These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Discussion thread about WiS

First post First post
Author
Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#221 - 2012-05-18 07:05:36 UTC
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:
Lost True wrote:
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:


you know, if you wanted that second life crap, just go play second life?

While talking about "Yet another X crap", there is only 2 games of such kind as Second Life - SL itself and The Sims. First one have many issues, and second one is single player. As for other shooting games - there is a huge list of them, which updates very often. So why wait another one?


you know you are right, i don't want another BF3 COD, those average shooter games focus on the motif of "war sport" where its like impersonal killing, racking up the killcount, no consequences in killing, or dying. dull after a while.

wis needs to focus on the motif of "murder" where it is much more personal, every kill counts and every kill is relished. it is less about the act or mechanics of killing and more about the story, your story, of the events and decisions and your own motivations that led to your current situation right now. it needs to be cinematic.

But how exactly it's will count? CCP will never allow an ordinary player to make some different change. Even in FiS, when you kill someone, what's changes? He'll just buy another ship, most of the players don't buy something for PvP unles they're ready to lose it. If it's a carebear, then of course he have enough ISK. Or even if it's really a big deal for him... What's changes? People kills each other in FiS, and what's the consequences?

There was a dude who made some difference by disbanding a big alliance. That's something. And killing each other... In 0.0 killing it's a consequence of politics, and nothing more, forum posts is the only consequence of killing each other.

Making difference it's just something they tell to new players as advertisement.

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

Gevlin
Planned Obsolescence.
No Visual.
#222 - 2012-05-18 14:31:05 UTC
if it is easy to for 1 person to make a change then no one makes changes as all thinks one way return to the other.
Yet when enough people decide to work together under the leader ship of 1 person then things will happen.

A small person can be apart of a change, Only ammusment park games can be 1 person makes a difference, and that is usually in you own world and some games like Guild wars 2 is doing that.

I think the only chance in Eve for 1 person to make a change will only be in player created missions which I think could be possible with official bot avatars proposed some time ago in eve

Someday I will have the time to play. For now it is mining afk in High sec. In Cheap ships

RAP ACTION HERO
#223 - 2012-05-19 15:53:19 UTC
Lost True wrote:
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:
Lost True wrote:
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:


you know, if you wanted that second life crap, just go play second life?

While talking about "Yet another X crap", there is only 2 games of such kind as Second Life - SL itself and The Sims. First one have many issues, and second one is single player. As for other shooting games - there is a huge list of them, which updates very often. So why wait another one?


you know you are right, i don't want another BF3 COD, those average shooter games focus on the motif of "war sport" where its like impersonal killing, racking up the killcount, no consequences in killing, or dying. dull after a while.

wis needs to focus on the motif of "murder" where it is much more personal, every kill counts and every kill is relished. it is less about the act or mechanics of killing and more about the story, your story, of the events and decisions and your own motivations that led to your current situation right now. it needs to be cinematic.

But how exactly it's will count? CCP will never allow an ordinary player to make some different change. Even in FiS, when you kill someone, what's changes? He'll just buy another ship, most of the players don't buy something for PvP unles they're ready to lose it. If it's a carebear, then of course he have enough ISK. Or even if it's really a big deal for him... What's changes? People kills each other in FiS, and what's the consequences?

There was a dude who made some difference by disbanding a big alliance. That's something. And killing each other... In 0.0 killing it's a consequence of politics, and nothing more, forum posts is the only consequence of killing each other.

Making difference it's just something they tell to new players as advertisement.


Ok here's an idea of making it count, when you murder ppl in wis mode you have the option of harvesting their heads. you may be 1. the implants in their heads and 2. some relevant info on the person, such as market orders, locations residing/traveled, mails, research projects, partial asset lists etc. but only something like a 3 day snap shot. but the murderer will suffer consequences, like getting instant -10 global gcc shootable by anyone for x period of time or something. so it counts for both sides.

consider the following narrative

the deed is done, no time to think, the blood is pooling around your right boot (damn) and alarms are blaring
you must decide whether to risk the delay of performing a full brain-scan or simply cut the head off and shove it in a freeze-pac for further analysis later.
while you are running towards the hanger, you hope it was all worth the trouble, that the brain still contained the info you need. you are hoping for a solid 10 day snapshot of all alliance/corp mails, market orders, contracts, list of assets, locations traveled, anything useful.you reach your hound and chuckle, uttering out loud "until next time" as goo floods your pod.
just another day at the office, dealing in information and death, thank the gods for a little excitement from time to time, it ain't easy being immortal.


vitoc erryday

Rek Seven
Probe Patrol
#224 - 2012-05-19 16:57:32 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:

@ Anyone who knows: If i re-customize my character, is the existing lighting effect and character pose saved?

Yes


No it doesn't. When i go to re-capture my portrait, the pose and facial expression is completely different. Ugh
Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#225 - 2012-05-20 13:43:47 UTC
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:
Lost True wrote:
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:
Lost True wrote:
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:


you know, if you wanted that second life crap, just go play second life?

While talking about "Yet another X crap", there is only 2 games of such kind as Second Life - SL itself and The Sims. First one have many issues, and second one is single player. As for other shooting games - there is a huge list of them, which updates very often. So why wait another one?


you know you are right, i don't want another BF3 COD, those average shooter games focus on the motif of "war sport" where its like impersonal killing, racking up the killcount, no consequences in killing, or dying. dull after a while.

wis needs to focus on the motif of "murder" where it is much more personal, every kill counts and every kill is relished. it is less about the act or mechanics of killing and more about the story, your story, of the events and decisions and your own motivations that led to your current situation right now. it needs to be cinematic.

But how exactly it's will count? CCP will never allow an ordinary player to make some different change. Even in FiS, when you kill someone, what's changes? He'll just buy another ship, most of the players don't buy something for PvP unles they're ready to lose it. If it's a carebear, then of course he have enough ISK. Or even if it's really a big deal for him... What's changes? People kills each other in FiS, and what's the consequences?

There was a dude who made some difference by disbanding a big alliance. That's something. And killing each other... In 0.0 killing it's a consequence of politics, and nothing more, forum posts is the only consequence of killing each other.

Making difference it's just something they tell to new players as advertisement.


Ok here's an idea of making it count, when you murder ppl in wis mode you have the option of harvesting their heads. you may be 1. the implants in their heads and 2. some relevant info on the person, such as market orders, locations residing/traveled, mails, research projects, partial asset lists etc. but only something like a 3 day snap shot. but the murderer will suffer consequences, like getting instant -10 global gcc shootable by anyone for x period of time or something. so it counts for both sides.

consider the following narrative

the deed is done, no time to think, the blood is pooling around your right boot (damn) and alarms are blaring
you must decide whether to risk the delay of performing a full brain-scan or simply cut the head off and shove it in a freeze-pac for further analysis later.
while you are running towards the hanger, you hope it was all worth the trouble, that the brain still contained the info you need. you are hoping for a solid 10 day snapshot of all alliance/corp mails, market orders, contracts, list of assets, locations traveled, anything useful.you reach your hound and chuckle, uttering out loud "until next time" as goo floods your pod.
just another day at the office, dealing in information and death, thank the gods for a little excitement from time to time, it ain't easy being immortal.



Well, that's sounds interesting :)

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

CCP Bayesian
#226 - 2012-05-22 14:16:21 UTC
Just to let you guys know the devblog has been written and is waiting for a slot to go out. :)

EVE Software Engineer Team Space Glitter

RAP ACTION HERO
#227 - 2012-05-22 14:28:05 UTC
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Just to let you guys know the devblog has been written and is waiting for a slot to go out. :)

hope it's a good one

vitoc erryday

JcJet
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#228 - 2012-05-22 15:46:55 UTC
I'm young now.
Cool...Smile
Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#229 - 2012-05-22 15:50:40 UTC
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Just to let you guys know the devblog has been written and is waiting for a slot to go out. :)

Em... a slot?

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

Gevlin
Planned Obsolescence.
No Visual.
#230 - 2012-05-22 16:10:02 UTC
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Just to let you guys know the devblog has been written and is waiting for a slot to go out. :)


feels like team avatar has a dev blog and waiting.... aiming... waiting..... to shoot the eve community with it. Dust 514 Sniper Style.

also the CSM7 is collecting information on the WIS topic so if you wonder up to the Jita's Park Speakers Corner and jump to https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=110150&find=unread
and state a few questions or make a statement?

Someday I will have the time to play. For now it is mining afk in High sec. In Cheap ships

oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#231 - 2012-05-24 14:55:05 UTC
?

R.S.I2014

RAP ACTION HERO
#232 - 2012-05-25 03:04:28 UTC
oldbutfeelingyoung wrote:
?

reported, spamming

vitoc erryday

CCP Bayesian
#233 - 2012-05-25 11:25:12 UTC
Lost True wrote:
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Just to let you guys know the devblog has been written and is waiting for a slot to go out. :)

Em... a slot?


In the publishing schedule. It should be hitting the interwebs on the 29th.

EVE Software Engineer Team Space Glitter

oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#234 - 2012-05-25 14:50:28 UTC
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:
oldbutfeelingyoung wrote:
?

reported, spamming


pls report me again this is spam!!!!!

R.S.I2014

oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#235 - 2012-05-25 14:51:09 UTC
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Lost True wrote:
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Just to let you guys know the devblog has been written and is waiting for a slot to go out. :)

Em... a slot?


In the publishing schedule. It should be hitting the interwebs on the 29th.



looking out for it thanks for the notification

R.S.I2014

Michael Harari
Genos Occidere
HYDRA RELOADED
#236 - 2012-05-25 16:19:55 UTC
Astrid Stjerna wrote:
Francisco Bizzaro wrote:

Seedy bars and smuggling houses sound good, but when implemented usually correspond to an NPC in a dark corner with an exclamation mark over his head, surrounded by dancing yahoos running in and out after picking up their "quests" or whatever. Kind of kills the atmosphere.


The thing is, EvE doesn't have to be like that. Try and picture a scene like this taking place in a bar somewhere in Metropolis:

You walk into the bar, and the first person you see is your contact -- he's hunched over the table in the rear, his face obscured by the shadows cast in the wake of the overhead lamp.

You've come a long way to meet this man. The 'item' you want cost a small fortune, and it took three weeks for him to find it, but find it he did. Rumor has it that he paid off a few pirates to make sure it got back in one piece...

You don't know his name. Just his face, from the brief, cryptic conversations you had over the Summit link in the early hours of the morning.

You approach the table...

And as you move to sit down, three more figures step from the corner, and your so-far-profitable day goes straight to hell.


Now, imagine that your contact is a real person. Not some AI or an NPC, but a real living being, who one day decided that you just weren't paying him enough and decided to shop around for an employer who would be more 'accomodating'.

There's just one hitch: his new patron is willing to pay a lot more for the very goods that you expected to recieve tonight.

What happens next? Negotiate, fight, or flee? Or do you backstab him in revenge?

EvE is about the 'sandbox'. How you play -- and how you deal with the unexpected -- is up to you.


This isnt eve. In eve, when you want something, you log on your jita alt, buy it and ship it via red frog to your main.

What you wrote is a very nice scene - for a different game.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#237 - 2012-05-25 19:07:37 UTC
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Lost True wrote:
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Just to let you guys know the devblog has been written and is waiting for a slot to go out. :)

Em... a slot?


In the publishing schedule. It should be hitting the interwebs on the 29th.


Marked, THX for the tip.
Baby ChuChu
Ice Cream Asylum
#238 - 2012-05-26 12:11:15 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Lost True wrote:
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Just to let you guys know the devblog has been written and is waiting for a slot to go out. :)

Em... a slot?


In the publishing schedule. It should be hitting the interwebs on the 29th.


Marked, THX for the tip.


I 2nd this 'thank you.'
Lipbite
Express Hauler
#239 - 2012-05-26 12:37:05 UTC
After playing Skyrim for a couple of months with tons of player-made modifications I suddenly realized Incarna graphics is on par with wonderful Skirim graphics polished by hundreds of man-hours spent by enthusiasts - Bethesda itself released their game with minimal set of shadows, lighting maps, post-processing effects, weak skin and faces textures.

I guess it's proper place to say "thanks a lot!" to the Incarna "WiS" team for quality of your work despite it's limited to just 4 types of jail cells. Also thanks for announce of blog article on 29th - looking forward to know about future WiS boost.
Xhaiden Ora
Doomheim
#240 - 2012-05-26 12:38:24 UTC
Lipbite wrote:
I guess it's proper place to say "thanks a lot!" to the Incarna "WiS" team for quality of your work despite it's limited to just 4 types of jail cells. Also thanks for announce of blog article on 29th - looking forward to know about future WiS boost.


If nothing else, EVE's avatars are of incredibly high quality, yes.