These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

EvE Online: Odyssey!!!

First post
Author
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#541 - 2013-03-30 07:25:23 UTC
Aidan Patrick wrote:
I just want to play like I'm in Star Trek. Wandering system to system, exploring. Interacting with the locals (players) and just finding new things, both beautiful and informative that don't require me to shoot things.


...If wishes were fishes...

I just started on exploring and love it. But because my skills are horrible won't be able to do more than scan high-sec, as a player needs covert ops/cloak to go further. That's sad, as for a space game exploration of new worlds and systems should be it's highlight...not just another space sim shooter. Can find 100000001 games to blow up stuff, can't find a space MMO that allows exploring the unknown with such gorgeous graphics to boot.

Always wanted to be an astronomer, to scan the skies and see the beauty of space. Could we have some "science" somewhere in this game? Like spectrograph analysis; varible star finding? Stuff to turn in for research credits?

Oh, that's right PvP has to be 24/7 because danger has to exist for a game to be a "game". -_-

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#542 - 2013-03-30 12:34:42 UTC
Aidan Patrick wrote:

Sol is a what you could consider a romanticized name for our star used in fiction.



Sol....the Latin (Roman) name for the sun.

It has nothing to do with a fictive use, much less in origin.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Dave Stark
#543 - 2013-03-30 16:46:43 UTC
Yonis Kador wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:
I can't see how urging other high-sec carebears to do the same is a rant or rumor mongering.


Aidan Patrick wrote:

I have to say this is by far the most childish thing I've seen in this thread so far. We have absolutely zero details on the specifics of how things will be implemented. We have words being used like redistribution but that does not have the same definition of elimination.


I don't know what's so juvenile about it. After giving it some thought, I reacted the same way and cancelled my accounts too so they wouldn't auto-renew in a couple weeks. I'm going to PLEX until Odyssey hits of course, but I'm not getting locked into any committments before I know the details of this resource "redistribution" either. As a high sec industrialist, I would be negatively impacted by virtually every scenario advocated by null players on these forums. If any of those ideas are implemented it could screw up my game. And as EVE is a game of linear progression, all progress made between now and then is potentially wasted time. So I can't agree that the reaction was childish. From my pov, it makes sense. Especially since I did the same thing.

yk


tl:dr i won't be able to abuse the imbalance between high sec and null sec after odyssey so i'm going to quit.

ok.
Solhild
Doomheim
#544 - 2013-03-30 21:04:38 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Aidan Patrick wrote:

Sol is a what you could consider a romanticized name for our star used in fiction.



Sol....the Latin (Roman) name for the sun.

It has nothing to do with a fictive use, much less in origin.


The Roman word for the sun is itself derived from the word 'Sol' which was given to the first people that the Anunaki engineered from Sasquatch.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#545 - 2013-03-30 21:31:40 UTC
Solhild wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Aidan Patrick wrote:

Sol is a what you could consider a romanticized name for our star used in fiction.



Sol....the Latin (Roman) name for the sun.

It has nothing to do with a fictive use, much less in origin.


The Roman word for the sun is itself derived from the word 'Sol' which was given to the first people that the Anunaki engineered from Sasquatch.
You can't be serious.
Solhild
Doomheim
#546 - 2013-03-30 21:44:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Solhild
Solstice Project wrote:
Solhild wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Aidan Patrick wrote:

Sol is a what you could consider a romanticized name for our star used in fiction.



Sol....the Latin (Roman) name for the sun.

It has nothing to do with a fictive use, much less in origin.


The Roman word for the sun is itself derived from the word 'Sol' which was given to the first people that the Anunaki engineered from Sasquatch.
You can't be serious.


Lol, no. There is a theory that human beings were created by an alien race called the anunaki. The theory is that humans were ape like until a couple of hundred thousand years ago and these aliens genetically engineered them to be their slaves/servants. We are meant to be the descendants of those bio-engineered beasts!

Until planet X turns up with its race of aliens in it's 2700 yr orbit I think we're safe to assume that the above tale is complete bollocks!

Cool

EDIT: I read this - only cost £10 or so at the time (not recommended reading)

EDIT2: Can we have a devblog about something in the new release, please Big smile
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#547 - 2013-03-30 22:13:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Solhild wrote:
... stuff ...
Oh ... yes ... i think i actually heard of that.
And i don't care, because nobody can prove either side of the story anyway.

edit: i'll rather not derail.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#548 - 2013-03-30 23:10:03 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
But because my skills are horrible won't be able to do more than scan high-sec, as a player needs covert ops/cloak to go further.
I fail to understand why that is the case for you.
Aidan Patrick
Aldebaran Foundation
#549 - 2013-03-31 03:50:43 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Oh, that's right PvP has to be 24/7 because danger has to exist for a game to be a "game". -_-


Funny bit is... Giving us more explorative types something non combat to do that gives us reason to be in space in dangerous areas for long periods of time just equates to more huntable targets for the deranged murderous individuals. So in fact, adding this type of game play would increase targets for the PVP killmail collectors.

Yonis Kador wrote:
So I can't agree that the reaction was childish. From my pov, it makes sense. Especially since I did the same thing.


I'm not saying the unsub is the childish act. It's calling for a mass exodus of highsec industrialists without any real grounds or facts to base it off of. Simply put noone really knows what is going to happen when Odyssey hits. It's too soon to abandon ship.



A note from me, to other highsec industrialists:

I notice a lot of people providing pros and cons for Odyssey. I've read every single post in this thread and I can't help but be irritated at the amusingly high amount of negativity towards the expansion.

I've been playing EVE off and on for six years and have a love-hate relationship with it. It ranks as my second favorite game of all time (Activisions PC version of Battlezone in 1999 ranks #1). During this time I have paid a lot of attention to what CCP releases in terms of documentation on their hopes and dreams for the game. Especially over the last three years.

I don't understand why anyone can't have the highest hopes for Odyssey. Want to know why? Here are my reasons:

1. The POS has been broken since its introduction into EVE.
  • This has been the case simply by the fact that it's simply not possible to properly utilize a POS as a corporate asset securely as anything more than a in-space corporate hangar. Even that however is relatively insecure. Research & Manufcature from a POS? Not without the Factory Manager role. Because of that you can absolutely forget sharing your POS for that purpose with a corp.
  • CCP states that they will be fixing some glaring issues with POS mechanics. Even if we don't get new POS' any improvement to how they work is a change that is greatly needed. Never mind the fact that CCP officially acknowledged the modular POS' requests at Fanfest 2012.

2. Highsec mining sucks. Launch, warp to belt, mine, warp back. Information on ring mining from Fanfest 2012.

With that said, based on the term "redistribution" I see moon minerals being removed from null moons and put into rings for mining in null and low, and possibly even some low grade ones in highsec. My thoughts are that they will likely include regular ore in those belts as well because a ring of nothing but moon goo would be devestating to the market.... So, in a nut shell I see only good things for mining.

With that said, stop being doom sayers, do your research and if you find reason behind it then yes, feel free to unsub and rant. But use facts when calling for others to join you, not what you think is going to happen.

It wont let me have an empty signature...

Aidan Patrick
Aldebaran Foundation
#550 - 2013-03-31 03:54:29 UTC
Oh also... For those of you that want to make your own conclusions as to what Odyssey is going to include I recommend watching the entire Fanfest 2012 video from at least this point.

Some has already been implimented. The rest foreshadows their plans moving forward.

I see nothing to fear.

It wont let me have an empty signature...

Frying Doom
#551 - 2013-03-31 03:57:55 UTC
Aidan Patrick wrote:
Oh also... For those of you that want to make your own conclusions as to what Odyssey is going to include I recommend watching the entire Fanfest 2012 video from at least this point.

Some has already been implimented. The rest foreshadows their plans moving forward.

I see nothing to fear.

We have nothing to fear, except fear its self

oh and CCP making a right royal mess out of it again Lol

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Crexa
Ion Industrials
#552 - 2013-03-31 05:07:55 UTC
New scanning? Ahhh what? How about you give back what you took away. Leave the scan system as is, but give us back grav/mag/radar/ladar +anom probes. That way we can scan for what we want and not spend a hour every friggin evening scanning.

"F=ma, so obviously they're putting mouths against arses to produce a force." "...its breakfast time and i am very hungry. may i have some of your paint chips?"

Dave Stark
#553 - 2013-03-31 08:40:39 UTC
Crexa wrote:
New scanning? Ahhh what? How about you give back what you took away. Leave the scan system as is, but give us back grav/mag/radar/ladar +anom probes. That way we can scan for what we want and not spend a hour every friggin evening scanning.


create filters?
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#554 - 2013-03-31 09:03:11 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
But because my skills are horrible won't be able to do more than scan high-sec, as a player needs covert ops/cloak to go further.
I fail to understand why that is the case for you.


Leveling industry and trying to get some fighting skills in between 10+ day skill queues to run missions for faction standings.

Not. Enough. Time.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#555 - 2013-03-31 09:09:39 UTC
Aidan Patrick wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Oh, that's right PvP has to be 24/7 because danger has to exist for a game to be a "game". -_-


Funny bit is... Giving us more explorative types something non combat to do that gives us reason to be in space in dangerous areas for long periods of time just equates to more huntable targets for the deranged murderous individuals. So in fact, adding this type of game play would increase targets for the PVP killmail collectors.


Thus, the comment.

Was thinking along the same lines when I read the Odyssey announcement. It's like CCP makes sure industrialists are the rabbits to be hunted. But I can imagine the worse fate: making PvPers manufacturer their own gear for every wipe. The whines will be deafening. P

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#556 - 2013-03-31 10:52:29 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Solhild wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Aidan Patrick wrote:

Sol is a what you could consider a romanticized name for our star used in fiction.



Sol....the Latin (Roman) name for the sun.

It has nothing to do with a fictive use, much less in origin.


The Roman word for the sun is itself derived from the word 'Sol' which was given to the first people that the Anunaki engineered from Sasquatch.
You can't be serious.



It's really hard to tell these days sometimes is it not ?

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#557 - 2013-03-31 12:26:11 UTC
Crexa wrote:
New scanning? Ahhh what? How about you give back what you took away. Leave the scan system as is, but give us back grav/mag/radar/ladar +anom probes. That way we can scan for what we want and not spend a hour every friggin evening scanning.


Only an hour? Go live in w-space and you'll be lucky if you only spend an hour a day probing.

Don't ban me, bro!

Hurtini Hilitari
Doomheim
#558 - 2013-03-31 22:02:59 UTC
new exploration sites on planets with dust players scanning down sites from ps3
Sedstr
#559 - 2013-04-01 04:27:20 UTC
Have I interpreted this right?

New exploration sites, but nerf'd loot for all of hisec?

Is there going to be any way to earn ISK in hisec other than indy, mining and missioning?

I like neither mining or mission, and exploration in hisec has become so competitive in the last year, even in low traffic systems - its a race to 4/10's and they rarely drop the good loot anymore it seems. Escalations to lowsec have never dropped anything worthwhile for me either.
Did a 4/10 last night and got two mods worth 8m between them, I got more value from two radar sites and I didn't even need to shoot an NPC.

I've done exploration in lowsec, but the risks vs rewards, is not worth it, gave up on combat Ladar sites - not a single good skillbook dropped, and the combat radar/mag sites drop crap loot too, whats the point in working in lowsec if the loot is no better than hisec? Thats why they are reducing loot in hisec you say.... so they are making exploration earnings ratios 10m : hour in hisec and 40m : hour in lowsec...

If exploration loot gets nerf'd, then I'll have to resort to mining / indy to earn my ISK - fun vs time will be the same, if theres no good loot, its not fun, its just a waste of ammo.

If it wasn't for the social aspect of EVE....







...

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#560 - 2013-04-01 05:02:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Benny Ohu
Ace Uoweme wrote:

I just started on exploring and love it. But because my skills are horrible won't be able to do more than scan high-sec, as a player needs covert ops/cloak to go further.

this is not true. take a T1 scan frig, make a safe, drop probes and cloak with a T1 cloak while you probe. switch to your pve ship, make sure scan probes are on your overview setting, set dscan to use current overview settings and click it occasionally. watch local and warp out if you see probes on dscan, you'll be fine

e: getting skills to 3 is enough it can just take a little longer to probe, but you're cloaked anyway

and don't enter lowsec through an obvious gate

ps pvpers have indy alts and do pve themselves where did you think they make money for spaceships