These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

[Sound] Comprehensive feedback on new sounds

First post
Author
Dirch Passer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#101 - 2012-11-03 07:55:29 UTC
Turelus wrote:
Dirch Passer wrote:
Off topic.

I really wish people would stop with all those acronyms. If you wish to convey a message, wouldn't it make sense to ensure that recipients understand it?

It's kind of a standard in MMO gaming or online gaming in genreral. Give it time and you will learn what they all stand for, there might even be an EVElopedia entry about all of them (not sure, would be a good idea though)
If you're posting this in regard to my post then DCU is a Damage Control Unit, or damage control.

Edit - http://community.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=508913 hope this helps.
Also CNR is even more confusing when members of my corp use it as a pre-fix for ship names.


I do realize it's a standard. I just think it's stupid.
Giving it time to figure out acronyms is sort of counterproductive, if you wish to participate in a conversation.

And no I didn't post in response to you specifically. Smile
Sarmatiko
#102 - 2012-11-03 15:49:18 UTC
Pertuabo Enkidgan wrote:
That's pretty cool, hey I found your youtube channel as well, maybe you can upload the audio's you speak of?

Sorry, my bad. There wasn't any "new" racial music, because it's also can be found in current EVE Inferno client, but still I can't remember it's being used somewhere in the game. Those files are: 62735323.ogg, 424592462.ogg, 500089399,ogg, 764451210.ogg in res/audio folder (they can be fixed for audio player with ww2ogg utility).

Frightening "zero_cluster" sounds are still new though.. Maybe they somehow related to Dust 514.
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash
C C P
C C P Alliance
#103 - 2012-11-04 21:36:56 UTC
Jarin Arenos wrote:
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:
you do know, that Duality is a test server, where the sole purpose is to test and find "problems" ?

Sounded to me like he was just trying to help you test and find the problems. You wouldn't be implying you have a problem with reporting issues before they hit live, now would you? ;)


Help? you call this help? ;)
I don't have any kind of problem with any EVE player pointing out anything to me here, it's a great pointer to where we should go and shouldn't.

Galphii wrote:

Yes, I thought my upbeat assessment was being received with cynicism and 'grumpy dev syndrome'. P I also said 'at this point', which I thought hinted that I knew it would be on the way to getting fixed, and it was. No need for him to freak over it.


Upbeat :D and don't call me grumpy, I just stopped drinking coke, that could explain why caffeine withdrawal headache is messing with me ;)
But, it's all in development as you said :)

Iris Bravemount wrote:


Sorry to interrupt you there, but I would say that the current autocannon sounds are the worst sounds in the game. They sound like sewing machines. Shocked


The current, as in the current on TQ or the ones we are testing out on Duality you mean?
I guess you mean the duality ones - yes they are of course all under continuous development, but they really are all containing the old sound, so they are not that different from the ones on TQ, at least not the projectile ones.


ITTigerClawIK wrote:
could someone make a sound comparison video with all (or as much of) the new turret sounds as possible i couldn't find nay on youtube, they are all vids on the new hull models


That's specifically coming out in an audio dev blog on it's way.


Sarmatiko wrote:
Pertuabo Enkidgan wrote:
That's pretty cool, hey I found your youtube channel as well, maybe you can upload the audio's you speak of?

Sorry, my bad. There wasn't any "new" racial music, because it's also can be found in current EVE Inferno client, but still I can't remember it's being used somewhere in the game. Those files are: 62735323.ogg, 424592462.ogg, 500089399,ogg, 764451210.ogg in res/audio folder (they can be fixed for audio player with ww2ogg utility).

Frightening "zero_cluster" sounds are still new though.. Maybe they somehow related to Dust 514.


or maybe not related at all ;)
They could just be leftover info from the xml file which has no relation to the code coming from the game. or they may be part of other things, which may sound much different if being chopped up by game code and middleware during gameplay.

But we are working on a much different system and tweaking the middleware and code to support especially this generative music and audio, bigger battles sounding bigger and so on, creating a much bigger auditive universe for EVE instead of the current system which is somewhat "flat" in it's ways of performing playback or synthesis of stuff.

But let me check out those files specifically and see if I can clarify what they are specifically used in. But there aren't any racial music at the moment, but there probably will be very soon, also trying to make the music system perform in various ways of letting players "know" if there was a recent pod kill here or the current "danger" at the current position. Not giving away all the info and fun, but just as a hint of what is going on around the player.

But as so many players switch off the music, but not the rest of the audio - we are also working on other ways of increasing the tension of the audio if something is up around the player.
But this system has to be developed at the same time as all other new audio, which of course all new features in the game will have first priority at now.

Bjørn Jacobsen | Deceased Audio Designer | EVE Online & EVE : Valkyrie | CCP Games | I might be slow at replying - but at least I'm bad at football.

CCP WhiteNoiseTrash
C C P
C C P Alliance
#104 - 2012-11-04 21:42:14 UTC
Dirch Passer wrote:
Turelus wrote:
Dirch Passer wrote:
Off topic.

I really wish people would stop with all those acronyms. If you wish to convey a message, wouldn't it make sense to ensure that recipients understand it?

It's kind of a standard in MMO gaming or online gaming in genreral. Give it time and you will learn what they all stand for, there might even be an EVElopedia entry about all of them (not sure, would be a good idea though)
If you're posting this in regard to my post then DCU is a Damage Control Unit, or damage control.

Edit - http://community.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=508913 hope this helps.
Also CNR is even more confusing when members of my corp use it as a pre-fix for ship names.


I do realize it's a standard. I just think it's stupid.
Giving it time to figure out acronyms is sort of counterproductive, if you wish to participate in a conversation.

And no I didn't post in response to you specifically. Smile


DP should be careful that the other danish actors from his time does not come back from the dead, I'm talking PK, KP and so many of the other acronyms around, they should have had a DCU in time.

Bjørn Jacobsen | Deceased Audio Designer | EVE Online & EVE : Valkyrie | CCP Games | I might be slow at replying - but at least I'm bad at football.

Warde Guildencrantz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#105 - 2012-11-04 22:50:54 UTC
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:

ITTigerClawIK wrote:
could someone make a sound comparison video with all (or as much of) the new turret sounds as possible i couldn't find nay on youtube, they are all vids on the new hull models


That's specifically coming out in an audio dev blog on it's way.


all my likes!

TunDraGon ~ Low sec piracy since 2003 ~ Youtube ~ Join Us

ColdCutz
Frigonometry
#106 - 2012-11-04 23:57:06 UTC
I'll just leave this right here...
ITTigerClawIK
Galactic Rangers
#107 - 2012-11-05 01:29:48 UTC
this upcoming dev blog pleases me... any ETA on it for maybe this week at all?
Pertuabo Enkidgan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#108 - 2012-11-05 04:05:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Pertuabo Enkidgan
ColdCutz wrote:
I'll just leave this right here...

This is ******* awesome
How could I have missed this

CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:


if there was a recent pod kill here or the current "danger" at the current position. Not giving away all the info and fun, but just as a hint of what is going on around the player.

we are also working on other ways of increasing the tension of the audio if something is up around the player.

Sweet! Can't wait get ominous/dread feeling in here
Iris Bravemount
Golden Grinding Gears
#109 - 2012-11-05 11:26:36 UTC
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:
Iris Bravemount wrote:


Sorry to interrupt you there, but I would say that the current autocannon sounds are the worst sounds in the game. They sound like sewing machines. Shocked


The current, as in the current on TQ or the ones we are testing out on Duality you mean?
I guess you mean the duality ones - yes they are of course all under continuous development, but they really are all containing the old sound, so they are not that different from the ones on TQ, at least not the projectile ones.


I actually mean the current ones on TQ. And since, as you pointed out, the ones on Duality contain the old sounds, they also sound like sewing machines.

I think the AC sounds need to be redone from scratch, if possible.

"I will not hesitate when the test of Faith finds me, for only the strongest conviction will open the gates of paradise. My Faith in you is absolute; my sword is Yours, My God, and Your will guides me now and for all eternity." - Paladin's Creed

Sui'Djin
Black Rise Guerilla Forces
#110 - 2012-11-05 16:43:47 UTC
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:


if there was a recent pod kill here or the current "danger" at the current position. Not giving away all the info and fun, but just as a hint of what is going on around the player.

we are also working on other ways of increasing the tension of the audio if something is up around the player.


This reminds me of X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter, where your audio gave you feedback of enemy / allied reinforcements entering the scene, being pursued, having shot down an enemy and what not. Would love to have this kind of audio in Eve, sounds awesome Cool
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#111 - 2012-11-05 23:53:48 UTC
after listening to the new mix for i while i am wondering. will there be an option to turn off the music but keep the spooky generated track?

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

YuuKnow
The Scope
#112 - 2012-11-06 08:41:30 UTC
Like the new large hybrid turret sounds.

Don't like the fact that warp sounds change. Seems odd to here a different sound each time you warp. Perhaps a different sound per ship class (frig, cruiser, capital) would be better.
Iris Bravemount
Golden Grinding Gears
#113 - 2012-11-06 08:58:32 UTC
For what it's worth:

I just played Mass Effect for the first time (slowpoke.jpgRoll). Why don't my gates sound as awesome as Mass Relays?

Mass Effect 1 Mass Relay

Off-topic PS: Why is the mass relay sound in ME2 worse, and even worse than that in ME3? Is there some kind of anti-awesome campaign going on in the sound industry?

ME 1,2 & 3 Mass Relay comparison

"I will not hesitate when the test of Faith finds me, for only the strongest conviction will open the gates of paradise. My Faith in you is absolute; my sword is Yours, My God, and Your will guides me now and for all eternity." - Paladin's Creed

Nagarythe Tinurandir
Einheit X-6
Ushra'Khan
#114 - 2012-11-06 16:46:52 UTC
i was on duality today and checked out the new weapon sounds.

at least for small - large projectiles, small lasers and small hybrids.

small hybrids are spot on. the sounds reflects what you expect and every turret sounds distinct, but not too different from his bretheren. i like it.

small lasers are good but some tweaks would be nice.
they sound a little bit to much like an artillery, even the pulses. overall the bang is very prominent but the "swooshing" kinda drowns in the bang. maybe tune down the bang a bit and make the swooshing more prominent.
pulses could so better in promoting the multiple-shot-nature, while beams just need a louder and longer swoosh.

projectiles
as i use them the most, im kind of picky here ^^

each small autocannon (125; 150; 200 mm) were distinct but in a odd way. they seem to use the old sounds with a new sound on top which was the same for every three turrets. i promoted the autocannon nature quite well but the new sound peace always seemed to be "out of place".
the small arties were not distinct from each other. they sounded the same and they sounded like autocannons. there were multiple "bangs" for each round fired. kind of destroyed my picture of these arties. sorry :(

for the medium autocannons; dual180mm was distinct from 200mm and 425mm with the two latter sounding excatly the same. the dual180mm hat its old sound underlayed with one of them new sound thingies, this actually merging. i liked this one. the 200/425mm sound was also good, but missed the multiple bangs. it sounded like one shot, not a autocannon spewing bullets. are distinct sound for either 200 or 425mm would be nice. opposite to the small autos, the new sound peace (simulating the mechanic parts of the cannon?) merged quite well.
medium arties. same issue as with the small arties; the caliber were not discriminable. additionally i missed some oumph. maybe take this sound as basis for the small arties or keep them for the mediums (with more oumph) and give the small ones a more mortar like "faoummh!PPP"

Large autocannons. they got the bass part right but again missing the multiple shot style. without it, there is just no autocannon feeling. it feels wrong when there is flashy muzzle fire and only one "rums"
large arties; the 1200mm was buggy. it was shooting only from one barrel and had no sound whatsoever.
1400mm was overall good but someone stole its thunder. maybe its just me but when a 1400mm goes off there should be the feeling of a nuclear explosion which propells a bullet with the mass of a small car towards my enemy.


in general, the size progression should go hand in hand with more and deeper bass. on top of that autocannons should have some frequency progression with the smalles going like "ratatatatatatata" uzi-style or even the roaring sound to be witnessed in one of the linked youtube videos. something that indicates the high firing rate, and as the caliber grows bigger the frequency should somewhat slow down, ending at 800mm which just goes "bangbangbangbang!" like a modern FLAK cannon.

a cool gimmick for arties would be some sort of reload sound, the cycle time is for sure long enough^^

keep up the good work ;)
i guess overcoming the "eve has sound"-stigma is hard work
Nathanien Indoril
Creation and Extraction
#115 - 2012-11-07 12:26:29 UTC
ColdCutz wrote:
I'll just leave this right here...

Positive: That would be f**cking awesome.
Negative: I would need to train Laser and Amarr asap... ... And fly only Amarr ships from there on.
Heithor Schalkov
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#116 - 2012-11-07 14:41:16 UTC
ColdCutz wrote:
I'll just leave this right here...



i would need 3 seperate pairs of pants at the same time to contain the magnitude of boner if tachyons made that kind of noise
Sirran The Lunatic
Pandemic Horde High Sec Division
#117 - 2012-11-08 02:56:12 UTC
At current - All laser sounds: "thump thump thump".

There's no "fzzzzt" no "zap" no "vvvvrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzamm".

It's just...variations of "thump thump thump".

Would prefer the old sounds to the new ones, or, as linked above in that video. THAT'S what energy weapons (on varying scales of course) should sound like! More crystalline sounding, instead of an 'any old gun' sound.
marVLs
#118 - 2012-11-08 16:22:55 UTC  |  Edited by: marVLs
New Large lasers sounds are awesome ShockedAttentionAttentionAttentionAttentionAttention Autocannons and hybrids too.

Warp sound is crap or bugged, but im sure it will be fixed
Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#119 - 2012-11-08 19:22:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Ganthrithor
I'm gonna sit down and run through all turret sounds today. I started with XL projectiles and all I can say so far is :ohdear:
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash
C C P
C C P Alliance
#120 - 2012-11-08 19:48:47 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
after listening to the new mix for i while i am wondering. will there be an option to turn off the music but keep the spooky generated track?


Just turn the volume of the music down to 0 for now.
There will at some point be an option just to "turn off", but setting the volume to 0 solves the issue.

YuuKnow wrote:
Like the new large hybrid turret sounds.

Don't like the fact that warp sounds change. Seems odd to here a different sound each time you warp. Perhaps a different sound per ship class (frig, cruiser, capital) would be better.


Yea, that's been thought of, though to begin with it was just a test of how much it could be tweaked as having a single sonic thud whenever entering warp isn't good, but changing it depending on ship size is an option, but that comes down to some coding issues, which I don't know when will be fixed, it's up to another department.

Ganthrithor wrote:
I'm gonna sit down and run through all turret sounds today. I started with XL projectiles and all I can say so far is :ohdear:

XL's projectiles sound like medium projectiles ought to... their sound effects are way too short / brief and lack bass-- they sound small and tinny, especially the artillery.

More thoughts as I continue sampling :\


Sounds like there is a bug in the system. they are not too short from my end and of course, are not supposed to, they should fit the shot animation.

One thing though, to the youtube vid posted here, as on how sounds are in other games, all those sounds are of continous fire, all the guns in EVE are single fire.

Bjørn Jacobsen | Deceased Audio Designer | EVE Online & EVE : Valkyrie | CCP Games | I might be slow at replying - but at least I'm bad at football.