These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

World War Z - New Zombie Movie trailer

First post First post
Author
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#21 - 2012-11-16 13:15:38 UTC
Rana Ash wrote:
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
I dislike the new generation of fast zombies and movies that have them. Not just because of the running, but because of their canny ability to work together and not targeting each other despite being portrayed insane with rage or hunger. They're simply not zombies anymore in my book. They're generic plague carrying monsters. The only reason they're called zombies at this point is because someone at marketing thinks it'll sell better.


This is something they wondered over in the book i believe, the uncanny way the zombies knew what was what. The zombies could tell whom was a zombie and whom wasn't


It's good that they've addressed the issue in some way and limited awareness and ignoring their own is common for most zombie movies. It's not like olden day zombie movies are flawless in the logic department. They're just undead, driven either by instinct or are being controlled and go after the living. They're dumb, less coordinated in movement and organization, but are tireless, infect others and ignore almost all damage done to their bodies. Creatures with serious weaknesses, but with impressive strengths to make them a genuine threat. It's certainly fiction, but grounded in realism at the same time.

I think zombies acting as a team becomes more of an issue with science zombies and the more you make them utilize teamwork and human abilities. Usually it's even to the point no animal or human would or could work together, so I can't just ignore it. There has to be a reason why mindless/insane infected people have equal or more control over themselves than actual humans have and seem to share intelligence information and coordinate their attacks. You can't just have them behave like the bugs from starship troopers and expect me to accept that. People working together couldn't do that without extensive training and technology to communicate, so insane science zombies should definitely not be able to come even close.
Frost Saber
Barbs Hammer
#22 - 2012-11-16 14:16:08 UTC
I've never been able to accept a "slow mover" or traditional zombie as anywhere close to realistic. Most traditional zombie outbreaks have slow onset with slow dumb zombies. No country with a standing army or disease control system would have a problem with this. It gains some realism when the disease has a quick onset and the zombies are running on 100% such as in 28 days later. Of course no disease can spread in 15 seconds but in order for something like this to have any chance of spreading it would need a very quick onset, or a very delayed onset with no symptoms for some time.

As far as zombies "knowing" about other zombies... How does an ant know another ant is from the same colony? If you can imagine a concept like zombies coming from a disease its no stretch to imagine the same disease releasing some kind of phermone to let other zombies know theyre zombies. Of course they dont know they know but if it wasnt that way then the disease or even the concept wouldnt work. If any disease or any orginism practiced canabilism to the pooint of total destruction of the gene pool it wouldnt exist. Thats simply natural selection. The whole concept of the zombie apocylypse hinges on the hive mentality of he zombies.
Gibbo5771
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#23 - 2012-11-16 14:38:25 UTC
Frost Saber wrote:
Name a movie better than the book. This is almost a universal law, the limitations of film can never live up to a book. It has a lot to do with film length, but even LoTRs couldn't really touch the books with 3 movies. Money being no object 6 or 10 movies still probably wouldn't have done it. We'll see how the Hobbit series does with 3 movies. With that amount of time they might be able to get most of the book in film form but I doubt you'll find many tolkein fans saying the movie was better than the book. With Game of thrones being a series they get to extend each book over several hours but it still doesn't touch the book.


Looks like they're doing the same with Z they did to I am Legend. Use the name of a popular book and a big star to make a movie nothing like the original book.


Never had a problem watching any Stephen King novel based movies like Pet Cemetery.
Glasgow Dunlop
The Dark Space Initiative
#24 - 2012-11-16 14:59:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Glasgow Dunlop
I seen the trailer, I've seen Glasgow full of zombies ( thats not the trailer, thats of a normal eveing ) Twisted

( the 1st part of the trailer is glasgow city centre, yes we need the money Bear )

@glasgowdunlop #tweetfleet

TDSIN Director : Join 'TDSIN pub' for more info, Join today!

Glasgow EVE Meets Organiser

Frost Saber
Barbs Hammer
#25 - 2012-11-16 15:23:05 UTC
I didnt say movies made from books arent worth watching. There are great movies out there like fight club, LOTR , Dune, and many more . We could probably name hundreds of good movies made from books . but I cant think of one that is better than the book.
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#26 - 2012-11-16 15:41:23 UTC
Frost Saber wrote:
Name a movie better than the book. This is almost a universal law, the limitations of film can never live up to a book. It has a lot to do with film length, but even LoTRs couldn't really touch the books with 3 movies. Money being no object 6 or 10 movies still probably wouldn't have done it. We'll see how the Hobbit series does with 3 movies. With that amount of time they might be able to get most of the book in film form but I doubt you'll find many tolkein fans saying the movie was better than the book. With Game of thrones being a series they get to extend each book over several hours but it still doesn't touch the book.


Looks like they're doing the same with Z they did to I am Legend. Use the name of a popular book and a big star to make a movie nothing like the original book.


Books have enormous limitations - they have no sound for one thing.

Hate to say it but you cannot compare the two mediums, and, you cannot use the 'name one' argument either, because what happens if I do name one? Are you then goin to say 'name two'?

When would it end? After you get to 'name five-hundred-and-eighty-four'? And none can answer you? Is that when you become right and you get to exclaim 'ah!'?

I suspect a lot of people will watch the film and then read the book - are they allowed to do that? Are they allowed to make comparisons and critique? Or is that only the people that read the book and then watched the film are allowed to do this?

Flick back one page and read my comments, films and books need to be judged on their individual merits; in other words does a book succeed in being a good book, or a film in being a good film. Period.

AK

This space for rent.

Frost Saber
Barbs Hammer
#27 - 2012-11-16 17:55:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Frost Saber
First, this is just a discussion. There's no need to get hostile. You absolutely can compare a book to a movie because they both are stories. They are both entertainment. They both require us the viewers to open our imaginations. What you're suggesting I'm suggesting is that books are better than movies. I'm not. I'm suggesting on the basis of a good story and entertainment a movie made from a specific book is not as good as said book. You haven't said it out right but by strongly disagreeing with the book is better than the movie argument and mentioning "enormous limitations" of books you are suggesting movies are better than books. Not that that is wrong, but you can't compare apples and oranges right?

Yes, I'm asking you, or anybody to name one, two or 584 movies made from a book that is a better in anyway than the book. Other than the obvious distinctions of "no sound" or it has no visual aspect (which I disagree with since a book allows your mind to create sounds and visuals and an audio book with a good voice actor is a great way to experience a book).

Somebody did mention Stephen King. While I agree there ar some good movies made from his novels I still enjoyed the books more.

Again, no movie can possibly get everything in a book onto film. There just isn't enough time. A good example is Atlas Shrugged. The unabridged audio book is 60+ hours. They've recently made two movies from it (I've seen the first part) and as a stand alone movie it was ok. It was B production level and I think if there had been a larger budget they could have done better. But even with a blockbuster budget it couldn't possibly do the book justice.

For movie/book combinations like Z, I am Legend and Starship Troopers there really can't be a comparison. The story of those 3 books and those 3 movies only really share a title and little else. Had any of those movies been named something else and the characters been named something else most people wouldn't know the movies came from the book.

If you don't want to, or can't compare a book to a movie you're fine not participating in the discussion. I just wanted to know people's thoughts on other made from book movies.
ISD Cyberdyne
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#28 - 2012-11-17 02:03:20 UTC
I'll most definitely be seeing this movie, assuming the world doesn't end next month! /s



Although this seems distant from the 'World War Z' that I read and loved, I won't judge the movie on this trailer. And worst case scenario, it's another zombie movie/it's another Brad Pitt movie/it's another movie movie... Either way, they'll probably remake it with Christopher Nolan directing the film, in a few years, and it will be darker and better, which is fine by me.

ISD Cyberdyne

Lieutenant Commander

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Jesuis Cache-Cache
#29 - 2012-11-17 02:33:30 UTC
I am zombied to death.

They were...OK in the 70's but started getting old in the 80's.

Some great games never even got a look past the trailer because that is all they were about. *looks at Dead Island*

TV shows..series...movies...I am done.

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the time he killed himself." - Johnny CarsonĀ 

AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#30 - 2012-11-17 03:46:41 UTC
Frost Saber wrote:
words


You said films have limitations versus books they were made from or based - you're wrong, and create your own thread on that topic and I'll prove it.

This space for rent.

Frost Saber
Barbs Hammer
#31 - 2012-11-17 14:05:38 UTC
I can only imagine what you're proof would be but I'm not all that interested. I think you're desire to prove yourself right and me wrong will trump logic or a chance at a civil discusion in this case so I'll just drop it and say you win bro. Besides it's just my opinion. It might be shared with most readers and movie fans but that doesnt make it wrong/right.

I'm still currious about what movie (s) based on a book turned out better than the book.
Wild Rho
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#32 - 2012-11-17 21:05:41 UTC
Frost Saber wrote:
I can only imagine what you're proof would be but I'm not all that interested. I think you're desire to prove yourself right and me wrong will trump logic or a chance at a civil discusion in this case so I'll just drop it and say you win bro. Besides it's just my opinion. It might be shared with most readers and movie fans but that doesnt make it wrong/right.

I'm still currious about what movie (s) based on a book turned out better than the book.


Off the top of my head I can think of two:
The Thing and Stephen Kings Mist (I state the latter as King himself has been quoted saying there were elements of the film he wished he had thought of when writing the book - such as the ending).



Stating books are always better than the movies is pretty arrogant. They're two different mediums that need to tell stories in very different ways and everyone has their own preference.

Movies are restricted to a short time frame of a few hours to convey information through audio and visual means. They can present physical actions such as combat, body language, tone and emotion far more effectively because they do so in a way that's familiar to people.

Books on the other hand have the advantage that they can be as long as they need to be and can convey far more detail as pacing is less of an issue. Books can spend time describing or narrating the inner thoughts of characters that gives greater context for their actions, the story doesn't have to be as streamlined.
Frost Saber
Barbs Hammer
#33 - 2012-11-18 04:13:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Frost Saber
Quote:
Stating books are always better than the movies is pretty arrogant. They're two different mediums that need to tell stories in very different ways and everyone has their own preference.


For me they've always been better, for reasons I've stated. Yes they're different mediums but on the basis of entertainment, story telling and intellectual stimulation the book will always win... for me. I never said it isn't or shouldn't be somebodies preference to watch a movie. Nor did I say if they liked a movie more than a book they are wrong.

Ironic that because this is written the tone is being completely mistaken as we talk about books and movies. I'm not trying to pick a fight but seems that's how I'm coming off.

I haven't read or seen The Mist. Thanks for the suggestion.
Wild Rho
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2012-11-18 09:10:54 UTC
I don't think it's anything you've done specifically, it's just one of the pitfalls when people discuss their personal opinions on the internet (the whole lack of body language thing) :P

pussnheels
Viziam
#35 - 2012-11-19 14:11:19 UTC
i will give it a try

But the book was written as a series of interviews , spread around the world i can imagine that writing a good script like that is pretty hard , they could have made a documantery style film but their would be no single hero and his family that needs saving and noover the top action scenes involving our hero saving the world

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Gibbo3771
Perkone
Caldari State
#36 - 2012-11-20 00:52:32 UTC
Glasgow Dunlop wrote:
I seen the trailer, I've seen Glasgow full of zombies ( thats not the trailer, thats of a normal eveing ) Twisted

( the 1st part of the trailer is glasgow city centre, yes we need the money Bear )


evening?

Dunno about you but over here at haghill everyone walks with a limp and looks like they have not ate in days, too bad we cant take a bat to their head......or can we.

(Confirming this is true, it ruined every start of my day having to deal with all that shite)
Le Badass
Empire Assault Corp
Dead Terrorists
#37 - 2012-11-21 12:11:42 UTC
Casirio wrote:
Read this book several times back when no one had heard of it yet :P Trailer looks ok, I don't think it will be close to the epicness of the book. But I am a Brad Pitt fan and I think he wouldn't be in the movie unless it was going to be good. We shall see.


Hipster post detected!

Anyway, I didn't think the world of the book. It was quite average. I'd like to see a trilogy made out of the Monster Island/Nation/Planet-books, though.

Also, although many may disagree, I find the movie version of American Psycho to be just as good as the book. Other than that and LOTR, I also think that books tend to translate badly into movies.
Glasgow Dunlop
The Dark Space Initiative
#38 - 2012-11-21 14:06:33 UTC
Gibbo3771 wrote:
Glasgow Dunlop wrote:
I seen the trailer, I've seen Glasgow full of zombies ( thats not the trailer, thats of a normal eveing ) Twisted

( the 1st part of the trailer is glasgow city centre, yes we need the money Bear )


evening?

Dunno about you but over here at haghill everyone walks with a limp and looks like they have not ate in days, too bad we cant take a bat to their head......or can we.

(Confirming this is true, it ruined every start of my day having to deal with all that shite)



tbf that could be said with half the places here Straight

was it not due to be released on the 21st of Dec, when the mayan calander ends ( not sure what ill be skilling at the time Roll )

Traffic was dire, pretty much doubled the time trying to get through town on any kind of bus or car. I can only guess what they used the money for . . . .

@glasgowdunlop #tweetfleet

TDSIN Director : Join 'TDSIN pub' for more info, Join today!

Glasgow EVE Meets Organiser

Previous page12