These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Can you hurt yourself with missiles?

Author
Count of MonteCylon
New Destiny Kingdom
#1 - 2012-11-28 06:32:45 UTC
If your target is within the explosion radius of a missile, does that mean that the missile damages both of you? If so then how viable is that as a tactic?

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. -- Ephesians 6:12

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#2 - 2012-11-28 07:06:13 UTC
Nope.
Nihi Lismus
A Lone Wolf Inc.
#3 - 2012-11-28 09:04:11 UTC
Missiles don't do dmg over an area. The explosion radius is just a damage modifier, that is calculated with the signatur radius of the target.

sig > exp. radius = full damage
sig < exp. radius = lower damage


Edit: Bombs do damage over an area
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#4 - 2012-11-28 09:12:33 UTC
Long long long ago torpedos did splash damage. Now you can only kill yourself with bombs.
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#5 - 2012-11-28 09:35:47 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Louis deGuerre wrote:
Long long long ago torpedos did splash damage. Now you can only kill yourself with bombs.



Oooh the fun times where you (accidentally) run your MWD when bombing and are on your own killmail Roll

OP: No, other then bombs there is NO way that any weapon in the game will damage yourself (well unless you see overheat damage as damage to yourself)

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#6 - 2012-11-28 10:10:27 UTC
Since we're in a missile thread, here's what the factors do to damage:

When your missile hits a target, base damage is multiplied by the _smallest_ of these three quantitites:

1

Ship Signature radius / Missile explosion radius = Rship/Rmissile

(Rship/Rmissile) * (Explosion Velocity / Ship Velocity), all raised to the power of a "damage reduction factor" which is larger the larger your missile

So you end up with

Damage = (Base Damage) * MIN (1, Rship/Rmissile, {(Rship*Vmissile)/(Rmissle*Vship)} ^ n)

You can look up the details of n elsewhere on the internet, but it's not something you can really tune beyond taking the precision skill so it's beyond the scope of the newbie forum.

On a more general note, while the only thing that causes _self_ friendly fire is bombs, when you're in a _fleet_ you should keep an eye out for smartbombs, and any situation where your fleetmates have you targeted. The two biggest sources of friendly fire are "stupidly pressing the wrong key by accident" and "misjudging smart-bomb radius". I've actually seen people lose ships to the first in high-sec missions, because when you're in the same player corp as someone there is no warning that you're shooting or being shot by a corp-mate and in a mission full of red crosses it's easy to go on mental autopilot and not notice until someone's dead.
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#7 - 2012-11-28 10:45:03 UTC
Lost Greybeard wrote:
Since we're in a missile thread, here's what the factors do to damage:

When your missile hits a target, base damage is multiplied by the _smallest_ of these three quantitites:

1

Ship Signature radius / Missile explosion radius = Rship/Rmissile

(Rship/Rmissile) * (Explosion Velocity / Ship Velocity), all raised to the power of a "damage reduction factor" which is larger the larger your missile

So you end up with

Damage = (Base Damage) * MIN (1, Rship/Rmissile, {(Rship*Vmissile)/(Rmissle*Vship)} ^ n)

You can look up the details of n elsewhere on the internet, but it's not something you can really tune beyond taking the precision skill so it's beyond the scope of the newbie forum.

On a more general note, while the only thing that causes _self_ friendly fire is bombs, when you're in a _fleet_ you should keep an eye out for smartbombs, and any situation where your fleetmates have you targeted. The two biggest sources of friendly fire are "stupidly pressing the wrong key by accident" and "misjudging smart-bomb radius". I've actually seen people lose ships to the first in high-sec missions, because when you're in the same player corp as someone there is no warning that you're shooting or being shot by a corp-mate and in a mission full of red crosses it's easy to go on mental Auto target back and not notice until someone's dead.


Fixed the bolded part.

And highly suggest to set auto target back to 0 in the escape menu.

I've seen plenty of players shoot their logi pilots in PvP cause they auto targeted the logi that was repairing them and forgot to unlock / switch active target.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#8 - 2012-11-28 11:00:22 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
And highly suggest to set auto target back to 0 in the escape menu.

I've seen plenty of players shoot their logi pilots in PvP cause they auto targeted the logi that was repairing them and forgot to unlock / switch active target.


This is a good point. Set your auto-target-back to 0, and if you need or want to see the hp of your fleetmates or tell who is taking damage, right-click their name in the fleet panel and click "add to watch-list" to start up a little separate window just for HP monitoring.

Even if you're using remote repairers for emergencies, you should have plenty of time to target your buddy manually when you need it.

(If you can't tell, most of the lulz have in my experience come from people actually intending to target each other because they're lazy or don't know about watchlist.)
Merouk Baas
#9 - 2012-11-28 11:08:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Merouk Baas
In case you're wondering, the complicated math is there because CCP wanted to make frigates survive battleship attacks, somewhat (otherwise it's just too insta-death). With gun turrets, they handle it with ship size and speed vs. tracking speed of the guns, but with missiles they had to invent some bullcrap about the velocity of an explosion's shockwave catching up with your ship and affecting how much damage you take.

In any case, large missiles don't do much damage to small ships, and in some cases, like destroyers, it's even noticeable. Destroyers are roughly frigate-sized and definitely have no more than frigate defenses. However, they're just slightly so bigger than frigates, that they get full damage from missiles that the frigate would only get half damage from. You'll notice it if you take a destroyer instead of a frigate into a missile-heavy level 1 mission.