These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Amazing roleplaying donrt understand the negativity

First post First post
Author
Amanda Holland
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-04-30 06:06:08 UTC
First, yes, this is a NPC alt and this IS an NPC alt not because Im being sarcastic or trolling but cause if I expressed these feelings on my main I may well be kicked out of my corp.


Man I dont get all the negativity and real hate thrown Mittani's way. The whole act at Fanfest and since just shows that guy is friggin brilliant.
The drunken comment and afterwards is amazing when you look at it in the light of he was RPing. He was RPing the most evil alliance leader in EVE what ELSE was he supposed to say/do? Thats who his character is. Is this NOT an mmo RPG thats a giant sandbox and ppl can PLAY how they want? Id almost go so far as to say the "thrown under the bus" metagame of him on Twitter was more RP designed to hype this up even more and garner more PR for CCP.
Who better to best the evil company thats doing the game wrong by listening to the wrong crowd than the egotistical, arrogant supreme commander of the evil hordes of Goonfleet? Who better to take the battle directly to them than this larger tan life guy who gets voted into the CSM to bring the fight to Iceland?

The greatest things about the FF and fallout since fiasco has been him PAINTING it i the light OF RP so that anything he does from here on out, he can throw up the "RP" flag like the pirates in "pirates of the caribbean" (particularly Jack) would "pirate" like it obvious when they did something underhanded.

I just dont get all the hate they throw his way, especially from the "its a game..." crowd and the "real psychopathies that you act out in game" crowds as youd think at least THEY would understand the difference between the man and the role.

Do you think Anthony Hopkins is REALLY a cannibal because he played the part of one? Or that Heath Leger was REALLY a Homicidal Joker character because he played one in a movie?"
Think of the game as a movie we all get to plat a part in and youll see why that "ppl that play this game are sociopaths IRL" argument is the purest horseshit

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) vroom vroom motorcycle CCP to the sandbox: "This "adapt or die" attitude is nothing new to EVE, but we want to give it a constant rhythm that is a bit more under our control than in the past"

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2012-04-30 06:15:42 UTC
This was so 37 seconds ago.



Um, I mean 37 days ago, why bring up old **** again? This thread topic is like a scab and you just gotta keep picking at it.
THE L0CK
Denying You Access
#3 - 2012-04-30 06:17:21 UTC
Must be a slow week.

Do you smell what the Lock's cooking?

Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#4 - 2012-04-30 06:18:28 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
This was so 37 seconds ago.



Um, I mean 37 days ago, why bring up old **** again? This thread topic is like a scab and you just gotta keep picking at it.


You do it plenty enough.

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

Amanda Holland
Doomheim
#5 - 2012-04-30 06:19:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Amanda Holland
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
This was so 37 seconds ago.



Um, I mean 37 days ago, why bring up old **** again? This thread topic is like a scab and you just gotta keep picking at it.


um Ice seen a whole lotta anti-mittani no non Goon pre him tho
and um... cause I can?

Lapine Davion wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
This was so 37 seconds ago.



Um, I mean 37 days ago, why bring up old **** again? This thread topic is like a scab and you just gotta keep picking at it.


You do it plenty enough.


that too and are fast to criticise when others do

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) vroom vroom motorcycle CCP to the sandbox: "This "adapt or die" attitude is nothing new to EVE, but we want to give it a constant rhythm that is a bit more under our control than in the past"

Pres Crendraven
#6 - 2012-04-30 06:19:42 UTC
gagged so hard Im downloading wow

Meta34me

Corp and Alliance details hidden to protect the innocent.

Amanda Holland
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-04-30 06:22:28 UTC
and Im not a Goon. THEY tend to be pro Mittani without hiding behind NPC alts lol

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) vroom vroom motorcycle CCP to the sandbox: "This "adapt or die" attitude is nothing new to EVE, but we want to give it a constant rhythm that is a bit more under our control than in the past"

Vaal Erit
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-04-30 06:28:06 UTC
Came expecting robes and hats. Leaving disappointed.
Amanda Holland
Doomheim
#9 - 2012-04-30 06:35:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Amanda Holland
Vaal Erit wrote:
Came expecting robes and hats. Leaving disappointed.


Dunno, I liked the hat lol

Yeah im sorry there werent more torches and crosses in the thread. I just dont se the point in hating someone good at RP lol

especially when RP is usually looked down on in MMOs

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) vroom vroom motorcycle CCP to the sandbox: "This "adapt or die" attitude is nothing new to EVE, but we want to give it a constant rhythm that is a bit more under our control than in the past"

Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#10 - 2012-04-30 06:41:21 UTC
First, I'd like to note that Heath Ledger killed himself shortly after playing that role, following a period of depression where he stayed in doors and refused to communicate with friends, family, or peers to my knowledge.

That doesn't speak well of the effects of role-acting a clinically insane, twisted freak of nature on the mind of the actor. Less so when that actor delves to deeply into the psyche of the character in an attempt to better understand his motivations and intentions to improve their ability to portray the persona and archetype of that character.

Did you know that Friedrich Nietzsche slowly developed insanity during his career as a writer, delving into the less savory aspects of humankind, their nature, and the nature of Evil. Trying to understand such things isn't always a good idea; particularly if someone is already slightly imbalanced of mind as he was. Of course, it might have just been something in the Ink.

Anyway, on to the topic. Yes, some of us do understand the difference between a character and a persona and the person themselves. It helps if you know the person, but that is not always necessary if you have some video of them like we do of the Mittani.

He was not RPing his character, but rather being himself with regards to his persona. There is nothing to say that he would have said what he did were he not drunk, but reliably, we can say that he said what he did because he was drunk.

The reason we can say that is because he was, and quite often as the Mittani playing in game he is. Similar circumstances allow for similar behaviour; particularly when drunk. It does not mean that he meant it or wishes the person ill, but rather indicates that he was unfettered in his train of thought and acting as he normally would when drunk. That is not the same as being a psychopath.

It is for this reason that it is easy to forgive his actions and even ignore them in there entirity for their simplicity. When drunk, we often do or say things that we do not truly mean, simply for the effect they will have on others or because we believe it is expected of us. We do not have to have the intention of harming others to have the effect of harming others.

In some cases people have a shoddy misconception of appropriateness and behave accordingly with this poorly conceived perception. It is the case with the Mittani and his behaviour is a reflection of the attitudes anbd behaviours common to many an internet gamer amongst his or her peers. If we are around people who behave inappropriately, then it is likely that we will begin to behave inappropriately ourselves.

I could go on, but those who understand this likely already know and those who don't likely never will. It is also very possible that some people hate the Mittani for RP purposes or because he is the Mittani, and for know other reason. Without knowing them individually or having some example of their character we may never know.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure Anthony Hopkins is a cannibal. Lol j/k of course. Smile
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#11 - 2012-04-30 06:43:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Akirei Scytale
I roleplay a dude playing a troll playing a dudette. Deal with it.
Kuehnelt
Devoid Privateering
#12 - 2012-04-30 06:43:46 UTC
The problem with your perspective is that Goonswarm is "Something Awful forums... in space!" It's such an otherworldly group that, if EVE were real, it would be a bigger mystery than the sleepers, or the rogue drones, or what's up with the Sansha, or how are the Jove doing. It's such an otherworldly group that there should be NPC buy orders for Goon corpses, so that NPC scientists can struggle with the question of WTF is causing all these capsuleers who have nothing in common to congregate in this way, and behave as they do.

Perhaps they'd conclude that a Goon is an ASCII penis's way of creating an ASCII penis.
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#13 - 2012-04-30 06:45:46 UTC
Amanda Holland wrote:
and Im not a Goon. THEY tend to be pro Mittani without hiding behind NPC alts lol




10,000 alts can't bee wrong? Cool






Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Amanda Holland
Doomheim
#14 - 2012-04-30 06:49:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Amanda Holland
Mars Theran wrote:
First, I'd like to note that Heath Ledger killed himself shortly after playing that role, following a period of depression where he stayed in doors and refused to communicate with friends, family, or peers to my knowledge.

That doesn't speak well of the effects of role-acting a clinically insane, twisted freak of nature on the mind of the actor. Less so when that actor delves to deeply into the psyche of the character in an attempt to better understand his motivations and intentions to improve their ability to portray the persona and archetype of that character.

Did you know that Friedrich Nietzsche slowly developed insanity during his career as a writer, delving into the less savory aspects of humankind, their nature, and the nature of Evil. Trying to understand such things isn't always a good idea; particularly if someone is already slightly imbalanced of mind as he was. Of course, it might have just been something in the Ink.



cause there was nothing wrong with them before they did what they did yes?
somehow I think maybe Leger was depressed FIRST and/or had issue BEFORE playing the part. You note how he DIDNT replay part of the Joker where he murdered ppl wantonly and blew up buildings. Nietsche was likely already insane... I doubt writing DROVER him insane.

the above is like saying anyone that played a psycho and then didnt kill ppl in real life afterwards were just lucky -.-
Hell Stephen King should be restrained and dribbling in a bucket by now.

Beekeeper Bob wrote:
Amanda Holland wrote:
and Im not a Goon. THEY tend to be pro Mittani without hiding behind NPC alts lol


10,000 alts can't bee wrong? Cool



yeah none of those votes were ppl that actually wanted him in. they HAD to all be alts.

Mars Theran wrote:


He was not RPing his character, but rather being himself with regards to his persona. There is nothing to say that he would have said what he did were he not drunk, but reliably, we can say that he said what he did because he was drunk.



no, he was RPing. outrageously so cause he was drunk but still RPing.
Ive RPed Malkavians (and LARPed them) that doesnt make me insane OR homicidal nor do I actually want to drink blood. I did it cause it was fun and NOT me. Thats why I like RPs. To play someone totally UNLIKE me.

Im almost totally the opposite of the person I am in game.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) vroom vroom motorcycle CCP to the sandbox: "This "adapt or die" attitude is nothing new to EVE, but we want to give it a constant rhythm that is a bit more under our control than in the past"

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2012-04-30 07:04:51 UTC  |  Edited by: DeMichael Crimson
Amanda Holland wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
This was so 37 seconds ago.



Um, I mean 37 days ago, why bring up old **** again? This thread topic is like a scab and you just gotta keep picking at it.


um Ice seen a whole lotta anti-mittani no non Goon pre him tho
and um... cause I can?

Lapine Davion wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
This was so 37 seconds ago.



Um, I mean 37 days ago, why bring up old **** again? This thread topic is like a scab and you just gotta keep picking at it.


You do it plenty enough.


that too and are fast to criticise when others do

You fail hard at trying to discredit me with your pathetic troll attack.

I have never once started a thread about that crap. Some people sure wanna keep bringing it back up even after CCP has already locked each and every thread pertaining to that topic.
Scien Inkunen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2012-04-30 07:09:08 UTC
Amanda Holland wrote:
First, yes, this is a NPC alt and this IS an NPC alt not because Im being sarcastic or trolling but cause if I expressed these feelings on my main I may well be kicked out of my corp.


Man I dont get all the negativity and real hate thrown Mittani's way. The whole act at Fanfest and since just shows that guy is friggin brilliant.
The drunken comment and afterwards is amazing when you look at it in the light of he was RPing. He was RPing the most evil alliance leader in EVE what ELSE was he supposed to say/do? Thats who his character is. Is this NOT an mmo RPG thats a giant sandbox and ppl can PLAY how they want? Id almost go so far as to say the "thrown under the bus" metagame of him on Twitter was more RP designed to hype this up even more and garner more PR for CCP.
Who better to best the evil company thats doing the game wrong by listening to the wrong crowd than the egotistical, arrogant supreme commander of the evil hordes of Goonfleet? Who better to take the battle directly to them than this larger tan life guy who gets voted into the CSM to bring the fight to Iceland?

The greatest things about the FF and fallout since fiasco has been him PAINTING it i the light OF RP so that anything he does from here on out, he can throw up the "RP" flag like the pirates in "pirates of the caribbean" (particularly Jack) would "pirate" like it obvious when they did something underhanded.

I just dont get all the hate they throw his way, especially from the "its a game..." crowd and the "real psychopathies that you act out in game" crowds as youd think at least THEY would understand the difference between the man and the role.

Do you think Anthony Hopkins is REALLY a cannibal because he played the part of one? Or that Heath Leger was REALLY a Homicidal Joker character because he played one in a movie?"
Think of the game as a movie we all get to plat a part in and youll see why that "ppl that play this game are sociopaths IRL" argument is the purest horseshit



So, EVE is actualy Holywood at its best?
So manny good actors .... - let start giving Oscar for role playing.

Read the "Fart file" and you will understand the meaning of life !

Seleia O'Sinnor
Drop of Honey
#17 - 2012-04-30 07:24:56 UTC
Who is this Mintanni?

Odyssey: Repacking in POS hangars for modules +1,  but please for other stuff too, especially containers. Make containers openable in POS hangars.

Amanda Holland
Doomheim
#18 - 2012-04-30 07:45:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Amanda Holland
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Amanda Holland wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
This was so 37 seconds ago.



Um, I mean 37 days ago, why bring up old **** again? This thread topic is like a scab and you just gotta keep picking at it.


um Ice seen a whole lotta anti-mittani no non Goon pre him tho
and um... cause I can?

Lapine Davion wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
This was so 37 seconds ago.



Um, I mean 37 days ago, why bring up old **** again? This thread topic is like a scab and you just gotta keep picking at it.


You do it plenty enough.


that too and are fast to criticise when others do

. Some people sure wanna keep bringing it back up even after CCP has already locked each and every thread pertaining to that topic.


observation you disagree with =/= troll attack
but then I expect you to be hammering on the report button every thread by now anyway lol

Cause you know, why argue the point when you can run to CCP

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) vroom vroom motorcycle CCP to the sandbox: "This "adapt or die" attitude is nothing new to EVE, but we want to give it a constant rhythm that is a bit more under our control than in the past"

Akrasjel Lanate
Lanate Industries
#19 - 2012-04-30 07:57:18 UTC
Amanda Holland wrote:
Vaal Erit wrote:
Came expecting robes and hats. Leaving disappointed.


Dunno, I liked the hat lol

Yeah im sorry there werent more torches and crosses in the thread. I just dont se the point in hating someone good at RP lol

especially when RP is usually looked down on in MMOs


ShockedShockedShocked

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#20 - 2012-04-30 08:23:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Mars Theran
What you fail to understand about my post, is that Heath Ledger was not RPing the Joker when he killed himself. I'm not even saying he did it because he played the Joker, but more making an observation and tying the facts together, (as best I know them), in a fashion that pioints to a possible reason for his actions.

It isn't the maniacal clown that was the issue so much as the contrary nature of the character with Heath Ledgers own character. He delved into something that went against everything he was, burrowed deeply in, and then failed to reconcile who he was with who he had become as a result of this. Or potentially so at any rate.

Nietzsche was neither insane nor crazy at the beginning of his career to the best of my knowledge but slowly became that way. Now, while it is well known that inks in that period often had unpleasant things in them like Mercury, arsenic, and various other things that were harmful to body and mind if ingested, (Not saying specifically those things, but you get the idea), there were many authors of the time who did not suffer insanity over prolonged periods of using them. Not obviously at any rate.

What we do know however, is that many who delve into the supernatural or try to understand the nature of evil or even make a pact with it quite often go insane or lose their minds entirely. Some just go crazy in one fashion or another. This is very common among those who practice witchcraft, various other unmentionable practices, and study to deeply things which were never meant to be understood or simply do not exist.

Nietzsches entire career was centered around subjects such as these and others and it is not hard to believe they were his eventual undoing.

Regardless, I understand that many RPers will vehemently defend what it is they enjoy to do, and you are no exception. I very much doubt you are telling the truth when you emphasize that you and your character are opposites however. People seldom are, though they might be, (and often are), unwilling to admit as much.

That doesn't mean you aren't; it just means that I doubt it.

edit: also, you are far to concerned about peoples perceptions of the Mittani. It is what it is; he only received a temporary ban, and the game goes on as normal with his return. The only real difference is he does not hold the chair for the CSM anymore, which may be as much a relief to him as some of us. Smile

Honestly, I couldn't care either way, but it is a funny thought.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
123Next pageLast page