These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Bookmarks moving around?

Author
Zoltan Lazar
#1 - 2012-12-18 05:56:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Zoltan Lazar
Long story short- entered a WH, BM'd the hole I came in through, scanned down another WH, went through, came back, warped to exit, exit BM was moved to a random spot in the system. I then had to launch probes and scan down the sig of the hole I entered through originally- which was still there, right where it used to be. Personal BM, not corp, though that would be a fun prank.


I know the saved spot was on the hole since I partially scanned that sig while I was scanning for the exit, and that same sig # was what I then scanned down when the BM was way off where it was supposed to be.

What gives?
Iq Cadaen
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-12-19 09:50:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Iq Cadaen
You messed up.
/thread
Matt Ellis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-12-19 14:02:54 UTC
Iq Cadaen wrote:
You messed up.
/thread

Well that was helpful...

I'm actually going to go ON TOPIC now with this post.

I haven't seen signitures move around to that degree. We have had a few instances lately, where a bookmarked wormholes saved bookmark is changing to a short distance away. It's not going to the Signature, as our ships don't decloak at 0km of warp-in, so im not sure..

Part of me kind of wants to say you might have bookmarked the wrong signature, as i haven't seen variations to that degree before. Are you sure you don't have a joker in your corp playing games with you while scanning?
Iq Cadaen
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-12-19 15:36:21 UTC
Matt Ellis wrote:
Iq Cadaen wrote:
You messed up.
/thread

Well that was helpful...

I'm actually going to go ON TOPIC now with this post.

I haven't seen signitures move around to that degree. We have had a few instances lately, where a bookmarked wormholes saved bookmark is changing to a short distance away. It's not going to the Signature, as our ships don't decloak at 0km of warp-in, so im not sure..

Part of me kind of wants to say you might have bookmarked the wrong signature, as i haven't seen variations to that degree before. Are you sure you don't have a joker in your corp playing games with you while scanning?

Confirming that you took 10 times longer to say what I said. Sigs don't move around to such a great degree.
Zoltan Lazar
#5 - 2012-12-19 16:26:45 UTC
I would have just assumed I accidentally bookmarked the wrong thing, except that I knew which sig to scan down later to find the exit again because I had partially scanned it earlier and it was yellow'ing ontop of where the exit BM was displaying before I left the hole.
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#6 - 2012-12-19 16:50:44 UTC
Not had bookmarks change location but one of my clients (doesn't happen on the others) has an issue where if I logoff sometimes any BM in the last ~24 hours will dissapear when I log on again and won't show again until after downtime (including emergency ones) when they reappear again - very odd.
Matt Ellis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-12-20 09:20:30 UTC
How is this...

Matt Ellis wrote:

Well that was helpful...

I'm actually going to go ON TOPIC now with this post.

I haven't seen signitures move around to that degree. We have had a few instances lately, where a bookmarked wormholes saved bookmark is changing to a short distance away. It's not going to the Signature, as our ships don't decloak at 0km of warp-in, so im not sure..

Part of me kind of wants to say you might have bookmarked the wrong signature, as i haven't seen variations to that degree before. Are you sure you don't have a joker in your corp playing games with you while scanning?


The same as this...

lq Cadaen wrote:
You messed up.
/thread


I'm failing to see it. I actually offered constructive comments, and a possible reason. All you did was say it was HIS fault in 3 words. Or am i missing an invisible post somewhere?
Svodola Darkfury
Heaven's End
#8 - 2012-12-20 09:58:30 UTC
I have actually experienced this before, but I have been unable to reproduce it.

I bookmarked a wormhole on one toon (used save location) and it got put under personal locations. I then copied this to corp locations, logged off, and switched to another toon. When I arrived, the wormhole was not there. I thought hey, maybe they collapsed it (it had been about 5 or 10 minutes). Scanned the system, found it under an AU away, same wormhole, same high-sec system connection. It is highly unlikely that in that 5 minute window, they collapsed the wormhole, opened the new one, and got the same system under an AU away from the other wormhole.

Very peculiar, but like I said, unable to reproduce.

Svo.

Director of Frozen Corpse Industries.

Matt Ellis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-12-20 10:36:56 UTC
Svodola Darkfury wrote:
I have actually experienced this before, but I have been unable to reproduce it.

I bookmarked a wormhole on one toon (used save location) and it got put under personal locations. I then copied this to corp locations, logged off, and switched to another toon. When I arrived, the wormhole was not there. I thought hey, maybe they collapsed it (it had been about 5 or 10 minutes). Scanned the system, found it under an AU away, same wormhole, same high-sec system connection. It is highly unlikely that in that 5 minute window, they collapsed the wormhole, opened the new one, and got the same system under an AU away from the other wormhole.

Very peculiar, but like I said, unable to reproduce.

Svo.


When abouts did you experience this? Ive seen a few slightly roaming bookmarks since Retribution.
VegasMirage
Did he say Jump
Dock Workers
#10 - 2012-12-20 10:52:03 UTC
This has happened to me as well (many times) and it's not something new.

There's a couple scenarios when its happens. I probe a wormhole - bookmark the first side of wormhole then when I jump into it I end up in the middle of space nowhere near the exit and it appears as it's collapsed (but no notification). What actually happened was that I spawned off grid somewhere as one person said about an AU away. It has many variants. Sometimes I'm lucky and have the bookmark, but sometimes as you've had to do I reprobe it out.

So, this may or may not have anything to do with this, but when I'm closing wormholes (also not Retribution specific) sometimes when the wh closes my ship is flung into deep space sometimes into a POS (if I have the password in it) and sometimes in middle of deadspace far away from the closed exit.

no more games... it's real this time!!!

Matt Ellis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-12-20 11:42:46 UTC
VegasMirage wrote:
This has happened to me as well (many times) and it's not something new.

So, this may or may not have anything to do with this, but when I'm closing wormholes (also not Retribution specific) sometimes when the wh closes my ship is flung into deep space sometimes into a POS (if I have the password in it) and sometimes in middle of deadspace far away from the closed exit.



Ah, that. I remember we had that happen once... We were collapsing our static, and I was on a wormhole providing escort for our orca to make the jump. Last thing i saw was the orca jump thru a wormhole. The corpie that jumped started "WTF'ing" in comms. Naturally, i asked, "Are you ok?". he replied that he was, and very safe. I asked him how come, as last i saw him jump into a potentially hostile wormhole, and then WTF at me. I warped back to POS to find him. and the orca!... We couldn't believe our eyes!
Indecisive Cid
The Scope
#12 - 2012-12-22 04:10:12 UTC
Svodola Darkfury wrote:
I have actually experienced this before, but I have been unable to reproduce it.

I bookmarked a wormhole on one toon (used save location) and it got put under personal locations. I then copied this to corp locations, logged off, and switched to another toon. When I arrived, the wormhole was not there. I thought hey, maybe they collapsed it (it had been about 5 or 10 minutes). Scanned the system, found it under an AU away, same wormhole, same high-sec system connection. It is highly unlikely that in that 5 minute window, they collapsed the wormhole, opened the new one, and got the same system under an AU away from the other wormhole.

Very peculiar, but like I said, unable to reproduce.

Svo.



called scan deviation, depending on the probes, the ship bonus and your skills,

and ESPECIALLY only partial scans, you notice that as you get to a smaller and smaller scale, (zooming in) that the center of your probes is actually further and further from the signature, also the signature once 100% still has a deviation, therefore always warp to it THEN in over view click save location. then you will always warp to proper distance to jump.


works for me,

had a similar situation, but then did the above, never had the issue again.
IXD
Roime
Shiva Furnace
#13 - 2012-12-22 06:40:25 UTC
Cid,

Scan deviation is not relevant after you have a 100% result. What you mean results from the fact that the cosmic signature and the wormhole are separate objects in space, sometimes even as far as 10k from each other.

Wormholes move a bit at downtime and random server reboots, and while I never have tested it, they might possibly aligned with their cosmic signatures?

Sometimes collapsing wormhole throws you in semi-random spot in the system, but I've never experienced anything similar with live wormholes. Strange stuff, but in wspace anything can happen :)

.

Svodola Darkfury
Heaven's End
#14 - 2012-12-22 21:43:51 UTC
Roime wrote:
Cid,

Scan deviation is not relevant after you have a 100% result. What you mean results from the fact that the cosmic signature and the wormhole are separate objects in space, sometimes even as far as 10k from each other.

Wormholes move a bit at downtime and random server reboots, and while I never have tested it, they might possibly aligned with their cosmic signatures?

Sometimes collapsing wormhole throws you in semi-random spot in the system, but I've never experienced anything similar with live wormholes. Strange stuff, but in wspace anything can happen :)



Yeah this. I had warped to the wormhole already. It was post-retribution.

Svo.

Director of Frozen Corpse Industries.

Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#15 - 2012-12-23 14:18:28 UTC
VegasMirage wrote:


So, this may or may not have anything to do with this, but when I'm closing wormholes (also not Retribution specific) sometimes when the wh closes my ship is flung into deep space sometimes into a POS (if I have the password in it) and sometimes in middle of deadspace far away from the closed exit.



I'm a bit vague on the details but I've heard collapsing a certain WH type - Rxxx I believe in a certain way has this "bug" and people have used it in the past to make deep safes.