These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

Banning alts? I LOL'D

Author
Crunchie Attuxors
Always Another Corporate Venture
#1 - 2012-06-20 01:37:07 UTC
So I have been seeing in all the discussions on "fairness", "balance", "carebears ruin game", "griefers ruin game" etc etc etc that a lot of people want alts banned because they break the game.

No, dear capsuleers, having multiple accounts and toons is part of the game. Its part of how CCP makes money, to you know, do important things like send weather balloons up in space and less important stuff like updating SiP or running servers.

So, please, stop the complaints.

Also, this then connects to all the other stuff that comes with it:

1) Spying - part of the game.

2) Wardec avoiding alts - part of the game.

3) NPC parked alts - part of the game.

Etc etc etc.

Essentially, the common thread here is that people want to play against the player - "hold him accountable". Which is not only impossible for technical and legal reasons, but also, its a freaking game.

You can:

1) Leave it

2) Play as whatever you want

Some of us are carebears in one toon, pirates in another, nullsec grunts in the other, and forum trolls in the other. So the toon you calling an evil griefer, might actually be the CEO of your carebear mining outfit you love and respect so much.

So thin about it...
Eve forums official anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudOFG5X6uA Real men tank hull. Fake women shield-tank Gallente.
masternerdguy
Doomheim
#2 - 2012-06-20 01:37:48 UTC
The hi sec publords do not realize much of the hi sec population are alts of us lo and null folk.

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Crunchie Attuxors
Always Another Corporate Venture
#3 - 2012-06-20 01:43:31 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
The hi sec publords do not realize much of the hi sec population are alts of us lo and null folk.


Are you sure? Because that is some of the people clamoring to ban alts and multiple accounts for that very reason.

However, I wouldn't call it much. If that were true, there would have been an equilibrium reached already. Unless people take the roleplaying too far and fight themselves in the metagame as well as in the pew pew.
Eve forums official anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudOFG5X6uA Real men tank hull. Fake women shield-tank Gallente.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#4 - 2012-06-20 01:58:21 UTC
Crunchie Attuxors wrote:
masternerdguy wrote:
The hi sec publords do not realize much of the hi sec population are alts of us lo and null folk.


Are you sure? Because that is some of the people clamoring to ban alts and multiple accounts for that very reason.

However, I wouldn't call it much. If that were true, there would have been an equilibrium reached already. Unless people take the roleplaying too far and fight themselves in the metagame as well as in the pew pew.

You play this game called EVE right?
Zeko Rena
ENCOM Industries
#5 - 2012-06-20 01:59:44 UTC
I wet my pants just then
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#6 - 2012-06-20 02:01:52 UTC
Anyway, on topic, I've only seen a few seriously suggest banning alts. The rest are being sarcastic/trolling... I hope.

1) CCP makes money from it, significantly.

2) It would be impossible to enforce.
Crunchie Attuxors
Always Another Corporate Venture
#7 - 2012-06-20 02:03:19 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:

You play this game called EVE right?


I see your point... but it would require thousands of people to do this... wait...

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3ps1yn/
Eve forums official anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudOFG5X6uA Real men tank hull. Fake women shield-tank Gallente.
Crunchie Attuxors
Always Another Corporate Venture
#8 - 2012-06-20 02:03:57 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
Anyway, on topic, I've only seen a few seriously suggest banning alts. The rest are being sarcastic/trolling... I hope.

1) CCP makes money from it, significantly.

2) It would be impossible to enforce.


Yes I mentioned the two points in the OP.
Eve forums official anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudOFG5X6uA Real men tank hull. Fake women shield-tank Gallente.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#9 - 2012-06-20 02:09:21 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
Unless people take the roleplaying too far and fight themselves in the metagame as well as in the pew pew.

It happens.

We try and get people to fight us, but it never works. So bad at EVE ...

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-06-20 02:09:39 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
The hi sec publords do not realize much of the hi sec population are alts of us lo and null folk.


Well, now that I'm the Lord of a high security Pub, that calls for a celebration.



"Barmaid, a large mug of Quafe Ultra Special Edition for everyone in the house."


Barbara Nichole
Cryogenic Consultancy
#11 - 2012-06-20 02:10:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Barbara Nichole
Crunchie Attuxors wrote:
So, please, stop the complaints.


yeah .. good luck with that.

still, I haven;t heard many complaints in this vein.. where is all this complaining going on?

  - remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Xython
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-06-20 02:51:35 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
Anyway, on topic, I've only seen a few seriously suggest banning alts. The rest are being sarcastic/trolling... I hope.

1) CCP makes money from it, significantly.

2) It would be impossible to enforce.


Not really. CCP could just refuse to allow more than one character per account.

But if they did this, the tinfoil hat crowd would vanish off the forums due to a single guy not being able to switch names every 2-3 weeks when everyone's successfully ignored him to death.
Crunchie Attuxors
Always Another Corporate Venture
#13 - 2012-06-20 02:57:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Crunchie Attuxors
Xython wrote:
Corina Jarr wrote:
Anyway, on topic, I've only seen a few seriously suggest banning alts. The rest are being sarcastic/trolling... I hope.

1) CCP makes money from it, significantly.

2) It would be impossible to enforce.


Not really. CCP could just refuse to allow more than one character per account.

But if they did this, the tinfoil hat crowd would vanish off the forums due to a single guy not being able to switch names every 2-3 weeks when everyone's successfully ignored him to death.


Except, as I mentioned, there is no legal way for CCP to ensure a single person doesn't control multiple accounts except requiring IDs to open and manage accounts and to plex them up etc. Yeah, that is soooo going to happen.

Even with ID requirements, the average neckbear can at least muster his mom, his dad, and his hot sister who is embarrassed of him in public.

And of course, CCP has a huge track record pursuing EULA violations that are not obvious :)

In fact, CCP should just have one account for everything, but that is a separate topic.
Eve forums official anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudOFG5X6uA Real men tank hull. Fake women shield-tank Gallente.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#14 - 2012-06-20 03:02:25 UTC
I'd like to point out there is a significant difference between wishing to curb behaviour like NPC corp hauling, mining and war dec evasion and wanting to ban alts.

I have only ever seen one or two posts requesting a ban on alts.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Morganta
The Greater Goon
Clockwork Pineapple
#15 - 2012-06-20 03:04:10 UTC
this is obviously a rumor
Crunchie Attuxors
Always Another Corporate Venture
#16 - 2012-06-20 03:10:17 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:
I'd like to point out there is a significant difference between wishing to curb behaviour like NPC corp hauling, mining and war dec evasion and wanting to ban alts.

I have only ever seen one or two posts requesting a ban on alts.


Splitting hairs a bit - ultimately when you scratch a lot of these, what actually lies beneath is contempt for alts in general, because the thin brained cannot role play and separate the toon from the person.

I personally think its tied to the whole "fairness" meme, in which alts are see as pay to win, like buying chars etc, and possibly - although this is just conjecture, as I do not read minds - envy and jellies at being not able to afford it.
Eve forums official anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudOFG5X6uA Real men tank hull. Fake women shield-tank Gallente.
Crunchie Attuxors
Always Another Corporate Venture
#17 - 2012-06-20 03:10:42 UTC
Morganta wrote:
this is obviously a rumor


Report me then.Roll
Eve forums official anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudOFG5X6uA Real men tank hull. Fake women shield-tank Gallente.
Russell Casey
Doomheim
#18 - 2012-06-20 03:45:56 UTC
Alts are overrated anyway. Everything alts can do people can do, they just get used for convenience. And CCP is not going to cut off their primary source of income.
Crunchie Attuxors
Always Another Corporate Venture
#19 - 2012-06-20 04:03:41 UTC
Russell Casey wrote:
Alts are overrated anyway. Everything alts can do people can do, they just get used for convenience. And CCP is not going to cut off their primary source of income.


You implying alts are not people?

Shocked
Eve forums official anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudOFG5X6uA Real men tank hull. Fake women shield-tank Gallente.
Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#20 - 2012-06-20 04:05:15 UTC
I have 3 account 1 miner 1 main pvp and 1 transport open in every 3 screens i have multi tasking for the win lol. Nah just make the game a little bit easyer for me. Nothing special about it i think many people have this setup.
123Next page