These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

WTF is a Bounty Reimbursement and why does it happen

Author
Lubomir Penev
Prey Drive
#1 - 2012-12-06 21:32:08 UTC
So, on the 2012.12.05 01:35:20 I put a one million ISK bounty on some guy... So far so good.

6 minutes later at 2012.12.05 01:42:01 exactly, I got 500k back with the description "Bounty reimbursed".

Now the guy got no bounty and there is no killboard evidence of him dying since I put the bounty in the first place.

What happened here?
Reppyk
The Black Shell
#2 - 2012-12-06 21:33:43 UTC
: C C P :

I AM SPACE CAPTAIN REPPYK. BEWARE.

Proud co-admin of frugu.net, a French fansite about EVE !

Nylith Empyreal
Blood Marauders
#3 - 2012-12-06 21:36:16 UTC
The logs show nothing.

Who's the more foolish the fool or the fool who replies to him?

Aziesta
Serenity Labs
#4 - 2012-12-06 21:42:19 UTC
Military experts are calling this "a ****ing sneaky ISK sink."
Zoctrine
Doomheim
#5 - 2012-12-06 21:47:58 UTC
I run a service that removes the Bounty, there is a glith at the moment, you were not supposed to get any isk back, will do some investigation and fix it soon.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#6 - 2012-12-06 21:49:24 UTC
Lubomir Penev wrote:
So, on the 2012.12.05 01:35:20 I put a one million ISK bounty on some guy... So far so good.

6 minutes later at 2012.12.05 01:42:01 exactly, I got 500k back with the description "Bounty reimbursed".

Now the guy got no bounty and there is no killboard evidence of him dying since I put the bounty in the first place.

What happened here?

Someone else mentioned bounties can be partially reimbursed if the character is unsubbed or inactive in some manner. Maybe it's being bugged for giving it back so soon? Petition it.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2012-12-06 21:51:00 UTC
Nobody reads patch notes apparently.

Patch notes for Retribution 1.0.2 released December 6, 2012:
"Bounties on inactive users were sometimes being reimbursed too early."

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Galaxy Pig
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#8 - 2012-12-06 21:59:03 UTC
?!?!?!?

Highsec is owned by players now. Systems 0.5-1.0 are New Order Territory. All miners and other residents of Highsec must obey The Code. Mining without a permit is dangerous and harmful to the EVE community. See www.MinerBumping.com

Lubomir Penev
Prey Drive
#9 - 2012-12-06 21:59:28 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Nobody reads patch notes apparently.

Patch notes for Retribution 1.0.2 released December 6, 2012:
"Bounties on inactive users were sometimes being reimbursed too early."


Thank you good sir, doesn't explain why I got only half back, but a good start at an explanation. I don't like the fact that you can use bounties to know if someone is still subbed, but I guess getting the money back is better, if you get all of it back...
Sara Mars
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-12-06 21:59:51 UTC
another post from the woodwork
Pyre leFay
Doomheim
#11 - 2012-12-06 22:06:47 UTC
Lubomir Penev wrote:


Thank you good sir, doesn't explain why I got only half back

By design, you will only get a portion back when the bounty pool is finally dropped.
Its suppose to happen after 3 months unsubscribed I believe.
Lubomir Penev
Prey Drive
#12 - 2012-12-06 22:14:00 UTC
Pyre leFay wrote:
Lubomir Penev wrote:


Thank you good sir, doesn't explain why I got only half back

By design, you will only get a portion back when the bounty pool is finally dropped.
Its suppose to happen after 3 months unsubscribed I believe.


CCP stealing your money.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#13 - 2012-12-07 00:44:23 UTC
Lubomir Penev wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Nobody reads patch notes apparently.

Patch notes for Retribution 1.0.2 released December 6, 2012:
"Bounties on inactive users were sometimes being reimbursed too early."


Thank you good sir, doesn't explain why I got only half back, but a good start at an explanation. I don't like the fact that you can use bounties to know if someone is still subbed, but I guess getting the money back is better, if you get all of it back...

That might be why you only bet back half. It becomes costly to figure you who still has an active sub.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Pyre leFay
Doomheim
#14 - 2012-12-07 01:18:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Pyre leFay
Lubomir Penev wrote:

CCP stealing your money.


You committed that isk to be transferred to anyone who negatively effected that pilots gameplay.
If that account leaves the game, that account is incapable of doing any further action which you would find undesirable.
So CCP claims the reward for their part in the players departure. Yet since they were only indirectly involved, they do the kind service of refunding half payment. Good guy CCP.
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#15 - 2012-12-07 01:19:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Katran Luftschreck
It's really very simple:

Someone decides they don't like you. They want to put a bounty on your head to express this dislike. However they don't want you to know that it was them doing it because they're afraid of your retaliation. I will refrain from making any derogatory comments about the level of bravery involved here because I'm a hisec carebare myself so I've got no room to talk.

So they go and roll up a cheap, disposable alt character and then transfer a bunch of money from their main to their new throwaway toon. Then they have this day-old toon place the big fat bounty on your head for them. So then you say "WTF is this crap, I don't even know this noob?" and then "Whatever, I'll just x10 that bounty right back at him and teach him a lesson in manners."

Ah, but that's why it was done in a disposable day-old alt! You can toss a billion ISK at them and it won't make a difference. The actual bounty placer is still hiding in the shadows & safety of anonymity with their main. Then they park the alt in a hanger for a few days to see if anyone collects on their bounty. Either way, eventually that disposable alt gets disposed of and your "payback bounty" gets refunded to you.

Now this obviously falls under the realm of "Working as Intended" exploits, and it makes me wonder if CCP is going to consider the option of erasing the bounties placed by toons when that toon gets recycled, or make bounties linked to accounts instead of just individual toons. It won't stop this sort of thing but it might slow it down a little at least.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Pyre leFay
Doomheim
#16 - 2012-12-07 01:27:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Pyre leFay
Katran Luftschreck wrote:

Ah, but that's why it was done in a disposable day-old alt! You can toss a billion ISK at them and it won't make a difference. The actual bounty placer is still hiding in the shadows & safety of anonymity with their main. Then they park the alt in a hanger for a few days to see if anyone collects on their bounty. Either way, eventually that disposable alt gets disposed of and your "payback bounty" gets refunded to you.


Well they don't want us to bounty rookies and to stay green to new players.
I already visualize a update in the pipeline that wont let you bounty 30 day old players. They can simply add that these same rookies cant place bounties either. Then no "quick" cycling ability.
Then they would use their market alt like a normal person.
Lubomir Penev
Prey Drive
#17 - 2012-12-07 18:26:20 UTC
Pyre leFay wrote:
Lubomir Penev wrote:

CCP stealing your money.


You committed that isk to be transferred to anyone who negatively effected that pilots gameplay.
If that account leaves the game, that account is incapable of doing any further action which you would find undesirable.
So CCP claims the reward for their part in the players departure. Yet since they were only indirectly involved, they do the kind service of refunding half payment. Good guy CCP.


I'd rather have the guy finding he have a bounty if he finally comes back.