These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

Problems in real life, and eve scams

First post
Author
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#1 - 2011-10-14 12:25:51 UTC  |  Edited by: rodyas
So recently a company charged my credit card, everytime someone purchased from their store. I found out about and called them up. They said they would of course refund my money and I could get likea few free deliveries from them as well.

Worked in food services before, so I knew this was standard and from him talking could tell most likely they would.

But I have been scammed a few times in eve and usually dont believe it when I see a real contract in eve anymore.

So I realized I dont realy trust him as much as I should. Eve has destroyed that natural trust thing I usually have had.

He propably will give my money back since its real life and not a video game, but who knows.

Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before as well. Like before going into work or at a meeting. Like thought of a recent scam from eve, then looked at that person, and said to themselves can I really trust this guy.


did an update at end of page 2.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

David Grogan
NerdHerd
#2 - 2011-10-14 12:28:35 UTC
rodyas wrote:
So recently a company charged my credit card, everytime someone purchased from their store. I found out about and called them up. They said they would of course refund my money and I could get likea few free deliveries from them as well.

Worked in food services before, so I knew this was standard and from him talking could tell most likely they would.

But I have been scammed a few times in eve and usually dont believe it when I see a real contract in eve anymore.

So I realized I dont realy trust him as much as I should. Eve has destroyed that natural trust thing I usually have had.

He propably will give my money back since its real life and not a video game, but who knows.

Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before as well. Like before going into work or at a meeting. Like thought of a recent scam from eve, then looked at that person, and said to themselves can I really trust this guy.



i'd still order a new credit card just to be sure.

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

Jokerface666
Intergalactic Expeditionary Corp
#3 - 2011-10-14 12:29:52 UTC
True, i started eve like 3 years ago,
i noticed 2 years ago, that i am getting paranoid and really carefull when it comes to contracts with my business partners and customers. and i am not talking about normal carefull, i am talking about extra carefull and having my lawyer with me for everything.

Same applies to private stuff, like buying a car, dating a girl....

eve ruind my psychological stability!
Kitty McKitty
In Praise Of Shadows
#4 - 2011-10-14 12:32:24 UTC
Not really, it's an accepted part of the game and has no bearing on the accountability of people in real life. I am however naturally suspicious, but it's not made any worse by the existence of scammers in Eve.

Haviing your portrait painted here helps INTAKI Disabled Children ♥

Lexmana
#5 - 2011-10-14 12:33:03 UTC
So you're saying that EvE helped you grow up?
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#6 - 2011-10-14 12:47:52 UTC
Maybe a bit of growing up, havnt played too long though. After two years of this, mature will go on my application for sure.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Jennifer Starling
Imperial Navy Forum Patrol
#7 - 2011-10-14 12:56:09 UTC
Usually I look at contracts (or even market orders) very carefully in EVE.
I've done something stupid only once but most scams are pretty straightforward.

Never noticed that it changed my RL attitude towards online shops or even eBay-like transactions.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2011-10-14 13:05:04 UTC
Well. Eve does not heavily differ from real life. I mean in social aspect.

Being in high-sec space is like in the middle of a town. There is police but you can get killed or robbed. And some time police cannot help at all.
Being in low-sec is like poor parts of a town. Police is somewhere far away and you should be careful.
Being in zero-sec.... Well. You can imagine where you can find it.

Business in Eve is like in RL. You don't give your personal data/stuff/money to person you don't know well. Every contract is signed and protected by regional/local/country laws and lawyer. And you have chance to protect yourself with help of your authorities.

In Eve there is no such protection mechanics and you should be more careful. This is all. But in Eve you can't got killed. You only can start from zero. While in RL you can get it occasionally.

I don't see how being Eve player you get paranoia or some kind of psychology problems =)

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Morganta
The Greater Goon
Clockwork Pineapple
#9 - 2011-10-14 13:14:01 UTC
personally I'd nail the ******* to the wall, no matter what they offer you.

every time someone bought something from the store it charged YOUR card?

Call the credit card comapny and the merchants processor.
they are obviously NOT pci compliant and just storing your info is a huge risk because they clearly have no clue what they are doing.

seriously, deal with it through official channels before you get a bill in the mail for the mortgage on your new house, that you never know you bought

dead serious, don't let boneheads ruin your name and finances
non judgement
Without Fear
Flying Burning Ships Alliance
#10 - 2011-10-14 13:14:48 UTC
I'd have this problem, but only if I was buying stuff in a place named Jita. As luck has it, I've never been to a rl place named Jita yet.
Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#11 - 2011-10-14 13:59:21 UTC
Yeah EVE online has affected me as well.


The other day i saw a man digging up his garden and he had a lot of dirt in a wheelbarrow. When he was not looking i ran over and tipped all the dirt my own wheelbarrow that looked just like his.

I hid around the corner holding a shovel waiting for him to come back.
I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
Zagam
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2011-10-14 14:02:07 UTC
Fastest way to avoid scams in both RL and in EVE...

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"
Lord Ryan
True Xero
#13 - 2011-10-14 14:03:27 UTC
He might have apoint. I used to like people and be quite social. Manners are pretty in important to me in real life, so I might not like you for long. But eveyone had a chance. Now I just assume everyone is an asshat untill proven wrong. Maybe I just grew up like that one guy said or maybe I've been playing Eve for +3 years.

Do not assume anything above this line was typed by me. Nerf the Truth, it's inconvenient.

Deopheel Dalonne
Eridu Productions
#14 - 2011-10-14 14:11:03 UTC
rodyas wrote:
So recently a company charged my credit card, everytime someone purchased from their store. I found out about and called them up. They said they would of course refund my money and I could get likea few free deliveries from them as well.

Worked in food services before, so I knew this was standard and from him talking could tell most likely they would.

But I have been scammed a few times in eve and usually dont believe it when I see a real contract in eve anymore.

So I realized I dont realy trust him as much as I should. Eve has destroyed that natural trust thing I usually have had.

He propably will give my money back since its real life and not a video game, but who knows.

Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before as well. Like before going into work or at a meeting. Like thought of a recent scam from eve, then looked at that person, and said to themselves can I really trust this guy.

What you are saying is that playing EvE has destroyed in you what makes our real life possible: implicit trust.

Tribal societies do not have implicit trust. By default, the position is: do not trust anyone who is not of your immediate family or clan.

Our modern society relies on the opposite position: by default, trust people and then start to distrust them only if you have material proof that they were dishonest. The massive increase in quality of life that we have experienced over the past 3 centuries entirely depends on that.

Where does that put EvE ?
Lord Ryan
True Xero
#15 - 2011-10-14 14:13:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Lord Ryan
Morganta wrote:
personally I'd nail the ******* to the wall, no matter what they offer you.

every time someone bought something from the store it charged YOUR card?

Call the credit card comapny and the merchants processor.
they are obviously NOT pci compliant and just storing your info is a huge risk because they clearly have no clue what they are doing.

seriously, deal with it through official channels before you get a bill in the mail for the mortgage on your new house, that you never know you bought

dead serious, don't let boneheads ruin your name and finances



Happened to me, sort of. I(Lord Ryan, yeah that's my RL name too) tryed to open a bank account in Ohio, couldn't because I(Shelia Smith or something) haven't been paying the mortgage for the house I(Shelia Smith) bought in Florida. Do I look like a F@#kin Shelia Smith

I did track Shelia Smith down and cleared everything up, but it took a couple day and it was a hassle.

Do not assume anything above this line was typed by me. Nerf the Truth, it's inconvenient.

Noriko Mai
#16 - 2011-10-14 14:13:50 UTC
Jokerface666 wrote:
[...] dating a girl....


Be carful. Maybe she's a spy and only wants acces to your stuff!

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

Lord Ryan
True Xero
#17 - 2011-10-14 14:19:23 UTC
Noriko Mai wrote:
Jokerface666 wrote:
[...] dating a girl....


Be carful. Maybe she's a spy and only wants acces to your stuff!


Because I'm in a sharing modd today. I got one for that too. It couldn't have been more than a couple weeks before we got married my wife ask me to sign a prenupt. Nothing makes you feel more like a cheap wh*re than signing a prenupt!

Do not assume anything above this line was typed by me. Nerf the Truth, it's inconvenient.

CCP Wrangler
#18 - 2011-10-14 14:30:17 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Wrangler
I don't trust anyone when it comes to money, or verbal promises. However that comes from other things than EVE Online or other games. Keep in mind that everyone here role plays a bit. They don't all run around and think they're really space ship pilots or anything, but in a game like this you take on a persona that's not necessarily who you are in real life. Granted, it can be who you'd like to be in real life. But if you meet players in real life at Fanfest or player gatherings and such, the guy who smack talks worse than anyone else in game or the guy who scammed people out of a billion ISK will usually turn out to be a quite friendly person. Some wont of course but that's life.

So in short, EVE Online shouldn't make you distrust people more than is healthy anyway. But never trust anyone in EVE, ever. Big smile

Wrangler Community Team Manager - Community Arch Wizard

Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. - Winston Churchill

Zagam
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#19 - 2011-10-14 14:33:54 UTC
CCP Wrangler wrote:


So in short, EVE Online shouldn't make you distrust people more than is healthy anyway. But never trust anyone in EVE, ever. Big smile


Especially people with vowels or consonants in their name.
Merovee
Gorthaur Legion
Imperium Mordor
#20 - 2011-10-14 14:34:20 UTC
Lord Ryan wrote:
Noriko Mai wrote:
Jokerface666 wrote:
[...] dating a girl....


Be carful. Maybe she's a spy and only wants acces to your stuff!


Because I'm in a sharing modd today. I got one for that too. It couldn't have been more than a couple weeks before we got married my wife ask me to sign a prenupt. Nothing makes you feel more like a cheap wh*re than signing a prenupt!


Sign the prenupt, get rich, smile. Blink

Empire, the next new world order.

123Next page