These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

Don't make the CE purchasable by PLEX.

First post
Author
Col Arran
Doomheim
#21 - 2013-04-28 18:58:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Col Arran
Hessian Arcturus wrote:
"blah blah blah I don't have the ISK to buy the CE with PLEX so no one else should be able to either"


That's pretty much all I'm getting from your post. As for "undercutting" you apparently don't seem to know how PLEX works so let me explain. Each one is bought, with real money, from CCP. Meaning if CCP were to allow you to buy the CE with PLEX it would take PLEX out of the game, PLEX CCP already got money from. If someone were to then turn around and sell the CE for less than CCP well CCP already got money from that CE and the original buyer doesn't have one anymore and will have to buy another if they want one for themselves. It would ostensibly lead to more CE sales than less.

I know for a fact that if the CE would be purchasable with PLEX I'd get one right now, but since its not I will not be getting one. That's a lost sale right there and I wonder how many other people feel the same. Well from all the forum posts apparently its quite a few.

Brooks Puuntai wrote:
Ottersmacker wrote:
+ CCP gets their money, because all PLEX in existence (unless it's been simply spawned by CCP - something they claim not to do) has already been paid for anyway.
+ CCP potentially gets to sell more copies.


With an actual physical item, I doubt the process is that simple.


CCP let you buy NVIDIA graphics cards for PLEX when they were first overhauling all the models to V3.....it is that simple.

As for the "distortion" of the PLEX prices, if you can barely afford PLEX as it is now then there is a big problem with what you're doing to make ISK.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#22 - 2013-04-28 19:00:49 UTC
I have removed some offensive posts. Please keep it civil people!


2. Be respectful toward others at all times.

The purpose of the EVE Online forums is to provide a platform for exchange of ideas, and a venue for the discussion of EVE Online. Occasionally there will be conflicts that arise when people voice opinions. Forum users are expected to be courteous when disagreeing with others.

7. Use of profanity is prohibited.

The use of profanity is prohibited on the EVE Online forums. This includes the partial masking of letters using numbers or alternate symbols, and any attempts at bypassing the profanity filter.


ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Kamorain Dinard
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-04-28 19:01:26 UTC
Sounds sensible.

If you allow it to be purchased via PLEX, people with billions of ISK will buy lots of PLEX with ISK and use it to buy the collector's editions. This will distort the PLEX market and push up PLEX prices. Higher PLEX prices mean that people buying them with ISK to sub their accounts will be unable to do so and may stop playing, harming the game in the long run.

It is also an issue as it just distorts the PLEX market too much which advantages or disadvantages people trading PLEX for profit in game.

Another side effect will be that people will sell the collector's editions and assets that they buy with PLEXes which will make it less special and, be undercutting CCP selling it. This will be a big 'screw you' to people who already bought it full price. It is also a giant real-money-trading opportunity.

CCP: please don't sell it for PLEX or, if you do, just let people use PLEX for part (say half) of the purchase. If you do decide to sell things like this for PLEX in the future, announce that that will happen well in advance.
Michael Stabb
Doomheim
#24 - 2013-04-28 19:06:53 UTC
Kamorain Dinard wrote:
Sounds sensible.

If you allow it to be purchased via PLEX, people with billions of ISK will buy lots of PLEX with ISK and use it to buy the collector's editions. This will distort the PLEX market and push up PLEX prices. Higher PLEX prices mean that people buying them with ISK to sub their accounts will be unable to do so and may stop playing, harming the game in the long run.



And then the people who sell PLEX will come in, buy more ETC's and start selling more PLEX until supply/demand evens out again. HOORAY FOR THE ECONOMY! \o/
Hessian Arcturus
Doomheim
#25 - 2013-04-28 19:20:03 UTC
Col Arran wrote:
Hessian Arcturus wrote:
"blah blah blah I don't have the ISK to buy the CE with PLEX so no one else should be able to either"


That's pretty much all I'm getting from your post. As for "undercutting" you apparently don't seem to know how PLEX works so let me explain. Each one is bought, with real money, from CCP. Meaning if CCP were to allow you to buy the CE with PLEX it would take PLEX out of the game, PLEX CCP already got money from. If someone were to then turn around and sell the CE for less than CCP well CCP already got money from that CE and the original buyer doesn't have one anymore and will have to buy another if they want one for themselves. It would ostensibly lead to more CE sales than less.

I know for a fact that if the CE would be purchasable with PLEX I'd get one right now, but since its not I will not be getting one. That's a lost sale right there and I wonder how many other people feel the same. Well from all the forum posts apparently its quite a few.

Brooks Puuntai wrote:
Ottersmacker wrote:
+ CCP gets their money, because all PLEX in existence (unless it's been simply spawned by CCP - something they claim not to do) has already been paid for anyway.
+ CCP potentially gets to sell more copies.


With an actual physical item, I doubt the process is that simple.


CCP let you buy NVIDIA graphics cards for PLEX when they were first overhauling all the models to V3.....it is that simple.

As for the "distortion" of the PLEX prices, if you can barely afford PLEX as it is now then there is a big problem with what you're doing to make ISK.


Man, I have more than enough ISK to PLEX my account lol but I still wouldn't buy the CE via PLEX...

To me a collectors edition should be bought with real money...

But like I said in my OP I'm only giving my opinion and stating that others should also voice theirs so I can get what other peoples views are. This isn't a winge thread mate. Just having a friendly debate...

Also people seem to be under the impression I think its a limited edition... I am aware that as of yet, there is no limit on how many can be bought. But if everyone bought the collectors edition, it stops being a collectable...

It's human nature to want to explore. To find your line and go beyond it. The only limit, is the one you set yourself.

Robus Muvila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-04-28 19:23:38 UTC
"It is not enough that I can have the collecters edition, it is more important that others cannot have it"

TMC Senior Developer http://themittani.com - Because EvE has needed a proper news site for ages

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#27 - 2013-04-28 19:25:07 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
plex is the only way i'd buy one.

but that's mainly because i couldn't stomach a £126 outgoing on my bank statement for an item where over 50% of it is things i don't want.


money is money... a person has to actually initially purchase a plex for rl money... so it makes no difference bettween plex or credit its all money in ccp eyes.

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Dave Stark
#28 - 2013-04-28 19:31:27 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
plex is the only way i'd buy one.

but that's mainly because i couldn't stomach a £126 outgoing on my bank statement for an item where over 50% of it is things i don't want.


money is money... a person has to actually initially purchase a plex for rl money... so it makes no difference bettween plex or credit its all money in ccp eyes.


true, but the payment makes a difference to my eyes :P
Ottersmacker
Genos Occidere
HYDRA RELOADED
#29 - 2013-04-28 19:38:11 UTC
Kamorain Dinard wrote:
If you do decide to sell things like this for PLEX in the future, announce that that will happen well in advance.

It's not like it would be shipped before October anyway, if they came out with a 'statement of Yes it will be available for PLEX', people have like half a year to purchase it via PLEX as a pre-order, and all the time in the world after that without the pre-order swag. It's not as if it was a 5 minute window that would cause every PLEX ever to be bought up.

The RMT worries are by far less significant than with something like a GFX card. Hundreds of millions of consumers are potentially interested in purchasing graphics cards. How many do you think would like a 150 € collectors edition of an Internet spaceship game? Probably more than 0, but worrying about 'CCP being undercut' makes no sense, because they've been already paid for the PLEX.

i just locked an open door.. strange, yet symbolically compelling.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2013-04-28 19:40:35 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
Ottersmacker wrote:
+ CCP gets their money, because all PLEX in existence (unless it's been simply spawned by CCP - something they claim not to do) has already been paid for anyway.
+ CCP potentially gets to sell more copies.


With an actual physical item, I doubt the process is that simple.

Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be? The exchange of money is exactly the same, so why does the product or service make a difference?

I was talking about this a while back with someone regarding Fanfest. You could buy Fanfest tickets with PLEX but you couldn't buy, say, airline tickets. It's perfectly doable and CCP might even turn a profit from doing so. PLEX cost is maybe $18 or $19 on average depending on the packages that people buy, so CCP would ask for the amount of PLEX that covers the cost of the ticket, rounded up one. If say ticket cost modulo* plex cost is $5 on average and 1000 people buy tickets with PLEX, then CCP turns a profit of $5000 for nothing other than being an intermediary in the transaction.

(Modulo is essentially an operation that gives you the remainder of an integer division. 10 / 3 = 3 with remainder 1, so 10 modulo 3 is 1)

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Michael Stabb
Doomheim
#31 - 2013-04-28 20:25:32 UTC
Hessian Arcturus wrote:
. I am aware that as of yet, there is no limit on how many can be bought. But if everyone bought the collectors edition, it stops being a collectable...


Pokemon cards, sports cards, Pogz., stamps, those cards you used to get in cigarette packets.. even money! All mass produced but all collectable. Sure, some are crap (depending on who you're talking to) but much of it is worth a lot of money.

If this is about wanting something unique that lets you say "Look at this, I have this but many people don't", you're missing the point of having an item to celebrate ten years of EVE.

Don't be fooled by "Collectors Edition", everything becomes "valuable" in time.. except maybe Madonna.
Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2013-04-28 20:28:00 UTC
Michael Stabb wrote:
Hessian Arcturus wrote:
. I am aware that as of yet, there is no limit on how many can be bought. But if everyone bought the collectors edition, it stops being a collectable...


Pokemon cards, sports cards, Pogz., stamps, those cards you used to get in cigarette packets.. even money! All mass produced but all collectable. Sure, some are crap (depending on who you're talking to) but much of it is worth a lot of money.

If this is about wanting something unique that lets you say "Look at this, I have this but many people don't", you're missing the point of having an item to celebrate ten years of EVE.

Don't be fooled by "Collectors Edition", everything becomes "valuable" in time.. except maybe Madonna.


Someone isn't current on the Forbes 'richest musicians' list.
Michael Stabb
Doomheim
#33 - 2013-04-28 20:35:48 UTC
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:


Someone isn't current on the Forbes 'richest musicians' list.


She may have money but that doesn't make her valued Blink
Alaekessa
Matari Combat Research and Manufacture Inc.
#34 - 2013-04-28 20:38:23 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
plex is the only way i'd buy one.

but that's mainly because i couldn't stomach a £126 outgoing on my bank statement for an item where over 50% of it is things i don't want.


Go check the Dust GD, you might like what you find.
Dave Stark
#35 - 2013-04-28 20:40:42 UTC
Alaekessa wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
plex is the only way i'd buy one.

but that's mainly because i couldn't stomach a £126 outgoing on my bank statement for an item where over 50% of it is things i don't want.


Go check the Dust GD, you might like what you find.


interesting.
Hessian Arcturus
Doomheim
#36 - 2013-04-28 21:32:08 UTC
Michael Stabb wrote:
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:


Someone isn't current on the Forbes 'richest musicians' list.


She may have money but that doesn't make her valued Blink


Definitely would P if you know what I mean hahahaha

No no I dont want the CE to say "look at this I have it and not many others do"... I might not even be able to get it if I cant save up enough and they decide to make it "x amount"...

I know CCP get money from PLEX that people buy, but someone who just buys PLEX from the market in game, with in game ISK that they've amased from years (I know it doesnt take years to make ISK) and then gets a CE... They have just got the CE for free... Some one else baught the PLEX with RL money, theyve baught it with money that doesnt exist..

I dont know if ive put across very well what im trying to say there...its good in my head, but I dont know if you understand what I mean in that last paragraph? Lol If not, sorry...

It's human nature to want to explore. To find your line and go beyond it. The only limit, is the one you set yourself.

Dub Step
Death To Everyone But Us
#37 - 2013-04-28 22:27:00 UTC
Waah, somebody aquired some box of needless stuff via a different monetary method than me and I cant TAKE IT!!!111.

Your Mum might care but no-one else does. Please shut up.
Gogela
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#38 - 2013-04-28 22:36:40 UTC
PLEX is real money just as dollars are. PLEX represents real money. I don't see what the problem is. 6 PLEX for digital edition seems more than reasonable, especially if you don't get the physical goods.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#39 - 2013-04-28 22:38:46 UTC
CCP would actually make more by selling the CE for PLEX.

For me that's neither here nor there, though. What I want is to be able to cover the insane shipping cost with PLEX.

Mr Epeen Cool
Robus Muvila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#40 - 2013-04-29 00:26:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Robus Muvila
Alaekessa wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
plex is the only way i'd buy one.

but that's mainly because i couldn't stomach a £126 outgoing on my bank statement for an item where over 50% of it is things i don't want.


Go check the Dust GD, you might like what you find.


If I could offset the cost of the Collectors edition by unloading the Dust514 content on someone else I would buy the collecters edition in a heartbeat, but what is CCP's stance on this? Seeing as this is an unredeemed coupon does this fall outside of RMT clauses of trading game assets for real money seeing as the game assets haven't been redeemed yet?

Seems like a bit of a grey area, but one that holds pretty heavy sway on whether I would shell out for the collectors edition or not.

TMC Senior Developer http://themittani.com - Because EvE has needed a proper news site for ages

Previous page123Next page