how supply and demand works. When the EVE community don't like something, we unsub, and then CCP put away their greedy mits for a year or so. Are you new?

Damn nature, you scary!

Beaver Retriever
Reality Sequence
#126 - 2013-04-28 13:22:23 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:
Beaver Retriever wrote:
Kitty Bear wrote:
Noam Kova wrote:



Remember Incarna. And as an update met in the Jita. Now, tell me again about the fact that the CCP do not care the opinions of their players. This is not a blizzard that could give a s*** about their players, because they still have the same 8kk fanboys.


And you missed my point

CCP need to develop their products to remain relevant with the changes in the hardware market

10 years ago the Desktop PC was the undisputed king
consoles were a minority market share
mobile products were a luxury commodity for the privileged few

Today Smart Phones are more numerous than desktops
OS & Application developers are shifting their focus more and more to tablets and notebooks

In 10 years time I can't even guess what will be current tech for the masses
but im pretty sure that mobility will be a key component


just so your clear, my point is
The hardware market is changing, moving away from the desktop PC
CCP as far as I can tell are merely following this trend

The world is changing, and ccp is changing with it
hence as a customer we ARE irrelevant

cry, kick & scream as much as you like
the change is going to happen
deal with it.

We're not 'irrelevant', we're the ones paying for their little Sony party.

Maybe we should try not paying them for a while to see if they remember where their focus ought to be then.


I've heard holding your breath for a really long time works well too.

See, that's just idiotic.

Comparing it to holding one's breath is supposed to make my argument sound like that of a petulant child, one who is completely at the behest of his parents and has no bargaining chip so all he can do is hold his breath.

We're the ones paying for this. It's not the same. Considering you're in Tribal Band I'm gonna assume you're just dumb and not a troll, that tends to be the norm for you guys.
Benilopax
Colonial Industries
Reckless Contingency.
#127 - 2013-04-28 13:22:51 UTC
I play EVE and DUST, I was happy with everything that was covered by the stream.

Don't forget that round tables that deal with EVE are not shown.

...

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#128 - 2013-04-28 14:01:44 UTC
Beaver Retriever wrote:

See, that's just idiotic.

Comparing it to holding one's breath is supposed to make my argument sound like that of a petulant child, one who is completely at the behest of his parents and has no bargaining chip so all he can do is hold his breath.

We're the ones paying for this. It's not the same. Considering you're in Tribal Band I'm gonna assume you're just dumb and not a troll, that tends to be the norm for you guys.


No it's exactly same
See, there it is, the threat to hold your breath or throw a tantrum.

You assume wrong, I joined a corp.



DelBoy Trades wrote:

Haha, you clearly have no idea how supply and demand works. When the EVE community don't like something, we unsub, and then CCP put away their greedy mits for a year or so. Are you new?


No it's clear that you don't understand REAL WORLD issues
I mean it's not like a major business has never back tracked from a policy decision before right .... Coke Cola for example have never dropped ball and back tracked right ???


supply & demand mechanisms in EVE Online, are not the same as they are in the real world.
In the real world
Production is not driven by what the consumer wants
The consumer purchases what the producer makes available for purchase
Marketing Campaigns are then used to make the consumer think that what they really wanted all along was what is available to buy.
If you can't see that, and understand it, I feel sorry for you.


EVE Online is a game, with a game mechanic supply & demand model
CCP is a company that operates in the real world as a profit making body
stop confusing the two, they are very, very separate.
Hra Neuvosto
Party Cat Enterprises
#129 - 2013-04-28 14:11:06 UTC
I was fairly happy with the content this year, but I too must say the HD quality wasn't really worth paying for.

Anyway, you can't expect tons of reveals about exploration content (main focus of Odyssey), it would kind of defeat the purpose.
Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#130 - 2013-04-28 14:57:07 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Noam Kova wrote:
CCP, thanks for DUST Fanfest 2013! I thought you learned a lesson from the community riots after Incarna. It was very interesting to hear about the golden egg for $ 150 (it is the level of squalid Korean MMO). See how instead of updating the game I get a patch with a couple of minor changes. New stargate animation? New scanner? Mini-games? And THAT took half a year?! This is done in a month a group of 5 people. But you doing a dust. You are doing a FREE game while we were PAYING, and now you have the audacity to try to sell us the golden eggs for $ 150 with Oculus Rift. Are you kidding me? Apparently, the one pamphlet that came to us because of the leakage of information during Incarna was not a joke. Apparently, you follow the plan that we've seen. And the last question, when you start to sell gold Drake for aurum?


1. DUST is EVE.

2. There is a huge amount of changes and things coming this summer.

3. its clear you arn't a programmer

4. What CCP uses its cash on is up to CCP. They are a games company, we should thank them for investing so mush isk into EVE for so long unlike just about every other games company out there.

5. So don't buy the egg.


Baltec1 gets it..... why don't more of you?

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

    [#savethelance]
Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#131 - 2013-04-28 14:59:08 UTC
Noam Kova wrote:
CCP, thanks for DUST Fanfest 2013! I thought you learned a lesson from the community riots after Incarna. It was very interesting to hear about the golden egg for $ 150 (it is the level of squalid Korean MMO). See how instead of updating the game I get a patch with a couple of minor changes. New stargate animation? New scanner? Mini-games? And THAT took half a year?! This is done in a month a group of 5 people. But you doing a dust. You are doing a FREE game while we were PAYING, and now you have the audacity to try to sell us the golden eggs for $ 150 with Oculus Rift. Are you kidding me? Apparently, the one pamphlet that came to us because of the leakage of information during Incarna was not a joke. Apparently, you follow the plan that we've seen. And the last question, when you start to sell gold Drake for aurum?


What part of "DO NOT F**K THIS GNOSIS THING UP FOR ME" did you not comprehend?

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

    [#savethelance]
Maxpie
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#132 - 2013-04-28 15:09:41 UTC
I hate to sound like a CCP fanboy (I completely trashed them during the Incarna fiasco), but I thoroughly enjoyed FF. If you haven't come to one (this was my first), I highly recommend you do so, if you ever have the opportunity in the future. The CCP people are wonderful and accessible, the Iceland people are fantastic and the food is great. Even my wife (she doesn't play) had an awesome time.

As far as the various presentations, I mostly attended the Eve-related ones. There were Dust presentations, but I didn't attend them, so I don't get why people are saying Dust took over or something. The keynotes were much more global in scope, talking about Eve, Dust, and a whole lot of other things. I found them interesting and enjoyable.

Nobody here seemed upset or disappointed, much the opposite in fact. I suspect some of the complainers are 'sour grapes' who weren't here, or internet tough guys who were afraid to speak up in person. Regardless, it seems to me Eve has a good long term path ahead of it, and CCP has some real interesting ideas to expand the universe. Will Dust succeed? Will there actually be Eve movies and comic books? I have no idea, but they are wise to explore such options. It seems they are bringing in outside partners to handle that stuff (Dark Horse, for example), so it shouldn't affect our experience much.

No good deed goes unpunished

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#133 - 2013-04-28 15:11:51 UTC
I have removed an off topic remark. Please keep it on topic and civil. Thank you.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#134 - 2013-04-28 15:23:07 UTC
Maxpie wrote:
I hate to sound like a CCP fanboy (I completely trashed them during the Incarna fiasco), but I thoroughly enjoyed FF. If you haven't come to one (this was my first), I highly recommend you do so, if you ever have the opportunity in the future. The CCP people are wonderful and accessible, the Iceland people are fantastic and the food is great. Even my wife (she doesn't play) had an awesome time.

As far as the various presentations, I mostly attended the Eve-related ones. There were Dust presentations, but I didn't attend them, so I don't get why people are saying Dust took over or something. The keynotes were much more global in scope, talking about Eve, Dust, and a whole lot of other things. I found them interesting and enjoyable.

Nobody here seemed upset or disappointed, much the opposite in fact. I suspect some of the complainers are 'sour grapes' who weren't here, or internet tough guys who were afraid to speak up in person. Regardless, it seems to me Eve has a good long term path ahead of it, and CCP has some real interesting ideas to expand the universe. Will Dust succeed? Will there actually be Eve movies and comic books? I have no idea, but they are wise to explore such options. It seems they are bringing in outside partners to handle that stuff (Dark Horse, for example), so it shouldn't affect our experience much.


As long as they don't screw up my character too much, I'm all for them using my in-game personna..... just remember, guys, if Garamonde ends up in an EVE movie or comic book.... I'm not a badass.... I'm not a hero.... I'm the comedy guy. More Archer-like than Rocco-ish....

Also, going to Iceland would be amazing. Alcohol, snow (or so I have heard), and Metal shows? I'm so there.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

    [#savethelance]
B'atou
RATS Corp
#135 - 2013-04-28 16:36:40 UTC
I really liked the Fanfest, the stream was also really ice. To be honest, I like the plan CCP has for the Company . Today you can't relay on one game only. They have two nearly seperate games at the moment, but want to bring them together more and more, like the vision from the fight for outposts together with dust players. The only concern for me is, that it's only ps3 at the moment. There dust should be availabe on the xbox also and/or the pc.

The plan to spread the offers is great. The collectors edition is great, although it would be nice if there's a Quafe Shirt in it. I look personally forward to the next decade, the new shop is great, the quality of the clothes seems great compared to a bandhoodie and the range of the store wi!

The most impressing things where the presentatrions from CCP Seagull and how they develop EVE now, with the 5 years plan and so on, that's something they didn't had until now, and it's the right way!

Every winner needs a looser, only idiots need a leader!

Sir SmashAlot
The League of Extraordinary Opportunists
Intergalactic Conservation Movement
#136 - 2013-04-28 16:49:06 UTC
Marcus Arcturus wrote:

I come away not being able to decide which is more interesting, the EVE stories or the real stories but certain that this game is touching an immense cross section of society, in every demographic, in every corner of the world, many more of whom I can now call friend all because I decided to spend a weekend in April in Iceland with a bunch of people who also love this game.

Note to self: that was a great decision.


I could not agree more.
Nix Anteris
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#137 - 2013-04-28 18:46:26 UTC
I got wasted with corpmates and devs, and rocked out at the top of the world.

I like EVE and DUST isn't my thing. However, CCP making more money is a good thing and to that end I hope DUST is successful and profitable, since that extra cashflow benefits us all. It was pretty easy to avoid/tune out the stuff I didn't have an interest in while being there.

You space poor stream jockeys can keep your tears, I had a fucking blast.

See you again in May 2014
Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#138 - 2013-04-29 06:55:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Astrid Stjerna
Kitty Bear wrote:

Customer View --> The Customer is always RIGHT
Retailer View --> The customer is mostly always STUPID


While I disagree with the notion of calling the customer 'stupid', it must be said:

'The customer is always right' is complete nonsense.

As a (former) customer-service agent, I long ago lost track of the number of times someone told me that they were a 'paying customer' and I should just break the rules to suit them:

'I'm paying for this service, just turn my phone back on'. Not when you haven't paid your bill for two solid months, buddy.

'I was in queue for an hour! This is unacceptable! I pay my bill on time, and I expect better service!' See those three hundred people behind you? They've been waiting for two.'

'My son changed his contacts and replaced me with his girlfriend -- I pay for his phone, so you have to change them back!' You may pay the bills, but it's your son's name on the account. Get him on the line, and then we'll talk.

(For the record, that last one is a real call that was handled by my own supervisor.)

In short: expecting preferential treatment for your status as a 'paying customer' is childish, and frankly, it wastes the time of everyone involved. Sit down, wait your turn, and accept the fact that you're not god.

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Gogela
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#139 - 2013-04-29 07:40:46 UTC
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:
Arduemont wrote:


Also, what's with them making a VR game, that works real time multiplayer?! Why the hell wasn't that time spent on Eve?


we are not making a VR game.
it was a side project from some of us, made off the record, on our own time in only seven weeks.
after hours, late nights and weekends. we spent no less time in our normal work on EVE.

It was an experiment, which we don't know how far will go, the team behind it, me and the other guys, will for sure work for this in the future, no matter if it's gonna be official CCP business or not. It's made out of our passion for making games and not as an add-on or a prototype of something bigger coming.

Dude... f*&$&^@-A man. .... f*&$&^@....A. It's awesome. Follow through! From me to you it's awesome. Really. Imagine carrier interiors. Imagine a PS3 or Android game where you check with your alliance and if a battle is on and a carrier is up you can clone into it, walk into a hanger, and grab your fighter, and fly as it's drone. That would be awesome. I'd pay $100 bucks easy for that app.

Just sayin'.... Pirate

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Vizvig
Savage Blizzard
#140 - 2013-05-01 01:49:36 UTC
So why not make eve p2p? Origin of all boring things from grind, and grind from PLEX.