These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

New blog: Further EVE Launcher Changes: Coming To a Test Server Near You

First post
Author
CCP Guard
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2013-04-08 15:21:46 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Gargant
Today we update you on matters pertaining to the EVE Online launcher. If you are a person who likes to launch the EVE Online client from time to time, this is a blog for you!

Please launch your questions at the developers right here in the thread as always.

CCP Guard | EVE Community Developer | @CCP_Guard

Graygor
1kB Realty
#2 - 2013-04-08 15:29:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Graygor
Looking good on the launcher changes. I salute the changes away from torrenting to HTTP/1.1. Big smile

Will there be a table or panel about this at fanfest to cover the changes more in depth with player Q&A?

I dont recall there being one last year is memory serves.

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

BlakPhoenix
Load Up Blast Everything
DARKNESS.
#3 - 2013-04-08 15:31:27 UTC
Is it possible to start downloading a patch before the changes go live to further spread the load? So once the patch is finalized we can start the downloading and be ready as soon as the server comes back online.
Dalilus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2013-04-08 15:32:00 UTC
Why not add singularity to the launcher menu?
ArmEagle Kusoni
Knights of Nii
The 20 Minuters
#5 - 2013-04-08 15:34:25 UTC  |  Edited by: ArmEagle Kusoni
Not many details about the changes. I hope you're tackling the "Socket closed" issue (when keeping the login screen open for over a few minutes).
Callic Veratar
#6 - 2013-04-08 15:41:03 UTC
I'm a little disappointed that bittorrent is being pulled, but I understand as there are so many groups fighting against it. Hopefully it can still be implemented as a secondary/backup/efficient method that's not enforced or required, but available for anyone who wants it.
Shish Tukay
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-04-08 15:48:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Shish Tukay
In the previous thread "linux support?" was responded to with the traditional "we don't officially support linux", so here's an even more unlikely-to-get-a-positive-response suggestion: open source the launcher, let the users take care of porting it to other platforms.

This would also allow advanced windows users to take care of adding all the features that they want to the windows launcher too - ie there could be an unofficial third party build with support for launching multiple clients with different window sizes and positions, links to launch tools like pyfa / evemon / dotlan maps / etc, systray support, p2p within the same LAN for super-easy multiple-PCs-in-the-same-house downloads, singularity + tranquility in a single build, ...

Unless the launcher contains large amounts of trade-secret code that gives eve a competitive advantage over other MMOs, I can only see this being win-win for developers and users

(Users of third party launchers not getting official support is a given -- but no official support for an open source launcher would still be much more useful than no official support for a closed launcher)
Tanaka Aiko
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2013-04-08 15:49:17 UTC
The RSS feed is not updated to the new site layout, you should ping some guy we get a lot of collapsed wormholes these days ;)
Pelea Ming
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2013-04-08 15:52:31 UTC
Dalilus wrote:
Why not add singularity to the launcher menu?

^^^^ This, very much, but expand it to include the option for all of the test servers, and just have the ones that aren't currently available greyed out!
l0rd carlos
the king asked me to guard the mountain
Silent Company
#10 - 2013-04-08 15:55:10 UTC
I want torrent, is it still an option for the future?

Youtube Channel about Micro and Small scale PvP with commentary: Fleet Commentary by l0rd carlos

Toramt
Bifrost Light Industries
#11 - 2013-04-08 16:09:06 UTC
Please beware making incompatible tweaks to HTTP 1.1 least an intermediate transparent proxy cause breakage.
Stridsflygplan
Krypted Gaming
K R Y P T E D
#12 - 2013-04-08 16:17:11 UTC
Tanaka Aiko wrote:
The RSS feed is not updated to the new site layout, you should ping some guy we get a lot of collapsed wormholes these days ;)


Redoit, it looks the same but its a new feed. Just replace it with the new one. I think Ugh
Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#13 - 2013-04-08 16:36:33 UTC
thanks for listening to the feed back.

Will Eve Files get the future patch files to, so we can download from an alternate source ?

Eve online is :

A) mining simulator B) glorified chatroom C) spreadsheets online

D) CCP Games Pay to Win at skill leveling, with instant gratification

http://eve-radio.com//images/photos/3419/223/34afa0d7998f0a9a86f737d6.jpg

http://bit.ly/1egr4mF

Daedra Blue
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-04-08 16:38:49 UTC
We in EVE love Options, so if you can keep doing what you want but also provide the Option to use P2P please do so.
I'm pretty sure they can run in parallel.

So feel free to provide both ways to download patches/content, trough your HTTP and P2P.
Kasuko
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-04-08 17:07:45 UTC
DO NOT APPROVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go back to BT!

Screw all the stupid people with their weird Salem Witch Hunt issues!
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#16 - 2013-04-08 17:18:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Chribba
Prepare to be launched?

Seriously, how about just doing bt+web peers, works wonders even behind firewalls (most of the time anyway)

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#17 - 2013-04-08 17:25:06 UTC
Graygor wrote:
Looking good on the launcher changes. I salute the changes away from torrenting to HTTP/1.1. Big smile

Will there be a table or panel about this at fanfest to cover the changes more in depth with player Q&A?

I dont recall there being one last year is memory serves.

We weren't planning on one since the EVE Launcher doesn't generate a lot of interest, but we can do one if there's interest.
Mike deVoid
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-04-08 17:29:37 UTC
What were the arguments against the updater using BitTorrent given that you would still get HTTP/1.1 downloading as a fallback, you would be able to control the upload speed, and that it was not going to be based on Pando Media Booster?

Because wouldn't they have saved CCP money and relaxed demands on your CDN?
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#19 - 2013-04-08 17:32:19 UTC
BlakPhoenix wrote:
Is it possible to start downloading a patch before the changes go live to further spread the load? So once the patch is finalized we can start the downloading and be ready as soon as the server comes back online.

This would be something very nice to have, but it requires more than just changes to the Launcher.
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#20 - 2013-04-08 17:34:15 UTC
Shish Tukay wrote:
In the previous thread "linux support?" was responded to with the traditional "we don't officially support linux", so here's an even more unlikely-to-get-a-positive-response suggestion: open source the launcher, let the users take care of porting it to other platforms.

This would also allow advanced windows users to take care of adding all the features that they want to the windows launcher too - ie there could be an unofficial third party build with support for launching multiple clients with different window sizes and positions, links to launch tools like pyfa / evemon / dotlan maps / etc, systray support, p2p within the same LAN for super-easy multiple-PCs-in-the-same-house downloads, singularity + tranquility in a single build, ...

Unless the launcher contains large amounts of trade-secret code that gives eve a competitive advantage over other MMOs, I can only see this being win-win for developers and users

(Users of third party launchers not getting official support is a given -- but no official support for an open source launcher would still be much more useful than no official support for a closed launcher)

Open sourcing the EVE Launcher isn't something I've considered before. There are some pieces that are licensed that we would probably be unable to share, and there are other platform restrictions that we would not want to disclose (developer signature for our Apple ID as an example).
123Next page