These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Can You Cancel A Bounty After You Have Placed it?

Author
Craterius
Symple Onez
#1 - 2012-12-07 07:03:49 UTC
See question. Are bounties permanent, even if you want to remove it? (like, at some future time, the person you put a bounty on joins your corps?)

There are a couple of pretty obvious problems with the new bounty system. Hope someone addresses them pretty soon.
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2012-12-07 08:15:03 UTC
Craterius wrote:
See question. Are bounties permanent, even if you want to remove it? (like, at some future time, the person you put a bounty on joins your corps?)

There are a couple of pretty obvious problems with the new bounty system. Hope someone addresses them pretty soon.

No problem there. Your bounty is not permanent if you get killed until your bounty expires....on the other hand as long as the bounty is underneath a certain value nobody will gank you for it in highsec.

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Craterius
Symple Onez
#3 - 2012-12-07 16:38:06 UTC
There is a problem. There is no logical game play which justifies bored players putting random bounties on everyone. So, why allow it?

There are some of us who do not want to play this particular game with "wanted" stamped across their icon for no reason, and forever. It reduces the immersion of the game, and makes the game sort of cartoonish.

Sort of a New Eden Mario Brothers, so to speak.

There are those who do not care, and those who do. Why start it, since there is no game logic to the mechanic?



Aurelius Valentius
Valentius Corporation
#4 - 2012-12-07 17:11:06 UTC
Craterius wrote:
There is a problem. There is no logical game play which justifies bored players putting random bounties on everyone. So, why allow it?

There are some of us who do not want to play this particular game with "wanted" stamped across their icon for no reason, and forever. It reduces the immersion of the game, and makes the game sort of cartoonish.

Sort of a New Eden Mario Brothers, so to speak.

There are those who do not care, and those who do. Why start it, since there is no game logic to the mechanic?





Please see and vote in my poll, I agree with this, people to whom bounties are not wanted, should be marked as my "MARKED FOR DEATH" option. - see here: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=180065&find=unread
KunniSun
Malum Mortuus
Nuclear Confusion
#5 - 2012-12-07 17:58:54 UTC
It's nice to feel wanted every now and then... Hug Time
Govind
Parity Labs
#6 - 2012-12-07 21:36:02 UTC
At the least they should just let people set a UI threshold for how big of a bounty shows that label. I honestly don't care if others see my "WANTED" sign, but yea I think it takes all meaning out of being a wanted criminal if people get labeled that for having a 100k bounty. It's about as bad-ass as some suburban family visiting some wild-west styled theme park and having a photo taken and made into a novelty WANTED sign.

Better still, bounties should slowly diminish over time even if they aren't collected. Would reduce the incentive to toss a small bounty on someone that would just wear off in a week and increases the incentive to collect on bounties by attacking people with high bounties since they would just erode otherwise.
Vaal Erit
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-12-07 22:41:50 UTC
Craterius wrote:
There is a problem. There is no logical game play which justifies bored players putting random bounties on everyone. So, why allow it?

There are some of us who do not want to play this particular game with "wanted" stamped across their icon for no reason, and forever. It reduces the immersion of the game, and makes the game sort of cartoonish.

Sort of a New Eden Mario Brothers, so to speak.

There are those who do not care, and those who do. Why start it, since there is no game logic to the mechanic?





The gameplay reason is so that no one can escape retribution. Why should some people get to be totally immune to consequences because they shoot a few rats here and there to gain a positive sec status?

There is nothing cartoonish about a classic wanted poster. I suggest you look at some cartoons and cartoon art because you look very ignorant. EVE and SMB have completely different art styles.

Besides the 2 seconds when you open up your character sheet, the wanted status is not shown. You will not even notice it when doing literally anything in EVE. If you are that concerned about a 100k bounty then you can get someone to kill you in an unfit t1 frigate.

There is a lot of logic to this mechanic. EVE is designed so that everyone is in competition with everyone and nowhere is 100% safe. The bounty mechanic lets players interact with other, set goals and have bounty hunters or others accomplish those goals and get paid. This game is not entitled "A few guys band together against the evil pvpers" it is called EVE, welcome to EVE.
Mourning Souls
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-12-07 23:36:44 UTC
Craterius wrote:
There is a problem. There is no logical game play which justifies bored players putting random bounties on everyone. So, why allow it?


Not true, my self and another RVB member have been putting random 100k bounties on neutral haulers we see and in my case it's resulted in 113m in returned bounty on my head. That will slowly be given out to my fellow RVBers as small rewards.


Also a bounty really means nothing at the end of the day, it never has and never will. It's just an extra reward for winning a fight.
Thomas Gallant
Quafe Company Courier Shipping
#9 - 2012-12-08 02:52:07 UTC
No form of punishment in this game will fully work, as punishment is not intended to stop "unwanted" activity. Instead it's intended to add a cost to the activity. with of course the rich shrugging such costs off.

As for 100k bounties, it does seem kind of pointless, as the cost is low enough that people can grief with it, however, how is this different than any other form of griefing? it has it's cost, like all greifing. if people want to place 100k bounties on random people to tick them off, they can, meaningless as it is. If people want to ring doorbells and run, they can, meaningless as it is as well.
Craterius
Symple Onez
#10 - 2012-12-08 08:20:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Craterius
Thomas Gallant wrote:
No form of punishment in this game will fully work, as punishment is not intended to stop "unwanted" activity. Instead it's intended to add a cost to the activity. with of course the rich shrugging such costs off.

As for 100k bounties, it does seem kind of pointless, as the cost is low enough that people can grief with it, however, how is this different than any other form of griefing? it has it's cost, like all greifing. if people want to place 100k bounties on random people to tick them off, they can, meaningless as it is. If people want to ring doorbells and run, they can, meaningless as it is as well.



Griefing, which is doing things within the game which have no game purpose but to cause grief to other players, has been prohibited by CCP for years. They have adopted a very restricted definition of griefing, by trying to find some game purpose when possible.

However, griefing for griefing's sake is prohibited. Or, at least it used to be.

As you say, randomly placing bounties on players with whom you have no interaction, is no different from any other griefing.
Tah'ris Khlador
Space Ghosts.
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#11 - 2012-12-08 08:50:21 UTC
It's true. Having a bounty results in restrictive game-play. I am griefed out of playing by having a 100k bounty. I am no longer able to function or perform basic game functions.

Member of the Pink Pony Killboard Padding Alliance

Victor Kaelen
#12 - 2012-12-08 12:56:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Victor Kaelen
Craterius wrote:
There is a problem. There is no logical game play which justifies bored players putting random bounties on everyone. So, why allow it?

There are some of us who do not want to play this particular game with "wanted" stamped across their icon for no reason, and forever. It reduces the immersion of the game, and makes the game sort of cartoonish.

Sort of a New Eden Mario Brothers, so to speak.

There are those who do not care, and those who do. Why start it, since there is no game logic to the mechanic?






yes exactly i agree with you that the system is totally bullucks and ccp didnt think about this that people who troll eve online now just put bounties on you for writing in local or help chats or just totally by random when you sit in a belt. or throw a bounty on you by an alt or their main... ccp calls this Retribution justified. i call it ransoming innocent to have them killed people who sit in belts and mine to build your ships until your bounty escalates to an all time high and some player decides to come and collect it. and from the fact that before this patch you could relax cause you got above 0.0 security rating on you they couldnt do that now everyone can do it even if you have +10.0 which is mentally stupid.

and im not talking about just a 100k bounty on its in the million tree. CCP has trolled their own game now well done.
Zinn Irate
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-12-08 15:51:32 UTC
Tah'ris Khlador wrote:
It's true. Having a bounty results in restrictive game-play. I am griefed out of playing by having a 100k bounty. I am no longer able to function or perform basic game functions.



If it took only $100K to get you to stop playing this game, then you didn't want to play bad enough.
Craterius
Symple Onez
#14 - 2012-12-08 17:39:05 UTC
BTW, the original question here remains unanswered.

Unlike the distribution of random, bored bounties for purposes of griefing, there are legitimate in-game reasons you might want to cancel a bounty:

a. Your relationship with the person you bountied has changed (this happens fairly often in game).

b. You make a mistake, and put a bounty on someone and want to take it back (I saw at least one poster one these forums with this problem).

So, does anyone know of any way to cancel a bounty you have placed?
Emma Royd
Maddled Gommerils
#15 - 2012-12-08 18:33:39 UTC
Craterius wrote:
BTW, the original question here remains unanswered.

Unlike the distribution of random, bored bounties for purposes of griefing, there are legitimate in-game reasons you might want to cancel a bounty:

a. Your relationship with the person you bountied has changed (this happens fairly often in game).

b. You make a mistake, and put a bounty on someone and want to take it back (I saw at least one poster one these forums with this problem).

So, does anyone know of any way to cancel a bounty you have placed?



Of course not, that would have involved thinking about the project, and that's against CCP's remit Ugh
Tah'ris Khlador
Space Ghosts.
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#16 - 2012-12-08 19:02:27 UTC
Zinn Irate wrote:
Tah'ris Khlador wrote:
It's true. Having a bounty results in restrictive game-play. I am griefed out of playing by having a 100k bounty. I am no longer able to function or perform basic game functions.



If it took only $100K to get you to stop playing this game, then you didn't want to play bad enough.


Oh, I didn't stop playing. I just stay docked all day and gripe about it in local and on the forums.

Member of the Pink Pony Killboard Padding Alliance

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#17 - 2012-12-08 21:45:35 UTC
Craterius wrote:
There is a problem. There is no logical game play which justifies bored players putting random bounties on everyone. So, why allow it?


Why not? why shouldn't i put a bounty on you for lulz?

Eve is very much centered around doing stuff for lulz.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#18 - 2012-12-08 22:53:58 UTC
The problem is noones given us any decent sort of reason we shouldnt be able to post bounties on anyone we want. So far the two most quoted reasons have been 'because I dont want it' and 'it makes me uncomfortable because i see myself as a good guy', neither of which really present a compelling arguement.

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#19 - 2012-12-09 04:14:08 UTC
Darek Castigatus wrote:
The problem is noones given us any decent sort of reason we shouldnt be able to post bounties on anyone we want. So far the two most quoted reasons have been 'because I dont want it' and 'it makes me uncomfortable because i see myself as a good guy', neither of which really present a compelling arguement.



I find my lulz argument more compelling..

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Schalac
Apocalypse Reign
#20 - 2012-12-09 05:38:54 UTC
If you are so against it here, I can help.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2284351#post2284351

SCHALAC HAS SPOKEN!! http://eveboard.com/pilot/Schalac

12Next page