These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Alternative way of patching

First post First post First post
Author
Rickard Pickman
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#321 - 2012-07-06 18:10:23 UTC
So I've been away for 2 weeks and try to update to the latest version.

Launcher fails 3 times having downloaded 2GB of data in 3 separate hits.

Thinking a manual patch is in order I come to this thread only to find that the version I'm on (384443) doesn't have a link. Not even a link to a more recent but not quite up to date patch that the launcher could then do a 30 MB patch from to get a current client.

So in the space of 2 weeks you've consigned me to downloading 4 GB because CCP now has a fetish for releasing patches that basically fix the stuff they broke in the last patch (point release, whatever the **** you want to call it). And these smaller patches introduce yet more erors and bugs that you'll have to patch out again next week.

I hear in fact that you patched 2 or 3 times last week alone.

CCP you are collectively ******* useless. Introducing this point release system basically means you can vomit out rubbish knowing you can cover up your errors with another annoying patch next day.

For the love of God CCP please could you either improve your QA prior to releases so that the coders amongst you can't merrily just release beta code to the masses as they do now or provide more links to previous versions, for versions that are more than, say, 2 weeks old.
Malfurian Redstar
Unknown Enterprises
#322 - 2012-07-09 11:47:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Malfurian Redstar
I can understand programing problems but you cant even keep a patch up to date for manual download? really? its such a massive demand on your GMs time that they cant edit a damn post?

Bullshit.

CCP yet again the patcher is still not working after weeks of this.

After downloading patch after patch and manually apply. Which im fine with btw when the damn thing is up to date.
Now i cant play eve at all while my que is empty because you dont have the god damn patch available in this thread and your patcher wont workMy sub is running out later this month and you can **** off entirely if you think I will pay you people to waste my money.

File a petition you say? nope wont work your system is so god damn buggy I CANT EVE FILE A SUPPORT TICKET " oops something went wrong" that's all i get.

This is bullshit of the highest order CCP.will not be a returning customer until this issue is fixed. This kind of crap is inexcusable.

Are you going to reimburse my missed time? I think not ccp never does. Well you know what? I am not paying to admire your technical fails and ****** customer service. I pay to play. Cant play? Then I wont pay.
v3nd3tt4
Underworld Alts Syndicate
#323 - 2012-07-09 12:19:29 UTC
Rickard Pickman wrote:
So I've been away for 2 weeks and try to update to the latest version.

Launcher fails 3 times having downloaded 2GB of data in 3 separate hits.

Thinking a manual patch is in order I come to this thread only to find that the version I'm on (384443) doesn't have a link. Not even a link to a more recent but not quite up to date patch that the launcher could then do a 30 MB patch from to get a current client.


If you're still stuck at version 384443, this old link still alive btw. (~683 MB)
http://content.eveonline.com/390556/EVE_Online_384443-390556_win.zip

Then simply use the launcher OR update manually for the rest: (these are small sizes)
http://content.eveonline.com/392804/EVE_Online_390556-392804_win.zip
http://content.eveonline.com/394018/EVE_Online_392804-394018_win.zip
http://content.eveonline.com/394353/EVE_Online_394018-394353_win.zip

As for the latest one, my launcher is downloading it atm but alternative link is still unavailable. Just expect up to 2 hours delay in link updates.. Lol
Vladimiur
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#324 - 2012-07-09 13:35:57 UTC
upload 39050 (todays update) pls...... already waiting a ******* 2:40hrs.............
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#325 - 2012-07-09 16:36:15 UTC
I've updated the links, sorry for the delay.
LtCommander Tarkin
Shadow Core Conglomerate
#326 - 2012-07-09 18:04:03 UTC
I can understand why some of you are getting angry, but please put some thought into considering that CCP is a lot better with their current patching system than most MMOs.
At least you can patch to the latest possible build as long as your client is at lest 5 or 6 patches behind, that's a hell of a lot better than having to download 150+MB in sequential patches.

Plus, at least the GMs aren't as slow as snails with updating the OP with the new patches. Sure, it may take 6 or 7 hours, but it's better than an entire day or two.

If the launcher isn't working properly for me, I just ask one of my friends who plays EVE to download the patch and upload it somewhere so I can download it. Those of you complaining to CCP for failing to update the OP the instant a new patch goes out could try my method.
Chatha Gathii
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#327 - 2012-07-09 18:14:06 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:
I've updated the links, sorry for the delay.

Don't you get tired of doing this? Couldn't you automate the process to save yourself a lot of time, and the time of the players who wait on these patches?

Why not write a script that runs every day after downtime, putting the latest patches on an open ftp server. Then put a link to that server in the OP, and you'll never have to update this thread again and rarely have to apologize for the delay.
Bao Gong
Doomheim
#328 - 2012-07-11 13:37:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Bao Gong
Chatha Gathii wrote:
CCP Atropos wrote:
I've updated the links, sorry for the delay.

Don't you get tired of doing this? Couldn't you automate the process to save yourself a lot of time, and the time of the players who wait on these patches?

Why not write a script that runs every day after downtime, putting the latest patches on an open ftp server. Then put a link to that server in the OP, and you'll never have to update this thread again and rarely have to apologize for the delay.


Just need a Official Eve Torrent ? (an ftp with 20k connections after a downtime... it s a bad idea).
(working with Bittorrent / Utorrent,... etc)

Still a Nice Attention to Update / Correct bugs everyday... but a bit boring for players from a galaxy far away...
Dakias
Sins Of Lost Souls
Einherjar Alliance
#329 - 2012-07-24 10:06:20 UTC
Hey all, so I have taken quite a break from eve during my holidays and when I came back, eve doesn't work on my desktop anymore. When I open eve it runs the launcher and when I click on Play it just sits there and laughs at me =(

However, eve runs on the laptop (i have no idea why that would be) but after sifting through all the different methods people are trying in order to 'fix it'. None of them have worked for me........ I'm currently re-downloading and re-installing eve for the 8th time but I highly doubt whatever I do this time round would make any difference.

CCP once the clients we download off the main EVE website is actually playable and bug free could you please let us know? My laptop is too under-powered to run the game so I'm just gonna put long skills on and give up playing until the problems are gone =(

p.s. my ExeFile is also corrupted or something because the severlog thing says that it doesn't work. majorly lame -_-


furthermore the very first post in 'alternate patching methods is confusing;
1. Download and open the zip file which will take you to the current TQ client version
2. Copy the .patch file into the EVE Online client folder, usually that would be C:\Program Files\CCP\EVE
3. Run the launcher and it'll do the rest for you automatically.
4. Download and open the latest zip file
5. Copy the .patch file into the EVE Online client folder, usually that would be C:\Program Files\CCP\EVE
6. Run the launcher and it'll do the rest for you automatically.

^ Those instructions were a bit hard to follow since it seems steps 4-6 are just repeating exactly what I did in steps 1-3. plus, the launcher is the wrong version anyways. its v.1.321 on my desktop (I know its suppose to be v.1.32 from my laptop). I could only wish that the launcher would do it all automatically.

|||   No what you have are bullets and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing because if I am, you'll all be dead before you've reloaded.   |||

Eternal Griever
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#330 - 2012-08-08 10:54:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternal Griever
I hope the new patch is going to be added to the OP fast, because my launcher still acts like a b*tch. Any time I try starting the game with it is starts downloading EVE_Online_395875-395875_win.patch. Yes, you red that right, it downloads a patch from one version to the exactly same one... So far I have just launched the game directly from the bin folder but then the EvE launcher is just useless :/

EDIT: As of the new patch it now attempts to download it but fails at 50% -.-
EDIT2: For people who want the latest patch it's at http://content.eveonline.com/404131/EVE_Online_395875-404131_win.zip
Eli Williams
Goats With Frickin' Rocket Launchers
#331 - 2012-08-08 11:48:16 UTC
Eternal Griever wrote:
I hope the new patch is going to be added to the OP fast, because my launcher still acts like a b*tch. Any time I try starting the game with it is starts downloading EVE_Online_395875-395875_win.patch. Yes, you red that right, it downloads a patch from one version to the exactly same one... So far I have just launched the game directly from the bin folder but then the EvE launcher is just useless :/

EDIT: As of the new patch it now attempts to download it but fails at 50% -.-
EDIT2: For people who want the latest patch it's at http://content.eveonline.com/404131/EVE_Online_395875-404131_win.zip


You sir are a great man!
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#332 - 2012-08-08 13:33:21 UTC
Eternal Griever wrote:
I hope the new patch is going to be added to the OP fast, because my launcher still acts like a b*tch. Any time I try starting the game with it is starts downloading EVE_Online_395875-395875_win.patch. Yes, you red that right, it downloads a patch from one version to the exactly same one... So far I have just launched the game directly from the bin folder but then the EvE launcher is just useless :/

EDIT: As of the new patch it now attempts to download it but fails at 50% -.-
EDIT2: For people who want the latest patch it's at http://content.eveonline.com/404131/EVE_Online_395875-404131_win.zip

It´s doing that EVE_Online_395875-395875_win.patch thing because it´s trying to repair something that´s corrupted in your game.
Pinchuk Makbema
Independent Thinkers
#333 - 2012-08-08 19:08:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Pinchuk Makbema
My updater has downloaded EVE_Online_395875-404131_win.patch about ~110bm file, and then starts downloading
EVE_Online_404131-404131_win.patch about 50.79 mb filel and sucks at 34.66 mb...
I've tried to run repair.exe. Repaire .exe has updated, calculated and found some corrupted files (I think it because repair.exe checks hashs for 404131 but I have 395875, its not patched :( ) And calculates that 50.79 mb data to be downloaded and corrected. In that phase I get about a tonne of messages like this:
Warning: failed to add block - (369524898, 'c#x\xf3\x9f\x8d\xc9\x89\xd4\x861\xe7\xecm\xfa ')
Warning: failed to add block - (-1270873611, '\xeb\xb5\xb5\x94\x05\xd5V\n{@\xf2\xd4]jT\xd6')
Warning: failed to add block - (305712649, '}\xb8p`7\x0e\xc0\x04kv\x1d\xab\x1d\xc2\x07,')
Warning: failed to add block - (-1106515935, '\xf9\x8er-\xf3\x17\x1eU\x96\xa4"\x13\x92\xc1]\xe3')
Restoring: resSpaceEffects.stuff


How to fix everything guys ?? wtf is going here ??
Eternal Griever
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#334 - 2012-08-08 21:12:46 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:
Eternal Griever wrote:
I hope the new patch is going to be added to the OP fast, because my launcher still acts like a b*tch. Any time I try starting the game with it is starts downloading EVE_Online_395875-395875_win.patch. Yes, you red that right, it downloads a patch from one version to the exactly same one... So far I have just launched the game directly from the bin folder but then the EvE launcher is just useless :/

EDIT: As of the new patch it now attempts to download it but fails at 50% -.-
EDIT2: For people who want the latest patch it's at http://content.eveonline.com/404131/EVE_Online_395875-404131_win.zip

It´s doing that EVE_Online_395875-395875_win.patch thing because it´s trying to repair something that´s corrupted in your game.


I ran the repair tool countless times, even did a completely clean install of EvE. I was so desperate I even reinstalled Windows just to fix it. Guess what the results are... nothing, still getting same error, except now it's trying to create EVE_Online_404131-404131_win.patch. Ran the repair tool now, it found absolutely nothing. Ugh
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#335 - 2012-08-08 23:20:42 UTC
Eternal Griever wrote:
CCP Atropos wrote:
Eternal Griever wrote:
I hope the new patch is going to be added to the OP fast, because my launcher still acts like a b*tch. Any time I try starting the game with it is starts downloading EVE_Online_395875-395875_win.patch. Yes, you red that right, it downloads a patch from one version to the exactly same one... So far I have just launched the game directly from the bin folder but then the EvE launcher is just useless :/

EDIT: As of the new patch it now attempts to download it but fails at 50% -.-
EDIT2: For people who want the latest patch it's at http://content.eveonline.com/404131/EVE_Online_395875-404131_win.zip

It´s doing that EVE_Online_395875-395875_win.patch thing because it´s trying to repair something that´s corrupted in your game.


I ran the repair tool countless times, even did a completely clean install of EvE. I was so desperate I even reinstalled Windows just to fix it. Guess what the results are... nothing, still getting same error, except now it's trying to create EVE_Online_404131-404131_win.patch. Ran the repair tool now, it found absolutely nothing. Ugh

Did you try to run it as Administrator?
Eternal Griever
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#336 - 2012-08-09 01:33:26 UTC
I am the administrator, but just to be sure I tried running it as administrator with no positive results. I think it's something wrong just with the launcher itself because the game runs just fine, repair tool doesn't find anything when I run it.
Bob FromMarketing
Space Marketing Department
#337 - 2012-08-09 13:27:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Bob FromMarketing
http://pastebin.com/hxnFTLtH < because I can't "paste HTML" on the forums


After downloading the client again to work around this, and you guys releasing another two patches I've now spent 4 hours sitting redownloading the 12 gb required to apply a patch that is smaller than 20 seconds of hardcore fetish ****.

The link about the alternative method of patching refuses to work, and I'm missing out on valuable market

I'm on a MAC.
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#338 - 2012-08-09 14:48:34 UTC
Eternal Griever wrote:
I am the administrator, but just to be sure I tried running it as administrator with no positive results. I think it's something wrong just with the launcher itself because the game runs just fine, repair tool doesn't find anything when I run it.

Can you give me the log? Pastebin works well for posting the exceptions it is no doubt raising.
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#339 - 2012-08-09 14:49:38 UTC
Bob FromMarketing wrote:
http://pastebin.com/hxnFTLtH < because I can't "paste HTML" on the forums


After downloading the client again to work around this, and you guys releasing another two patches I've now spent 4 hours sitting redownloading the 12 gb required to apply a patch that is smaller than 20 seconds of hardcore fetish ****.

The link about the alternative method of patching refuses to work, and I'm missing out on valuable market

I'm on a MAC.

If you could post the whole log, that would be better. There might be a precursor exception that's stopping it from writing the file out, which you're cherry picking has missed.
Bob FromMarketing
Space Marketing Department
#340 - 2012-08-10 02:14:06 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:
Bob FromMarketing wrote:
http://pastebin.com/hxnFTLtH < because I can't "paste HTML" on the forums


After downloading the client again to work around this, and you guys releasing another two patches I've now spent 4 hours sitting redownloading the 12 gb required to apply a patch that is smaller than 20 seconds of hardcore fetish ****.

The link about the alternative method of patching refuses to work, and I'm missing out on valuable market

I'm on a MAC.

If you could post the whole log, that would be better. There might be a precursor exception that's stopping it from writing the file out, which you're cherry picking has missed.


That was the entire error exception tht I was given